Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    jtosa15jtosa15 Posts: 3member
    All the banners for WWDC feature huge, bright app icon shapes with the rounded corners still in place. It would seem like a strange choice (or big oversight) if they were getting rid of them.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

As of now, iTC is showing rounded icons again, however without the glass effect.

I think this is simply a transition as most people expect and probably there'll be some new effect applied after WWDC.

• Reply 63 of 75
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Pretty sure the WWDC banners show the continued shape of iOS icons as others have said. Are these the new app icon colors?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26131/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 64 of 75
    lantinianlantinian Posts: 18member
    Looks like a "sharp corner filter removed instead of the glossy one" bug
  • Reply 65 of 75
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

So many people are calling this a bug.  The article says that app icons have always been submitted as squares.  Seems to me that Apple is just displaying the icon that was uploaded instead of a modified version.  Maybe they will only show the original icon until they can officially preview the new style, or perhaps this is just another change.  If Apple is tweaking the filters applied to icons, maybe they decided this was a good time to stop applying those automatically and just show the original icon.  I mean, you'll still see the icon as it will appear in iOS7 in the emulator so showing it the developer center is redundant.

Seems to me too much is being made of this.  I'll be shocked if we end up having square icons.

• Reply 66 of 75
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Square iOS icons is as likely as Tim Cook dancing on stage to the song, "Hip To Be Square."

Both of those are more Microsoft style.

Many 3rd party app icons use their own rounded border, like metallic silver or gold. They would look very silly rendered as squares.

• Reply 67 of 75
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    Wow, what amazing evolution on iOS interface!
  • Reply 68 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Are these the new app icon colors?

Know what? I think you hit it dead on. And who knows if that's a good thing, because it could mean the end of detail.

Take a look at each square. Start with the one to the right of the logo. Orange, eh? Just like Music. Then, to the right, Safari. 

• Reply 69 of 75
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

As of now, iTC is showing rounded icons again, however without the glass effect.

I think this is simply a transition as most people expect and probably there'll be some new effect applied after WWDC.

Yep.  I see the same thing for my apps.  Rounded but without the gloss.

FYI (for non developers), when you submit an app to the AppStore you can either opt to have Apple add the gloss or not to your icon.  If you look on your device, you'll see that the vast majority of developers/companies opt out of the Apple-supplied gloss and either do their own version or do without.  If Apple turns off this gloss option it will have minimal impact on user experience.  Presumably if Apple changes the style of their default apps some developers will follow suit and others will leave their icons as is.

But there is no way Apple is going to be seen as copying Windows 8 by dropping the rounded corners.

• Reply 70 of 75
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If this is actually what's coming I'm not so sure I'm going to like it - seems like a step backwards (GUI circa 1995!) even though I'm all for getting rid of the skeuomorphism, the rest - I don't know? Seems less elegant than Metro.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    fxgpvfxgpv Posts: 8member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So what? What if they decide to just copy copy copy?

Google never did anything else... Microsoft is based on copying, just like samsung.

Why is Apple forced to innovate? Why can't they just copy the others? They have the money and influence... They can undercut their prices and put all OEMs out of business. Why not?

Easy. There is no cheap iPhone. If you pay extra cash, you usually want something better than a Samsung or anyother. 

Second, if you do not innovate, competition will eat your lunch. BBB?

Undercutting prices is no solution for anybody, because 99% of the times results in downgrading the quality of hardware and software, which results in cheaper sales and less dollars on Apple pocket. Please remember that 50% of 600 USD is much more than 90% of 300 USD, if they were able to have this margin.

In the end, if you have less money, you will not be able to invest in differentiation of your products. That will result in less connection to the market, lower sales, less profits, less investment... and goes on.

What bugs me is Apple is starting this deliberately with a strip down version of IOS in next version.

Also remember that many times does not matter own good it is the product, if is not clear and simple, people do not buy them. Palm??

For more than 80% of IPhone users the images that imitate life are easy to understand, relate to the purpose of the app and the relative easy of work that their clear indication allows.

This flat design is not good in this, otherwise why windows phones are on the shelfs and any other android also (except Samsung)???

Why do people with IOS interact more with their gadgets than any other OS??

I frankly believe that Apple is shooting itself on the foot.

This may disconnect normal users from the OS, losing market connection as if it is complicated why do not buy another complicated phone but for less money, so their goes sales, profits and start cutting on investment. This is the wrong way. 

Flat design for hardware, YES, for software, I do frankly believe is the wrong direction.

hope that I'm wrong and eat this words.

• Reply 72 of 75
    ermhmmermhmm Posts: 1member
    I came up with something completely different in my head

http://ermhmm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/ios-concepts-because-they-did-it.html
  • Reply 73 of 75
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    Apple's Advertising for the WWDC always compliments the announcements!

Look at the announcement!
    https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

What do you see? Square ugly ass design? NO! YOU SEE ROUND EDGES!!!

I CALL BS!
  • Reply 74 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ermhmm View Post

I came up with something completely different in my head

Looks like Windows 8. 

• Reply 75 of 75
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Now Apple is copying Microsoft's Metro theme?