Intel makes 'Thunderbolt 2' official with 20Gbps speeds, late 2013 launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    owen35 wrote: »
    And so affordable too.  Let me dig around my bank account for another $60 to buy a cable that attaches to my $400 500 gig hard drive.

Why would you plug in a single HDD into TB? What benefit would that afford?

How about you buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display and plug via USB the RAIDed Time Machine backup into the back of the display, along with all other connections you may have. How can USB3.0 compete with that?
  • Reply 62 of 137
    ireland wrote: »
    Where you going to get 4K content?

I have a 27" iMac. Where do I get 2560x1440 content or is that display a waste?
    I have an iPad 3. Where do I get 2048x1536 content or is that display a waste?
    I have and iPhone 5. Where do I get 1136x640 content or is that display a waste?
  • Reply 63 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    solipsismx wrote: »

How about you buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display and plug via USB the RAIDed Time Machine backup into the back of the display, along with all other connections you may have. How can USB3.0 compete with that?

He does have a point about the cables being a rip off. That only adds to the chances of this standard not being more broadly used.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Where you going to get 4K content?

"Hey, Ted, nobody has 4K TVs; why should we waste our time making content for 'em?"

"You're right, Bill."

"I'd buy a 4K TV, but there's no content for it."

"How do you imagine they judge willingness to create content? It's just like getting rid of Flash."

"But… no content!"

• Reply 65 of 137
    I have a 27" iMac. Where do I get 2560x1440 content or is that display a waste?
    I have an iPad 3. Where do I get 2048x1536 content or is that display a waste?

He wants a 4K TV. That's a different matter altogether.
    I have and iPhone 5. Where do I get 1136x640 content or is that display a waste?

What the hell are you talking about? 640p?
  • Reply 66 of 137
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    pmz wrote: »
    Is there anyone besides the manufacturers who believe that Retina Cinema Displays, or Retina TVs, have any real world purpose?

In what scenario is 1080p not good enough from 10 feet away?

I don't know what the consumer requirement for retina or 4K displays are -- but in the video editing and publishing industry 4K is becoming the norm.

Here's a video preso by Michael Cioni:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/732-michael-cioni-talks-4k-workflow-and-fcp-proxies-for-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo

It discusses shooting, editing and distributing the movie "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

It is a fun and informative view!

At about 7 minutes in, Michael discusses how the video was shot in 5K and 4K, then edited and distributed entirely in 4K.

Later, Michael discusses the fact that 5K/4K provides advantages never before possible with digital editing:
    -- they can subsample a smaller portion of the video for actual use
    -- they can separately edit an actor's performance in one take and stitch it together with another actor from a different take
    -- they can make videos with 5K/4K that aren't otherwise possible.

Anyway, it makes the case for this newer/higher-definition content... A very informative and enjoyable 30 minutes.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Exactly. And conversely, as soon as you make a RAID0 out of 2 HDs, watch USB3 go crying home to mama.

• Reply 68 of 137
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You wrote, "The rapid adoption of DVI was because it filled a need for the gaming community. They wanted a faster video throughput. The same environment does not exist for TB."

really? You brought up DVI...so i explained it to you. Do the same conditions that lead to the DVI adoption exist now for Macs? Can you switch video cards from a DB9 video card to a DVI video card on a Mac to get better FPS for the newest games that were flooding the market at the TIME when the DVI was released?

Are there TB video cards for Macs that will connect to a TB monitor? When was the last time you switched video cards on your Mac to gain better video throughput? 

You brought up DVI and TB together and compared them.....I never did....til now to show you...they are not the same and are not used the same way.

• Reply 69 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

4K TVs will be successful just because 3D was something of a flop and now the TV makers need a new reason to make us upgrade.

• Reply 70 of 137
    ascii wrote: »
    4K TVs will be successful just because 3D was something of a flop and now the TV makers need a new reason to make us upgrade.

4K TVs be successful because 3D was a flop, or, 4K TVs will be a flop because 3D was a flop?
  • Reply 71 of 137
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This probably means that the new Mac Pro won't be released until the fall. If rumors about the Mac Pro not being internally upgradable are true it will have to rely on external components such as hard drives.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

4K TVs be successful because 3D was a flop? Or, 4K TV will be a flop because 3D was a flop?

4K will be successful because it isn't a gimmick. It's yet another meaningful improvement in experience.

Do you need glasses to view 4K? That in itself secures it as a success.

• Reply 72 of 137
    He does have a point about the cables being a rip off. That only adds to the chances of this standard not being more broadly used.

1) They are more expensive than other cables and adapters, but they are a rip off? You do realize the cables are chipped, right? If you are just going to plug in a 2.5" HDD it's not Intel or Apple's fault if you foolishly buy a TB drive when a USB drive would be just as fast.

2) Here's mono price with adapters and cables that will plug into your TB port and output video to various display signaling. Not unreasonable prices, but certainly higher than other options on their site.

He wants a 4K TV. That's a different matter altogether.
    What the hell are you talking about?

1) You're like the guy at HP who turned down Wozniak's idea for a personal computer because he couldn't see the bigger picture. The TV is just a monitor. The Apple TV is just an iPod for your living room. In other words, it's a computer. I would love to have a 70" 4K in my living room with Apple TV apps to use.

2) Surely you realize that people buy 1080p TVs to use with their crappy cable company's 720p content and upscaled DVDs. Why aren't they just buying 720p TVs since they aren't getting 1080p content. If you want there to be millions of movies and TV shows on some mythical Blu-ray Xtreme format before there are any monitors that can support it then you're doing it backwards.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    This probably means that the new Mac Pro won't be released until the fall. If rumors about the Mac Pro not being internally upgradable are true it will have to rely on external components such as hard drives.

Where did you hear those rumors? I highly doubt that.
  • Reply 75 of 137

4K will be successful because it isn't a gimmick. It's yet another meaningful improvement in experience.

Do you need glasses to view 4K? That in itself secures it as a success.

If the content and the hardware cost the same and 4K content was widely available I'd agree with you, but neither of those things will be true for 10 years or so.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

From CNet

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57587367-37/apples-new-mac-pro-said-to-ditch-expansions-arrive-this-fall/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=

Quote:

Where did you hear those rumors? I highly doubt that.

• Reply 77 of 137
    geekdad wrote: »
    really? You brought up DVI...so i explained it to you. Do the same conditions that lead to the DVI adoption exist now for Macs? Can you switch video cards from a DB9 video card to a DVI video card on a Mac to get better FPS for the newest games that were flooding the market at the TIME when the DVI was released?
    Are there TB video cards for Macs that will connect to a TB monitor? When was the last time you switched video cards on your Mac to gain better video throughput? 
    You brought up DVI and TB together and compared them.....I never did....til now to show you...they are not the same and are not used the same way.

1) I brought up various uses for the TB port which you continually want to deny are viable. Are you forgetting that TB is protocol independent? This is a great technology for anything other than pedestrian use.

2) I may have brought it up first (no idea) but as I've shown you also brought it up, which you denied doing.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    You're like the guy at HP who turned down Wozniak's idea for a personal computer because he couldn't see the bigger picture.

WTF?
  • Reply 79 of 137

Not being expandable and not being internally upgradable are two different things. And "CNET News" is an oxymoron.
  • Reply 79 of 137

Not being expandable and not being internally upgradable are two different things. And "CNET News" is an oxymoron.