Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Could it be that this was the update that was to come last year and Lion was truly to be the last of the
    'cats' OS? Maybe they couldn't get it all in and went for a last minute 'Mountain Lion'.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Better than them reading their talks from a script.

Oh, certainly. 

• Reply 23 of 69

So far no features that I will use. It will should run faster, but it already runs fast.

• Reply 24 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Better than them reading their talks from a script.

Or having little skits on stage to illustrate how your product functions could (in theory) be useful to the common man.

• Reply 25 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

... Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

The thing about that I find the most interesting is that for many years Apple strenuously argued that it wasn't broken and that they had purposely designed it with the top bar and dock only on the main screen.  I find that (previous) argument rather more compelling than the recent reversal as I'm sure do many others.  

It's the same with a lot of things they announced in both iOS and OS X today also.  Reversals of previously held "philosophical" positions, in favour of "what the rabble want."  

I'm not so sure I like this new Apple. 

• Reply 26 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

....Brought to you by a "team of mavericks" - but I didn't see either John McCain or Sarah Palin in the audience.....

Such a tacky, tacky name.  

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

• Reply 27 of 69
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

They've long highlighted the California association so this has a certain logic.

Sure, "Eleven" would have been far more innovative. But I expect that "Thirteen" downside loomed too big to go that way. No way you offend the superstitious demo that way.

• Reply 28 of 69
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Or having little skits on stage to illustrate how your product functions could (in theory) be useful to the common man.

That (little skits) may have been the single most excoriated feature of the Galaxy S4 rollout.

Second only to the entire building's WiFi crashing.

• Reply 29 of 69
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The thing about that I find the most interesting is that for many years Apple strenuously argued that it wasn't broken and that they had purposely designed it with the top bar and dock only on the main screen.  I find that (previous) argument rather more compelling than the recent reversal as I'm sure do many others.  

It's the same with a lot of things they announced in both iOS and OS X today also.  Reversals of previously held "philosophical" positions, in favour of "what the rabble want."  

I'm not so sure I like this new Apple. 

Now that Steve is gone expect to see some changes.  I don't care what their past philosophy was, the new changes make a better product.  I'm all for it.

Quote:

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

Seriously, you're offended the next OS is named after a beach in California?  If the name of a Californian beach offends you why even use a product designed in the US?  There's plenty of machines from Japan (Sony, Toshiba) that shouldn't offend you.  Or how about all those computers coming out of Europe that you read about every day?  If 10.10 is named Bondi would that be equally offensive? 

Is the name a little odd? Ya, I'd agree.  Especially considering it's a beach most people in the U.S. have never heard of, but it is what it is.  We'll only have a year to worry about it before we move on.

• Reply 30 of 69
    Compressed Memory sounds an awful lot like what "RAM Doubler" did for us back in the days of OS 8/9 when 4-MB of memory was standard on our Centris and Quadra Macs. It compressed infrequently used RAM contents (while they were in RAM, so it happened quickly and transparently to the user) but the extra RAM freed up when RAM prices were sky high was invaluable.

Now that RAM is relatively cheap, does it make as much sense? I'd say, YES, since Apple Inc. seems to be hard-wiring a lot of their machines with fixed RAM allotments. This RAM Doubling act in OS X Mavericks (lame name unless you're from the West Coast), should do nicely.
  • Reply 31 of 69

The X in OSX has now become standard. It flows so nicely that they will never call it OSXI.

I'm not crazy about the "Mavericks" name.

"What OS do you have?"

"I'm running Mavericks"

Maybe it will sound better over time....Like iPad.

The tags feature could really change workflows and I'm excited about that.

• Reply 32 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I'm not crazy about the "Mavericks" name.
    "What OS do you have?"
    "I'm running Mavericks"

Maybe it will sound better over time....Like iPad.

The thing with using a series of common names is that it's easier to put them in order. This seems like they will be picking random places or icons in California. They would have run out of cats eventually so they had to come up with something new. One positive is that they can choose things more freely and get nice photography to match. I think abstract names might have worked better such as 10.9 Ocean / Wave / Surf because the association with the imagery is easier internationally but the way they chose, it promotes things in California, which they seem to have wanted.

Craig seemed a bit surprised at the reaction when he announced the features like tabs and multiple displays, like 'really you like fullscreen on multiple desktops'. Um, yes because that's the logical way for it to work and having access to the menu bar and dock on multiple screens has been needed for so long. Craig only came back to Apple in 2009 but OS X has been around for 13 years; after just a few years, some of those missing things really start to get annoying so very welcome updates.
  • Reply 33 of 69

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

"What OS do you have?"

"I'm gonna buzz the tower."

Fixed.

• Reply 34 of 69
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member

Looking forward to the future release of "Rancho Cucamonga".

• Reply 35 of 69
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

BTW wasn't Craig's presentation really excellent?  I like the humor and his relaxed demeanor.  He seems to be the rockstar of Keynote presenters.

• Reply 36 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    welshdog wrote: »
    BTW wasn't Craig's presentation really excellent?  I like the humor and his relaxed demeanor.  He seems to be the rockstar of Keynote presenters.

You should check out the keynotes he gave last year during the WWDC week. Really funny, with great slides:
  • Reply 37 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

OS X looks awesome... but the name is absolutely terrible.

Just call it OS X 10.9 then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Was there any mention of hardware requirements?

Said It will be for

iPhone 4 (so 4, 4S, 5 onwards)

5th gen iPod touch, (not previous 3.5" gen's)

iPad 2 onwards (I think)

Ipad mini onwards

• Reply 38 of 69
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The thing with using a series of common names is that it's easier to put them in order. This seems like they will be picking random places or icons in California. They would have run out of cats eventually so they had to come up with something new. One positive is that they can choose things more freely and get nice photography to match. I think abstract names might have worked better such as 10.9 Ocean / Wave / Surf because the association with the imagery is easier internationally but the way they chose, it promotes things in California, which they seem to have wanted.

I can't wait till OS 10.10 Yosemite!

• Reply 39 of 69
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

How is it offensive? Many of the cats that were used for names of prior Mac OS 10 operating systems cannot even be found in the United States, let alone in California. 

I'm offended! /s

• Reply 40 of 69

lolno.

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too

Well… yeah. In 2001, Steve said that Mac OS X was their solution for the next 20 years. We've only had 12 of those.

…so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.

Edumacate yourself. Looks famous to me.

I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

I find the idea of capitalizing on endangered cats offensive.

"But that's ludicrous."

Yeah, I wanted a statement to match his, is all.

How about Mac OS 10.9 Shut Up Idiot Whiners?