WWDC 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    In any event the Intel reveal is literally days away.

Is that the Romley platform, E5-2600? Intel link; warning; it uses Flash!
    I don't think ML changed maximum RAM the system can use.

True, if you install 128GB OSX still maxes out @ 96GB, but if you boot into Windows it sees all 128GB.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    hmm wrote: »
    The PowerPC era towers never supported ECC.

The Late 2005 model started to support ECC.
    There are currently no 16GB sodimms.

Well, there is of course SDRAM DIMM 16GB sticks from OWC
  • Reply 43 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This doesn't contradict my words. I said sodimms. The imac, which I referred to with the 32GB limit, uses sodimms.

• Reply 44 of 131
    philboogie wrote: »
    This doesn't contradict my words. I said sodimms. The imac, which I referred to with the 32GB limit, uses sodimms.

Ah, iMac. Gotcha. Since I've never had one it's not on my radar. My bad. Carry on.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Anybody out there feeling the frustration from the LACK OF LEAKS?

Nope. In fact, I'm really happy that the idiots got a slap in the face now that Tim Cook really has doubled down.

Granted, I do expect we'll see something in the last few days before. They can't stop everything; particularly when the prototypes and test models actually have to move around out of storage or Apple's care.

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

That slide to unlock is horrible, but I could really, really do with removing the last vestiges of glossiness from the UI, given that all devices have had their own physical glossiness for years. I imagine that even though it'll go matte that the lock screen would still have translucent elements. It'd be like looking through smoked glass to your wallpaper, which would be pretty.

• Reply 46 of 131
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Time did say a MacPro was coming later in 2013.  If it is a big revamp, what a better place to intro it than in front of all the developers (who actually would know what it was he was presenting) as opposed to media types who have no clue and just want to see popular things?

I think he'll intro it, with the new chips, and say it will be available in August/September and that the chips will also be making their way into other machines.

If it is going to be built in Texas, it will definitely not be shipping in June.  Unless they've done a damn good job setting up a factory and hiring a significant workforce in secret.

• Reply 47 of 131
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. In fact, I'm really happy that the idiots got a slap in the face now that Tim Cook really has doubled down.

Granted, I do expect we'll see something in the last few days before. They can't stop everything; particularly when the prototypes and test models actually have to move around out of storage or Apple's care.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/31/possible-front-panel-for-ipad-5-shows-up-bearing-mini-inspired-aesthetic

I still would like to see an elevator pic or two.  They were so convincing...

• Reply 48 of 131
  • Reply 49 of 131
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

I mean really two weeks to go - we should be getting something juicy.

No actually. I would be annoyed if there was little information about Haswell though all the information that is available is pretty much out there. The only question in my mind is whether the Intel HD 5200 will be available to the rMBP 13" and Mac mini either standard or BTO. I am hoping the answer is yes.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

They've had at least two major leaks in the last month:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/08/heavy-rains-in-manhattan-breach-apples-flagship-fifth-ave-store
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/24/rains-once-more-cause-damage-at-apples-fifth-avenue-ny-store

Seriously though, it seems that Haswell is sort of out already although availability is from June 4th:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/processors/382204/intel-haswell
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/01/intel-haswell-launch/

The GPU performance test at the first site is interesting because the i7-4770k only has a GT2 GPU in it but still way faster than Ivy Bridge. Anandtech has a review of Iris Pro in the mobile quad-core CPUs here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/6

It's not quite 650M performance in a lot of the game tests but it scored much higher in OpenCL tests and more than double Ivy Bridge. Some games use proprietary anti-aliasing like FXAA and if other anti-aliasing is used, it will be slower.

This is of course comparing to last year's 640M/650M. This year's NVidia/AMD GPUs will be 30%+ faster again. It's still good that it can handle a lot of those games on high quality though. Metro Last Light is quite an intensive game - 650M gets 41fps, Iris Pro gets 39fps. That's impressive for a 55W chip.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I mean really two weeks to go - we should be getting something juicy.

I'm satisfied with the new lack of leaks. It means Samsung has less to copy from.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

You have higher performance and higher bandwidth options available there. I'm not sure I personally need them anymore, but those are the things offered by such a solution. I'm not convinced Apple is really going to expand upon that $1000-2000 range beyond what they have, and an "xmac" type solution with a $2500 starting point is kind of ridiculous.
    It is ridiculous because I said I wanted a starting price for the base model below $1500.
    Wizard wants to see one in addition to the current lineup. I don't personally think they would morph the mac pro into one. I'm not debating whether it would sell.
    Well it better morph at least a little bit.
    I just can't see them really building out what has become their slower growth area. The presence of rmbp + cmbp seems more transitional to me. They may just be seeing how many people buy the old ones due to the specific limitations of the newer ones.
    Actually what Apple does in the coming weeks will be very interesting. I suspect that the retina machines aren't sell as well as Apple hoped for.
    The issue of maintaining price points is more likely. They have certain goals in terms of margins and sales volume, and whatever nonsense people on here say at times, demand is not entirely elastic. It's not just whether people buy macs or PCs. It's also how often they choose to buy new ones.

There is no growth in frequent buyers. Any company relying on frequent buyers is open to a sudden loss of buyers either from new products or users simply extending buying schedules. Apple needs machines that expand growth in sales.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    winter wrote: »
    No actually. I would be annoyed if there was little information about Haswell though all the information that is available is pretty much out there. The only question in my mind is whether the Intel HD 5200 will be available to the rMBP 13" and Mac mini either standard or BTO. I am hoping the answer is yes.

Many of the Haswell processors will not be released until later in the year. Frankly I'm not certain that Intel will have the broad line up of chips to give us the updates we are hoping for. This will be a more interesting discussion next week after Intels Haswell launch.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    Many of the Haswell processors will not be released until later in the year. Frankly I'm not certain that Intel will have the broad line up of chips to give us the updates we are hoping for. This will be a more interesting discussion next week after Intels Haswell launch.

Should be right in time for the 13" MBP, rMBP, and Mac mini.
  • Reply 55 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is ridiculous because I said I wanted a starting price for the base model below $1500.

I know. I said I was skeptical there in that I'm not sure Apple will expand on the $1000-2000 range. I didn't say they would make a $2500 xmac. That would be ridiculous. I've also stated a couple times that buyers who are looking for the elusive xmac are more likely used mac pro buyers than new ones, meaning they do not currently contribute to sales.

Quote:

Well it better morph at least a little bit.

I didn't say a design change was implausible. Considering how long it has languished, they would probably want to look like they spent some time on whatever is released. Last year was more of a rehashing than a genuine release. Almost every one of those options already existed prior to that point. The matrix of price points and specs was reshuffled slightly and they dropped the 8 core in favor of a low end 12 core. The 8 core was in a bad spot, as the 6 core could outperform it in too many scenarios. With that below it in price, they had to do something with the entry dual model.

The current case was kind of designed for a different era. GPUs didn't reach the wattage of some they use today. The G5 only had to accommodate 2 3.5" drives. If they were refactoring around 2.5" drives and GPGPU requirements that could produce a more forward thinking machine. I'm not sure how small they can go with the use of 130W cpus and 200W gpus. I suspect the optical drives will go. Some people might use them, and I'm not getting into that argument. I would say that the changes to the other machines suggest they are no longer a priority for Apple.

Quote:

Actually what Apple does in the coming weeks will be very interesting. I suspect that the retina machines aren't sell as well as Apple hoped for.

I actually didn't totally expect a redesign last year. I figured with intel's talked up power management features haswell and on, the redesign would come then. It seemed like they really pushed to get it out last year, and I suspect part of that was the inclusion of Ivy bridge hardware and kepler didn't provide enough to push upgrades or new sales.

Quote:

There is no growth in frequent buyers. Any company relying on frequent buyers is open to a sudden loss of buyers either from new products or users simply extending buying schedules. Apple needs machines that expand growth in sales.

I have highlighted on that in the past. If everything else is growing and one line is flat, that puts it in a bad spot. The workstation market is smaller overall, but much of it is a matter of what portion of that market goes to Apple. It will probably never be their most important product line, but I do not think they would produce something without a strategy in mind.

• Reply 56 of 131

Here's a KGI Securities Research Firm leaked Apple Product Road map released on January 15, 2013

Only the Modified iPod Touch has been released so far...

iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

No evidence supports a retina iPad Mini however there could be a bump in specs for the Processor insider the iPad Mini and the iPad 5 will likely have a 16:9 Ratio Display.

MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year. 

Evidence suggests Wifi AC and New Facetime Eyesight camera on rMBP, supposedly Haswell Mobile Processors will be inside them.

Macbook Pro Non-retina display version will be phased out soon. But supposedly this years version will not have a DVD drive making it slimmer and better Microphones for Facetime and Voice Search Features.

MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter. 

Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook had personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013. 

New Wifi AC Gigabit Chip has been leaked for iMacs/Macbooks.

iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199. 

This has already happened. Except it was 16GB and it's priced at 229.

Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

Tim Cook at AllThingsD11 said he was still very interested in this product lineup so there's likely a future to the device and or services. Phil reported back when the rumor mill was reporting this that they needed content providers and cable communication companies for this to happen.

New XBOX ONE supports TV Features.

Aside Kuo's Forecast

There has been reports saying that there are people working at Apple designing a Wearable Device for the wrist and Tim Cook thinks that area is interesting, ripe for exploration, a new playground for companies.

iOS and Mac OS X

iOS will be getting a new look, Mac OS X will be getting Power User Features like putting two apps next to each other.

• Reply 57 of 131

Here's a KGI Securities Research Firm leaked Apple Product Road map released on January 15, 2013

1. No, this is not a "leaked" anything. They did this.

2. They made it all up. It is theirs.

3. No Mac Pro on it proves to you that there is ZERO information in the image that is in any way truthful in any capacity.

No need for a treatise on it.

• Reply 58 of 131
    KGI seems to be somewhat more accurate than say Digitimes. Either way, as long as we have news about Intel, nVidia, and AMD we pretty much know the blocks Apple will put into place so we are never completely in the dark.
  • Reply 59 of 131

Quote:

Only the Modified iPod Touch has been released so far...

iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

No evidence supports a retina iPad Mini however there could be a bump in specs for the Processor insider the iPad Mini and the iPad 5 will likely have a 16:9 Ratio Display.

MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year. 

Evidence suggests Wifi AC and New Facetime Eyesight camera on rMBP, supposedly Haswell Mobile Processors will be inside them.

Macbook Pro Non-retina display version will be phased out soon. But supposedly this years version will not have a DVD drive making it slimmer and better Microphones for Facetime and Voice Search Features.

MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter. 

Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook had personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013. 

New Wifi AC Gigabit Chip has been leaked for iMacs/Macbooks.

iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199. 

This has already happened. Except it was 16GB and it's priced at 229.

Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

Tim Cook at AllThingsD11 said he was still very interested in this product lineup so there's likely a future to the device and or services. Phil reported back when the rumor mill was reporting this that they needed content providers and cable communication companies for this to happen.

New XBOX ONE supports TV Features.

Aside Kuo's Forecast

There has been reports saying that there are people working at Apple designing a Wearable Device for the wrist and Tim Cook thinks that area is interesting, ripe for exploration, a new playground for companies.

iOS and Mac OS X

iOS will be getting a new look, Mac OS X will be getting Power User Features like putting two apps next to each other.

Thanks for this post, Dark Defender.

This has been the most barren 1st half for Apple that I can remember.  2nd half 2013 has to have a tide of launches coming?  

Hopefully before then?  Maybe some Macbooks and a 'Pro' at WWDC.  ...along with refreshes to X and iOS.

That would be a good WWDC.  Better than many, historically speaking.

Even as a top of the line iMac owner, I'm still very(!) interested in a refactored Mac Pro.  Slimmer.  Cheaper.  More Powerful.  More 'prosumer' than out of touch workstation.  Though some may say that's what the top end iMac is... ;)

I'm looking forward to the WWDC.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 60 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

That would be a good WWDC.  Better than many, historically speaking.

Have the "everything will be refreshed at WWDC" rumors ever held up?