Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 201 of 1320
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No, but that wasn't the statement I was replying to. You said you had never heard of a 12 or 16 core CPU, I was just replying that there was.image

You're right, and thanks for the info.

Why are AMD GPU's good enough but not CPU's, it would surely lower the cost by a large margin.

You'd have to ask AMD. The cost would be lowered because they're not good enough! Intel just keeps outstripping them.

• Reply 202 of 1320

New Mac Pro design influence #3.

• Reply 203 of 1320
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Love the possibly very quiet thermal setup and the overall engineering inventiveness.
  • Reply 204 of 1320
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think the first third party product we'll see is a Thunderbolt RAID box that sits underneath and is shaped to match.  That would solve the hard drive issue.  Maybe Blackmagic will come out with a redesigned video capture box to also sit underneath.  I also don't know why they only are using one processor instead of two.

• Reply 205 of 1320

I think this is one of those.... "Well, OK Apple, I kind of get it.........  Well, if you insist......"  Instead of "That's the coolest f-ing thing on the planet, I'll take two."

• Reply 206 of 1320
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Does this mean Apple will be phasing out MiniDisplay in favour of Thunderbolt displays?, so that is another £900 added on.

Yes.  No.

if you have MDP monitor, it will plug into a thunderbolt port.

Google is your friend, especially for those 2 year old pages: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20043524-263.html

• Reply 207 of 1320
    tonyztonyz Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not only about upgrades but PCIe cards as well; capture boards, sound cards, super fast SSD cards, i/o cards, ect. I love creating music, I have a fairly new and very expensive M-Audio Firewire audio interface and one of the best PCIe audio cards they make, the new Mac Pro doesn't have FireWire or card slots so I'm SOL. Fine, I except that, will professional audio studios, I don't know, that's why I'm asking., not being sarcastic.

Exactly. Which is why the hackintosh community flourishes. I love OSX but hate the over priced HW apple tries to drive down our throats.

• Reply 208 of 1320
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you don't like it, you have the choice not to order it. Personally, I think it looks fantastic and is specced up the yin yang.

Another dont-buy-if-its-bad comment. Listen, many Apple users (incl me) are fond of the UI in the OS and the beautiful form of the hardware. This, here is a big letdown. And when one does say it out (memes and above analogies included), all the neo-apple fans here just cry, heckle and abuse the hell out of him. Really primitive exclusivist behavior. Pathetic.

• Reply 209 of 1320

I wondering how many dual XEON processors are actually being utilized rather than GPUs in the majority of workstation class apps.  I'm sure Apple has done some research in that area which is why they opted for 2 GPUs rather than 2 CPUs.

For any SGI fans out there.  do you remember the O2 workstation?  They had two different flavors, one blue/black and the other purple and black.  At least this MacPro isn't as fugly as the SGI OS workstation.  For those that don't know what I'm talking about....   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_O2

It looked more like a stump from some theme park.

• Reply 210 of 1320

Originally Posted by TonyZ View Post

I love OSX but hate the over priced HW apple tries to drive down our throats.

You hate educating yourself, too.

• Reply 211 of 1320
    tonyztonyz Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You hate educating yourself, too.

You apparently are not as you seem to just love and gobble up whatever Apple feeds you.... When the new mac pro comes out I'll be able to build a computer for half as much that performs as good if not better. Like I said before I love OSX and I do pay for it, just not the over priced hardware. Just because it's pretty and round doesn't make it better. 

You should learn to troll better /retard...

• Reply 212 of 1320

When the new mac pro comes out I'll be able to build a computer for half as much that performs as good if not better. 

Talk about stupid. Talk. About. Stupid.

Good luck. In fact, I'll make a bet. WHEN you can't do it, you buy me one of these Mac Pros.

…over priced hardware. 

Like I said, you're deluded beyond belief.

You should learn to troll better /retard...

Oh, you want to go down the insult road, do you? Enjoy your ban.

• Reply 213 of 1320
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    drblank wrote: »
    I wondering how many dual XEON processors are actually being utilized rather than GPUs in the majority of workstation class apps.  I'm sure Apple has done some research in that area which is why they opted for 2 GPUs rather than 2 CPUs.

For any SGI fans out there.  do you remember the O2 workstation?  They had two different flavors, one blue/black and the other purple and black.  At least this MacPro isn't as fugly as the SGI OS workstation.  For those that don't know what I'm talking about....   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_O2

Of course I remember the O2. Together with my MacBook Air, they're the best computers I owned (for different reasons, though: the O2 because of having IRIX on a small form factor, while being able to use up to 1GB of textures in hardware accelerated OpenGL (because of UMA), and I also loved its blue box. I did a lot of very useful stuff with that machine. And the MacBook Air allows me to have almost desktop features with the weight close to an iPad. I also owned more computers, of course, but these two are the best I ever used.

But the new Mac Pro looks promising... It has the potential of becoming my #1 favorite :-)
  • Reply 214 of 1320
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'd have to ask AMD. The cost would be lowered because they're not good enough! Intel just keeps outstripping them.

Oh no doubt Intel makes faster chips . The new AMD Opteron 6380 16 core is an extremely quick chip though. Check this out;

4 x Opteron 6380's 4,184.00

Corsair Vegeance 128GB 1,059.08

Tyran SP5100 motherboard 1,202.48

OCZ Revo 480GB SSD 766.99

2 x Nvidia Quadro K4000 1,598

Nvdia Tesla C2050 1,250.00

5 x Seagate SAS Cheetah 15k 600GB 1,345.00

ISTARUSA BPN-DE350SS Raid enclosure 71.00

Case Xigmatek Elysium 216.00

CoolMaster Silent Pro 1500W 280.00

Total = 11,972.55

2 Intel E5-2690's 4,360.00, do to the 4 x 16, 64 cores, it would actually take 2 Intel Xeon E5-4690's at a whopping 12,260 to match the performance. Well 3 processors but buying 3 would be just nuts.

Crazy huh!

• Reply 215 of 1320

MacPro Server Room:

• Reply 216 of 1320
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by threadbear View Post

MacPro Server Room:

In reality, Mac Pro server rooms will be interesting to watch.

The shelving will be 7" wide, and the machines placed with the back panel facing outward. I imagine the shelves will have to slide out to swap components.

On the other hand, the power supply is internal, which is a significant problem for server farms.

I really did think that the new Pro would have been more rack-friendly, given that the Xserve was discontinued.

• Reply 217 of 1320

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In reality, Mac Pro server rooms will be interesting to watch.... I really did think that the new Pro would have been more rack-friendly, given that the Xserve was discontinued.

I have doubts MacPro server rooms will exist at all: accommodation of vertical airflow, space inefficiency of case, apparent permanently installed expensive graphics cards.

• Reply 218 of 1320

Cables cables everywhere!!! My goodness, look at this workstation. One thunderbolt cable from the Mac Pro behind the monitors to one monitor then daisy chained to the other monitors. Also behind the monitors is a pegasus raid array, a PCIe chassis for audio cards and a DVD burner. Plus we have the wireless keyboard and mouse in front. How messy!!

Who would want the above when you can have the below with everything inside the case!! I hear you can even climb inside the case and work from there since they have a display monitor INSIDE the case!!! C'mon Apple! Try to innovate!!!

• Reply 219 of 1320
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yes absolutely, MIPs R12000 400 MHz, 1 GB Ram, upgraded 6GB HD. Loved the video capture, I converted all of my old VHS movies to DIVX using one. I also had an Indy, Octane and a Fuel, still have the Fuel actually. Big, big fan of SGI workstations, Apple makes good computers but SGI made f*cking epic machines. My husband was installing hardwood floors in our study where I kept my Octane, we temporarily moved everything in there including the computers to the balcony on the second floor. My husband stacked the SGI to high and it tipped over the balcony. There was a small crack and few scratches on the base, nothing else was wrong with it, bullet proof.

• Reply 220 of 1320

Quote:

Exactly. Which is why the hackintosh community flourishes. I love OSX but hate the over priced HW apple tries to drive down our throats.

Flourishes???.......................really?