BMW shuns Apple's 'iOS in the Car' to stick with its own technology [u]

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

BMWs spend so much time in the shop, it's not like anyone would get much chance to enjoy this anyway.  image

• Reply 142 of 164
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    This whole discussion seems to hinge on what you have a car for. If you see it as a way to get from A to B, having luxuries like a nice electronics system will likely matter.

If you are interested in the driving experience, you will not care as much.

The electronics (specifically nav system) in my Porsche is absolutely dreadful. A UI so bad that I assume it was designed by a monkey. However, the car is so much fun that I just couldn't care less.
  • Reply 143 of 164
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Have you seen what car interfaces look like?  If the UI was much better and standardized, there would be no reason to retrain.  I don't use an Android phone, but if I picked one up, I would know how to get around in it.  It's all about user experience.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Those interfaces look oddly similar to what cell phone makers were peddling before the iphone came out. 

• Reply 144 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

This is so funny.  When people complain about prices of Macs compared to PCs, the Mac defenders always use some sort of BMW vs. Ford comparison to justify the Mac's higher price.  Now these same Mac defenders are trashing BMW!

yes, but isn't that is what makes these threads such an entertaining hoot?

• Reply 145 of 164
    messelemessele Posts: 5member

Yeah I know it's the British survey, but where Britain tends to change direction the world eventually follows...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/jaguar-tops-jd-power-satisfaction-survey-2013

Seriously, no offence guys but I am going to instantly dismiss any American's opinion on what constitutes a good car simply because...well because of American cars. German cars are designed to ween Americans off of dreadful Chevrolets, Buicks etc. and are, frankly, hideous but you don't know it yet.

Plus anybody who uses the term "Ultimate Driving Machine" should be taken outside and shot in front of the marketing geniuses who sold them the lie that 50:50 is the ideal weight distribution and they bought it without question.

• Reply 146 of 164
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totems View Post

Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Australian car, puts any German car to shame. Absolute weapon

I needed a good laugh after plowing through this thread - thanks.

• Reply 147 of 164
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    patpatpat wrote: »

For the most popular 3 series, the NAV/UI is an expensive option that many forego.
    And you know this from which survey/study?
  • Reply 148 of 164
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    What's amazing is BMW's electronics have been a disaster for years. Advanced yes but user friendly no. We're on our 6th BMW in 13 years. Every model is different. The interface, getting BMW interface cables to work, format of flash cards for audio, USB port capability, BT functionality, etc, etc, etc.

• Reply 149 of 164
    Audi would be much more interesting. But since this is only a software-update, it might even come to already sold cars%u2026?
  • Reply 150 of 164
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

From talking to the many BMW service technicians in our local BMW Car club chapter. Every BMW goes through dealer service (free 4yr/50k all inclusive service for all new BMW's) at least a couple of times in the first few years. So believe me these guys would know.

• Reply 151 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Also if horses mouth is not satisfying enough, search carmax for used BMW's 2008 or greater. Less than half have navigation.

Narrow the search down to just the most popular 3-series and less than 1/3 have navigation.

Broaden it even more to 3-series produced after 2007 when iDrive was introduced (in 3 series) and the ratio is more like 1/4

• Reply 152 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by messele View Post

Yeah I know it's the British survey, but where Britain tends to change direction the world eventually follows...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/jaguar-tops-jd-power-satisfaction-survey-2013

Seriously, no offence guys but I am going to instantly dismiss any American's opinion on what constitutes a good car simply because...well because of American cars. German cars are designed to ween Americans off of dreadful Chevrolets, Buicks etc. and are, frankly, hideous but you don't know it yet.

Plus anybody who uses the term "Ultimate Driving Machine" should be taken outside and shot in front of the marketing geniuses who sold them the lie that 50:50 is the ideal weight distribution and they bought it without question.

Here's another "British survey" on Jaguars.

:-)

• Reply 153 of 164

Quote:

For a guy so passionate about ideal weight distribution the BMW 50:50 is a lot more ideal than for example the Jaguar XKR-2's 53.4/46.6.  I'd say at least BMW is going the right direction.   50:50 is actually pretty difficult to achieve in a front engined RWD vehicle. Heading <50 / >50 in weight distribution is a serious safety issue in street cars, this distribution introduces significant oversteer.

• Reply 154 of 164

Quote:

...well because of American cars. German cars are designed to ween Americans off of dreadful ...

Perhaps you people ween off things in Britain, but in the US we tend to wean ....

• Reply 155 of 164
    Why would the want iOS? They want to control their own systems, you can't blame them for that. Not only that, they're the number #1 luxury car selling company in America even without apple. They're also aligned with google for the maps and location. It's business.
  • Reply 156 of 164
    windonwindon Posts: 5member
    BMW dealer told me they do not like touch screens because it takes your hands off the wheel - like those silly dial and joy stick controls don't ? - I think they just like to charge extra for the software updates.
  • Reply 157 of 164
    They'll be intimidated eventually
  • Reply 158 of 164

The latest version of iDrive is pretty good, and it will only get better once iDrive touch is introduced.

Honestly, if there is one thing I hate inside a car, it's a touch screen. The knob is always within close proximity to the gear shifter and the display sits as high as possible on the dash.

Don't forget, iDrive 4.2 will be integrating Siri, S-Voice, and Google/Android into their system.

• Reply 159 of 164
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinDon View Post

BMW dealer told me they do not like touch screens because it takes your hands off the wheel - like those silly dial and joy stick controls don't ? - I think they just like to charge extra for the software updates.

I think it's more about placement of the touchscreen. That's where the problem is. Telsa has that HUGE 17inch touchscreen, that might be a little strange to drive and use it because the screen is so big and it diverts your eyes away from the road.  Those little jog wheels work once you get used to them for certain functions.  Mercedes has a jog wheel on some of their higher end model cars as well as buttons on the steering wheel.

Cars are a totally different beast than a handheld device because you are in an environment where you SHOULD be focused looking straight forward and anything that takes your focus away from the road is dangerous.  So, whatever is used has to work within a safety parameter that auto mfg feel comfortable with.

Mercedes ha that screen technology on their S class where the driver sees a different screen than the passenger at the same time.  Pretty cool technology.

I could see a small gesture track pad mounted on the center console as a possible solution instead of jog wheel.  Just an idea.

• Reply 160 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I could see a small gesture track pad mounted on the center console as a possible solution instead of jog wheel.  Just an idea.

That's exactly what BMW's iDrive Touch is. A track pad on the top of the iDrive knob.