Intel makes 'Thunderbolt 2' official with 20Gbps speeds, late 2013 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You think Apple was caught off guard by Thunderbolt 2? /s

Do you seriously think Intel and Apple don't talk? I wouldn't be surprised to find that Apple hardware has been used in the development process as it was for TB1.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    feynman wrote: »
    Now we know when the new MacPro will be out...

You should talk to the guy that posted just before you.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Because Thunderbolt 1 was such a hit! (Rolls eyes)

yeah...it one more thing no one has an affordable accessorie for....

• Reply 24 of 137
    oflife wrote: »
    The mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt connector is not really that good. I have a 2011 MBA 13" connected to a superb Dell monitor via DisplayPort, but the plug that goes into the MBA is not as well thought out as say Lightening, and likewise, the large connector that plugs into the monitor (looks like an HDMI with only one chamfered corner) is very very difficult to unplug.
    Actually for TB you don't want a connector that could unplug easily. TB is designed to connect to monitors and disk drives as such it needs to be reliable not intermittent or easily disconnected. That is why I agree with you about the Mini TB connector, it just doesn't inspire a feeling of reliability, especially if you are connecting a back up array of some sort.
    It is a pity the industry could not agree on the anyway up Lightening connector for Thunderbolt and use it to usurp the ageing and not very imaginative USB connectors.
    Actually the USB physical connector is a marvel of low cost engineering. Before USB came it was very difficult to buy an inexpensive connector that was as reliable as the USB connector and could be used repetitively. The imbeciles that whine about USB being difficult really should find a 5 year old to plug in their devices. Relatively speaking USB is a cake walk.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    geekdad wrote: »
    yeah...it one more thing no one has an affordable accessorie for....

On the flip side it never will have bargain basement accessories. If you or anyone else at anytime believed that TB was a replacement for USB you are woefully misinformed. It was made very clear at introduction that TB wasn't a replacement for USB but rather a port that takes off from where USB left us.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Backwards compatible...for all of those thousands of thunderbolt devices that are out there.

/sarcasm

Many Macs except for the Pro have TB.  The new devices therefore will work with older computers that don't have TB2.

That would be thousands.

• Reply 27 of 137
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple had early access to TB1, could it happen again? A Retina Cinema Display would presumably need this interface.

I was thinking the same thing.

Getting excited about WWDC...

• Reply 28 of 137
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Can't wait for the dribble of Thunderbolt 2 devices to begin in 2016.

• Reply 29 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think Intel and Apple don't talk?

Shh… The DOJ might claim they are conspiring.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    feynman wrote: »
    Now we know when the new MacPro will be out...

That was my first thought. Damn it I was hoping to get one this summer.
  • Reply 31 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

On the flip side it never will have bargain basement accessories. If you or anyone else at anytime believed that TB was a replacement for USB you are woefully misinformed. It was made very clear at introduction that TB wasn't a replacement for USB but rather a port that takes off from where USB left us.

You are correct...but I never said anything about USB........But there are a plethora of things you can do with a USB port. But that universal adoption has not happened with TB. There are some TB accessories but they are very expensive when compared to the same function using USB device. Granted TB might be the next step in technology...but we aren't there yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thunderbolt+accessories&oq=thunderbolt+aces&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3.7950j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=thunderbolt+accessories&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=oDevUau5GIysqQHI7IHoBA&ved=0CDwQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47380653,d.aWM&fp=54e8c596fe47624&biw=1433&bih=712

• Reply 32 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    ascii wrote: »
    Apple had early access to TB1, could it happen again? A Retina Cinema Display would presumably need this interface.

That would be nice.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    runbuh wrote: »
    But Soli told us it was going to have 40Gbps throughput.  I'm crushed.

Previous reported said it was doubling to 20Gb/s in each direction. And it does, but unlike TB1 it's aggregate isn't double the unidirectional capacity any longer.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    You are correct...but I never said anything about USB........But there are a plethora of things you can do with a USB port. But that universal adoption has not happened with TB. There are some TB accessories but they are very expensive when compared to the same function using USB device. Granted TB might be the next step in technology...but we aren't there yet.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=thunderbolt+accessories&oq=thunderbolt+aces&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3.7950j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=thunderbolt+accessories&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=oDevUau5GIysqQHI7IHoBA&ved=0CDwQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47380653,d.aWM&fp=54e8c596fe47624&biw=1433&bih=712

Why isn't it the next step? What does it need to do to be the next step? It will never used for connecting mice and keyboards like USB, but it wasn't designed to be. I don't recall people saying that DVI or DP was a failure simply because adoption was not universal.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That would be nice.

ASUS announced a 31.5" 3840x2160 monitor at Computex on Tuesday so I'm wondering if a Retina Cinema Display might not be so far away.

• Reply 36 of 137
    ascii wrote: »
    ASUS announced a 31.5" 3840x2160 monitor at Computex on Tuesday so I'm wondering if a Retina Cinema Display might not be so far away.

I think that display is $4000. You can buy a 50" 4K TV for as low as $1300.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Because Thunderbolt 1 was such a hit! (Rolls eyes)

???

Maybe not to you? I use it everyday. Professionals that have bought Macs for the last 2.5 years do also. Yes, peripherals for it are expensive....they are also REALLY good. 

Pay For What You Get.

• Reply 38 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Is there anyone besides the manufacturers who believe that Retina Cinema Displays, or Retina TVs, have any real world purpose?

In what scenario is 1080p not good enough from 10 feet away?

• Reply 39 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why isn't it the next step? What does it need to do to be the next step? It will never used for connecting mice and keyboards like USB, but it wasn't designed to be. I don't recall people saying that DVI or DP was a failure simply because adoption was not universal.

My thoughts were that it is not widely adopted yet. It is still in its infancy as far as being widely used. There isn't a wide range of affordable accessories for TB yet....and now we have TB2 coming. So i don't see prices dropping to where everyone will buy one. The thing about DVI was that the display manufacturers and video card makers all started incorporating them into their products. They advertised it was going to make gaming faster. They had a very eager audience that willingly adopted DVI based on the fact that it made their gaming experience better. There was no price difference in the products......

• Reply 40 of 137
    My thoughts were that it is not widely adopted yet. It is still in its infancy as far as being widely used. There isn't a wide range of affordable accessories for TB yet....and now we have TB2 coming. So i don't see prices dropping to where everyone will buy one. The thing about DVI was that the display manufacturers and video card makers all started incorporating them into their products. They advertised it was going to make gaming faster. They had a very eager audience that willingly adopted DVI based on the fact that it made their gaming experience better. There was no price difference in the products......

1) And what is keeping people from plugging in a monitor that supports DP signaling? Can't the port also be used with displays that support DVI/HDMI signaling?

2) I seem to recall that GPUs and PCs cost more if they supported DVI and DP when they were first released.