Editorial: Anticipating WWDC 2013 under a cloud of Apple doubt

15791011

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 203
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post



    I like this article, and I like to share appleinsider articles that are well written, but when you add things like "Google's hobbyist Android platform", it turns this into a name calling territory.



    Also, why doesn't the chart show the number of Google accounts? I believe that number is on par with what FB has. Comparing the number of credit cards on file would be a better metric.


     


    Well, it is what it is.


    If you honestly think about the Android platform, how it became what it is today, how it is forked and inconsistent, you would agree that it is fact a hobbyist Android platform.  I would not call it a Frankenstein platform just yet and hopefully it won't get to that.  But still, it is what it is.

  • Reply 122 of 203
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I hate areticles like this were they dont even bother to try to make a conclusion.
  • Reply 123 of 203
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jguther View Post


    You may want to take a minute and try to understand why Apple is moving away from the outdated concept of files and folders. There's plenty of literature out there. A file system shared between all applications is the biggest security risk of all. Also, we learned from usability studies that the classical hierachical file system is the #1 stumbling block for the average user. Once you understand that, it is pretty obvious why Apple is moving to innovative ways of storing and presenting content. Spotlight, Documents in the cloud, iPhoto Library, iTunes Library, Launchpad and many more all point in the same direction - good-bye file system...


     


    Time to realize that something that was a good idea 40 years ago is no longer state of the art...



    Can you please cite proper, peer-reviewed studies that (a) file system shared between all applications i the biggest security risk of all, and (b) the classical hierarchical file system is the #1 stumbling block for the average user? Very interested in this. But I emphasize "proper, peer reviewed studies".


     


    Thank you.

  • Reply 124 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    daewalker wrote: »
    OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.

    Sounds like you've neglected the very real detail that not all work means using something like Office.
  • Reply 125 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Here's the deal, IMO...

    Step 1: Bring all the Mobile apps to the Desktop -- allow any/all iOS apps to rurn on the desktop -- Maps, Siri, Proloquo2go... whatever.

    While it may not make sense for some apps, it does for about 80% of them.

    I would say more like 10% of them and 9% of those have a desktop app

    And I totally disagree that such a forcing together Metro Style is good for anyone. Or that it would blow anyone away.
    Step 2: Make it so most/any of these mobile/desktop apps can run on the web and AppleTV.

    You an already. It's called AirPlay.

    Few apps are appropriate for the TV mode on their own so you would need a controller anyway. That is your device.
    [/quote]
  • Reply 126 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm already predicting WWDC will be a failure with tech and general media. If Apple doesn't turn iOS into Android they'll bitch and whine about it. If Apple does add some Android like features like widgets they'll bitch and whine that Apple isn't being innovative, they're just copying Google. And either way someone will accuse them of copying Microsoft because apparently Microsoft invented color and "flat" design.

    Or when they do mostly under the hood changes and just remove some drop shadows etc folks will gripe about how they didn't do anything.
  • Reply 127 of 203
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Every year we go through the same old thing. The anal-ists say Apple will fail and Apple makes them look like what they really are, stupid idiots! There is no such thing as magic, only hard work. People at Apple are always hard at work making products that people love to use. Anal-ists don't understand that you can't make products like that on a snap of your fingers just because they want to see something new at a certain time to make there bank accounts grow faster.
  • Reply 128 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by daewalker

    OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.


     


    Shut up and go away.





    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

    Induce Charging:

    I wish Apple would now do induce charging since we don't need to sync with a cable anymore. 


     


    Get rid of the cable by adding a cable, huh?





    BUT, the problem is they removed google maps at the same time.


     


    Your complaint is that something that should have happened years earlier happened? Your complaint is that something that is already taken care of for the whiny morons wasn't always taken care of?


    image

  • Reply 129 of 203
    Apple has certainly not been lucky, its been dynamic and innovative, its success has not been because of another's failure on the contrary, its through brilliance it has succeeded and as a company mistakes of past should not be repeated.

    The day apple bows to pressure to release products just to please the stock market or fickle journalists or negative bloggers is the day it will be doomed for failure because I'd you can't please those people when you are your most successful you will never please them - period.

    I totally agree with this. I do believe news this week will be exciting for the consumer, not sure how the markets will react, but I would bet that the stock will stay either calm or maybe go up a bit... investors are in "sit and wait" mode...
  • Reply 130 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by Wertherland View Post

    The day apple bows to pressure to release products just to please the stock market or fickle journalists or negative bloggers is the day it will be doomed for failure because I'd you can't please those people when you are your most successful you will never please them - period.


     


    *coughiPadminicough*

  • Reply 131 of 203
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    fyngyrz wrote: »
    and further, Aperture is crippled by being artificially tied to the latest OS via the camera RAW updates. Apple's really being kind of stupid about that, frankly. Aperture will run back a few OS levels... but it can't load images from your camera. Well, now isn't THAT special. Pinheads.

    I don't know how outdated your impression is, because that's not true anymore. I am running 10.7 and I still got RAW updates last week.
  • Reply 132 of 203
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


     


    That's a whole lot of TL;DR but this line is particularly gagworthy.


     


    QuickTime invented multimedia playback at a time when DOS PCs couldn't reliably play back audio. 



     


    Indeed, I misremembered the timing on this, but my main point remains.  


    Apple is great at OS software, and somewhere between "poor" and "okay" at everything else IMO.  


     


    That's an informed opinion from someone who has used every mac and most every piece of mac software that ever existed. 

  • Reply 133 of 203
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by daewalker View Post



    OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.


     


    Eh, what a crock of horse-shit. Somehow, 've managed to "get work done" using the iWork suite, and have created and edited thousands of documents on it, including presentations, and made $$ from doing so. So have millions of others. What exactly is pages or keynote missing in order to get your magical "work done"? Microsoft office is also available for Mac if thats what you're comparing it to. I haven't met anyone who "can't get work done" using their mac, and the people I know who use one do more work on it than anyone I know that uses a PC. 

  • Reply 134 of 203
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


     


    Uh, your entire post is pretty much horse-shit. Apple's entire success has largely been based on software, not hardware. If the software was shit it wouldnt have mattered how good the hardware was. OSX and iOS are both best in class, brilliant pieces of software that were both ahead of their times, and superior in many, many ways to competing offerings. You attempts to dismiss all of Apple's software using odd justifications is absurd at best. There are dozens and dozens of examples of Apple's software frameworks, paradigms, and concepts which consistently have been adopted by the rest of the computer industry, and moved things forward in a big way- from underlying technologies, to consumer apps like the ILife suite, to pro apps like aperture and final cut, to utilities like time machine, to iOS and its apps, Apple has consistently innovated both in the underlying technologies, and the forward facing UI and software features and have made previously complex tasks simple and intuitive, using extremely powerful software. If you consider Apple a "mediocre" software developer, I'm not sure what company on this planet you would consider to be more proficient, especially in such wide areas. 



     


    Aside from being really fucking rude with the reply, *your* post is actually "horse-shit."  The reason being that everything you say here is a repeat of what I said.  


     


    I actually agree (and said so explicitly in my post) that Apple makes good "OS software."  Everything you mention about the OS, the underlying frameworks and the so forth is true.  


     


    What I actually said was that everything *else* they make is basically "okay" or not very good.  By this I mean things like Mail, Safari, iPhoto, iTunes, and especially their non-comimital, lazy attempts at making a half-decent word processor or a spreadsheet program.  


     


    "User" software is what I said was bad, and you just responded with "All the system software is great!"

  • Reply 135 of 203
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Apple has been throwing revolutionary products all over the place, and people thinking that Mac OS will be IOS are looking at it reverse of apple, I think we might see a quad core IOS development of 32 to 128 gb devices, with an apple merge of a out of the park IOS outlook!
  • Reply 136 of 203
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post



    … Let me put it to you this way. As a dev, and an owner of many IOS and OSX items, after multiple IOS "upgrades" failed to provide real folders, the ability to share data between apps (or really any other form of realistic synergy), a "finder" like tool, or even just the ability to have as many files as you want in a folder … 


     


    Total BS.  Apps could share data since iOS 3.0 and were made "aware" of each other for signalling purposes in iOS 4.  It may not be what you want, but you are lying when you imply that Apple has done nothing on this.  


     


    Any reasonable critic would also at least mention the many great reasons that this sort of thing is difficult to achieve securely, and any good "dev" (rolleyes), would be aware of the fact that users don't like dealing with file systems.  

  • Reply 137 of 203
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    daewalker wrote: »
    OSX is great but in terms of productivity, Apple has been left in the dust. iWork has the potential to be amazing, but Apple has neglected one of the most significant reasons why most people use computers - to get work done.

    I think the big real hang-up is the other systems don't read its files. So you have to export for other people to use your work.

    I use Pages to make all of my instructions. It doesn't have everything, doesn't try to be everything for everyone, but it's very straightforward and has more than what I need. The problem with the "kitchen sink" approach is that you have a lot of features getting in the way of people that don't use them.

    The only thing I really wish is that Apple didn't use non-standard hot key combinations. That can be rewired, but I don't think we should have to do that.
  • Reply 138 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    b9bot wrote: »
    Every year we go through the same old thing. The anal-ists say Apple will fail and Apple makes them look like what they really are, stupid idiots! There is no such thing as magic, only hard work. People at Apple are always hard at work making products that people love to use. Anal-ists don't understand that you can't make products like that on a snap of your fingers just because they want to see something new at a certain time to make there bank accounts grow faster.

    There more to it then hard work, though. Ideas, creativity, inspiration, belief, collaboration, management, leadership, direction, talent, deal making, energy, momentum, marketing, brand power, mind share, and the most important of all; the reason why you're doing what you do.
  • Reply 139 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm already predicting WWDC will be a failure with tech and general media. If Apple doesn't turn iOS into Android they'll bitch and whine about it. If Apple does add some Android like features like widgets they'll bitch and whine that Apple isn't being innovative, they're just copying Google. And either way someone will accuse them of copying Microsoft because apparently Microsoft invented color and "flat" design. Oh and someone will accuse Apple of ripping off the Android font, even though that's a rip off of several other fonts, and Apple has been using Helvetia for a long time now. Won't matter, it will still be called a ripoff of MicrosoftGoogle. And the fans that don't like it will whine that Tim Cook needs too be fired, Jony Ive demoted back to hardware design only and Scott Forstall brought back to "save" Apple.

    Bank on it. :smokey:

    The glass is half empty, no?
  • Reply 140 of 203
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


     


    Aside from being really fucking rude with the reply, *your* post is actually "horse-shit."  The reason being that everything you say here is a repeat of what I said.  


     


    I actually agree (and said so explicitly in my post) that Apple makes good "OS software."  Everything you mention about the OS, the underlying frameworks and the so forth is true.  


     


    What I actually said was that everything *else* they make is basically "okay" or not very good.  By this I mean things like Mail, Safari, iPhoto, iTunes, and especially their non-comimital, lazy attempts at making a half-decent word processor or a spreadsheet program.  


     


    "User" software is what I said was bad, and you just responded with "All the system software is great!"



     


     


    ..and yet, you still haven't provided a reason as to why you believe Pages is less than a half decent word processor. Why don't you list 10 things it's missing, or anything at all for that matter, that would magically make it "decent"? Wouldn't that be mosre constructive, and useful for people to see where you're coming from, instead of repeatedly proclaiming how terrible it is? What does it need? I use Pages and Word for Mac very heavily. For one, Pages has inifnitely superior layout management when working with documents with photos, etc. Much smoother, more intuitive, and does what I'm wanting it to do much more often than Word. I use Word when I absolutely have to, when I need to preserve compatibility as much as possible with files sent by Word on PC, and I definitely have never "missed" anything when using Pages. 


     


    So again, what's wrong with Pages? Justify your opinion. 

Sign In or Register to comment.