Editorial: Anticipating WWDC 2013 under a cloud of Apple doubt

Comments

• Reply 161 of 203
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Eh, what a crock of horse-shit. Somehow, 've managed to "get work done" using the iWork suite, and have created and edited thousands of documents on it, including presentations, and made $$ from doing so. So have millions of others. What exactly is pages or keynote missing in order to get your magical "work done"? Microsoft office is also available for Mac if thats what you're comparing it to. I haven't met anyone who "can't get work done" using their mac, and the people I know who use one do more work on it than anyone I know that uses a PC. 

Really? Just because you can create a document, spreadsheet, or presentation doesn't make iWork as powerful as MS Office. I installed Office for Mac the first day I got my MBP because you just plain need it in the academic and office world.

Here's a review of Numbers, which is the most critical in any work environment (word processing and presentations are about showing data rather than working with it):

http://www.macworld.com/article/1138426/numbers09.html

I have both MS Office and iWork. I work with and share from both. I agree re. Numbers. Excel is (currently) superior. But Keynote and Pages are far better than PPT and Word, respectively, in my experience.

That said, iWork is well overdue for a substantial update. I hope that Numbers will be upgraded, especially with more statistical and simulation tools/plug-ins (the latter of which is sorely lacking for the Mac).

• Reply 162 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by daewalker View Post

iWork is crippled. It is in no way even close to what you can do in Microsoft Office.  Maybe you're just not a power user.  

Please tell us exactly how Pages and Keynote are 'crippled', instead of just making bland assertions?

• Reply 163 of 203

Quote:

But the vast majority use Microsoft Office. 

Um... the vast majority uses PCs too. Do you have a point?

• Reply 164 of 203
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

It's people that believe Apple can do no wrong and that there is no room for improvement hinder development, progress, innovation, etc.  If we lived in your world, we'd still be working on Apple IIc's.

So Office Ribbon is development, progress, innovation, etc? Yeah, right up there with bumping phones to exchange playlists. image

• Reply 165 of 203
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I assure you all: you would not be happy with induction charging for at least the following reasons:

1) When charging from a cable, one can still easily hold the phone and do whatever he wishes while it charges: type, play games, talk on the phone (I know, no one does this anymore), leave it next to you on the bed for a sleep cycle monitor…etc. Why would anyone want to hold an induction pad to the back of the phone to use it while charging it? This is the Number one deal breaker for inductive charging

2) Cable charging works great in a moving car or boat, the iPhone would slip off an inductive charger frequently.

3) Inductive charging is is inefficient—current iPhones can be charged with tiny solar panels (camping, sailboats etc—yes many of us do this.)

4) Inductive charging is slower, who the hell wants that?!?

5) Cord sync is still faster and more reliable. What if your phone bricks and needs a full software restore?

Fully agree with your points. Plus I can easily carry a USB charging cable in my pocket and use any available USB point to charge my phone. Who wants to carry an inductive charger with them everywhere?
  • Reply 166 of 203
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 167 of 203
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stef View Post

Ask yourself: Would you rather create a product of such excellence that one person would pay a million bucks for it or create a product so popular that a million people would pay one buck for it? Which do you think Apple prefers? And which Samsung?

Apple would prefer neither of these scenarios.

• Reply 168 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jony Ive in the house. Now it's time to get excited!

He's obviously carrying the new 17" iPad.

• Reply 169 of 203
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Good eye.
  • Reply 170 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jony Ive in the house. Now it's time to get excited!

Hmmm.... could it be a supercharged new display -- over time, replacing the Cinema Display -- that also doubles as a bad-a$$ iPad if/when needed? image

• Reply 171 of 203

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm.... could it be a supercharged new display -- over time, replacing the Cinema Display -- that also doubles as a bad-a$$ iPad if/when needed? image

I'd buy one.

• Reply 172 of 203
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I disagre in that I think that Apple should make iLife and iWork apps available on Windows... For the exact reason that they made iTunes available on Windows -- it makes iDevices easier to sell -- and introduces the "Apple Way" to non-Apple users (the halo).

I assume that iLife and iWork would be actively enhanced and maintained... Lean and mean!

Scenario: Start creating your document, spreadsheet or preso with iWork instead of Office -- then access it seamlessly among your computers and mobile devices. It won't be acceptable for the "power" Office users... But for the millions of Moms, Dads, Kids and Grandparents... I/They don't want or need the Office bloat on any of their computers or iDevices.

Dick, As much as I usually agree with you, on this issue ... not so much. When iTunes became available for windows, it was to sell Apple devices, but those devices were only used to play music, for the most part. Even so, iTunes on a Windows device is not the same high quality user experience that it is on an iPod. That lesser experience, which is usually due to the lesser quality of the device, sometimes leaves a bad impression on a user about Apple ... because Apple designed the software, but has no control of the hardware, in the case of Windows.

I think the whole success of Apple is the degree of control they have from top to bottom when putting a product out to market and to dilute that control to the many other "computer manufacturers" would not serve them well. I'd rather see that gap between Mac and PC widen instead of giving a PC user a similar experience in a PC. 

On another topic, I'd bet tomorrow we're going to see a major announcement re: a new Apple TV with an opening up of the platform for "a new app store"? for tv apps. That would explain "a whole new world developing". I'm thinking much larger storage for gaming, etc. and the ability for 3rd party apps would excite the market ... fresh dollars. We'll see, not long now.

• Reply 173 of 203
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nah, That's his wallet.

• Reply 174 of 203
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If only you were born in the right place at the right time. Then you could be that "gold standard" that you likely believe you are.

Seriously, it's obnoxious to see a guy spend so much effort trying to tear down a great mind who accomplished more than 10 of you ever will and give him a big "meh, he got lucky. Millions could have done the same thing". Except they didn't.

Look Asol, STFU.  Seriously its obnoxious to be bothered by ass holes like you who can only support your position with an argument ad hominem.  Nothing I said remotely implied that I thought I was a genius or would be deemed one if I were lucky. You and the other lemmings of the world are why Einstein has been deemed a genius.  I can see you certainly aren't one of the millions of people of Einstein's caliber.  

Don't get me wrong, I think Einstein was a creative, smart, cool dude, but not so much a genius.  I'm not the only one to think this.  see: 

http://jeremywaite.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/einstein-was-not-a-genius/

• Reply 175 of 203
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Dick, As much as I usually agree with you, on this issue ... not so much. When iTunes became available for windows, it was to sell Apple devices, but those devices were only used to play music, for the most part. Even so, iTunes on a Windows device is not the same high quality user experience that it is on an iPod. That lesser experience, which is usually due to the lesser quality of the device, sometimes leaves a bad impression on a user about Apple ... because Apple designed the software, but has no control of the hardware, in the case of Windows.

I think the whole success of Apple is the degree of control they have from top to bottom when putting a product out to market and to dilute that control to the many other "computer manufacturers" would not serve them well. I'd rather see that gap between Mac and PC widen instead of giving a PC user a similar experience in a PC. 

On another topic, I'd bet tomorrow we're going to see a major announcement re: a new Apple TV with an opening up of the platform for "a new app store"? for tv apps. That would explain "a whole new world developing". I'm thinking much larger storage for gaming, etc. and the ability for 3rd party apps would excite the market ... fresh dollars. We'll see, not long now.

You may be correct about iWork.  However, Apple really needs to release Maps for Android, Mac, and Windows.  iMessage also needs to be available on Android, but not windows.  Here's the rationale, Maps need to be integrated with lots of other apps and many developers are just going to use Google Maps since they can program for it on all platforms.  For iMessage, we need to be able to connect with non-Apple users, especially since they are the majority of cell phone users.  

• Reply 176 of 203

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

However, Apple really needs to release Maps for Android, Mac, and Windows.

Not really… It'd be great for OS X, but they absolutely don't need to release it on any platform, and NEVER will on Android/Windows.

iMessage also needs to be available on Android…

And not at all. Why do Android idiots deserve infinite free messaging for paying Apple absolutely nothing?

For iMessage, we need to be able to connect with non-Apple users, especially since they are the majority of cell phone users.  

No, people need to become Apple users. What sort of rationale is this?! Apple is a company, for heaven's sake. Android is a wholly stolen product. Why should Apple even acknowledge it EXISTS, much less make anything that keeps people away from iOS? Come on.

• Reply 177 of 203
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I have both MS Office and iWork. I work with and share from both. I agree re. Numbers. Excel is (currently) superior. But Keynote and Pages are far better than PPT and Word, respectively, in my experience.

That misses the point, too.

The vast majority of people could use Pages or Word. The vast majority of people could use PPT or Keynote. The number of people who need to use Excel instead of Numbers is somewhat larger, but I'll bet it's still a minority.

EITHER ONE is perfectly OK for what most people do with these apps. The differences (either way) are only visible to a tiny fraction of users. For the rest, they're mostly just using what they're familiar with.
  • Reply 178 of 203
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    You say that Apple is still developing the technology and then go on to say that it's actually Sharp or other manufacturers developing the technology haha.  Freudian slip.

What a sharp mind you have, but are you paying attention?

Do you think Apple spent a billion plus on Sharp by just writing them a check with no strings, or do you think maybe Apple has engineers working on the production procesess for their IGZO screens with them? Do you imagine that Apple is sitting around in Cupertino, after spending a billion, waiting for Sharp to say, "Ok, we're ready, how many millions of displays was it that you needed again?"

Yes the technology comes from Sharp and Semiconductor Energy Laboratories, but it ain't going into tens of millions of mobile devices without Apple bankrolling and overseeing the devlopment. So who's the developer in this scenario?

My point was that there are people whining about Apple's pace of development who are incapable of cause and effect technical reasoning, probably because they have never seen a factory floor in the whole of their sheltered lives. You may now join that club. I nominate you.
  • Reply 179 of 203
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Not really… It'd be great for OS X, but they absolutely don't need to release it on any platform, and NEVER will on Android/Windows.

And not at all. Why do Android idiots deserve infinite free messaging for paying Apple absolutely nothing?

No, people need to become Apple users. What sort of rational is this?! Apple is a company, for heaven's sake. Android is a wholly stolen product. Why should Apple even acknowledge it EXISTS, much less make anything that keeps people away from iOS? Come on.

This is massively, irrefutably correct. Android is tainted. You can smell the sulfer, to borrow a line from a certain departed political figure.

Edit: I had to laugh when Daniel called a "hobbyist" platform, but I think he's being kind.
  • Reply 180 of 203
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Nope I'm pretty sure that's Apple's answer to the Galaxy Mega series phones: the iPhone XL