Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Well.

The only reason would to shutdown the computer, and you don't need to go into metro to do that either
  • Reply 62 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

How many people really put there computers to sleep…

I'd also question how many people search for files. Pro users maybe (perhaps the small percentage that actually click start), doesn't everyone else just open them from the program or use the file browser? Really basic users just have everything on the desktop.

As for settings, again how many people actually change settings.

Don't argue just to argue. You'll wind up saying stupid things like this.

…at home you just leave it to go to sleep on its own.

Not in the experience of anyone I've known, from people who know how to flash graphics card BIOS to people who don't know what a cursor is until they're told. They do it manually, and they should be doing it manually, because why would you waste power like that?

There is seriously no need to click start…

Do you not understand that it might be just a little bit stupid to make one billion people rely on a feature for over twenty years… and then take it away?

So apart from clicking the desktop button when your machine turns on, you can completely ignore metro.

So, just like I said, you are FORCED to use Metro.

People like touch screens, they won't replace mice and keyboards but they do want them.

People don't have a clue what they want. They don't want vertical touchscreens, which is what you're implying.

• Reply 63 of 84
    So, just like I said, you are FORCED to use Metro.

No you are not, there are a number of applications that leave you in desktop mode all the time
  • Reply 64 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No you are not, there are a number of applications that leave you in desktop mode all the time

Then why did you say otherwise?

• Reply 65 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfanning wrote: »

What applications are these for Windows RT?
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Then why did you say otherwise?

I didn't, I said there was a number of applications that mean you don't have to use Metro, these are easy to find.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »

Sorry I don't know, I haven't used a Windows RT machine. Although, since they are a touch device, I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of the metro interface, it is much better for touch than the desktop mode.

edit: Just did a search on adding start menu to RT, found quite a few options there as well
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Sorry I don't know, I haven't used a Windows RT machine. Although, since they are a touch device, I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of the metro interface, it is much better for touch than the desktop mode.

edit: Just did a search on adding start menu to RT, found quite a few options there as well

Regardless of whether you have the classic desktop enabled or not Windows RT is still only for ARM, which means no typical Windows app will load on it, which means you have to go through the Windows Store to install apps on this desktop OS, hence my comment.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Regardless of whether you have the classic desktop enabled or not Windows RT is still only for ARM, which means no typical Windows app will load on it, which means you have to go through the Windows Store to install apps on this desktop OS, hence my comment.

I believe we are both correct, you can add the start menu back to RT, and yes, you can only get apps via the Windows Store on RT. Although, on Windows 8 (x86) you can side load metro apps via a GPO, I don't know if this works with RT as well
  • Reply 70 of 84
    I believe we are both correct, you can add the start menu back to RT, and yes, you can only get apps via the Windows Store on RT. Although, on Windows 8 (x86) you can side load metro apps via a GPO, I don't know if this works with RT as well

You can side load apps with iOS, too, but neither iTunes for Windows or any other of the millions of Windows apps designed for the x86 or x86_64 environment will run.

There is no Rosetta Stone-like emulator for Windows RT. One, because it's going the other way in performance from what Apple did with PPC to Intel. Two, it's not the sort of thing MS would invest in anyway.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    You can side load apps with iOS, too, but neither iTunes for Windows or any other of the millions of Windows apps designed for the x86 or x86_64 environment will run.

There is no Rosetta Stone-like emulator for Windows RT. One, because it's going the other way in performance from what Apple did with PPC to Intel. Two, it's not the sort of thing MS would invest in anyway.

No OSX apps will run on the iPad either. If you want to run x86 apps, purchase a Windows 8 tablet
  • Reply 72 of 84
    No OSX apps will run on the iPad either. If you want to run x86 apps, purchase a Windows 8 tablet

Not the same thing. iOS is more inline with Windows Phone OS. There is a reason Apple did't put Mac OS X on the iPad, unlike MS putting Windows desktop that can run on ARM.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Not the same thing. iOS is more inline with Windows Phone OS. There is a reason Apple did't put Mac OS X on the iPad, unlike MS putting Windows desktop that can run on ARM.

And Windows 8 RT is not Windows 8 x86, I'm not exactly sure where you are going with all of this. Getting back to the title of the thread, 100 million sales of Windows 8, they haven't said RT there
  • Reply 74 of 84
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Why would you care about being forced into metro if you had an RT device. Surley the fact you have an RT device must mean you like metro, otherwise why did you buy it.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Why would you care about being forced into metro if you had an RT device. Surley the fact you have an RT device must mean you like metro, otherwise why did you buy it.

It's a desktop OS. Just as I'd be very upset if I bought Mac OS X and found that I couldn't load the apps I wanted — something that happened with many Windows users that bought 64-bit versions years ago — I'd be upset if I bought a ARM-based Windows notebook and found that I couldn't load the apps. No, Windows RT doesn't mean you *like* Metro as it still has the Classic desktop. In fact running any version of Windows doesn't even mean you *like* Windows.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    lxk668lxk668 Posts: 2member

I do not like using windows 8, I feel it is difficult and inconvenient to use than Windows 7 that I'm using. Maybe Windows 8 will fit tablet or laptop equipped with touch screen. Anyway it is a new operating system, later it will be more familiar

• Reply 77 of 84
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    It's a desktop OS. Just as I'd be very upset if I bought Mac OS X and found that I couldn't load the apps I wanted — something that happened with many Windows users that bought 64-bit versions years ago — I'd be upset if I bought a ARM-based Windows notebook and found that I couldn't load the apps. No, Windows RT doesn't mean you *like* Metro as it still has the Classic desktop. In fact running any version of Windows doesn't even mean you *like* Windows.
    OSX has that exact issue where they drop support for things in the OS. 90% of the software ive bought for OSX no longer works on the latest version. Am i upset though? No, the software didnt say it would work on all future versions and it was my choice to upgrade.

If you buy a Windows 8 tablet your buying it for RT apps. They had 0% of the tablet market with the classic desktop mode, so the number of people buying RT and wanting to escape metro is going to be virtually 0.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    maclancer wrote: »
    Microsoft failed in Windows 8 because they did not create a system in which when you have to install the OS it will recognize if it's a tablet or desktop computer. Instead they just throw in your face the modern UI even if you are using a desktop with not touch functionalety. That makes Windows 8 the second coming of Vista.

Vista was a different world of hurt. Smart people don't need to lump all situations in sand basket.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    OSX has that exact issue where they drop support for things in the OS. 90% of the software ive bought for OSX no longer works on the latest version. Am i upset though? No, the software didnt say it would work on all future versions and it was my choice to upgrade.

If you buy a Windows 8 tablet your buying it for RT apps. They had 0% of the tablet market with the classic desktop mode, so the number of people buying RT and wanting to escape metro is going to be virtually 0.

Can you list all the OSX software that no longer work in the latest version? I'm having trouble believing that unless you use rather exotic apps.
  • Reply 80 of 84

According to Jobs, they did put MacOS in the iDevices :)