Inside iOS 7: Apple's Weather app gets animated

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

The only thing I want from Apple's weather app is for them to fix the city names which have been slightly borked since iOS 6 came out and they switched the sources for that sort of thing to their own databases instead of Google's.  

The Clock app is even worse in that it basically only has US cities in it and maybe one or two randomly selected cities from each of the other countries. Apple needs to realise that other countries exist.  

• Reply 22 of 70
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The only thing I want from Apple's weather app is for them to fix the city names which have been slightly borked since iOS 6 came out and they switched the sources for that sort of thing to their own databases instead of Google's.  

The Clock app is even worse in that it basically only has US cities in it and maybe one or two randomly selected cities from each of the other countries. Apple needs to realise that other countries exist.  

Isn't that the brilliance of a smartphone? Simply choose an app that does meet your specific needs and install it. I've got a couple of other weather apps that I find helpful myself; and I DO live in the United States....

OR drop a browser shortcut onto your homescreen for a browser version of your favorite weather service webpages.

• Reply 23 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drandel wrote: »
    Hey, animated weather is cutting-edge technology!! Uh ... about 5 years ago, that is.

I can't believe that Apple actually showcased this feature when WWDC time was at a premium. In fact, this app would make great Apple-mocking material for the next round of Microsoft Windows phone commercials.

What will Ives come up with next for the weather app? Sound effects? Water droplets that appear to be hitting the display? How about a weather forecaster with radar maps that steps into the picture (male or female by user preferences, of course).

Sorry, but the weather app is the antithesis of what Apple seems to be doing with the rest of the iOS 7 user interface.
    Yet this got enthusiastic applause when shown at WWDC. What is it with all the damn kill joys these days. :rolleyes:

Or are we just getting an influx of concern trolls - the ones who love apple an own every apple product under the sun but are ready to jump ship because of blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, his name is Ive, not Ives. If you can't get something as simple as someone's name right the rest of what you say is pretty meaningless.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Because an ever changing icon would be confusing to the eye and brain. People get used to what their icons look like.

but this is done with the Calendar app....the icon reflects the current date. It would be great if the weather app displayed the temp based on current location.
  • Reply 25 of 70

HTC had this with the first Htc Incredible 

• Reply 26 of 70
    baenshubaenshu Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yahoo was supplying, and probably still is, the weather data.

The Yahoo app is quite nice.

But Yahoo app shows Weather Underground as IT'S source and Apples app shows Yahoo IT'S source. It's like Apple is using Yahoo as a middle man when if WU is the main source for both, why not have WU on Apple app too? Thats what I was meaning.

• Reply 27 of 70
    geekdad wrote: »
    but this is done with the Calendar app....the icon reflects the current date. It would be great if the weather app displayed the temp based on current location.
    Wouldn't that be a drain on the battery? I'm assuming why it doesn't have it. I use an app that shows the current temp in red notification dot form but its not always up to date.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wouldn't that be a drain on the battery? I'm assuming why it doesn't have it. I use an app that shows the current temp in red notification dot form but its not always up to date.

i am not sure...it might be. But when the phone goes out and checks for mail or something like that it could refresh the weather at the same time.....just a thought.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    steelraven wrote: »
    HTC had this with the first Htc Incredible 
    Yeah and Spotify existed before Google's new radio service. Who cares? I'm not aware Apple was claiming they were the first to have animated weather. And I'm guessing most people when using their phone aren't thinking about who developed something first. People will get this on their iPhone, think its cool and move on with their life.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member
    It most likely isn't displayed in the icon as a battery managment issue,
  • Reply 31 of 70
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drandel View Post

Hey, animated weather is cutting-edge technology!! Uh ... about 5 years ago, that is.

I can't believe that Apple actually showcased this feature when WWDC time was at a premium. In fact, this app would make great Apple-mocking material for the next round of Microsoft Windows phone commercials.

Are you serious? I just checked and the weather app update got less than a minute of talk time in the whole of the hour-odd long keynote. 

Also it is part of the end to end redesign of iOS and it's supposed to be demonstrated. You may not have gotten the memo of what the keynote was all about. Or are you just digging for crap to throw Apple's way by any chance...

• Reply 32 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It's a great app. It's just a shame that the icon on the homescreen doesn't change too.

That what I was thinking. Apple redesigned the entire UI of iOS 7. It would have been nice if they've added dynamic icons API. However, I don't blame them for not adding this now. The beta really shows that they were short on time.

• Reply 33 of 70

How about an icon that reflects the weather- the calendar app icon updates, why not weather????????????

• Reply 34 of 70
    SMH Let's take all the pop out of iOS and make it nearly monochrome, then add some bling inside the app...just the Weather app though. Now we're getting it.

Maybe I am just one of those people who haven't seen the whole OS and am on my Jump to Conclusions mat. It's just different I guess.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fred Kahl View Post

How about an icon that reflects the weather- the calendar app icon updates, why not weather????????????

Great idea! Welcome to the forum......
  • Reply 36 of 70
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member
    This is actually better than the Flickr photos version Yahoo used on their own app where many of the same photos are recycled and photos for some cities/towns are simply terrible. Another negative is that loading photos can be laggy.

Apple must have shared the new design language with Yahoo, the font is the same, same weight even, blurred background layer, flat icons, quite a lot of little animations within the app. It can't be a coincidence, that's for sure.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

This is actually better than the Flickr photos version Yahoo used on their own app where many of the same photos are recycled and photos for some cities/towns are simply terrible. Another negative is that loading photos can be laggy.

Apple must have shared the new design language with Yahoo, the font is the same, same weight even, blurred background layer, flat icons, quite a lot of little animations within the app. It can't be a coincidence, that's for sure.

I do share the same feeling, maybe Apple got a new "friend" since they burns all bridges with Google. 

• Reply 38 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wish all the icons would show a little live data about the information inside, like a little window into the app.

Those are called widgets.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yeah and Spotify existed before Google's new radio service. Who cares? I'm not aware Apple was claiming they were the first to have animated weather. And I'm guessing most people when using their phone aren't thinking about who developed something first. People will get this on their iPhone, think its cool and move on with their life.

Yet we constantly hear about anything that Apple did first.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Those are called widgets.

I am not aware of any international law prohibiting icons to perform widget-like functions.