Leaked schematics reveal what case makers expect Apple's low-cost iPhone & 'iPhone 5S' will look lik

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Stunning that there still such clueless people that keep bringing up the Faux-iPhone idea. Aka iPhone Nano.

It's not even an idea, per se. It's just an embarrassment in text form.
  • Reply 82 of 120
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    pmz wrote: »
    Stunning that there still such clueless people that keep bringing up the Faux-iPhone idea. Aka iPhone Nano.

It's not even an idea, per se. It's just an embarrassment in text form.

So honoured to be in the presence of a stunningly clued in person. Your pearls of wisdom have us bathed in enlightenment for days and days.
  • Reply 83 of 120
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So honoured to be in the presence of a stunningly clued in person. Your pearls of wisdom have us bathed in enlightenment for days and days.

Thanks for beating me to the punch.  Well said.

Hey, I'm still not fully convinced about a feature phone either.  I do believe that a feature phone would be more probable than an iPhone nano, just because an iPhone Nano (with all iPhone features) would compete too much with existing iPhone lines and would be too expensive to meet profit margins.

A while ago, mjtomlin posted his opinion piece on an Apple feature phone.  I think it's worth considering and I agree with many of his points (except I think the feature phone would indeed have wifi).

http://www.obviouslogic.com/opinions/iphone-nano.php

• Reply 84 of 120
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    A while ago, mjtomlin posted his opinion piece on an Apple feature phone.  I think it's worth considering and I agree with many of his points (except I think the feature phone would indeed have wifi).
    http://www.obviouslogic.com/opinions/iphone-nano.php
    Will not have:
    Access to the AppStore
    WiFi
    GPS or Maps
    AirPlay
    Siri

So what's the point?
  • Reply 85 of 120
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what's the point?

telephone

tel·e·phoned, tel·e·phon·ing.

noun

an apparatus, system, or process for transmission of sound or speech to a distant point, especially by an electric device.

• Reply 87 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley wrote: »
    <div class="header" style="padding-bottom:2px;font-family:verdana;color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:normal;"> </div>

<div class="header" style="padding-bottom:2px;font-family:verdana;color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:normal;">[SIZE=16px]telephone[/SIZE]</div>

<div class="header" style="padding-bottom:2px;font-family:verdana;color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:normal;"><span class="secondary-bf" style="display:inline;font-weight:bold;"><span id="user_hotword">tel·e·phoned,</span> </span>
    <span class="secondary-bf" style="display:inline;font-weight:bold;">tel·e·phon·ing.</span>
    </div>

<div class="body" style="margin-top:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;font-family:verdana;color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:normal;">
    <span class="pg" style="font-weight:bold;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;display:inline;font-style:italic;font-size:13px;padding-right:3px;"><span><span>noun</span></span></span>

<div class="luna-Ent" style="padding-bottom:5px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;background-image:none;"><span class="dnindex" style="font-weight:bold;color:rgb(123,123,123);display:block;float:left;width:28px;"><span>1.</span></span>

an apparatus, system, or process for transmission of sound or speech to a distant point, especially by an electric device.
    </div>

</div>

Apple doesn't make cell phones, it makes smart phones.
  • Reply 88 of 120

Apple have never entered a new market, ever.

• Reply 89 of 120
    Apple have never entered a new market, ever.

Thing is, I'm just not sure the iPod shuffle is usable as a valid component to this argument.
  • Reply 90 of 120
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

So what's the point?

Since you provide no value in your responses to my posts...please do not comment to my posts (esp knowing that I have you on ignore as of now).

• Reply 91 of 120
    drewys808 wrote: »
    Since you provide no value in your responses to my posts...please do not comment to my posts (esp knowing that I have you on ignore as of now).

Nah, I'll reply to whomever I choose, thanks. Either answer my question or don't bother.
  • Reply 92 of 120

What "point" was there to the original iPhone that can't be extrapolated to a feature phone class iPhone nano (or mini, or whatever).

Apple make consumer electronics that are known for being high build quality and very easy to use.  There's plenty of point there.

Quit being so obtuse, it's irritating.

• Reply 93 of 120
    Apple make consumer electronics that are known for being high build quality and very easy to use.  There's plenty of point there.

That's the overarching statement, yes. That doesn't give purpose to any one device. You could justify any piece of electronic equipment for any reason with that statement. Apple could very well be making a blender.
  • Reply 94 of 120

They could, but there aren't any rumours about that.  What's your point?

• Reply 95 of 120
    They could, but there aren<span style="line-height:1.231;">'t any rumours about that.  What's your point?</span>

Well, I'm wondering what yours is now, since "existence of rumors" wasn't what we were discussing.

That link supposes a product that is, in every single fundamental way, NOT what an iPhone is. Therefore there's little reason to assume it would ever exist.
  • Reply 96 of 120

Quote:

Well, I'm wondering what yours is now, since "existence of rumors" wasn't what we were discussing.

We are discussing it because of the existence of rumours.  When there are rumours of an iBlender we can discuss that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That link supposes a product that is, in every single fundamental way, NOT what an iPhone is. Therefore there's little reason to assume it would ever exist.

Perhaps.  If you're so convinced why are you bothering to engage with other people's fun with rumours?  Why the need to shoot harmless wishful thinking and theorising down?

Besides which, I don't think your premise stands.  The fundamental things that an iPhone is, from the very first unveiling, are a phone, an iPod, and an internet communications devices.  You can add "app platform" into that as of iOS2.

A feature phone could accomplish the first two, and a chunk of the third, it's just the fourth that the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.

• Reply 97 of 120
    ...the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.</span>

So what gives anyone the idea that Apple would ever do this?
  • Reply 98 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Besides which, I don't think your premise stands.  The fundamental things that an iPhone is, from the very first unveiling, are a phone, an iPod, and an internet communications devices.  You can add "app platform" into that as of iOS2.
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">A feature phone could accomplish the first two, and a chunk of the third, it's just the fourth that the fictional device we've been discussing here leaves out.</span>

So is Apple going to pay people to use a feature phone considering you can get the full iPhone 4 experience for $0 with a contract.
  • Reply 99 of 120

Quote:

So what gives anyone the idea that Apple would ever do this?

There's a large market there, with room for Apple to make something that blows away the user experience.  They're already present in the similar smartphone market, so know a lot of what they need to know.

Remember this?

There's still a lot of empty space in the right hand side of that grid.

What more do you need?  Why does anyone need to prove viability to you in order to have a conversation about what such a device might do if Apple were to make one.

• Reply 100 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So is Apple going to pay people to use a feature phone considering you can get the full iPhone 4 experience for $0 with a contract.

A very expensive contract, because of the huge subsidy.  Also, off-contract it's a long way from $0, so Apple don't have a strong presence in the prepaid market.