Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 181 of 1320
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,901member
    With hot air venting off the top, seems to me one can park a coffee cup up there and have it stay warm longer.
  • Reply 182 of 1320
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Plenty of price speculation here, but little mention of the "Made in USA" premium. Unfortunately, while some consumers shout about buying domestic, their money is never where their mouth is when it comes time to compare prices.

As a reminder, OS X still supports disc burner sharing over a local network...

Mike Fix View Post

I think we'd all prefer 24 cores over 12....

Preference and available cash can be very different. This will be expensive enough already.

Plumperton1 View Post

I think there is a big problem with this design. As a video producer and editor, I have 4-5 external hard drives connected at any one time to my laptop. My desk is completely overgrown with power strips, wires, and cables... and the entire physical desk top is taken up with hard drives everywhere. The appeal *to me* of the Mac Pro was all those hard drive bays which would allow me a neat, clean, all-in-one tower with plenty of HDD space inside. This new model will be just as unsightly as a laptop with five devices cabled to it. The new Mac Pro design may look cool in product photos, but it's going to look just as hideous surrounded by a rats nest of cables and wires. This is not going to work for video editors. Fail.

Thunderbolt can daisy-chain. Plus, why are all those external drives on your desk surface? Put 'em on a lower shelf or something. Find a desk with shelves and rear holes for cable management.

JollyPaul View Post

On top of all that, it looks nice once you see it in regular light. Some photos look like black shiny plastic when it really is reflective metal. They need to take better shots.

I interpret that as it being a preview aesthetic, half shrouded in darkness to enhance the mystique. Schiller certainly presented it that way.

Richard Getz View Post

Can you daisy-chaine two of these Mac Pros for more computational power? 

Only through software. I know Compressor 4 can use them as a cluster.

Macky the Macky View Post

rkevwill View Post

I hope some of the supposed experts replying here, understand the expandability of thunderbolt ports. Including, external PCI enclosures, with any PCI device you want to throw in there.

I totally agree with you, but when one bleeds their account for a super computer they'd like to have more to show for it than a liter-sized can of Monster.

A big box stuffed with fans and LEDs remains the standard, unfortunately.

broadbean View Post

Is this the "My Ass" model?

Would've loved to hear it from Jony.

"My arse"

DarenDino View Post

Does this mean Apple will be phasing out MiniDisplay in favour of Thunderbolt displays?, so that is another £900 added on.

Not necessarily. Thunderbolt to DVI adapter is $29, and as more manufacturers make TB displays, they will be cheaper.

• Reply 183 of 1320
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I want one. Nuff said.
  • Reply 184 of 1320
    A giant Mac Mini. Expandability not optional. Take it or leave it.

Not easy to stack next to each other on a shelf. No options to change video cards. This is the Apple way, I guess.

Thunderbolt can let you daisy chain external video cards and hard drives, so I guess nothing is lost in that sense (other than the money in your wallet).

No DIY allowed in the Apple world. No mods.
  • Reply 185 of 1320
    The article's vague because its author thinks Ethernet is FireWire 800. :lol:

This proves that Apple has done 100% the right thing.

GUESS WHAT THE CYLINDER CAN DO, KIDDO.

That's so effing stupid.

Pros want a lot of cores. Multiple processors are just a means to that end. You'd know that if you actually knew anything.

Also? There are no single-chip processors with 12 cores from any manufacturer. Not that I can find, anyway. Not Sandy, Ivy, or Haswell.

Yeah, they could have made it a worthless update that didn't actually innovate anything and for which they would have been mocked and derided because it was "late".

Instead they punched people like you in the metaphorical face and told you to shut up. This is the future. Deal with it.

I registered just to tell you that you are one of the most annoying, paranoid fanboys I have ever encountered.
  • Reply 186 of 1320
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Over on CGTalk, someone mentioned that the CPU & GPU cards seemed to be just that, cards… As in, connected to a backplane and from there the main logic board. Wondering about BTO configurations if this is true…

Single CPU, dual GPUs…

Dual CPUs, single GPU…

Single CPU, single GPU, dual 2.5" SSDs…

No matter the configuration, the boot flash is still in its socket on the GPU card, and if you look at some of the pics out there, you can see the pads where a second SSD Flash could be installed on the second GPU card…

And if Apple will do such a BTO, then they could also have consumer grade CPU cards, and consumer grade GPU cards…

Maybe a quad-core Haswell i7 CPU card (with 16GB RAM), nVidia Geforce GFX 700 series GPU card & dual SSD card with only a single SSD populated (and NO SSD Flash boot drive on the GPU card); giving us the mythical xMac…!!! Shipping by Christmas time, US$1,500.00…!!!

• Reply 187 of 1320
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

No PCIe means no pro audio users. It's going to be expensive and having to add an external thunderbolt chassis for soundcards will be both bulky and prohibitively expensive.

Which cards are you thinking of?

The Avid/Pro Tools Native interface is now available as a Thunderbolt device, but HDX isn't. That means that Mac is no longer compatible with the top-of-the-line industry standard in audio workstations.

The Apogee Symphony isn't an option, since it also uses a card as the connection point.

Other than those and a few RME devices though, everything else I can think of is either USB or Firewire. What else requires a PCIe slot?

• Reply 188 of 1320
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

As a professional, I tend to agree with those saying major upgrades after the purchase are a thing of the past.  The only thing people tend to update are RAM and Storage.  Both can be done here through various means.  

Thunderbolt 2 has theoretical speeds of 20Gb/s. That makes external GPUs a real possibility.  That's faster than PCIe version 3 and close to version 4.  Audio capabilities have been expanded externally for years.  

I'm not saying this will definitely sell well, but it appears to be a calculated and risk.  Drastic change alway inspires naysayers.  Many mocked the Macbook Airs at first too.

• Reply 189 of 1320
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by notstayinglong View Post

I registered just to tell you that you are one of the most annoying, paranoid fanboys I have ever encountered.

You're on a Apple blog.  So, yeah, here there be "fanboys".

• Reply 190 of 1320
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

On the one hand, I think the design of this is fantastic and can see how this is going to sell pretty well. However.....

No PCIe means no pro audio users. It's going to be expensive and having to add an external thunderbolt chassis for soundcards will be both bulky and prohibitively expensive.

It'll be great for certain video professionals, but seeing as nothing seems to be user upgradeable on this machine will really make it a nonstarter for a lot of folks. Not being able to upgrade the video card, no PCIe and no Firewire are all big minuses for video pros.

Single processor also seems like a huge step back for most serious professionals.

RAM and SSDs both appear to be soldered on, as well. I understand that Apple would rather everyone replace their machines every 4 years instead of just upgrading and squeezing out 8 years (a lot of studios got over 8+ years out of their Mac Pro workstations), but I think at the high end, this will only be a turnoff for a lot of users, though I'm sure apple won't miss the niche market they represent in return for "prosumer" types who will probably put this in their living rooms to play MP3s, Aperture slideshows and Steam games.

People on Gearslutz and TapeOp forums have been predicting a Mac-Mini type concept for the New Mac Pro for about 2 years as a worst-case scenario, and as impressive as the design of this machine is, it basically fulfills that prediction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Which cards are you thinking of?

The Avid/Pro Tools Native interface is now available as a Thunderbolt device, but HDX isn't. That means that Mac is no longer compatible with the top-of-the-line industry standard in audio workstations.

The Apogee Symphony isn't an option, since it also uses a card as the connection point.

Other than those and a few RME devices though, everything else I can think of is either USB or Firewire. What else requires a PCIe slot?

Anything that uses a PCIe card should be able to use that same card in a ThunderBolt expansion chassis. As to it 'being bulkier', it is still less bulk than the outgoing Mac Pro chassis.

The new Mac Pro is a professional workstation, distilled down to the bare requirements; CPU, GPU, RAM & boot volume… Everything else is just a cable connection away…

• Reply 191 of 1320

(double post)

• Reply 192 of 1320

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

You're on a Apple blog.  So, yeah, here there be "fanboys".

Obviously, we are all here because we are interested in the Mac. That's not the same as behaving like a five-year-old and insulting those with different opinions.

(I registered just to say that.)

• Reply 193 of 1320

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not only about upgrades but PCIe cards as well; capture boards, sound cards, super fast SSD cards, i/o cards, ect. I love creating music, I have a fairly new and very expensive M-Audio Firewire audio interface and one of the best PCIe audio cards they make, the new Mac Pro doesn't have FireWire or card slots so I'm SOL. Fine, I except that, will professional audio studios, I don't know, that's why I'm asking., not being sarcastic.

Firewire is solved with a simple Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adaptor so I'm not too worried about that.

Blackmagic Design makes a stand-alone Thunderbolt device that's a reasonable equivalent to the HD-SDI video I/O card we're using now, and it's inexpensive so that's no big deal either.

I think we retired our last audio card somewhere around ten years ago. There are tonnes of inexpensive USB audio I/O solutions that will replace that M-Audio card without hurting your wallet. Even inexpensive small mixers provide USB audio to/from the computer now.

The only audio market affected by the new Mac Pro is the top end which so far is still only available in PCIe (Pro Tools HDX).

But really, this machine is insane overkill for all but the most demanding music production scenarios. A mini or even an iMac with some fast external storage is all you need.

• Reply 194 of 1320

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

[...] Many mocked the Macbook Airs at first too.

Not just "at first!" I still do!

But seriously, I want an 11" Air just to use it as an iPod MAX. It'd be great for that. Just not as an actual computer. image

• Reply 195 of 1320

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Anything that uses a PCIe card should be able to use that same card in a ThunderBolt expansion chassis.

So, add $1000 to the price of the computer if you use Pro Tools. Unless the Tube is $1000 cheaper than the old model, this is not an excellent value proposition.

I'm okay with using outboard boxes instead of cards, I just don't wanna devote a quarter of the equipment budget to kludges. For this to work, device manufacturers need to board the Thunderbolt bus quicksoon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

As to it 'being bulkier', it is still less bulk than the outgoing Mac Pro chassis.

True, and I'd accept that. HOWEVER, that hulking mass of Big Mac sits under the desk with pretty much everything inside it. The Tube+Magma format ties up space ON the desk that could otherwise be used for keyboards and mice and trackpads and control surfaces and coffee cups and lamps and phones and scripts and pens and notepads and water bottles and monitor controllers and routing switchers and monitors and that sorta porcelain-looking thing with the filmy green stuff caked on the bottom that nobody can identify and nobody knows whose it is.

It's not a deal-breaker but it IS less convenient.

• Reply 196 of 1320
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,401moderator
    mike fix wrote: »
    I think we'd all prefer 24 cores over 12....

Apple is clearly focusing on GPU power now. GPU power has moved faster than CPU. You can see this with iOS devices where the GPU goes up 2x, 4x in a single generation. There's a suite of OpenCL compute tests at the following site and you can see in the top devices, the FirePro is 2nd behind the 7970:

http://clbenchmark.com

and the new Mac Pro has two of them. They don't have the high-end Xeons on that site for comparison there but they do have the i7-4770K, which is the fastest Ivy Bridge desktop:

http://clbenchmark.com/device-info.jsp?config=15525698

The Xeon configs would only be 3x that and you can see that even multiplying by 3 isn't close to a single FirePro let alone two:

http://clbenchmark.com/device-info.jsp?config=12763555&test=CLB10101

You can see the difference for really intensive computation here:

[VIDEO]

The old Mac Pro couldn't easily handle two high-end GPUs internally. This design basically says that you get more compute value out of a second GPU than a second CPU. This won't be true for standard programs but all computationally intensive software should use some form of OpenCL computation and they are moving this way because OpenCL runs on the CPU too.
    cia wrote:
    Housing 4k video takes a lot of space, and buying that space at current thunderbolt prices will add $1-$2,000 more dollars to a price we already know will be high.

USB 3 is cheap.
    broadbean wrote:
    Wonder if Thunderbolt 2 is delaying it.

Ivy Bridge Xeon at least but it could well be that Thunderbolt 2 is holding back most of the other upgrades. The Macbook Air isn't so important for Thunderbolt 2.
    superbass wrote:
    No PCIe means no pro audio users.

Thunderbolt is a form of PCIe. This guy with his 13" MBP doesn't seem to have heard you (probably playing his music too loud):

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

He scribbled all over the back of it though (2:00):

[VIDEO]

Vandal.
    darendino wrote:
    Does this mean Apple will be phasing out MiniDisplay in favour of Thunderbolt displays?, so that is another £900 added on.

You can plug whatever you want in. Thunderbolt combines Displayport and PCIe. There's also an HDMI port for very cheap displays.
  • Reply 197 of 1320
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Btw, I just read a new headline at AI telling the new MBA also has PCIe flash storage. This might mean the flash storage in the new Mac Pro will perhaps not be as expensive as I was fearing...

• Reply 198 of 1320

I really like this black R2D2!

The cooling system with the thermal core is amazing.

Unfortunately it will be too much expensive here in Brazil. :(

• Reply 199 of 1320
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

You do not get it.

No, I get it perfectly. I have always gotten it. You have never gotten it. You do not get it now. You will never get it. And you will never get one.

THIS NEW MAC PRO PROVES THERE WILL NEVER BE AN XMAC. SHUT UP ABOUT THE XMAC. 

Originally Posted by Plumperton1 View Post

This is not going to work for video editors. Fail.

Thanks for proving it's exactly what you guys need.

Originally Posted by nht View Post

If it starts at $1800 it should do really well if it comes with a half decent GPU.  Doesn't have to be awesome but half decent.  Say a GTX 775M or equivalent with 2GB RAM.

But

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

…I guess it is they cost a whole lot more? They said it dropped it tower design, well I still consider this design a type of tower, do you?

I can't imagine it "costing more" to support iOS on older models. And yeah, this is certainly a tower, though we'll have to come up with a new subcategory name for it.

Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

How I picture mstone:

It'd be perfect if he was against iCloud or something.

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

There are indeed 12-core processors.

So no source then? Thanks¡

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

My thoughts is that when you have to bring in a computer for servicing, it's rarely the actual monitor.  So if they had a slightly larger (wider) version of the MacMini with the guts of an iMac, then you would only need to bring in the base unit and leave your monitor at home.  Much easier to transport.

But what does it matter? When you bring your computer in, it's not like you can do anything with your monitor left behind anyway!

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

I don't see anyone (except you) specifying Xeons.

Then maybe go to Apple.com?

This seems to be a problem EVERY time there's a new product release. People whine about stuff and spread lies that wouldn't even cross their minds if they'd just GO TO APPLE'S WEBSITE.

Originally Posted by r1sko View Post

Actually, Phill Schiller states in the keynote that Thunderbolt-2 ports are backwards compatible to Firewire....

Of course, just like regular Thunderbolt. With an adapter. 

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Not x86 based, but Tilera has some monster multicore chips.

Why have I never heard of these guys?

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually AMD does, they even have a new 16 core CPU.

Do you really think Apple would go AMD?

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Apple should have built this as a dual processor box.

Sure they should have. 24 virtual cores aren't enough; you "deserve" 48…

Originally Posted by noseman View Post

I am curious to see how the new MacPro will be greeted when it's released.

Aren't you seeing that now?

…even though I've been a mac user since 1985…

No one cares.

…if Apple had announced an identically designed MacPro as the previous model, with more recent hardware (PCIe, faster ram, SSD HD, more Thunderbolt ports e.t.c.) and 2x12core Xeons (whenever they're available), that would have made EVERYONE happy.

It would have made no one happy. Why would you think it would make anyone happy?

Why "innovate" so much for a target audience that just needs more speed and more storage.

See, that's your problem. That's what you haven't understood about Apple after all these years, which means you just don't understand Apple in the first place. You're actually still asking "Why innovate". That's just depressing.

…why do it SOOO "innovative"?

Try looking at the product.

You can innovate quite a bit without pushing professionals outside their comfort zone.

"You can innovate without pushing outside a comfort zone" are you flipping SERIOUS?!

Anyway, I like the design, but I would like a few more options as well.

This is the only option you get.

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

so much for sneaking this in to replace my mac pro without my wife noticing?!?

Just gut your old model and set two of these inside it. image

• Reply 200 of 1320
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you really think Apple would go AMD?

No, but that wasn't the statement I was replying to. You said you had never heard of a 12 or 16 core CPU, I was just replying that there was.image Why are AMD GPU's good enough but not CPU's, it would surely lower the cost by a large margin.