iOS 7 beta: FaceTime Audio brings built-in VoIP, free long distance calling to iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    freerange wrote: »
    Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.

Hey, you are off topic from the pissing contests of this thread and asking a tech related question. You'll be banned! /s

It is a good question why not 'conference' calls ... Dare I say ala google hang outs? From what I can tell it is fairly popular. Perhaps in IOS 8 and OSXI 'Sierra'(guess)
  • Reply 62 of 96
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Have no idea what the point you're trying to make is.

FaceTime Audio is a silly name, that's it.

With a bit more foresight and sensibility Apple could have had a family of co-branded messaging apps.

TextTime - for messaging, instead of iMessage/Messages

TalkTime - for voicecalls, instead of FaceTime Audio

FaceTime - for video calls

Alternatively, taking the iMesasage lead

iMessage

iTalk

iFace (hmm, maybe not)

That's building positive brand recognition.  It's good business sense, and makes sense and helps users out with understanding stuff.  FaceTime Audio is rubbish, there's no f-ing face involved!

I agree that with your thought that a name does imply brand recognition.  However, socially it's forgotten as soon as it's recognized.

Perhaps in London people may say "I'll send you an iMessage"  However with four years of social psychology behind me, it usually gets broken down to the most immediate and recognizable thought.  In my area it's "I'll text ya".  Whether it's grammatically correct or not.

So the naming convention doesn't work in your respect.  ...at least socially.  Perhaps in a perfect world.

• Reply 63 of 96
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

This does have the confusing add-on branding of Microsoft products and US television content ratings (TV Y, TV Y7, TV Y7 FV (fantasy violence), etc).

If we are renaming, my vote is for EarTime or VoiceTime. Since the built-in Camera app now has filters, let's give EarTime vocal filters! Darth Vader or T-Pain?

Tallest Skil View Post

Do I really need a link to where it says FaceTime wasn't allowed over 3G? There's such a thing as common knowledge.

Never assume.

Never assume that any random internet stranger has the same knowledge base as you, and never assume it's because they are just plain stupid. People have different areas of expertise. Posting supporting links solves both those issues, and is much less dismissive than your typical "Shut up and go away" comments.

The point of debate is not to win, but for both parties to walk away with more knowledge than before.

lightknight View Post

Facetime still freezes after 5 minutes to my Mom's iMac from whatever else (Snow Leopard contre iPad/iPad Mini/iPhone 4/iPhone 5/Mountain Lion/Lion). Thread at Apple Forums is long like (insert supermodel's name)'s legs. Apple no does anything.

Have you checked the router or modem? We can blast Apple for making Facetime use TCP instead of UDP, but like getting studio headphones and hearing how bad compressed audio sounds, you're only witnessing network equipment that can't sustain an uninterrupted data stream.

FreeRange View Post

Apple, please bring back multiple video access from iChat to FaceTime. Why in the world did you cripple the service. And also bring back the ability to show desktop and keynotes with the multiple video feeds.

I'm guessing few people used the multiple video access. In contrast to Google, Apple tends to eschew cool-looking technology and focus on what people are actually using.

Viewing desktops and keynotes was probably dropped to make Facetime work on mobile. This is only my speculation, of course; it doesn't make the loss any less inconvenient. I had to go back to TeamViewer for remote screen sharing and tech support.

• Reply 64 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Paul Miller will lose his mind.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I agree that with your thought that a name does imply brand recognition.  However, socially it's forgotten as soon as it's recognized.

Perhaps in London people may say "I'll send you an iMessage"  However with four years of social psychology behind me, it usually gets broken down to the most immediate and recognizable thought.  In my area it's "I'll text ya".  Whether it's grammatically correct or not.

So the naming convention doesn't work in your respect.  ...at least socially.  Perhaps in a perfect world.

Ok, fair enough, but that's no reason to ignore naming altogether.  People might not use the names of Apple protocols in casual conversation, but I'd guess that anyone who uses FaceTime does know what it is and what it's called.  Something doesn't have to be spoken aloud regularly to have an impact; it's called mind-share, not speech-share, and good naming and branding recognition plays a part there.

P.S. I'm not that keen on FaceTime as a name either, has the taint of a corporate-cool buzzword.  Leave my face out of it.

• Reply 66 of 96
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by prokip View Post

About friggin time.

Was it so hard ?

I've been mentioning this ever since Google Voice released an app on the App Store.  The only thing this Facetime Audio is missing is the ability to call any phone number.  Then it would be exactly like Skype or Google Voice.  My guess is Apple is slowly releasing more and more features like this (that tread in the Telephony features that Carriers rake us over the coals with huge price-tag plans) so that the Carriers don't just pull the plug on Apple completely.  The only thing iMessage is missing the that ability to message non-iOS phone number and other IM services, much like the OS X app does.  I'm kind of shocked that the Carriers haven't baulked at services like Google Voice and Skype since they clearly tread in muddy waters with them.  No news of ATT throttling Android phone because of Google voice or Skype on Windows Phones.  Interesting times for Cellphone communications.  I can't wait for the carriers to become "DUMB PIPES".

• Reply 67 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    vorsos wrote: »
    Posting supporting links solves both those issues, and is much less dismissive than your typical "Shut up and go away" comments.

You realize I only do that to trolls, right?

I forget what actual people know because I assume they remember it, because I can, because I can't anything else.

Complete aside: Huddler doesn't support Safari 7 yet, so I guess I'm stuck with BBCode until they get themselves a copy of Mavericks... Hoo boy.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Isn't this what Skype offers for years

Ah no, Skype isn't limited to 1 platform

I wonder how bad the echo is at Ft. Meade if someone makes a Skype call in front of their XBox One Kinect...

• Reply 69 of 96
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

That's treating the symptom. The cause is ignorance, treated with supporting information. Do that and no one sinks to their level.

• Reply 70 of 96
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

TS, you really hate to admit when you are wrong. I am done with this discussion. I think it is pretty clear that you boxed yourself in a corner and tried your best to pretend that you meant only AT&T when in fact you thought all carriers had limited it.

Actually until iOS 6, Apple was the one that didn't allow FaceTime over 3G not the carriers. Apple require wifi in iOS 5. Once iOS 6 arrived Sprint and Verizon had no problem allowing Facetime over 3G. T-Mobile allowed it from the start and now AT&T also allow it on most if not all plans which means your entire argument was wrong. 

http://lifehacker.com/5944597/can-i-use-facetime-over-3g4g

• Reply 71 of 96
    gwmac wrote: »
    I think it is pretty clear that you boxed yourself in a corner and tried your best to pretend that you meant only AT&T when in fact you thought all carriers had limited it.

No, not really. But you're known for just making crap up about what people say, so I'm not surprised nor offended that you want to pretend this. Third time we've been over this: my posts were future tense for the plural and past tense for the singular. My postulation was that the carriers would prevent FaceTime Audio calls over their networks. My reason for believing this was their earlier prevention of FaceTime calls over their networks. That they now allow FaceTime calls over their networks shows only the progression taken from the original status of FaceTime and is not in itself able to be used as proof for FaceTime Audio over networks at launch, particularly since they're different beasts. FaceTime Audio directly competes with a service provided by the telecoms, and it is part of the shipping software of the manufacturer's device. Skype Video over networks was always allowed, regardless of OS or telecom, but FaceTime was not. Therefore we cannot say that FaceTime Audio will be immediately allowed.
    Apple require wifi in iOS 5.

Which apparently proves that not only did AT&T restrict FaceTime to Wi-Fi on ALL of its plans, but Verizon did so, too. Confirmation. So you were wrong about both of those things.
    ...which means your entire argument was wrong.

Not if you'd actually read my entire argument. But, as previously stated, you're known for not doing that.
  • Reply 72 of 96

FaceTime Audio? Yawn.

Can't believe that there's much mudslinging over such a fairly trivial feature/update.

• Reply 73 of 96
    FaceTime Audio? Yawn.

Can't believe that there's much mudslinging over such a fairly trivial feature/update.

Native VoIP calls to any Mac or iDevice is trivial?
  • Reply 74 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not really. But you're known for just making crap up about what people say, so I'm not surprised nor offended that you want to pretend this. Third time we've been over this: my posts were future tense for the plural and past tense for the singular. My postulation was that the carriers would prevent FaceTime Audio calls over their networks. My reason for believing this was their earlier prevention of FaceTime calls over their networks. That they now allow FaceTime calls over their networks shows only the progression taken from the original status of FaceTime and is not in itself able to be used as proof for FaceTime Audio over networks at launch, particularly since they're different beasts. FaceTime Audio directly competes with a service provided by the telecoms, and it is part of the shipping software of the manufacturer's device. Skype Video over networks was always allowed, regardless of OS or telecom, but FaceTime was not. Therefore we cannot say that FaceTime Audio will be immediately allowed.

Which apparently proves that not only did AT&T restrict FaceTime to Wi-Fi on ALL of its plans, but Verizon did so, too. Confirmation. So you were wrong about both of those things.

Not if you'd actually read my entire argument. But, as previously stated, you're known for not doing that.

Are you actually trying to be serious with that weak and very outdated link? Pathetic

Try these instead

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57511855-94/verizon-wireless-to-include-facetime-on-all-data-plans/

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/18/sprint-wont-charge-iphone-and-ipad-users-for-facetime/

Explain to me exactly how Verizon or any other carrier could have enabled facetime in iOS 5 when that option didn't exist? That was a decision solely by Apple and had absolutely nothing to do with carrier restrictions.Apple didn't feel facetime was ready in iOS 5 for whatever reasons but added this in iOS6 as a vaunted feature.  As soon as iOS 6 launched which allowed facetime over 3G, Verizon and Sprint allowed it. AT&T hemmed and hawed and allowed it some plans but not others but finally relented and allowed it on most if not all their  plans now. I fact there was an article here on AI not long ago about AT&T relenting on even these older plans.

So you historical evidence was rubbish. As soon as facetime over 3G was a feature added by Apple it was allowed free of charge and without restrictions by the vast majority of consumers with the exception of some unlimited grandfather AT&T plans. Since I have been using FaceTime on my iPhone with 3G since iOS 6 was first released I didn't really see the need to provide links but I guess common knowledge or common sense can not be taken for granted. 

• Reply 75 of 96
    gwmac wrote: »
    Try these instead

Yeah, I couldn't give a flying frick about what 2012 has to say, but again, if you'd read anything I'd written you'd know that.
  • Reply 76 of 96

Quote:

Yeah, I couldn't give a flying frick about what 2012 has to say, but again, if you'd read anything I'd written you'd know that.

But you do care about posting a link to an unsubstantiated rumor from Maclife where someone supposedly spoke to a Verizon employee and was told Facetime over 3g would not be supported that was later proved to be 100% wrong! You should care what 2012 said since that is when Apple first allowed facetime to operate over 3G. Discussions about prior years was pointless since that option didn't exist in iOS 5 without a hack or jailbroken phone. 

I have an iPhone on Sprint and was able to use FaceTime from day 1 when Apple allowed this feature in iOS 6 when I had a 4S and now on my iPhone 5. I also have facetime chats over 3G with friends and family on Verizon and other carriers all over the world over both 3G and LTE. Since you don't have an iPhone nor a contract with one the big 4 carriers you have to depend on word of mouth or bad information from the internet otherwise you wouldn't have embarassed yourself to such a degree by continuing to stand by your lie. 

Anyone here with an iPhone can tell you that it works on 3G and has done so from day 1 since it was first supported by Apple with iOS 6. I have never seen such an about face and trying to twist your words to pretend that is not what you meant. There is no loop hole this time, you were wrong plain and simple. Instead of just admitting that you chose to backslide and try and distort what you said. 

• Reply 77 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I wouldn't bother gwmac, everyone understands your point and that you're right; even TS knows he's wrong, this is just what he does.

Quote:

You realize I only do that to troll, right?

• Reply 78 of 96
    crowley wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother gwmac, everyone understands your point and that you're right; even TS knows he's wrong, this is just what he does.

Edit my posts again and you'll have action taken against you.

Also, open your eyes.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    xdhd350xdhd350 Posts: 5member

Facetime can already do audio only calls. You just press the home button after you initiate the ringing process. On the Mac, you minimize the app to the dock. I use this method routinely with a couple friends of mine. Yes, it's an extra button to press, but many people are acting like you have to have the camera on during FT calls which isn't true.

Just sayin...

Greg

• Reply 80 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nagromme wrote: »
    A little masking tape gets audio FaceTime working today.

LOL