Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Can you list all the OSX software that no longer work in the latest version? I'm having trouble believing that unless you use rather exotic apps.

We just bought a new Mac for my wife. Her old one did not support Mountain Lion. After running the Migration Assistant she asked, "What does it mean when an icon has that circle with a line through it over it?" I glanced at her screen to see her dock and Apps fan littered with disabled app icons. I have no idea what they were and haven't had reason to follow up on it, but apparently just the single step from Lion to Mountain rendered a bunch of stuff inoperable. I gotta figure at least some of those could be restored via an update to the app though, and as more and more of our software is purchased via the App Store that will get even easier.

• Reply 82 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    v5v wrote: »
    We just bought a new Mac for my wife. Her old one did not support Mountain Lion. After running the Migration Assistant she asked, "What does it mean when an icon has that circle with a line through it over it?" I glanced at her screen to see her dock and Apps fan littered with disabled app icons. I have no idea what they were and haven't had reason to follow up on it, but apparently just the single step from Lion to Mountain rendered a bunch of stuff inoperable. I gotta figure at least some of those could be restored via an update to the app though, and as more and more of our software is purchased via the App Store that will get even easier.

What was her old Mac?
  • Reply 83 of 84
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Can you list all the OSX software that no longer work in the latest version? I'm having trouble believing that unless you use rather exotic apps.

Off the top of my head MS Office, Adobe Fireworks, and a load of games.

They mostly all relate to OSX switching to Intel processors with isn't to different to Windows switching to ARM. Leopard would support PowerPC apps through Rosetta. Snow Leopard then removed Rosetta and you had to install it manually to get your Power PC apps to run. Lion then dropped all support completely.

Aside from intel switchover though I've had full screen games that no longer work relating to differences in graphics cards when you get a new machines. And there is just software that doesn't work following OS upgrades, this site and Mac Rumors tend to publish an article around the time listing known issues.

It's completely unavoidable. You either make the OS completely bloated by trying to make everything work or force people to update there software with there OS. The same as if people want a low powered processor there going to need software that can run on it.. The Windows 8 metro apps actually make the situation slightly better as there (mostly) an extra layer of abstraction away from the processor they don't need to be recompiled for each processer.

• Reply 84 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What was her old Mac?

A1211. Late 2006 MacBook Pro 15.