Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Looks as though Tim is doing a good job of maintaining secrecy on this one. All there is is idle speculation and a fuzzy picture or two of some alpha version of iOS 7.

We'll know after we see what's unveiled. But I think it's true: Apple is much better at maintaining secrecy on-campus. But the suppliers, they leak like sieves.

• Reply 42 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I was referring to the BB Storm and Z10... which don't have keyboards. And don't be silly. Nobody buys those ancient things anymore.

I also have reason to believe that they were upset even if they had updated to iOS 6... there were even memes.

[image]

1) Nobody? What the hell is it with everybody using silly absolutely in this thread?

2) You do realize that's an icon for the Maps app, right, not a map for people to use, right? Where was the outcry when Google Maps was the engine and the icon showed I-280 going over De Anza Blvd? :\
  • Reply 43 of 75
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Who's on WWDC Moscone Center Banner Photos Detail?
  • Reply 44 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Who's on WWDC Moscone Center Banner Photos Detail?

DED, duh.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

There have been many changes to iTunes Connect portal over the last few months. I don't believe this change (square corners) is an indication of what to come. The round corners are an iOS signature. Just look at the Home button on iOS devices. Maybe they will tweak the current corners radius.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Btw the banners for WWDC show squares with rounded corners. Me thinks people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing.

I wish Apple allows developers to use icons with transparent background (like with Mac OS) and if you ask me these banners indicate they will.

• Reply 46 of 75
    fxgpvfxgpv Posts: 8member
    Is this taste? Copy Windows and Android??
  • Reply 47 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

None of us have seen what the final iOS 7 will look like. I think it's pretty unfair to throw around words like hideous and crap over something you haven't seen. image And a grainy picture of a rumored very early version of iOS doesn't count. image

Yeah, I'm probably just getting so nervous that I'm overstating things a bit.  

What we've seen is pretty hideous and is "crap" IMO but it isn't likely to be the real deal anyway.  

My main "hate-it" is the colour-coded/differentiated apps and the idea of a different colour for each though, and that looks very likely to happen in some form or other.  It all depends on *what* colours and exactly what shades they pick but I find the whole concept kind of stupid as well as being unoriginal.  

• Reply 48 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

Is this trolling? Shut up, fools.

• Reply 49 of 75
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Would be kinda fun to watch if Apple patents their 'square corners' innovation.

Then their competitors could still use corners, just as long as they weren't square or rounded.

• Reply 50 of 75
    Strange that most of you seem to miss the point of this simply being a pre-cursor to change in the app icons. Of course there won't be square icons, Apple is making a point here that the iOS 1-6 default app filter is changing in iOS7. It just won't be applied to the developer portal icons until after the WWDC reveal.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

So what? What if they decide to just copy copy copy?

Google never did anything else... Microsoft is based on copying, just like samsung.

Why is Apple forced to innovate? Why can't they just copy the others? They have the money and influence... They can undercut their prices and put all OEMs out of business. Why not?

• Reply 52 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Obviously just a temporary bug.

Look at the WWDC logo and especially the recently-revealed matching venue decor: round corners galore.

I think Metro looks really neat with all the squares, but in a very different way that I'm sure has no place in iOS today.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So what? What if they decide to just copy copy copy?

Google never did anything else... Microsoft is based on copying, just like samsung.

Why is Apple forced to innovate? Why can't they just copy the others? They have the money and influence... They can undercut their prices and put all OEMs out of business. Why not?

No one is forcing Apple to innovate, it's that we've become used to them being innovators that we expect to do it all the time.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member
    Square is ugly
  • Reply 55 of 75

Not happening.

Quoting from the biography of the Creator himself:

“Hertzfeld recalled that when Atkinson fired up his demo, everyone was impressed except Jobs. “Well, circles and ovals are good,” he said, “but how about drawing rectangles with rounded corners?”

“I don’t think we really need it,” said Atkinson, who explained that it would be almost impossible to do. “I wanted to keep the graphics routines lean and limit them to the primitives that truly needed to be done,” he recalled.

“Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere!” Jobs said, jumping up and getting more intense. “Just look around this room!” He pointed out the whiteboard and the tabletop and other objects that were rectangular with rounded corners. “And look outside, there’s even more, practically everywhere you look!” He dragged Atkinson out for a walk, pointing out car windows and billboards and street signs. “Within three blocks, we found seventeen examples,” said Jobs. “I started pointing them out everywhere until he was completely convinced.”

“When he finally got to a No Parking sign, I said, ‘Okay, you’re right, I give up. We need to have a rounded-corner rectangle as a primitive!’” Hertzfeld recalled, “Bill returned to Texaco Towers the following afternoon, with a big smile on his face. His demo was now drawing rectangles with beautifully rounded corners blisteringly fast.” The dialogue boxes and windows on the Lisa and the Mac, and almost every other subsequent computer, ended up being rendered with rounded corners.”

Excerpt From: Isaacson, Walter. “Steve Jobs.” Simon & Schuster, 2011. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/steve-jobs/id431617578?mt=11

• Reply 56 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
  • Reply 57 of 75
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Doesn't Microsoft own the patent for square icons?

/s

• Reply 58 of 75
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    ronbo wrote: »
    Yuck.

Yes..... It is Ugly......... Seriously hope this is not coming true......
  • Reply 59 of 75
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Wow look at all the fools believing Apple will scrap rounded corners.

Discussion on the second half of the article, the less odd suggestion that ios7 will look like the WWDC app would be very welcome.

So, what do we have here. No shine on buttons or highlighted icons. That's a hint. Less overt shadows. Depressed selection style from osx; there could there be increased cross-pollination of styles and elements. Perhaps iphone apps will join iPad apps in having their top corners rounded with only the option of a black status bar. We're definitely losing some individuality amongst apple apps, and whilst ske... skeueo... skew... looking like shit it ain't is clearly seen as A Bad Move, it will be sad if all frivolity and idiosyncrasy are completely expunged.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Square edges, rounded edges, I'm good either way. I would like to be able to custom color code outside edges of apps & files & be able to put in more apps per file & put more files on a page