Intel makes 'Thunderbolt 2' official with 20Gbps speeds, late 2013 launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I brought up various uses for the TB port which you continually want to deny are viable. Are you forgetting that TB is protocol independent? This is a great technology for anything other than pedestrian use.

2) I may have brought it up first (no idea) but as I've shown you also brought it up, which you denied doing.

no...i don't deny any of the highlighted above...you have mis understood my comments from the start......

• Reply 82 of 137
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

It's interesting to note that the aggregate bandwidth is no different, it was 2x10 now it's 1x20, both directions. 

• Reply 83 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

WTF?

I agree with you here; it's not nearly that powerful an industry-changer. But it WILL be successful, and sooner than you'd imagine. Heck, than I'd imagine (which is as soon as you'd imagine, but just from the perspective of someone who thinks it'll succeed image).

• Reply 84 of 137
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ireland wrote: »
    Where you going to get 4K content?

I have a 27" iMac. Where do I get 2560x1440 content or is that display a waste?
    I have an iPad 3. Where do I get 2048x1536 content or is that display a waste?
    I have and iPhone 5. Where do I get 1136x640 content or is that display a waste?

Yeah...

I have similar devices.

It kind of galls that when I AirPlay from my iPad 4 (2048x1536) -- I have to downscale it to 1080P for my iMac or HDTV.

BTW, here's a chart from the Michael Cioni preso link in my prior post -- It shows 4K Data Rates in GigaBYTES per second:

• Reply 85 of 137

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

BTW, here's a chart from the Michael Cioni preso link in my prior post -- It shows 4K Data Rates in GigaBYTES per second:

That's probably uncompressed, yeah? 

• Reply 86 of 137
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not being expandable and not being internally upgradable are two different things. And "CNET News" is an oxymoron.

Well, you know everything. Congratulations!

• Reply 87 of 137
    ascii wrote: »
    4K TVs will be successful just because 3D was something of a flop and now the TV makers need a new reason to make us upgrade.

"Content is King" -- Didn't John Phillip Sousa compose a march about that? ;)

What will drive the sales of 4K TVs are:
    • Sports
    • Movies
    • Games
    • Social (Personal Video, Photos)
    • Business and Military (Collaboration, Presentations, Super Hi-Def video imagery, etc.)
    • Virtual Reality

Some leaders in the video industry think that Broadcast TV will not be a major industry by the end of this decade.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    WTF?

I have no idea what part you object to or don't understand. You clearly stated that there is no 4K content without considering what a TV is how the devices connected to it have have changed and are changing.

1) When I convert 11.6Gb/s I get 1.45GB/s.

2) I hope your image doesn't make people think that 2 hour iTunes movies will need to be 8 terabytes.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is there anyone besides the manufacturers who believe that Retina Cinema Displays, or Retina TVs, have any real world purpose?

In what scenario is 1080p not good enough from 10 feet away?

If Apple is going to release an Apple TV set, then perhaps a 4K Cinema Display would be the logical start in order to test production. 

• Reply 90 of 137

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

…a 4K Cinema Display…

But… unless they magically release card GPUs with Thunderbolt, I'll never be able to get one…

• Reply 91 of 137
    solipsismx wrote: »
    WTF?

I have no idea what part you object to or don't understand. You clearly stated that there is no 4K content without considering what a TV is how the devices connected to it have have changed and are changing.

1) When I convert 11.6Gb/s I get 1.45GB/s.

2) I hope your image doesn't make people think that 2 hour iTunes movies will need to be 8 terabytes.

The slide/figures are Micharl Cioni's -- they are using 10-bit log files (not 8-bit) so that may account for math discrepancy.

Where did you get the "11.6Gb/s" for your conversion?

I believe this chart refers to the original 5K/4K camera source data. This is converted to ProRes (several variants) for editing, then the the edit output is conformed with the original source data.

Watch the video -- it discusses the entire process.

When they have the final video conformed, they make copies for distribution (Theater, Academy, Cable, BluRay, DVD, etc) at various resolutions from 4K (Theater) down to 720P (DVD)...

So, no, your iTunes Movie won't be 8 Terabytes:

Finally, the movie was shot and processed [mostly] in Sweden and the UK... Lower Resolution Dailies were sent to Hollywood as iTunes Podcasts -- Higher resolution copies were sent (more slowly) using traditional methods.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    macxpress wrote: »
    Backwards compatible...for all of those thousands of thunderbolt devices that are out there.

/sarcasm

Welcome to the cutting edge of innovation!
    Population: the early adopters
    Expect whining from mainstream users
  • Reply 93 of 137
    The slide/figures are Micharl Cioni's -- they are using 10-bit log files (not 8-bit) so that may account for math discrepancy.

Where did you get the "11.6Gb/s" for your conversion?

I am certain I read it yesterday as a reason for TB2 to break the 10Gb/s barrier. However, I can't find the source so for all intents and purposes we should assume I'm mistaken.
    So, no, your iTunes Movie won't be 8 Terabytes

At most a frame would only be 4x as high as it currently, but the codec should make it much, much lower. And then once H.265 is available we'll see that cut in half.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    If Apple is going to release an Apple TV set, then perhaps a 4K Cinema Display would be the logical start in order to test production. 

Seems like a fair bet, but I do wonder if they'll release such a display this year when so few Macs could use it or wait until there are a lot more on the market that will support 4K, which means TB2 and Haswell.
  • Reply 95 of 137

And then once H.265 is available we'll see that cut in half.

Delicious H.265… do you think there will be any mention of it and a new iTunes at WWDC? Or at the iDevice event this fall?

• Reply 96 of 137
    Delicious H.265… do you think there will be any mention of it and a new iTunes at WWDC? Or at the iDevice event this fall?

I hope so yet I see nothing that makes me think it will be announced next week.

Note that the Samsung Galaxy S4 already supports it. I have no idea how effective it is but they can certainly check that box on the spec sheet.
  • Reply 97 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Well, you know everything. Congratulations!

LOL
  • Reply 98 of 137

Note that the Samsung Galaxy S4 already supports it. I have no idea how effective it is but they can certainly check that box on the spec sheet.

I guess 12 frames per second counts as "support". image

• Reply 99 of 137
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's just foolish… The last thing Thunderbolt needs is idiotic, confusing standard changes like USB: the "universal" bus with six different connectors. What, I suppose there will be a "Thunderbolt 2.5" eventually that does 20 both ways simultaneously, and then a Thunderbolt 3 that does 40Gbps one way… 

Thanks, though.

Then you will agree that Apple's variations on existing connectors are equally "idiotic" and "confusing"?

Mini VGA

Mini DVI

Micro DVI

Mini Displayport

• Reply 100 of 137
    WOT...

OK, maybe, just a little WWDC foreplay...

I happened to glance at a cable news program covering the building collapse in Philadelphia...

What caught my eye was a rather jerky [manual] low resolution (jagged) zoom-in shot...

I was able to determine the location, and went to work with Apple Maps on my iPad:

[VIDEO]

It's kinda' weird, but this is the second time this week that I have used 3D Flyover on Apple Maps to supplement information provided on a TV Show. The other show was "Extreme Homes" which showed a home in West Hollywood that had been rebuilt -- gutted except for the exterior shell. The shell was painted solid black... Using 3D Flyover, starting at the Hollywood Sign (shown in the TV Show), I was quickly able to locate the house at 6158 Mulholland Hwy.