Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess a lot of people aren't paying attention then because no one seems to be obsessed with this metric besides you.

Only thing I'm obsessed with is the utter incompetence of the current leader of this company.

• Reply 62 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple has had 4 years to compete with this, from back when Android was a joke - they have the credit cards and surely the technology. Lala was bought in 2009. 2009!

What has happened since?. Either heads should roll at Apple, or Cook's head should roll.

What happened is Apple respects content owners rights and licenses them accordingly.

The delay is caused by content owners who fear iTunes dominance and are trying to break away.

I wonder how long companies like spotify can hang on, they are in for a squeeze.

• Reply 63 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Wow. Google is going to win in every way.

Apple. Slower to streaming music. Slower to low cost phone. Slower to big screen size. Slower to software innovations. Slower to license and market.

It is so much Windows vs Mac 1990s.

The integrated approach is great to open a market not to rule it. Next we will see Apple again being a 3% market share bit player.

That is Apple corporate culture. We're the tiny little underdog with moral superiority. We won't sell out. We do it our way and only in our good time. Suck it shareholders.

This music service is a prime example of how one's lunch gets eaten.

Samsung is taking 94.7% of Android handset profits, LG gets 2.5%, HTC, Huawei, Motorola, Sony, ZTE and the rest share the remaining 2.7%.

Android is almost all bit players, Samsung sets a prime example of eating others lunch.

• Reply 64 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

…rested on their laurels.  …saturated. …lost its luster.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple…

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

…stale. If WWDC is a flop, its time for him to exit gracefully and let someone that demands respect to run this company.

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post

You forgot Google Health as well.

There was a Google Health? image

• Reply 65 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Huh, that's interesting. . . The Galaxy S4 available with stock Android?? Available thru Google Play beginning June 26th

Which version?

LTE equipped Snapdragon or 3G Exynos?

$649, I wonder if it will have more than 8GB available to users?

• Reply 66 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I would think it would have much more user space than 8GB. Stock Android is reported to need less than a GB compared to Touch wiz bloat.

Edit: It's LTE
  • Reply 67 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I would think it would have much more user space than 8GB. Stock Android is reported to need less than a GB compared to Touch wiz bloat.

On the more popular phones there's almost always a developer edition.
  • Reply 68 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It will be interesting to see if Google breaks away from not supporting SD cards as they usually do with their Nexus models.

Good news for Qualcomm, more snapdragon processors.

• Reply 69 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    flaneur wrote: »
    The project Apple is engaged in is too revolutionary to be explicitly outlined. It would be suicidal to do so, and I think Tim Cook has pondered this with Jobs and others in the company long and hard.

The closest historical parallel to what has happened in personal computers since 1984 is, as I've said here before to great scepticism, the appearance of the Aldine portable book around 1500. In effect, Aldus put out the first personal book, and he focused on aesthetics, usability and great software in doing so.

Apple's project is no less than the total reform of all communication, all recording technology, and all knowledge distribution, including both entertainment and education. This is a 500-year event in human media history.

That's a very bold claim. Although, I am somewhat skeptical, since I've seen nothing in what Cook has done or said so far in his career that leads me to think it could something so dramatic. I truly hope you're right.

Any thoughts on what form do you think this total reform and revolution would take?
  • Reply 70 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Only thing I'm obsessed with is trolling.
    There fixed it for you.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    flaneur wrote: »
    I didn't see that Bloomberg piece, I'll have to look it up.

To your last paragraph, I see the same cloud of gnats around Apple, but I think of Tim Cook as more of a solid character hardly bothering to swipe them away. He reminds me of Richard Evans Schultes slogging through the Amazon jungle, gathering specimens, taking notes, getting the job done. The doubters will get their comeuppance when he gets back to headquarters and publishes.

Watch me get nailed on that comparison by someone who knew Schultes.
    I don't think Apple management are incompetent as some here suggest. But they do seem to be in some sort of a bubble where they're just tuning everything out, except for what they have no choice to tune out (returning cash to shareholders). I swear if Cook shows up at ATD and uses the same cliches like TV is an area of interest or we're pulling the string to see where it takes us I'll throw up.

What I'm really hoping for is some surprises at WWDC, something that makes the 6+ months of silence worth it.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if Google breaks away from not supporting SD cards as they usually do with their Nexus models.

It'll have an SD slot.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »

They support SD cards they're just built in on Nexus'.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Costs 150% more than Pandora One. Yay, Google!

I only listen to the free versions of Pandora and Spotify, and if they think pumping occasional ads into my skull pays for that, well, I'm happy to humor them.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

(This is a pretty shameful thread full of off-topic attacks on Apple in general, Tim Cook in particular, and personal sniping. The article is about Google's new music service. Anyone care to actually comment on THAT?)

I use Spotify and Pandora regularly.

Spotify is great when I know what I want to listen to: I feel like Rush today. Bam. There's a whole bunch of albums. Maybe some Robert Plant. Ta-da. But I don't find its radio stations very compelling. If I create a station based on an artist or song, the station becomes repetitive and predictable pretty quickly, and is not very consistent. For example, if I pick a band, I'll tend to get bands from the same time and general genre, but rarely music that sounds similar from unfamiliar bands.

Pandora is the opposite. I can't listen to an album or a bunch of songs by a particular artist. But when I create a station, I get a good variety of songs very similar to the seed songs and from lots of various bands from different eras. I find Pandora much better for discovering new groups similar to groups I already like.

Also, both services have free versions. I find the number of commercials completely acceptable. And the quality of the free versions is plenty good for listening to through earbuds while sitting at my desk, or in the car.

So what is the compelling reason for Google's service? Are there labels or bands that the other services don't have (and a lot of people would want)? Is the bit-rate/quality better than other services? 24bit/96khz maybe? I don't know why I'd want Google's product vs anything else.

(And whining about Apple's management doesn't help me learn anything about Google Play.)

- Jasen.

• Reply 76 of 92
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Okay. Good points are being made. And yea it's Samsung that is eating apples lunch.

I know that the closed ecosystem eventually loses to the big version of windows for phones.

But as a stockholder f aapl I feel the company is not fighting back. It feels like they're not doing anything right now. I'm sure they are. But what?

They're losing to Sammy in so many ways. Why can't apple fight back?

The google glass thing may be silly and impractical but it's like Walt disneys world of tomorrow. It captures the publics imagination. It dreams big.

Apples dreams lately feel like small tiny things. Like more MPixels for the iPhone's camera. A new home button. Having Siri reject long sentences. Making a low cost version MAYBE of what it already has but with less capability.

Where is the dream? A big new office complex for its employees? A boat that no one will ever use? Where is the dream for the public?

Where was or is Apple Glass? Where is Apple gesture reading phone? Where is a thing that reassures and inspires people that great new ideas can come from apple in a world post Steve?
  • Reply 77 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

And yea it's Samsung that is eating apples lunch.

N… no… you're confused.

I know that the closed ecosystem eventually loses to the big version of windows for phones.

How? Continued as both "do you know this" and "would that happen?"

But as a stockholder f aapl I feel the company is not fighting back. It feels like they're not doing anything right now. I'm sure they are. But what?

So basically you recognize your fears are unfounded.

They're losing to Sammy in so many ways.

Name. One.

Why can't apple fight back?

Because they are?

Where is the dream? A big new office complex for its employees? A boat that no one will ever use? Where is the dream for the public?

Maybe pay attention to the products they're releasing and you'll see.

Where was or is Apple Glass?

1. Why do they need something that stupid?

2. What proof is there that they were ever going to make something that stupid?

• Reply 78 of 92
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    It's really quite simple.

Consider that he is the CEO of the largest (or the second largest, depending on the day), and arguably, the most exciting company in the world. It is a company that, in the past decade-and-a-half, has consistently and radically defined the future of consumer tech. It is a job for which he has been carefully groomed over many years (by one of the greatest visionaries of our time), and one that he actually had experienced (before going solo). He has been an integral part of its second coming.

I expect that someone in that role is a thinker, and not just a doer.

He should do a major speech addressing the following types of issues (given all of the above, it is not at all a tall task -- I would ask these of a garden variety CEO, let alone a company about which I deeply care as both a consumer and a shareholder):

1) Lay out his vision for consumer technology. What is his framework for thinking about the industry and its future?

2) Looking ahead to 2025, what are the big forces, the mega-trends, shaping opportunities in the industry? What are the major threats?

3) Where does he think the industry is headed? What makes the future exciting? When he gets up every morning, what gets him juiced up about the possibilities that might the next 15 years?

4) In the broadest terms, where does he see Apple as a company in 2025? What is his vision for the business? What are its greatest strengths? How does he plan to enhance those strengths? Building? Buying? Enhancing existing positions or creating new products and services? How does he view competition?

5) How will supply chains, manufacturing, customer experiences evolve in the future? What leadership role does he see for Apple in these areas?

I have little interest in hearing about Apple's product roadmap or ROIC goals or whether or not they have great innovation the pipeline or whether they expect to have an EPS of $100 by 2018. Those are details. I want to know who he is, and what he thinks about the future. Most importantly, I want to have confidence in his framework for thinking about the future.

I'm a little shocked you that posted this Anon, since I tend to agree with many/most of your posts here. This time I seriously disagree.

You described Bill Gates, Ballmer, and just about ever tech CEO on the planet: just talk... and not someone with Apple's DNA or someone that follows in the footsteps of Steve Jobs (impossible task). In fact you said it's what you would expect from a "Garden Variety CEO". Yup. And that's what Tim Cook is not, SJ never was, and even BG succumbed to becoming more times than even he can count.

Apple is a completely different animal and species within the tech sector. Always has been... and for at least the next decade or 2, probably will be. To the chagrin and gnashing of teeth by Wall Street Anal-Cysts and certain unnamed Instant Gratification Quarterly-Results Whores frequenting these forums.

@Flaneur: really liked your posts... and especially pointing out the underlying lack of discipline known as PATIENCE. The vast majority of people on our planet have absolutely no idea what that virtue means any more, let alone practice it. The Art of War and applicable Buddhist teachings, which SJ successfully inspired in his company, are still alive within it, and I'm still glad for it. I personally don't see nor want them to change their philosophies to "run with the herd" ... certainly not yet if ever. Times past whenever they've tried, we all know what (almost) happened.

Practicing a small bit of patience in this context is roughly only 4 weeks away: June 10 - 14. At which time and after, we can discuss and debate The Might Fall of Apple... or the Enlightenment of Communications and Technology for the Next Decade. 8-)
  • Reply 79 of 92
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Just my recurring thoughts re: Apple CEO:

I still think that the person most able to give that charismatic, zealous and visionary spark back to Apple, is Scott Forstall. His career road-map is and could further be deeply tied to parallel Steve Jobs. Could we possibly witness history repeating itself within one company some day? ;)
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Just my recurring thoughts re: Apple CEO:

I still think that the person most able to give that charismatic, zealous and visionary spark back to Apple, is Scott Forstall. His career road-map is and could further be deeply tied to parallel Steve Jobs. Could we possibly witness history repeating itself within one company some day? ;)
    Why do you think this? What exactly is his visionary spark? Why do people think he's the next Steve Jobs just because he was fired from Apple? Using your logic the current leadership/board at Apple is just as bad as during the 80s when Steve was fired. Do you really believe that?