US assembly of Apple's new Mac Pro to be handled by Flextronics - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"My God, it's full of stars!"

Shooting Stars...makes a nice display but is burnt up and gone and soon forgotten.

• Reply 22 of 83
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm not American, so asking you guys. I understand patriotism and all, but if this is a company from Singapore, then this Made in USA thing isn't bringing in $$$ into the US, except for labor. Am I correct? And if so, would you rather have it being made by an American company? So the profit would flow into the US as well.

You are correct.....Some of the "made in the USA" is a misnomer......Like Ford and Chevy....when a ton of the parts for their cars come from outside of the US.

It is truly a Global economy.....

• Reply 23 of 83
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    geekdad wrote: »
    gtr wrote: »
    It appears that Samsung has already come up with their own version...

[IMG]

So did D-Link

[IMG]

But D-link is a router, not a PC. So no.

Samsung on the other hand is copying the Mac Pro literally. But because it's Samsung, it's trash.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Samsung on the other hand is copying the Mac Pro literally. But because it's Samsung, it's trash.

I guess I missed the Samsung Mac Pro copy...where is that?

But isn't there a ton of Samsung parts in the new MacPro?

• Reply 25 of 83
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    geekdad wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

I guess I missed the Samsung Mac Pro copy...where is that?

It's a desktop, but not as we know it ¡
  • Reply 26 of 83
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member

The Designed in California phrasing is more recent in Apple history -- definitely in the Jobs 2.0 era, not before.  Here is a photo of the back of the original Mac -- you never see the Designed in California tag, though they definitely make it known that they are in Cupertino, CA.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnOriginalMacintoshBackCaseUNALTEREDMACINTOSH.jpg

• Reply 27 of 83
    tapetape Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

It just says "Designed in California. Assembled in USA."  Would like to see "Designed & Made in USA"

Assembled does not sound good. It still says... parts are manufactured in China. They were shipped to USA and were assembled.

In 2013, the world's entire computer component manufacturing industry is in Asia. I mean the whole thing.

To make a fully "Made in USA" Mac, you'd have to get every component manufacturer to open factories in America because Macs are built with hundreds of components made by dozens of other companies. And, well, that is a little beyond Apple's scope. Apple can't force Intel or AMD or Broadcom to manufacture their chips in the US.

• Reply 28 of 83
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I hesitate to waste my time explaining it if it isn't obvious to you, but "Designed in California" is implicitly "Designed in USA", as California is IN the USA (duoh). Apple has used that phrase since Day One of at least the Macintosh (1984). It's a point of pride, a point of class, a point of coolness which only California could connote. You're probably not from California or you'd have a clue. But if you are, then shame on you for not having one.

Borhter, Whole world knows that CA is in US.  Its really feel good to see a nation's name rather than CA.

How a chinese fellow feel to see "Made in Shanghai" other than "Made in China."

Don't you think Apple products represent the nation-US?  Its a token of pride and the products speak to the world about USA.  

• Reply 29 of 83

Quote:

I'm not American, so asking you guys. I understand patriotism and all, but if this is a company from Singapore, then this Made in USA thing isn't bringing in $$$ into the US, except for labor. Am I correct? And if so, would you rather have it being made by an American company? So the profit would flow into the US as well.

Moving a larger-than-zero amount of assembly manufacturing move to the US from Asia is better than having no assembly manufacturing in the US.

You have to start somewhere.

• Reply 30 of 83
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

It just says "Designed in California. Assembled in USA."  Would like to see "Designed & Made in USA"

Assembled does not sound good. It still says... parts are manufactured in China. They were shipped to USA and were assembled.

Well, for most of the world, all this chest-beating, xenophobic, "pro-USA" stuff is profoundly distasteful, so there's that to consider also.  

They way they are pushing California, I think they believe that somehow the rest of the world has a more positive opinion of California than they do of the USA in general, but I think they are probably not correct about that either.  

The only explanation I have for why Apple is doing this sort of thing is that like most Americans, they are blissfully unaware of how the rest of the world really sees the USA and actually believe that line about America being a "world leader" that everyone "looks up to."  

For large sections of the world, the USA is closer to being the source of most of their problems than something to look up to, and the general smugness, the blindness to their faults, ant the endless self promotion of American companies looks just plain awful from the "outside." 

• Reply 31 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

The Designed in California phrasing is more recent in Apple history -- definitely in the Jobs 2.0 era, not before.  Here is a photo of the back of the original Mac -- you never see the Designed in California tag, though they definitely make it known that they are in Cupertino, CA.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnOriginalMacintoshBackCaseUNALTEREDMACINTOSH.jpg

I've never seen it on an actual product. It's generally the first thing you see when you open the packaging though.

I can't attest as to when the practice started, as the first non-used Apple product I bought was in 2005. With the Mac mini I bought in 2005, when you opened the box, "Designed by Apple in California" was written on the topmost thing on the inside of the box.

The MacBook Pro I got in 2008 had a similarly prominently-placed message, and I've seen it in the packaging of all of my iPhones, but again, never actually on the product.

• Reply 32 of 83
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tape View Post

In 2013, the world's entire computer component manufacturing industry is in Asia. I mean the whole thing. ...

Not true.  

Up until now most everything Apple made was "assembled" in China, but the parts come from all over and always have.  

There are parts in current Macs from France, the UK, and the USA right now.  

Partially, this is because Apple uses the highest quality parts.  While Asia certainly makes the majority of the parts, a lot of the best parts aren't made there.  

• Reply 33 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    For those that haven't made the connection the upcoming Motorola Moto X phone will also be "built in the USA" by . . . drumroll. . . [B]Flextronics[/B], the same company used by Apple. In Moto's case the work will be done in Texas.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chandra69 wrote: »

Until a cache of rare earth metals is found in the US we are unlikely to ever have the parts made here. China in particular doesn't allow the export of those metals in raw form. Japan just found a huge cache but its viewed as unlikely for them to allow export either. It's just too big an industry for them to let go of such a money maker.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

You should probably read the wikipedia page for Flex. The company was founded in the US and is now a international manufacturing operation with facilities in 30 countries and traded on Nasdaq. It is also rated in the top 100 best managed companies.

• Reply 36 of 83
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Also, why Apple does not say "Designed in USA" rather it says "Designed in California"? Any clue from history or events that made Apple/Steve to mention like that?

Because Apple is based in California. It's as simple as that.

Saying USA for assembly is likely reflective of two issues. First is that there may be several plants. Second is security.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    So if the Mac Pro is not the Made in USA Mac that was promised for later this year, then what will be? This is only "Assembled in USA" and Tim Cook and Obama clearly promised they'd start "making" Macs in America again.

It sounds like they've deliberately stretched the truth in order to score political points. Very disappointing. Assembling is not making!
  • Reply 38 of 83
    drblank wrote: »
    I think they are trying to appease to the people that live in California because a lot of people in California think that companies are moving out of California.  

Unlikely since that migration is fairly recent (last 5-10 years) and Apple has put the designed in tag since day one.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Until a cache of rare earth metals is found in the US we are unlikely to ever have the parts made here. 

There are plenty of rare earth metals in the US. They have been found, however, it is cost prohibitive to mine them due to environmental regulations, so it is less expensive to use China for electronics that require them.

• Reply 40 of 83
    It might be interesting if someone went to the trouble to see what kind of computer you could actually put together with only USA manufactured parts and how much it would cost.  

Until someone creates chips that don't need the metals from China it will be impossible. Not if you want expect it to be US companies also.