iOS 7 design changes remain in flux, likely to see major revisions before release

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 164
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you have a very light background, I'm sure a few UI elements will be hard to see but you'd just avoid using white backgrounds. 

See this is the problem - this idea and philosophy.  Suppose a user happens to want to use a certain wallpaper?  Why should that user be forced to use something very dark and neutral simply because the designers of the OS UI simply didn't want to provide mechanisms of ensuring clarity and adequate separation between figure and ground?

Every version of IOS to date has provided at least a shadow behind fonts and around important iconographic elements to allow them to be separated visually from their contexts.  Mac OSX does it too.  So does Android, and virtually every other operating system on the market.  Why, then, is this sort of thing suddenly not necessary under the direction of Ive?  Reducing the usability of the platform in order to further a primarily aesthetic venture is just a bad idea, and it should not have happened.

• Reply 162 of 164

Here's what I think the lock screen should look like. All information is white text. All touchable buttons are grey. The bottom weather and scrolling stock ticker can be turned on/off or configured in settings. User can swipe left on the weather text to get a 5 day forecast or swipe right to get wind/barometer/humidy/etc. User can scrub through the stock ticker, after scrubbing, it pauses for a second then resumes scroll. Music player controls will always be available. To unlock the screen, the user swipes from the middle right arrow to the left and slides the home screen into view.

• Reply 163 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The new look is an example of an Apple unbalanced. Forstall and Ive were opposites. Yin Yang. Jony the light, Forstall the darkness. Together, having the friction would have produced great things. Now we just have a light Apple, all white, everyone happy and soon to be working in the happy circular spaceship. Following and not leading, going round and round in circles.

Whatever you say, Jethro. :no:
  • Reply 164 of 164
    nishinnishin Posts: 4member
    sc_markt wrote: »
    In my opinion, iOS 7 as it looks now looks as if it was designed for a 10 year old girl. It is butt-ugly and makes me nauseated to look at it.

I completely agree. The new UI in beta stinks. Reminds me of the change MS made to their Tiled interface. Yuck !

I hope they provide a knob to stick with ios6 style icons in ios7. Apple should seriously consider re-instating Scott. I've doesn't seem to have a clue on GUI design and has messed up ios7 real bad, IMHO.

Hope the final version is better.

Nishi