A wiser Siri snubs Google for Bing in Apple's upcoming iOS 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    "His voice actor's still alive (though probably not in a condition to give up the accurate set of phonemes necessary)..."

He lives in my neighbourhood!
    And will not talk about HAL. Ever.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It stood out like a sore thumb when he said "Bing" didn't it? In another part of the keynote, in the consumer satisfaction rankings, one of their charts showed MS phone owners as more satisfied than Android phone owners. Apple is clearly getting together with their old frenemy MS to put a dent in Google.
  • Reply 23 of 66

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 24 of 66
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Bing's not half bad.  I switched a month or two ago from Google and I rarely find myself needing to go back to Google to find something.  I can only think of one thing and that's if I want to find a Wikipedia article on something.  Google tends to put a Wikipedia link high in it's search results and Bing doesn't so you have to add the word "wikipedia" into your search if you want to have that show up at the top.  Other then that one minor thing Bing has been perfectly adequate for my searching needs. 

As an aside, it's waaaay easier to find adult content with Bing as Google results are constantly getting censored due to DMCA takedown notices.  Or at least that's what a friend told me....   I wouldn't know as I never go looking for adult content....

• Reply 25 of 66
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    After seeing a few different Siri vs Google Voice Search "face offs", and noting that in most of them, Siri seemed to always take longer or return 'weaker' results, I wondered if Google wasn't intentionally deprecating Siri-driven search requests. It would always make Google/Android look better if they slightly delayed or 'dumbed down' the results returned to Siri-driven searches. "See how much more efficient Android is?" one could posit%u2026

Perhaps this is part of why Apple is relying less on them. They are intentionally trying to make Apple tech look the lesser?

It may make sense for Apple to launch their own search engine one day. It's not like they don't have the resources to pull that off.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I hate youtube, but there is no real widely used viable alternative. 

Check out Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com). A fine alternative, and one which I spend increasingly more time with. I'm done with YouTube since the introduction of the force-fed ads (I especially hate the 5-second "skip this ad" imposition) on almost every video.

• Reply 27 of 66
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I have been using Bing more and more even though I am certainly not a Microsoft fan. Lately I have had problems finding things with Google. Page after page of results that have the keywords, but not what I am looking for. Of course there are Ads at the top and the bottom and those are not even right either. I take the same keywords to Bing and find some excellent hits. Seems like Bing is using a little better logic on keyword grouping or something. It is time to switch my browsers default search. Guess it can be switched back if it isn't cutting it.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I use Bing on my Windows 8 tablet, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet II, it's just okay. I still prefer Google overall though, especially when I need answers about a programming problem. I understand Apples position about Google, I'm hoping Apple will start their own search engine.

• Reply 29 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotstorm View Post

"His voice actor's still alive (though probably not in a condition to give up the accurate set of phonemes necessary)..."

He lives in my neighbourhood!

And will not talk about HAL. Ever.

Interesting that some actors so completely shun a role that the public adores and others embrace the adoration. One person who learned to embrace the popularity of his character, I believe, after shunning it and the fans for many years, was... da da - William Shatner. He once told fans 'to get a life'. I doubt that he would respond that way today. I too would have Douglas Rain's voice in an instant.

(Welcome to AI.)

• Reply 30 of 66
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Check out Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com). A fine alternative, and one which I spend increasingly more time with. I'm done with YouTube since the introduction of the force-fed ads (I especially hate the 5-second "skip this ad" imposition) on almost every video.

Well, it seems you'll also have ads with iTunes Radio

• Reply 31 of 66
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member
    I've never been a Microsoft fan but I'll give credit where it's due... I love Bing. I quit using Google months ago and never looked back. I'm also impressed with the Xbox One. I haven't played with the new Windows or Windows Phones yet but I like what I've seen.

That said, I think a lot is being made over this supposed snub that I didn't really see. Google was still mentioned and used several times, even in the Siri screenshot of "Questions you can ask me". Chrome was used instead of IE. it seems to me that Apple is diversifying their partnerships rather than snubbing any particular one. Same applies to Samsung as a supplier.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

I'm down with this.  When I kick off with a search from siri, im not really trying to do a nerdy search anyway.  Bing excels in "soft search" like shopping, twitter, etc.  Good fit.

If I need to include research docs and whatnot, for some reason google finds stuff better.

• Reply 33 of 66

There's a reason why Google is the #1 search engine.. Bing sucks. Hopefully I can set google to be my default search

• Reply 34 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm thinking Apple will soon buy Yahoo, which is the search engine "Bing" uses and this is just a half-step on the way there.

It's the opposite, Yahoo uses Bing for results. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has tried to buy Bing from Microsoft, but since Microsoft is integrating Bing everywhere into their products, a sale is so unlikely as to be an impossibility.

• Reply 35 of 66
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I have been using Bing more and more even though I am certainly not a Microsoft fan. Lately I have had problems finding things with Google. Page after page of results that have the keywords, but not what I am looking for. Of course there are Ads at the top and the bottom and those are not even right either. I take the same keywords to Bing and find some excellent hits. Seems like Bing is using a little better logic on keyword grouping or something. It is time to switch my browsers default search. Guess it can be switched back if it isn't cutting it.

I use Bing all the time and it works great. Microsoft even has a take the Bing challenge where it puts Bing against Google. Bing also gives you points for using it that can be redeemed for things like Starbucks.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    steelraven wrote: »
    There's a reason why Google is the #1 search engine.. Bing sucks. Hopefully I can set google to be my default search

Or maybe it is because Google is set as the default on everything. That is how Windows and Explorer received their dominance. Maybe it is because Google is just what people are used to.

Google's voice search is better on ios then Bing, but Bings result are just as good and the presentation often times better.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    6ryph3n wrote: »
    I've never been a Microsoft fan but I'll give credit where it's due... I love Bing. I quit using Google months ago and never looked back. I'm also impressed with the Xbox One. I haven't played with the new Windows or Windows Phones yet but I like what I've seen.

That said, I think a lot is being made over this supposed snub that I didn't really see. Google was still mentioned and used several times, even in the Siri screenshot of "Questions you can ask me". Chrome was used instead of IE. it seems to me that Apple is diversifying their partnerships rather than snubbing any particular one. Same applies to Samsung as a supplier.

Bing is great, but the Xbox One is a disappointment. Unlike the PS4 it costs $100 more, is less powerful, decides whether you can play used games or not, requires your system to check in every 24 hours, and makes it a hassle to play games at a friend home. Sony got it right this time.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    blitz1 wrote: »

No ads if you subscribe to iTunes Match, which is well worth it on it's own!
  • Reply 39 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    blitz1 wrote: »

Unless you have iTunes Match.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    tbell wrote: »
    Or maybe it is because Google is set as the default on everything. That is how Windows and Explorer received their dominance. Maybe it is because Google is just what people are used to.

Google's voice search is better on ios then Bing, but Bings result are just as good and the presentation often times better.

I agree. Google has become synonymous with search. It takes a lot for people to change what they are used to.