BlackBerry sees quarterly loss of $84M on shipments of 2.7M BB10 phones

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I haven't seen any convincing argument in favor of larger screen size.

• Apple competitors sell larger screen sizes because the devices originally required the space for the components, including battery as well as NFC and LTE components

• Apple competitors found some success with larger devices because the larger devices had more features and functions as well as longer battery life; upon finding success the competitors began manufacturing millions of devices and spending heavily on advertising and marketing

• Apple competitors do not now know how to design and manufacture a premium device in a smaller form factor and are fearful that if they did the product wouldn't sell as they have accustomed their customers to larger profiles which is why there aren't any smaller, premium devices from Apple competitors

Big screens on a phone are just "fins on Cadillacs" really.  

Go into any phone store and let the guy there try to sell you a smartphone. He will go on about the "big beautiful screen" and "look at that colour pop!" the same as the sleazy guy in the plaid sportcoat selling colour TV's in the mall in 1971.  

Dad will fall for it every time, but Mum knows the iPhone is a better overall deal.  

• Reply 82 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, of course Apple is not the one making any of those healthcare apps or software. Apple was just highlighting how their devices are being adopted and used by the healthcare and medical industry.

Yes, but the question was about markets.  In fact, Apple has "entered the healthcare market" and the numbers are fucking huge.  It's iPad all the way, no Android at all, and the adoption rate is through the ceiling.  If this isn't entering a new market and doing well, I don't see what is.  

• Reply 83 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, if you consider the fact that Justin Bieber is Canadian, it doesn't surprise me.    I just couldn't resist.

As someone who has lived in Canada for a long time, I can confirm that everyone up here is seriously embarrassed that this little jerk originates from here.  image

• Reply 84 of 94
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Worse than that, comebacks almost never happen in the business world.  Apple is actually a very, very rare exception in that way. 

Once blackberry shifted to servicing their existing users and not adding new users, they were already dead.  This was long before the BB10 came out.  You can see it plain as day in their sales charts.  Articles were written about it almost two years ago.  

The only way to reverse such a trend is to come out with new products that drive a Huge waver of adoption and generate new customers.  It's arguable that even the BB10 sales (3 million units?) are similarly just maintenance for their existing faithful customers but even if some of them are new customers (let's say half), that is still a drop in the bucket.  It means that since about 2009 or so, Blackberry may have added a few million new users tops, while iPhone has added maybe 100 times that.  

They are doomed now just as they were already doomed before the BB10 became available.  A great deal of the reason for finishing and selling it, is to make the hardware side of their business more attractive for a takeover or a sale.  Anyone with any business sense could see the writing on the wall for the company as a whole for a long time now. 

I beg to differ, plenty of companies have made it from the brink of destruction. How many company's stocks went down to mere pennies in 2008? Ford for example was thisclose to bankruptcy and look at them now.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I beg to differ, plenty of companies have made it from the brink of destruction. How many company's stocks went down to mere pennies in 2008? Ford for example was thisclose to bankruptcy and look at them now.

Yeah, but that doesn't make it likely or easy. Things like that are the exception, not the rule.

Maybe BlackBerry can pull an IBM and reinvent themselves in a purely Enterprise niche, more with software/service than hardware. But it's unlikely.

More likely, as someone brought up, this is a gambit partially designed to help them get scooped up. Why wouldn't MS buy them and incorporate some of the good features into WP8?
  • Reply 86 of 94
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Hey, I am not saying they will be right, they are often wrong. But sentiment is pretty low atm. That being said, I do believe Apple can turn this around, so I do have real money betting on this. But my confidence is not strong as it could be, giving the lastest product annoncement hiatus. But they could still have a great plan and iOS 7 is a key part of the new upcomming hardware, so they had to delay all hardware (upgrades/new) to fall.

You see herbapou... you're stuck on what "other people" are saying about Apple. You fail to learn about Apple, it's history, and what makes them tick. They are and always have been an "outlier" company and a complet "Original". They started the secrecy campaigns years ago, and I must say, I think it has served them well.

You really do not need to worry what "others" are saying about Apple... because it always has been "bad news" and it probably always will be.

The term, "Apple is DOOMED"™ technically should be trademarked, because it ONLY applies to Apple every time there's a lull in their "innovation" and are not bringing out the next BIG thing. And even when they do... no one... not industry analysts, competing executives, major media, or tech bloggers.... can ever see the future quite as well as Apple does... and still proclaims before a product is even on the market, that... you got it, "Apple is DOOMED!™

If you're smart, you just laugh, be patient... and let the pundits stick THEIR foots in their mouths, since they actually get paid to do that. You don't. Or do you???

pendergast wrote: »
    Yeah, but that doesn't make it likely or easy. Things like that are the exception, not the rule.

Maybe BlackBerry can pull an IBM and reinvent themselves in a purely Enterprise niche, more with software/service than hardware. But it's unlikely.

More likely, as someone brought up, this is a gambit partially designed to help them get scooped up. Why wouldn't MS buy them and incorporate some of the good features into WP8?

I was actually predicting that very scenario 2 years ago. I don't imagine I'm the only one.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

"First introduced in 2011, the PlayBook has failed to capture a meaningful piece of the tablet market, and BlackBerry was forced to eat $485 million in inventory as a result."

This is what happens when a company ships but doesn't sell. The write-down came quickly, too. So, if it is true that other companies such as Samsung have sold many less than they have shipped, we would have seen similar write-downs. ASAIK, this has not happened. 

• Reply 88 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

The term, "Apple is DOOMED"™ technically should be trademarked, because it ONLY applies to Apple every time there's a lull in their "innovation" and are not bringing out the next BIG thing. And even when they do... no one... not industry analysts, competing executives, major media, or tech bloggers.... can ever see the future quite as well as Apple does... and still proclaims before a product is even on the market, that... you got it, "Apple is DOOMED!™

"Apple is doomed" is not a term. Strictly speaking, a term is a single word or a compound-word. 

• Reply 89 of 94
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple is underestimating the importance of a big screen and is being slow to adapt to this reality.

Same thing happened to blackberry (keyboard vs keyboardless screen) 

When the cheap plastic iPhone is released with the same size screen as current iPhone and is a runaway hit, you will come to understand that the current iphone size is perfect and that oversized handsets are only a fad market.

• Reply 90 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Apple is underestimating the importance of a big screen and is being slow to adapt to this reality.
    Same thing happened to blackberry (keyboard vs keyboardless screen) 
    When the cheap plastic iPhone is released with the same size screen as current iPhone and is a runaway hit, you will come to understand that the current iphone size is perfect and that oversized handsets are only a fad market.

+1 (though I don't think he'll understand, but good of you to try to make him understand nonetheless)
  • Reply 91 of 94
    mrialmrial Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And where are all of those BB fans that are touting how much Blackberry is on a comeback?

They're out there.  Just read some of the BB blogs.  Some of them are as fiercely loyal as the mac fans in the days Apple was thought to be down-and-out.  

• Reply 92 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

+1 (though I don't think he'll understand, but good of you to try to make him understand nonetheless)

There is nothing to understand or misunderstand. It's silly to make this sound like a highly intellectual concept that some fail to grasp because of poor genetic lineage. There is no such thing as a perfect phone size. Everyone is just opining based on personal preference or blind allegiance to their favored company or product.

Assuming there will be a cheap plastic iPhone and assuming it will be a runaway hit (very likely), it won't prove that the phone size is perfect or the reason for the device's success.

While Apple's engineering and marketing are to be lauded, the whole single-handed use thing is a sleight of hand, even more so than how 324 ppi is the perfect pixel density. Everyone has a different hand size. Many uses of smartphones require two hands. Some uses of the phone are better served with one hand. Even in those situations, it is often unnecessary to reach all corners of the screen with the thumb. There are situations when a larger screen is a significant advantage. Some phones are indeed absurdly large, but so were the 19" laptops that some users preferred. Bottom line - there is no such thing as a perfect phone size. 

• Reply 93 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    stelligent wrote: »
    There is nothing to understand or misunderstand. It's silly to make this sound like a highly intellectual concept that some fail to grasp because of poor genetic lineage. There is no such thing as a perfect phone size. Everyone is just opining based on personal preference or blind allegiance to their favored company or product.

Assuming there will be a cheap plastic iPhone and assuming it will be a runaway hit (very likely), it won't prove that the phone size is perfect or the reason for the device's success.

While Apple's engineering and marketing are to be lauded, the whole single-handed use thing is a sleight of hand, even more so than how 324 ppi is the perfect pixel density. Everyone has a different hand size. Many uses of smartphones require two hands. Some uses of the phone are better served with one hand. Even in those situations, it is often unnecessary to reach all corners of the screen with the thumb. There are situations when a larger screen is a significant advantage. Some phones are indeed absurdly large, but so were the 19" laptops that some users preferred. Bottom line - there is no such thing as a perfect phone size. 

Good points! Personally I prefer a smaller iPhone, and if Apple would ever release the old 3.5" size I'd buy that. But of course, to each his own, which you describe perfectly.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good points! Personally I prefer a smaller iPhone, and if Apple would ever release the old 3.5" size I'd buy that. But of course, to each his own, which you describe perfectly.

Apple still offers the iPhone 4 and 4S if you are still interested in the older 3.5 inch screen sizes.