Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

If they release an iOS update without round corners it would make the world cry.

It would seriously be a bad move.

But then again most people won't update to iOS 7 if this happens like they did with iOS 6 until Google Maps and Youtube was back. I don't want my iPhone to start looking like a Blackberry... it's the main reason I own an iPhone.

They had more than 80% of the iOS user base on iOS 6.X in a few days. iMaps is a great improvement, a really huge improvement, to the app before it.

• Reply 22 of 75

Quote:

If they release an iOS update without round corners it would make the world cry.

But then again most people won't update to iOS 7 if this happens like they did with iOS 6 until Google Maps and Youtube were back. I don't want my iPhone to start looking like a Blackberry... it's the main reason I own an iPhone.

"Most people"? Really? I seriously doubt "most people" give a shit what the corners of the app icons look like.

• Reply 23 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mscientist wrote: »
    Truly sad if this is all they have to offer.

It makes perfects sense that 6 days before the event even begins a single page on their developer portal has sugared icons¡ Apple could easy take about this for 2 hours next Monday as this is surely "all they have to offer."¡
    Lets not trade true multi-tasking for square icons.

Ah, that cardinal programming rule that reducing the multi-tasking ability of the OS as corners of the icons become less rounded¡ It almost seems like that they have nothing to do with each other, but a guy in a lab coat told me that so it must be true¡ He was only wearing a lab coat and his panel van had "Ophiscal Biznuss" written on it so he was clearly important.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Holy shit.. I hope not. Those look HIDEOUS. There's no reason to imitate Windows 8. Square edges are so out of place with all Apple products. The "rounded corners" is a theme in both hardware and software. 

• Reply 25 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    But then again most people won't update to iOS 7 if this happens like they did with iOS 6 until Google Maps and Youtube were back.

• Reply 26 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

A disappointment after WWDC will drag AAPL down .

Posting the biggest quarter of US corporate history dragged APPL down, and so did both the iPhone and iPad keynotes, so who gives a ****?

• Reply 27 of 75
    Looks as though Tim is doing a good job of maintaining secrecy on this one. All there is is idle speculation and a fuzzy picture or two of some alpha version of iOS 7.
  • Reply 28 of 75

Quote:

But then again most people won't update to iOS 7 if this happens like they did with iOS 6 until Google Maps and Youtube were back. I don't want my iPhone to start looking like a Blackberry... it's the main reason I own an iPhone.

Yes, I'm sure Apple's strategy now is to "make it look like a Blackberry" cause, you know, that company is doing so well and all. I heard they're also bringing back the physical keyboard. 

Oh, and most people were on iOS6 within a couple weeks. Don't let the noisy minority that frequent tech blogs twist your perception of what happens in the real world. 

• Reply 29 of 75
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I have an interesting thought.

What if Apple allowed the user to apply a glossy layer or a rounded edge layer or even a "jungle theme" layer at their discretion? Themes would open a massive new source of revenue for developers (and Apple) and remove a supposed barrier to purchase for some otherwise presumed potential customers. Allowing the user to apply layers shouldn't be too challenging and would give a strong perception of Apple providing "customization" in their products.

More models of iPhone?
    More colors of iPhone?
    More customization?

If so, (and I doubt all that is true) then according to the "conventional wisdom" should be a kick in the pants to Android.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by mscientist View Post

Truly sad if this is all they have to offer. Lets not trade true multi-tasking for square icons.

Truly sad attempt at a "concern troll."  Let's not trade intelligent criticism for random buzzwords.

But, yeah, square icons would be truly sad.  So Microsoft-ish.

• Reply 31 of 75
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Sharp squared corners look unrefined -- Apple should do better than that!

Disclaimer:  I did like the sharp square corners of the NeXT logo, however!  ;)  

• Reply 32 of 75
    titusmtitusm Posts: 21member
    The problem with iOS icons is that some of them look cool, Most of them just awful. Adding this layer with 3D-gloss and rounded corners makes all icons look more alike. But in my eyes outdated and childish - not professional.
    Something tells me that Jony Ive will not make a lot of compromises and follows a path of pureness without any unnecessary additions like ornament, round corners or gloss. This will make the allready well designed icons look even better.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    It seems they will stick with rounded corners. The graphics are being put up at Moscone West and all of the app, "icons" have rounded corners. An interesting side note about the WWDC Mascone West graphics is that there is text that goes along with them, "Where a whole new world is developing." Maybe a hint of what's to come?
  • Reply 34 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Btw the banners for WWDC show squares with rounded corners. Me thinks people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing.

[img]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26103/[/img]
  • Reply 35 of 75
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

It seems they will stick with rounded corners. The graphics are being put up at Moscone West and all of the app, "icons" have rounded corners. An interesting side note about the WWDC Mascone West graphics is that there is text that goes along with them, "Where a whole new world is developing." Maybe a hint of what's to come?

Exactly, even the WWDC invitation is basically a rounded corner app icon. ;-)

Either way, yes, it's true. Currently iTC does show all app icons square. However, they didn't make the icons square now, they simply deactivated all post processing that is applied to app icons. I'm sure a new filter will be put in place soon, i.e. during/after the Keynote.

• Reply 36 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    abobrek wrote: »
    I'm assuming "a whole new world" means a whole new OS?
  • Reply 37 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, I'm sure Apple's strategy now is to "make it look like a Blackberry" cause, you know, that company is doing so well and all. I heard they're also bringing back the physical keyboard. 

Oh, and most people were on iOS6 within a couple weeks. Don't let the noisy minority that frequent tech blogs twist your perception of what happens in the real world. 

I was referring to the BB Storm and Z10... which don't have keyboards. And don't be silly. Nobody buys those ancient things anymore.

I also have reason to believe that they were upset even if they had updated to iOS 6... there were even memes.

Techcrunch : iOS 6 leads to decrease in device satisfaction among iPhone users

I'm not making fun of Apple... I'm just saying this because those were the news at the time. It's the main reason why Apple Stock went down... But I'm not one to know how the majority of the world feels about the iPhone. So I asked the Internet... But then again all people do on the internet is complain, compare, and review things.

• Reply 38 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Btw the banners for WWDC show squares with rounded corners. Me thinks people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing.

Hey, we need a banner thread here…

I'm not making fun of Apple... I'm just saying this because those were the news at the time. It's the main reason why Apple Stock went down... But I'm not one to know how the majority of the world feels about the iPhone. So I asked the Internet... But then again all people do on the internet is complain, compare, and review things.

Do you honestly think your poll has anything to do whatsoever with actual sentiment?

• Reply 39 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, we need a banner thread here…

Do you honestly think your poll has anything to do whatsoever with actual sentiment?

I've already seen the banners... I'm glad they're not doing square icons. Sigh. Stop hating on me... lol.

• Reply 40 of 75
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm assuming "a whole new world" means a whole new OS?

Or maybe..a whole new world of developing apps for Apple TV? WWDC to me, just got a WHOLE bunch more exciting!