Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    appex wrote: »
    Hint: the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

For Keynote people use:

PowerPoint goes here:
  • Reply 42 of 70
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member
    *yawn*

Did they really need a keynote to debut these?
  • Reply 43 of 70
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    <p> I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. </p>

You either reduce the resolution of the photo to make editing and uploading it faster (defeating the purpose of a high-end camera) or burn through your data and battery life uploading such high-res photos.

However I see it, none of its features seem to complement each other well, and seem to have been added just to check off a list.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Hold off purchasing, people!

The 'quicker' and 'faster' versions of these devices should be available next week:

http://www.redmondpie.com/samsung-ceo-faster-galaxy-s4-being-prepped-for-launch/

• Reply 45 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.

All companies have this problem, Apple as well. Rule of thumb is pretty much divide the advertised time in half. Maybe the new Intel chips will change this, I don't know. My Macbook Air gets almost 3 hours of battery, If I dim the screen and just read an eBook I can squeeze out a little more but I have never gotten anywhere near the advertised time. The tablets seem to be pretty close to their advertised time though, my iPad get's about 8 hours, Thinkpad Tablet II is also 8 hours, the only device I have ever owned with a single battery that got over 10 hours was my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, 12 hours.
  • Reply 46 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Wonderful!! So not only does watching video hog your battery life, you now have a motion sensor that remains active for the length of the video on the outside chance that you may nod off and the video should be paused automatically. Twice the battery drain for a 1% gain in "functionality"!

Does this officially make rewind button passé now?

• Reply 47 of 70
    Does this officially make rewind button passé now?

Touché
  • Reply 48 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For Keynote people use:

PowerPoint goes here:

Nope. Unfortunately that is not true, It does not work. I am talking about presentations with audio, video, animations, transitions, backgrounds, special fonts, colors, frames, tables, pictures, special formatting (as with Word and Excel), etc. Get the facts:

1. Keynote excels on some features, but PowerPoint excels on others. You may need one or the other.

1. Keynote presentations made on Mac are not fully compatible with iOS.

2. PowerPoint presentations made on Mac are not fully compatible with iOS.

3. There are even incompatibilities on Keynote from one Mac to other Mac, even with the same OS version.

4. There are even incompatibilities on PowerPoint from one Mac to other Mac; or from one PC to other PC, even with the same OS version.

5. Of course, there are also incompatibilities between Mac and Windows, but using Microsoft Office on Mac is the best way to reduce incompatibilities. To be compatible with 99% of the world, you need PowerPoint, Word and Excel.

Sorry, that is the truth, like it or not. Do not get me wrong. I hate M$ products (that is why I use a Mac!), but must use Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) because of all that.

And that is why a pocketable Mac (400 to 600 g) would be the best presentation tool for people who create presentations on a Desktop Mac and then use such presentation anywhere, without having to carry a heavy laptop. Yes, even the MacBook Air 11-inch is too large and heavy for what is possible now with the new Intel microprocessors. And both Acer (Iconia W3) and Samsung (ATIV Tab 3) have proved that it is possible to make such kind of computer that has been a dream for decades...

Because the iPad is for joy, but the Mac is for joy and work.

• Reply 49 of 70
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

Or any 4G LTE camera in general.

on the-gadgeteer.com Julie said her Samsung galaxy camera took about 30 seconds from switch on to being ready to take a photo, really handy for snapping the kids, I presume this new LTE model is quicker.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

These guys just throw devices at the wall and see what sticks. That's not a strategy, it's an algorithm.

• Reply 51 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    You do not get it. How about this?:
    Apple should make a light Mac (400 to 600 g).
    Hint: the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

That's what the MBA is for.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

Reporters?  Wedding photographers?  (Let someone back at home base realtime edit the incoming photos and have a book ready by the end of reception, to hand out.)

I have several friends who bought those EyeFi camera SD cards simply because it would upload their pictures automatically whenever they got near a hotspot.  They'd love an LTE version.

Not every product in the world needs to sell in the hundreds of millions.   Heck, look at Apple TV.  It's been just a "hobby" for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

The better commercial for that feature was the Dad changing a diaper for the first time, while watching an instructional video he found.   He'd look at a step, then do it (while the video automatically paused), then look back at the video which triggered the next step, and so forth.

Quote:

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

It doesn't videotape you.  It just constantly watches for your face.  Apple has filed for similar patents, for similar purposes.

• Reply 53 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Reporters?  Wedding photographers?  (Let someone back at home base realtime edit the incoming photos and have a book ready by the end of reception, to hand out.)

I have several friends who bought those EyeFi camera SD cards simply because it would upload their pictures automatically whenever they got near a hotspot.  They'd love an LTE version.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Not every product in the world needs to sell in the hundreds of millions.   Heck, look at Apple TV.  It's been just a "hobby" for years.</span>

The better commercial for that feature was the Dad changing a diaper for the first time, while watching an instructional video he found.   He'd look at a step, then do it (while the video automatically paused), then look back at the video which triggered the next step, and so forth.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">It doesn't videotape you.  It just constantly watches for your face.  Apple has filed for similar patents, for similar purposes.</span>

Professional photogs use SLR cameras.

It constantly watches your face uses battery too. Who is to say some software can't be loaded to activate the recording without you knowing. Apple patents a lot of things they don't use.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    How about a 15" iPad running a successor to iOS? OS X will NEVER work on a touchscreen.

You are like the negative version of Digitimes. They also make stuff up and stand by it like it's fact. The only difference is that they insist that things will be added but you insist they won't.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    Say, isn't that the OS Tiger wallpaper those computers are sporting?
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Get the facts:

1-5 (6)

I know, and get what you mean. And when all compatibility fails, I simply export my Keynote as a QT movie. Couldn't be simpler, and gets the point across.
    Because the iPad is for joy, but the Mac is for joy and work.

I'd say the iPad is most definitely used for work as well. But don't take my word for it, just read a story on the Internet about the iPad. Any story, really.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »

It constantly watches your face uses battery too. Who is to say some software can't be loaded to activate the recording without you knowing. Apple patents a lot of things they don't use.

There's a story out today about a blind Chinese dissident at NYU whose iPhone and iPad were reportedly loaded with hidden tracking software and spyware.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's a story out today about a blind Chinese dissident at NYU whose iPhone and iPad were reportedly loaded with hidden tracking software and spyware.

It was probably planted there by his dog, the fury little guy probably got tired of loosing his master every time he went for a pee break.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    evilution wrote: »
    You are like the negative version of Digitimes. They also make stuff up and stand by it like it's fact. The only difference is that they insist that things will be added but you insist they won't.
    Hey, don't be mean to Tallest, I think your mouth is getting too big for your muzzle.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    jessi wrote: »

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

Hmmm, I think I'm going to start showering with my iPad, maybe I can get a date. Ring, ring, "hello", "uuuh, you don't know me but I think you should get that mole on your right breast looked at", "excuse me".