Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Aha, [B]The Shrieker[/B] is back, after being gone 3 weeks, since the Earnings Call, not coincidentally, and now that Google has some press, he not coincidentally returns,

He joins a group of nervous Nellies here that disgracefully includes some regulars who ought not to be feeding the Apple-is-behind meme mongers.

Note to you short-sighted "innovation" lovers, Apple does not serve the narcissistic, infantile ADD culture that Google embodies, the tech tweakers that Samsung also serves.

The "hiatus" you handwringers perceive is caused by the difficulty of what Apple has been working on in displays for the last few years. Let's hope you appreciate it when you see it.

Edit: By Shrieker I meant [B]jdnc 123[/B], in case it wasn't obvious.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Aha, The Shrieker is back, after being gone 3 weeks, since the Earnings Call, not coincidentally, and now that Google has some press, he not coincidentally returns,

He joins a group of nervous Nellies here that disgracefully includes some regulars who ought not to be feeding the Apple-is-behind meme mongers.

Note to you short-sighted "innovation" lovers, Apple does not serve the narcissistic, infantile ADD culture that Google embodies, the tech tweakers that Samsung also serves.

The "hiatus" you handwringers perceive is caused by the difficulty of what Apple has been working on in displays for the last few years. Let's hope you appreciate it when you see it.

Yeah let's hope it's not just an iPhone 5s.

But the rumours are slight this year. So it may be. If it is Apple will trade to $300 or less.

And being an apple fan does not mean being a fan or it's management, all it's decisions or excusing all tardiness.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Aha, The Shrieker is back, after being gone 3 weeks, since the Earnings Call, not coincidentally, and now that Google has some press, he not coincidentally returns,

You mean the earnings call where Tim Cook did exactly what I said he should do by using balance sheet to buyback stock and increase dividend, while also announcing they would issue tens of billions of debt.......all despite weeks of you saying he shouldn't listen to people like me and do those things to appease the unhappy shareholders?  Here is my next prediction - Apple will announce a low cost phone and they will eventually FOLLOW Samsung and announce a large screen phone.  I will say it time and time again, Apple products are the best around.  Reality, however, is company's with all their eggs in a few baskets seldom last, even Apple.  The vast majority of the earnings are from a product that even Apple supporters say feels stale.  There are enough dots to connect at this point to figure out there was major internal problems at Apple the last couple years, which seemingly stalled innovation via silos and turf wars..... we will know in the next month whether Tim has been able to fix that problem.  If WWDC is a flop, its time for him to exit gracefully and let someone that demands respect to run this company.

Edit:  with the nearly 5% drop today in Apple and move higher in Google, Google just passed the value of Apple for the first time since 2007 or so, pre-IPhone basically.  

• Reply 24 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

He joins a group of nervous Nellies here that disgracefully includes some regulars .....

By that, I assume you mean me. I don't take offense.

I am 100% with Rogifan above when he says: "Cook isn't doing a good enough job articulating vision." THAT is my fundamental problem with him. All he does is throw out platitudes. Not an ounce of vision.

I'd really like to see/hear what he has to say at ATD in a couple of weeks. So far, every time he has shown up in public to speak for more than a few minutes, the fact is that Apple's stock has taken a dive (indeed, when it fell significantly today, I actually checked to see if Cook had been speaking at some investor conference that I hadn't been aware of!).

• Reply 25 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »

Edit: By Shrieker I meant jdnc 123, in case it wasn't obvious.
    For me it's all about messaging and managing the narrative. Right now perception has become reality when it comes to Apple. Hopefully they've got some stuff that will blow us away at WWDC and prove a nervous Nellie like me completely wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

C'mon Apple Radio. Kick all of their butts. 

• Reply 27 of 92
    rogifan wrote: »
    I've said this a million times, what, pray tell, did investors know or expect when they were driving the stock up to $700 that they don't know now? Apple is the same company now as it was 6 months ago. The competitive landscape hasn't changed that much since last summer.

IMO Apple's biggest problem right now is perception more than reality. Apple needs to do a better job of managing the narrative around the company, especially when they go 6+ months with no product announcements. Cook isn't doing a good enough job articulating vision. He says Apple isn't a hardware company but doesn't really give us a vision about what that means beyond them having great stuff in the pipeline. Apple needs a better company spokesperson. Maybe have Schiller or Ive fill that role. But right now they're not controlling the narrative. They're letting the media and Wall Street "analysts" define them. Makes no sense to me.

And in my opinion, Apple's "vision" is so goddamned obvious and out there in front of us all that repeating it just gets him, Cook, assailed for being humdrum or overly earnest.

Steve Jobs said, "Our motives are pure. We just want to make great products for people." Tim Cook enlarges that to include "to enrich people's lives."

Yes, these are flat-footed platitudes, but they are the plain truth, and from the point of view of American business history, they are revolutionary. No American consumer company has risen above planned obsolescence and styling quackery for generations.

Putting the customer first is the kind of thing that you say once, and then shut up and go about doing it.

Stop ragging on Tim Cook. What do you want him to say? "We intend to show the world that good taste and the highest possible quality will win in the end"? Or, " We intend to reform education for the world in the 21st century"?

Anything he says will get him in a mess of trouble, or mocked, and it's pandering to those who don't have patience and haven't been listening to what he DID say already.

Edit: Apologies for the tone. Ganging up on Apple when the Don't Be Evil Infants do their yearly In-and-Out thing gets my blood pressure up. Here's the problem: I think we know what Apple's long-range vision is, but it can't be enunciated by Tim Cook without tipping their hand or causing resistance among their competitors, or the hateful public, for that matter? Any specific suggestions?
  • Reply 28 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    By that, I assume you mean me. I don't take offense.

I am 100% with Rogifan above when he says: "<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Cook isn't doing a good enough job articulating vision." THAT is my fundamental problem with him. All he does is throw out platitudes. Not an ounce of vision.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">I'd really like to see/hear what he has to say at ATD in a couple of weeks. So far, every time he has shown up in public to speak for more than a few minutes, the fact is that Apple's stock has taken a dive (indeed, when it fell significantly today, I actually checked to see if Cook had been speaking at some investor conference that I hadn't been aware of!).</span>
    I knew it would be a bad week for Apple this week. Anytime one of their competitors is showing off new stuff the stock takes a nosedive. Tim Cook might be the right guy to operationally run Apple but he's not very good at all as spokesman. I think Apple should let Phil or Jony be the face of the company.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    chris.comchris.com Posts: 26member
    "Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called WAVE!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Reader!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called iGoogle!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Desktop!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Buzz!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We bought Aardvark!!!"
    ---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Voice!!!"
    ---Abandonware, virtually no development in the last year. Last blog entry (that wasn't about Santa Claus which has nothing to do with Google Voice) was May 30, 2012. No MMS support. Last mention of MMS development was October, 2011 by Ilya Frank who, according to his LinkedIn profile, isn't on the Google Voice team anymore. He's working on the Google Games platform.
    http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyafrank

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Latitude!!!"
    ---Abandonware, virtually no development in the last year. IOS app isn't even full screen on iPhone 5.

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Plus!!!"
    ---No one uses it

I'm glad they're innovating, but I don't really want to incorporate new Google technology into my workflow when it's quite likely they're going to let it die on the vine while chasing their next shiny new toy... (Glass?)
  • Reply 30 of 92
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is the kind of silliness that pervades: "I have my preferences/tastes and everybody else must be like me, so nobody else could/should care if I don't."

Do you have kids? Nieces/nephews? Neighbors who are younger? Any interactions at all with today's 15 - 30 year olds?

Find out how they're getting and listening to their music today....

No teenager (that I know of) would pay $120 a year for the service.

• Reply 31 of 92
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

And in my opinion, Apple's "vision" is so goddamned obvious and out there in front of us all that repeating it just gets him, Cook, assailed for being humdrum or overly earnest.

Steve Jobs said, "Our motives are pure. We just want to make great products for people." Tim Cook enlarges that to include "to enrich people's lives."

Yes, these are flat-footed platitudes, but they are the plain truth, and from the point of view of American business history, they are revolutionary. No American consumer company has risen above planned obsolescence and styling quackery for generations.

Putting the customer first is the kind of thing that you say once, and then shut up and go about doing it.

Stop ragging on Tim Cook. What do you want him to say? "We intend to show the world that good taste and the highest possible quality will win in the end"? Or, " We intend to reform education for the world in the 21st century"?

Anything he says will get him in a mess of trouble, or mocked, and it's pandering to those who don't have patience and haven't been listening to what he DID say already.

Well said.  I think there's also an element of "you guys worry to much about the day to day stock price; we're not about stock price; we're about being a great company making great products."  I for one, would rather Apple focus on making great product than telling great stories to excite investors.  And I'm one of those investors who has lost a lot of money on my AAPL investment in the past year.  Fortunately, I'm still way ahead overall.  The fact is, the Apple innovation and execution cycle is much longer than the market rewards.  When/if Apple roles out the next great thing that revolutionizes a market, the stock price will overreact again and then crash 2 years later when everyone else has figured out how to duplicate the last round of Apple magic.  Oh well.

• Reply 32 of 92
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

You know what's scary?  There are lots of people out there who read "uniquely Google approach" and don't cringe at the implications.  I love the fact that Microsoft is running those Scroogled ads now.  I hope they keep that up.

• Reply 33 of 92
    rogifan wrote: »
    I knew it would be a bad week for Apple this week. Anytime one of their competitors is showing off new stuff the stock takes a nosedive. Tim Cook might be the right guy to operationally run Apple but he's not very good at all as spokesman. I think Apple should let Phil or Jony be the face of the company.

If you don't mind, take a look at my addition to the post right above this. I really would like to see what you or anatksundaram could come up with that Tim Cook could conceiveably say that would not be a tipoff or get him in trouble.

As for Jony Ive, it's not in his character. He's an artist who thinks in terms that can hardly be given human speech. Not a public speaker in business language, bless him.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

You know what's scary?  There are lots of people out there who read "uniquely Google approach" and don't cringe at the implications.  I love the fact that Microsoft is running those Scroogled ads now.  I hope they keep that up.

Yet MS has it's own privacy issues that it would prefer not to discuss.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Skype-with-care-Microsoft-is-reading-everything-you-write-1862870.html

• Reply 35 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

No teenager (that I know of) would pay $120 a year for the service.

I'll grant that's a more intelligent argument than the one that was previously trotted out....

• Reply 36 of 92
    tdmelvintdmelvin Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.com View Post

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called WAVE!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Reader!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called iGoogle!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Desktop!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Buzz!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We bought Aardvark!!!"

---DEAD

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Voice!!!"

---Abandonware, virtually no development in the last year. Last blog entry (that wasn't about Santa Claus which has nothing to do with Google Voice) was May 30, 2012. No MMS support. Last mention of MMS development was October, 2011 by Ilya Frank who, according to his LinkedIn profile, isn't on the Google Voice team anymore. He's working on the Google Games platform.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyafrank

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Latitude!!!"

---Abandonware, virtually no development in the last year. IOS app isn't even full screen on iPhone 5.

"Hey everybody.... We got this great new thing called Google Plus!!!"

---No one uses it

I'm glad they're innovating, but I don't really want to incorporate new Google technology into my workflow when it's quite likely they're going to let it die on the vine while chasing their next shiny new toy... (Glass?)

You forgot Google Health as well.

• Reply 37 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Edit:  with the nearly 5% drop today in Apple and move higher in Google, Google just passed the value of Apple for the first time since 2007 or so, pre-IPhone basically.  

What are you talking about....just checked market valuation and Apple is still approximately $100 Billion larger...nice try though

• Reply 38 of 92

Quote:

If you don't mind, take a look at my addition to the post right above this. I really would like to see what you or anatksundaram could come up with that Tim Cook could conceiveably say that would not be a tipoff or get him in trouble.

As for Jony Ive, it's not in his character. He's an artist who thinks in terms that can hardly be given human speech. Not a public speaker in business language, bless him.

Right because Eric Schmidt and Larry Page, etc. talking about Google products before they are released and describing their future vision has really hurt their company and stock price.  Oh wait, they do it and the value has increased by $100 billion while Apple remains silent and has dropped by $250 billion.  Can you quantify how actually speaking and articulating a plan would hurt Apple?  Of course not, which is why your argument is weak.

• Reply 39 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

What are you talking about....just checked market valuation and Apple is still approximately $100 Billion larger...nice try though

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Value = enterprise value

You haven't been paying attention.

• Reply 40 of 92
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Edit: Apologies for the tone. Ganging up on Apple when the Don't Be Evil Infants do their yearly In-and-Out thing gets my blood pressure up. Here's the problem: I think we know what Apple's long-range vision is, but it can't be enunciated by Tim Cook without tipping their hand or causing resistance among their competitors, or the hateful public, for that matter? Any specific suggestions?

I understand your feelings, but think of Maps. Tim was unaware of how bad it was (for some of the visuals like bridges). Then he made a huge apology and basically said it was bad by telling everyone to go to the Apple Store and get some other map product.

My confidence has fallen with him. It appears the market has, too. As far as perception or whatever.

Maybe Tim is sweating now.

Guess who is making buzz like Steve Jobs? Google is. And they are making great products.