US assembly of Apple's new Mac Pro to be handled by Flextronics - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I was up last night (sad I know) thinking about the possible price of this new Mac Pro. The entry level machine could be very interesting indeed, it depends upon a number of things including the actual FirePros included. The machine at first glance looks expensive to build but one needs t remember that a good portion of that potential costs gets offset by many things that are deleted.

Gone are all of the specialized heat sinks and most of the fans you would find in a traditional machine. Gone is the need for a massive power supply to support X number of PCI Express slots. (The power supply won't be anything to sneeze at though). A lot of other things have been dropped from the base machine also. In the end I see a net gain for Apple that might lead to a very competitive entry level model. They might be able to pull the machine in at under $2000.
    Musings on the cost of a Mac Pro 2013 model.

I was just checking what a new 27" iMac i7 fully loaded would cost to allow me to work on HD video and very large multiple RAW images. By the time I add in Apple Care, a large SSD and even not loading with RAM from Apple I am around the $4,000 mark. OK a Mac Pro doesn't have a monitor but I already have one ... a Mac Pro starts to look worth waiting for especially when you consider the Geekbench of an existing Mac Pro already is double the top end iMac. I have to assume the new Mac Pro will be upwards of 3 to 4 x the top end iMac or at least getting up there. History tells us a lower end Mac Pro will more than likely start at around $2,500 and go up to some astronomical level. So if a mid level new Mac Pro can be had for $4,000 with Apple care it really is a no brainer for me ... There, ... did I convince myself to wait? :\

I'd wait! Seriously you have nothing to loose. In fact you would want to wait anyways at this point because Haswell iMacs should arrive shortly. That being said the new Mac Pro even in a more minimal configuration will most likely run circles around most machines and it will only get better as software is optimized for the machine.
  • Reply 82 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sorry forgot to hit quote ...
  • Reply 83 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I was up last night (sad I know) thinking about the possible price of this new Mac Pro. The entry level machine could be very interesting indeed, it depends upon a number of things including the actual FirePros included. The machine at first glance looks expensive to build but one needs t remember that a good portion of that potential costs gets offset by many things that are deleted.

Gone are all of the specialized heat sinks and most of the fans you would find in a traditional machine. Gone is the need for a massive power supply to support X number of PCI Express slots. (The power supply won't be anything to sneeze at though). A lot of other things have been dropped from the base machine also. In the end I see a net gain for Apple that might lead to a very competitive entry level model. They might be able to pull the machine in at under $2000.
    I'd wait! Seriously you have nothing to loose. In fact you would want to wait anyways at this point because Haswell iMacs should arrive shortly. That being said the new Mac Pro even in a more minimal configuration will most likely run circles around most machines and it will only get better as software is optimized for the machine.

Thanks I agree ... :D