Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Sad if you like Apple. Good news if you like Google.

It is a post Apple era.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Sad if you like Apple. Good news if you like Google.

It is a post Apple era.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    The number of activations is no measure of ownership. Android is rife with "plastic phones" with an enormous amount of churn. It can be expected that a high percentage of the 900 million are in land fills, in contrast to iPhones, which see high retention, use, and hand-me-down. This is borne out by network statistics which show iOS dominating Web traffic.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The conference - I am watching it - is ridiculously good. Some is catch up with iOS, but most is taking over.

Fact is Apple has been doing very little in iOS comparatively to Android. Which is not sustainable. iOS 6 added very little, except the useless to most Passbook, a flawed Maps which was a backward step, and one or two minor improvements to the phone app, and it removed some stuff. To most people who downloaded it, there was nothing, Just a regression. In fact its hard to know what the OS team was doing, I can only assume that there is big stuff coming in iOS7.

And I also don't think that Apple employ enough people. 

• Reply 25 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">After a while it gets ridiculous and meaningless, no matter which OS.</span>

Headlines in the year 2030:  "Device type X has now passed 100 trillion activations since they first came out two decades ago."

So what.

Exactly. And is this cumulative activations? So devices that are no longer being used are still counted?
  • Reply 26 of 81

The latest figures showed the App Store with revenues about 2.5X that of Google Play. In previous years it was many times worse. Google claims 48 billion Apps to Apple's 50 billion. Yet the revenue figures over the last several years shows Apple with a lead of more than 5X that of Google. So where are all these Apps going? Are those 48 billion free Apps?

Notice how Google loves to show off generic figures like daily activations, total activations or total App downloads but leaves out details like "revenue paid to developers" (which Apple happily shares)?

• Reply 27 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The latest figures showed the App Store with revenues about 2.5X that of Google Play. In previous years it was many times worse. Google claims 48 billion Apps to Apple's 50 billion. Yet the revenue figures over the last several years shows Apple with a lead of more than 5X that of Google. So where are all these Apps going? Are those 48 billion free Apps?

Notice how Google loves to show off generic figures like daily activations, total activations or total App downloads but leaves out details like "revenue paid to developers" (which Apple happily shares)?

The latest figures will be out of date very soon, if google play can sell more in 4 months than all of last year. 

• Reply 28 of 81
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stef View Post

Imagine how much OS filth that means: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/14/mobile-malware-exploding-but-only-for-android image

Google is only talking about their own Play store. There are many many android app stores out there that require the phone user to override android's security feature that prevents installation of apps outside of the Google Play store. Those third party app stores are where all the malware live. Don't use third party app stores (mostly used in other countries anyway) and there is no malware problem.

I'd imagine that the amount of malware in those third party foreign app stores in insane tho.

• Reply 29 of 81
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    There's always going to be a big market for the lower-end of the retail pyramid. Congrats, Google, but you can KEEP this particular crown. Please.

If there was ever a quantity-over-quality achievement, this is the new standard.
  • Reply 30 of 81

Ask Google what percent of web traffic is coming from Android (ie. a clear indicator of how much their customers are actually using their phones), and all you'll hear is crickets. 

• Reply 31 of 81
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Activations used to mean something - when Android was fairly new, you could deduct that they meant "active users". But now it is nebulous... Is Google afraid of direct comparisons with Apple’s ecosystem? I don’t think they should be, but the fact that they don’t disclose their numbers openly to the world (and especially to developers) as Apple does every quarter has me wondering...

"The company also revealed at I/O that the company has paid out as much to developers so far in 2013 as it did in the entire year 2012."

Ok, so your are on a 100 % increase potential for 2013, but what amount did you give to devs in 2012 to begin with?

• Reply 32 of 81
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

These numbers don't add up.  By this count, Google activated 500,000 phones in the last year.  If that is the case, and Samsung is the only company really selling any phones, they should be selling nearly 100,000 phones per quarter and that is not happening.  

• Reply 33 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    genovelle wrote: »
    These numbers don't add up.  By this count, Google activated 500,000 phones in the last year.  If that is the case, and Samsung is the only company really selling any phones, they should be selling nearly 100,000 phones per quarter and that is not happening.  

Just like with all of Google's Android "activations" I think this new number falls inline with the others. Samsung isn't the only company selling Android-based devices in volume, they are just the only one really making any profit from it. That's because they are selling well marketed, well built, and popular higher-end Android-based devices. There appear to be plenty of cheap Android-based devices that don't get used much on the internet and that don't make any real profits for the companies making them. Android has effectively replaced Symbian as the new feature phone OS.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    I'm not impressed considering Android is a 'FREE' mobile OS on just about every freaking smart phone sans iPhone.
    Apple on the other hand is vastly more impressive since Apple is about to reach 50 billion downloads on their products without the need of third party celly phone participation.
  • Reply 35 of 81

I wonder if Google is including all the MALWARE in this 48 billion number?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/14/mobile-malware-exploding-but-only-for-android

Unfortunately, the above-linked article doesn't give figures on penetration, either. 

• Reply 36 of 81
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I could have sworn Schmidt had already announced that it reached 1 billion, but I guess not.

I think you're remembering the headlines from other places (e.g. BGR), who along with everyone else, recently reprinted someone's calculation that Android would hit a billion before the end of 2013.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I think you meant 100+ million Android phones per quarter.

While Samsung is the largest individual Android phone seller, they "only" contribute about 40-45% of the total Android sales.  E.g. in a quarter where Samsung sells 60 million Android smartphones;  others sell 80 million.

• Reply 37 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member

I just about sprayed soda out of my nose in laughter when I read the headline!

Landfills all around the world scream in horror.  What a shame all of our precious resources and rare minerals were wasted on garbage. :(

• Reply 38 of 81
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google on Wednesday announced...48 billion applications have been installed on Android devices.

How did they come up with this number when you can get GooApps all over the place? Not just from their store but from friends, some fly by night site, a friend, etc… Does that include the malware?  image

Edit: TeaEarleGreyHot beat with the malware comment. But it was the first thing I thought of also.

• Reply 39 of 81
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

They could get away with 35% gross margins. $150 cost + 35% = $200.  

You might want to check your math and/or your terminology.

Perhaps you meant $150 cost + 35% MARKUP is roughly $200.

Otherwise it is only about 25% gross margin. To get those margins, it would need to sell for circa $230.

• Reply 40 of 81
    How many of those apps were malware? Hmm...