Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Samsung clearly takes great pride and care in every product it makes, based on the sheer amount that it can shit out at any given time.
    Its actually becoming comical now, Like Apple's WWDC video said, people confuse abundance with choice. I wonder what all the environmentally conscious tech geeks think about Samsung flooding the planet with all these different product variations. Talk about a waste of resources.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    [QUOTE]The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life.[/QUOTE]

How is this getting 12 hours battery life? And if it really is then where is the retina displays on the Airs? Pr does that have nothing to do with battery life but Apple wanting to up sell you to the Pro?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Android devices Samsung introduced on Thursday include the photography-centric Galaxy S4 Zoom, which packs a 10x optical zoom; the Galaxy S4 Active, which is waterproof and dust-proof; .. 

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

That Galaxy S4 Active looks interesting.   Reviewers are saying it has a more substantial feeling case, an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, and it's waterproof to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes.  Yet it's still slim.

If Apple made a waterproof model, I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.  (Yeah, I know you can get a case.  Not the same thing.)

• Reply 24 of 70
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Samsung... Never misses on promoting themselves as the lowest life company in tech world!
    Copy... Make false claims, bribe and Orchestrate bs against competition! Copy.... Copy...copy... Manipulate media.. Copy copy...
    The company reflects exactly what the ceo is.. A crook!
  • Reply 25 of 70
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is this getting 12 hours battery life? And if it really is then where is the retina displays on the Airs? Pr does that have nothing to do with battery life but Apple wanting to up sell you to the Pro?

Because, amongst other things its real weight is 1.29kg (2.8lb) and not 1.2lb like this article claims.

Can anyone fix the article?

Edit: this still makes it lighter than the 13" MacBook air, but at least it's more plausible, and I bet that you can only get 12 hours in Android mode.

• Reply 26 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Because, amongst other things its real weight is 1.29kg (2.8lb) and not 1.2lb like this article claims.

Can anyone fix the article?

Edit: this still makes it lighter than the 13" MacBook air, but at least it's more plausible, and I bet that you can only get 12 hours in Android mode.

Ok so it weighs less than the 13" air.  IF it gets 12 hrs battery life then how do the airs not have retina displays?  Unless the price will be similar to the 13" Pro?

• Reply 27 of 70

Quote:

Ok so it weighs less than the 13" air.  IF it gets 12 hrs battery life then how do the airs not have retina displays?  Unless the price will be similar to the 13" Pro?

How do you know that it will be 12 hours of real-world usage of desktop apps on Windows? Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

Beside I just found an article that says that Samsung claimed 9 hours or battery life on the Ativ Q, not 12.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465528/samsung_ativ_q_tablet_runs_both_windows_8_android_jelly_bean/

Edit: searched around the web, and most news site talk about 9 hours, and only a few say 12 hours. The Samsung press release does not even mention the battery life of the Q, while they do brag about the 10 hours on the Tab 3.

• Reply 28 of 70
    vl-tone wrote: »
    How do you know that it will be 12 hours of real-world usage of desktop apps on Windows? Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

Beside I just found an article that says that Samsung claimed 9 hours or battery life on the Ativ Q, not 12.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465528/samsung_ativ_q_tablet_runs_both_windows_8_android_jelly_bean/

Edit: searched around the web, and most news site talk about 9 hours, and only a few say 12 hours. The Samsung press release does not even mention the battery life of the Q, while they do brag about the 10 hours on the Tab 3.
    I don't. I'm going off the article here. Interesting that they didn't give any prices.
  • Reply 29 of 70

Quote:

I don't. I'm going off the article here. Interesting that they didn't give any prices.

Yeah sorry I should've said "how do WE know..."

Anyway I got confused by the article and the confusing Samung names. The claimed 12 hours battery life is for the Ativ Book 9 lite, not the Ativ Q.

Edit: The Ativ Book 9 lite is a MacBook clone that doesn't run Android, and it's not that "lite", it weights 1.44kg, which is around 3.2 pounds.

It's heavier than the air, but lighter than the current 13" retina MBP (1.62kg), but remember that those haven't been upgraded with Haswell CPUs. Also, previous similar models in the Ativ Book series were costing around $1900.

• Reply 30 of 70
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

At this rate, Samsung only has to sell one of each product to outsell Apple in total.

• Reply 31 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life. The Lite has the same size display, but it outputs at 1366x768 and features an AMD A6 quad-core chip.

Is the Hawell processor better than Haswell?

• Reply 32 of 70
    gtr wrote: »
    APPLEinsider?

SecretlyObsessedWithSamsungInsider.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

That Galaxy S4 Active looks interesting.   Reviewers are saying it has a more substantial feeling case, an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, and it's waterproof to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes.  Yet it's still slim.

If Apple made a waterproof model, I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.  (Yeah, I know you can get a case.  Not the same thing.)

I could imagine iWatch to be waterproof, but having waterproof smartphone is device for divers only. but even they should stick to diver tasks. everything else is sick.

• Reply 34 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

SecretlyObsessedWithSamsungInsider.

One minute people are bitching that too much information is being leaked about Apple products; the next minute there is not enough Apple news so AI has to fill up the space with competitor information... and then, of course, there is bitching about that.

• Reply 35 of 70

In any case, this shotgun approach, as @jungmark so nicely pointed out just shows the have no clue and they are in the panic, because orders are crunching and they are just trying to put up together still decent total figures. While they fired practically all their ammo, Apple is coming out with only second additional model yet in the middle of market saturation.....Samsung will be hit heavily.

• Reply 36 of 70
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    What if I want a mini galaxy phone that is waterproof? Can I combine multiple things together, a sort of "build your own phone - select your hardware and software"?
  • Reply 37 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Anyway I got confused by the article and the confusing Samung names. The claimed 12 hours battery life is for the Ativ Book 9 lite, not the Ativ Q.

I'm sure battery life is just 'fine'.
  • Reply 38 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

What if I want a mini galaxy phone that is waterproof? Can I combine multiple things together, a sort of "build your own phone - select your hardware and software"?

why stop here? why not configuring graphics, water-cooled heatsinks, external keyboards, hey, what the hell, why not keyboard, modems and antenna, too. after all, user knows the best and it is very profitable for a manufacturer to offer such "service" :)  

you made a good point here! 

• Reply 39 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Ativ Q, an 8.2mm thick Windows tablet that weighs just 1.2 pounds.

That is wrong. That is the ATIV Tab 3.

• Reply 40 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Good earth, why?

Are you the poster that's always clammoring for this? It will never, ever, happen.

You do not get it. How about this?:

Apple should make a light Mac (400 to 600 g).

Hint: the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.