WWDC 2013

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Various places (including AI) live blog the event.  I was suggesting watching one or more of those.

Ah. Thanks. Such would be the norm. What was I reading indicated something more.

• Reply 102 of 131
    Various places (including AI) live blog the event.  I was suggesting watching one or more of those.
    The Verge does really good coverage, I went to them for D11, CNet has live video coverage but with snarky commentary, and I'm just hoping the WWDC is live streamed at Apple's website or the app. But yeah, there are lots of sources, like BGR, Techcrunch, Gigaom, and even Marketwatch. Appleinsider should get live coverage of it, but it doesn't, maybe cultofmac, 9to5mac, or macrumors do, but I don't visit their communities.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

I usually set it to Engadget and let it do its magic.  With a 27" screen, I have something else off to the side that I am working on.  

• Reply 104 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »

I'm confused...I saw the App update, but where have they indicated intention of streaming the keynote live? That seems to be what's implied here.

I usually watch the blow by blows connected to a couple of different web sites at the same time. Yes that is pathetic.

As to live streaming I don't believe they will do that this WWDC. However they have said that they intend to get many of the videos up very quick even the same day. Alive stream would be nice though. To save on bandwidth I will probably be at the library downloading the important videos.
  • Reply 105 of 131

I don't have a 27" iMac... but I ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!

• Reply 106 of 131

36 hours to go.  Minus a little.

Had a dream:

OS X.9 intro

You're gonna want a new MacPro to run it on

or a new MacBook

oh and everything else updated to be optimal, too

And as you're so happy, you might be moved to sing

Logic Pro X

Then I woke up.

• Reply 107 of 131
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Who really gives a dam about  Haswell !

• Reply 108 of 131
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

So, shall we say Technological Preview of the All-New Extra-Shiny Mac Pro at WWDC MMXIII, shipping of same sometime in September…?

Dual Xeon E7 Haswell octo-core CPUs

256GB DDR4 ECC RAM

SuperBluRayDrive

Onboard hardware RAID controller

(4) 5TB HDDs

Bootable Fusion-io ioFX 1.6TB SSD PCIe card

nVidia Quadro K6000 GPU PCIe card

nVidia Tesla K20 GPU co-processor PCIe card

Intel Xeon Phi CPU co-processor PCIe card

USB 3

ThunderBolt 2

BlueTooth

Gigabit WiFi

1000BaseT Ethernet

31" 4K/UltraHD ThunderBolt 2 Cinema Display

Should be, what…? No more than around 35 grand…!?! ;^p

That would be AWESOME. Do not forget:

Thunderbolt display with USB 3 hub.

Extended numerical keyboard with USB 3 hub.

• Reply 109 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

That would be AWESOME. Do not forget:

Thunderbolt display with USB 3 hub.

Extended numerical keyboard with USB 3 hub.

I think his was sarcasm of some sort, given that some of those parts are basically impossible in such a solution. E7s are used in quad socket servers and basically 0 workstations. They also come out later. The thunderbolt display should come with usb3. I suspect it will mimic the current imac chassis and screen treatment. If the glare reduction is as great as others have stated, that would be a much needed improvement. I guess it could always be put off until the next thunderbolt chipset, but all that allows for is 4k by combining channels. It doesn't go to PCIe 3 bandwidth until later.

• Reply 110 of 131

A day to go.

And still no elevator pictures.

• Reply 111 of 131
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/144783/confirmed-mac-pro-is-history-succeeded-by-jobs-final-project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I've just returned from a west coast visit to an old college buddy, who is a worker bee at a colossal fx studio that buys hundreds of Mac Pro's each year. Occasionally this studio is graced with an Apple test mule, which normally is nothing exciting, just the same old tower with a new logic board and Xeons. Added to that, my buddy doesn't work in "the cage" where only a select few use the test mules. But he does occasionally collaborate with those lucky few who do!

So last month he's in the cage, and there's a big freakin' cube in there. At first glance, he didn't think it was a Mac, but upon further study it sure seemed like an Ives design. Another guy noticed him studying it and said, "that's Steve's baby, right there! It's not a Mac, either. It's an Apple Pro!"

Yes, Jobs wanted one last go at the Cube before he finally logged out. We all know how much Jobs hates tower computers, and the Mac Pro was no exception. My buddy says he really nailed it with this one, it's flat-out the most perfect desktop design he's ever used.

As far design, the Apple Pro is a direct descendant of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_cube"> NeXTcube.</a> 12", cubed. Aluminum, anodized black (or maybe gunmetal grey, hard to say with the lighting). Vents ring the top of the cube's sides, so it's stackable. The cube was stacked on another half cube, only six inches high. How to easily stack it? Handles slide out from the bottom. Slick.

Components are accessed by removing either the left or right side panels. Left side for RAM, CPU, and HDs. Right side for PCIe sockets. One 3.5 GHz Ivy Bridge processor. Only two tiny HD bays, this sucker runs SSDs off the PCIe bus, and in this test mule, there was built-in hardware RAID support, no extra PCIe card needed. Three PCIe slots, two of which were used by video cards, with one remaining. No extra-long PCIe card support, unfortunately. It wouldn't be a true Apple product if it wasn't gimped in some way. Optical drives? What, and ruin the perfection of the cube's faces? Looks like it's external optical drives for any professional who, God forbid, want to burn a project onto Blu-ray.

The half cube was styled exactly like the cube. It's a six drive Thunderbolt RAID enclosure. A proprietary connector links the RAID half cube to the cube, so it powers on and off with the cube. There's also means to manually power it on and off so it can be used with any computer. Slick.

Now for the coolest part: the guys says to my buddy, what we're really testing is the new Apple Galaxy system. Huh? He points across the room. On a desk are two four foot stacks of cubes. The anodized aluminum and cube designs conspire to make the towering stacks into works of art. The guy says, one stack of four cubes will costs us about the same as a high-end Mac Pro, and we can add cubes and half cubes one at a time as we need more power. Galaxy is incredible, he says. They've been working on beta versions of Galaxy for years, but now with the cubes it finally makes sense. My buddy says, "The Apple Pro with Galaxy will enable Apple to finally conquer the creative studio market" They're more powerful than Mac Pros, more expandable, cheaper, and damn sexy.

The chatter is that Steve had a hell of a time getting this project authorized. Mac Pro sales are "in the thousands" and Steve was the only one at Apple who wanted to have another go at the desktop market. It's widely believed that this cube was only given the final go upon Steve's death, as it was his last wish.

• Reply 112 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    A day to go.

Uh oh, elevator's empty:

Innovation must have got out a couple of floors earlier on the way down.

Tim said no new hardware until the fall. Updated hardware is kind of new but not really elevator-worthy. Most likely hardware update is a drop-in upgrade for the laptops to Haswell. If Apple goes with a ULV version of Haswell like the following for the Air, it will be disappointing in terms of performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested/5

but the battery life will be improved. I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.

Ten hours on and a month of standby across the entire laptop line… can you imagine?!

• Reply 114 of 131
    A day to go.

The lack of leaks may be the most impressive thing about WWDC this year.
  • Reply 115 of 131

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The lack of leaks may be the most impressive thing about WWDC this year.

"M-m-m-maybe there's nothing TO leak!" ????

/s, of course.

• Reply 116 of 131
    Marvin wrote: »

Tim said no new hardware until the fall. Updated hardware is kind of new but not really elevator-worthy. Most likely hardware update is a drop-in upgrade for the laptops to Haswell. If Apple goes with a ULV version of Haswell like the following for the Air, it will be disappointing in terms of performance:
    Yeah but who believed that? After all fall is a long ways off even if it feels like it temperature wise.

As to performance I've seen some testing that actually shows a performance regression on some benchmarks. That was on Linux however and could be the result of driver issues. So yeah if expectations are high people might end up disappointed.
    ????

but the battery life will be improved. I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.

Graphics performance and battery life are of course the flip side. Since the GPU is more important than some want to admit, these two improvements will make many users very happy. Once people realize just how much of an advancement is seen here I suspect the new AIRs will sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    "M-m-m-maybe there's nothing TO leak!" <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

/s, of course.

That would be very sad indeed.
  • Reply 118 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That would be very sad indeed.

16 hours 50 minutes.... why must time go so slow.

Watching bates motel and movies to pass the time. got greasy popcorn fingers right now.

watching "Warm Bodies."

Edit: iOS 7 settings "leaked screenshot

• Reply 119 of 131

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

16 hours 50 minutes.... why must time go so slow.

Watching bates motel and movies to pass the time. got greasy popcorn fingers right now.

watching "Warm Bodies."

You're gonna stay up? Unless you're Cook/Schiller/Federighi and all psyched up, I can't see why. 

• Reply 120 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're gonna stay up? Unless you're Cook/Schiller/Federighi and all psyched up, I can't see why. 

I thought you would be one of his few supporters.