Big changes coming to AppleCare this fall: warranty subscriptions, in-store iOS device repairs, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    What? A huge change that will benefit the customer? Sounds unreal in this day and age. It actually makes sense rather than sounding like a reduced service covered with hogwash. The subscription service per client rather per device could be great. Hopefully they will have a family option - this house has 11 active devices.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

I hope prices are adjusted accordingly so that it doesn't cost the current $160 if all you need is a new Home button.

• Reply 23 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...The bigger picture, though, is 13,000 Apple employees seeing all of those big trees as soon as the campus is open, and having a mature looking pasture to inspire them. This may sound sentimental, but it's that thinking that misses the point. The most important people who work at Apple are the creative people, and they, above everyone, need stuff like this to function right. I know I personally get very inspired when I'm in nature, and I especially have a thing for big trees. One good idea from one of those people could easily pay for all of those trees many times over. An idea which may have been a product of the inspiration those very trees provided, and overall the work at Apple would be better as a result. This is what gets missed if you just look at the numbers.

Hopefully it will inspire them to not be so geeky with the user interface, so it's actually intuitive, flexible and more usable (and with a better graplhic design sense).

• Reply 24 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

If Browett were still in charge of Retail, you'd bring in an iPhone needing repairs and you'd get back a Samsung fished out of a garbage can.

• Reply 25 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

On top of the fact that you're $900.00 phone is being replaced with a much cheaper refurbished product (a rip-off in and of itself), 

$900 and used by you, so yeah you get a used device back. That said, actually it isn't a refurb cause Apple uses that term for returned retail sales where they QA the whole unit, replace the battery and enclosure and sell it to someone at a slightly reduced cost. 

What you get at the bar is a reconditioned or new item. THey have no way of knowing what any serial is so don't bother asking. A reconditioned phone means each part is tested separately and all the good parts go back to the factory line where they are used to assemble 'service parts'. Any bad part is melted etc and the materials used to make new parts. 

• Reply 26 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Sounds great to save 1 billion a year, but who the heck was in charge before this change?  I could understand some fine tuning saving a few bucks, but for a billion dollars someone should be getting canned.

That being said I have nothing, but positive experiences in dealing with Apple's customer service unlike about 90% of the companies I deal with.

It likely has to do with needing the phones to be built in a way that the techs, some of which are basically fresh out of college age, can pull out separate parts without risk of damaging anything else. And in a reasonable quick fashion. It's not that much of an advantage to the consumer of it takes 2 hours to replace a speaker. 

• Reply 27 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I hope prices are adjusted accordingly so that it doesn't cost the current $160 if all you need is a new Home button.

Of course they will be, then again if you are under the limited warranty or Apple Care what do care cause unless they can prove you broke the home button it won't cost you a dime. 

However, you should perhaps be irked cause last I checked Apple Care + was still US only. So with that, I break my iPhone 5 and it's $49 not $200+ to replace. But you might still have to shell out the whole thing. Now how fair is that. 

• Reply 28 of 70
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am fairly certain that statutes mandate that any tree which is displaced or removed must be replaced by a like tree. In fact, here is the reference.

Sorry, I got sidetracked by the crazy tree guy.  Obviously they would have to comply with the statute.

• Reply 29 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That said, actually it isn't a refurb cause Apple uses that term for returned retail sales where they QA the whole unit, replace the battery and enclosure and sell it to someone at a slightly reduced cost. 

I don't wanna be an Apple-basher, but this is a particularly sore spot for me. At the Apple refurb department, "inspect" and "QA" seem to mean "make sure it's not on fire before putting it in a box and reselling it." We've received stuff from the refurb store that was SO f'd up that there is no way in hell it could possibly have been powered up before reselling it. Even a blind, deaf imbecile could tell the device was NOT working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What you get at the bar is a reconditioned or new item. THey have no way of knowing what any serial is so don't bother asking. A reconditioned phone means each part is tested separately and all the good parts go back to the factory line where they are used to assemble 'service parts'. Any bad part is melted etc and the materials used to make new parts. 

Are you sure? It seems like it would be a lot quicker, easier and cheaper to replace whatever part is reported faulty then pack it up for the next guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

As neat and painless as it is to walk out with a swapped iPhone in 30 seconds, this sounds more efficient/less wasteful.

It also eliminates the "Fixed this but now THAT is broken" nature of replacing with refurbs.

I dropped my iPhone 4 and smashed the screen so I paid the just-under-two-hundred-bucks-after-tax for a replacement. I've got 7 weeks on the new one and one of the volume control buttons is failing. So, the exchange fixed one problem but introduced a new one. They've offered to replace it again, but they don't have any right now. I have to go back a third time when they do.

Now I'm worried that replacing it with another refurb will just introduce ANOTHER problem I didn't have before. At least with a repair, the only change is the faulty bit.

• Reply 30 of 70
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

One AppleCare subscription to cover all of my Apple gear would be pretty cool. 

• Reply 31 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] In another huge departure, Apple will reportedly reconfigure its paid AppleCare service as a subscription model, or introduce a new tier, which will be attached to a customer rather than a specific product. Under the proposed system, a customer is entitled to in-store training similar to the One to One program available to new Mac buyers, with each device owned being covered by the warranty.

I must be misreading this, or perhaps the information is inaccurate. Is this saying that I could buy a subscription and get "warranty" coverage for ALL of my Apple hardware? Even our old 2006 MacBook Pro?

I can see offering phone support on a subscription, and I'd opt in even just for that, but I can't imagine they'd handle warranty like this. I'd sure love to be wrong, though.

Maybe they mean a "per device" subscription. Even that would be cool, since there's presently no way to extend coverage past the original AppleCare.

• Reply 32 of 70
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

If they can repair it while I wait, that's one thing. If not, then I'd rather they stick with swapping out devices thanks.

• Reply 33 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    In another huge departure, Apple will reportedly reconfigure its paid AppleCare service as a subscription model

Much better. If they make it $10/m, that's a lot easier to handle than the initial outlay. Sure, IT departments hate subscriptions, it may cost more for people who only buy a warranty with every other computer and after many years of paying you still have nothing to show for it but this would be a better setup IMO than the huge upfront payments. Per person is great too as they can get rid of the pricing tiers per product. They can have $5/m for iOS devices, $10/m for iOS and Mac, covering up to 1 iPhone, 1 iPad and 1 Mac. They can add additional $5/m to cover additional machines.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Finally! This is one area that Apple not only excels but can push the envelope even further without the competition being able to follow suit. Peace of mind goes a long way when determining user satisfaction and by extension getting a repeat customer.

THIS is the key point. Rivals like Samsung simply cannot match this. Not in a thousand years.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe. If that was needed. But it isn't.

I know, right?  I wonder how many people pay for AppleCare.  Apple offers great support, but their products are made so well that I don't see the reason why anyone would buy it.  I've never had anything go wrong with any of my iPhones, iPads or MBPs (knock on wood).  Kinda seems like you're just throwing money away unless you need the phone support for w/e reason.

• Reply 36 of 70
    fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member

Who cares about in-store repair (i think it's in fact bad news for many users - because the "exchange" program was very valuable for many - most people including me have received always the new device - staff from the store grabbing the new device from the shelf and giving it to replace the old broken one but without new packaging - so that you can't resell it as new one, but anyway most people just reselling them - many such listings on eBay always)

WHERE's the INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR iPHONE???????????????

The current warranty terms are just ridiculous - that iPhones and iPods and etc. don't have warranty coverage in other country when you will come inside Apple repair in Europe for example.

I haven't had problems with Apple products before (many Powerbooks, numerous iPods and iPhones goes through my hands), but the iPhone 5 was the first one DISASTER in my life with Apple brand (the only problem which i remember - was the iBook 12 with some glitch of it's DVD-drive - the movies from DVDs was playing with flickering defect - i sold that iBook right away).

The iPhone 5, unlocked, which was bought in Apple Store and in USA was with not functioning home button right out of the sealed box (this defect wasn't only with me - i found the many same cases on Apple Support Discussion Board about iphone 5 and home button) and of course with "famous scuffs" on the side (not so big like in cases of other people but they present). This was my first awful experience with Apple, but the other awful thing was the urgent business trip in Europe in that time period and i was using this broken iPhone 5 with simulated home button (it's the function of "special assist" under the preferences) more than a month and wasn't able to replace it by warranty. Because Apple don't recognize the american warranty in Europe and vice versa - if you are in another country and your Apple device under warranty (except Macbooks - only them have international coverage) not working - you are screwed by every local official Apple representative - you will need to return into that country where you bought your iPhone and only there the warranty is eligible.

• Reply 37 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post

Who cares about in-store repair

People who go to Apple Stores, I'd guess.

WHERE's the INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR iPHONE???????????????

Here.

The current warranty terms are just ridiculous - that iPhones and iPods and etc. don't have warranty coverage in other country when you will come inside Apple repair in Europe for example.

The agreement says they do.

Because Apple don't recognize the american warranty in Europe and vice versa…

The agreement explicitly says they do.

• Reply 38 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    You are on drugs right now right?  I mean, I just want to confirm your "tree" theory of inspiration is the product of some chemical reaction and not an actual drug free thought. 

That being said what the heck does one have to do with the other?  The trees are a one time cost and the other is a repeatable expense.  Further, one has to do with an individual customer the other some crazy idea that trees will someone inspire the next revolutionary device.  You realize how crazy you sound right?  Anyhow, your analogy is way off base.  But now that you mention it, it is insane paying 60K per tree, when they could probably pay $250 for young trees to be planted.  How about a mix at least?

Anyhow, enjoy your bud if you think people are getting inspired by "mature" trees rather than young growing ones.  If anything the young ones would be symbolic of growth and change, the old, mature trees symbolic of..well maturity and stagnation.

I rest my case. My analogy must have been pretty good when you think the exact same way as the guy who provided it. And your not seeing nature and mature trees as having great inspirational potential proves you just don't get it.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    tkell31 wrote: »
    Hey, even better idea, how about have the employees plant their own trees?  Save some $ and everyone could be inspired by their own growing tree.  But thanks for the laugh.

You can't help show your ignorance. Of course that's easy when you're sitting behind a keyboard.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    elroth wrote: »
    Hopefully it will inspire them to not be so geeky with the user interface, so it's actually intuitive, flexible and more usable (and with a better graplhic design sense).

Perhaps.