Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Indeed. But if the pile is not actually sold, you'll have to write it down sooner or later. Have we seen Samsung report any write-downs yet?

They don't report them because they get them to hold them forever. They don't report what they actually sell in any month so they can easily make arrangements with the vendors to give them away at a greatly reduced price with the purchase of another Samsung phone.  

• Reply 22 of 104
    blowbotblowbot Posts: 9member

I guess some people want bigger video whether the colors are perfect or not. I haven't tried a Samsung myself.

• Reply 23 of 104
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Ah, the old sold vs. shipped argument. It's a valid argument when a company posts impressive shipping numbers but poor profits. 

I don't think that's the case with Samsung (unless they're cooking the books too).

• Reply 24 of 104
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Every time I see someone pull out an S4 I'm stunned. Sorry, but it's true. The way they tapered the sides with the silver it looks way thinner and more elegant than the iPhone brick. Also I think the screen proportions are different. I like them better. The gigantic size I could take or leave, but I'm not surprised it's a hit.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

F-A-L-S-E.  Color accuracy is the same between the S4 and iphone 5. This is an old perception of OLED screens

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

If Apple move to IGZO and combined with the new iOS7 white background look, Samsung wont be able to replicated the new UI look. Look at the display power consumption table. The S4 OLED will drain its battery with a white background UI. The iphone 5 would still be good and IGZO screens would rock with that kind of UI. Android wont be able to copy iOS7 look and feel without destroying there smartphone battery life.

When an unbiased reviewer compares it's still true.  http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-Comparison-Galaxy-S4-vs-iPhone-5-vs-Xperia-Z-vs-One-vs-Galaxy-S-III-vs-Lumia-920_id3286

After all is said and done, it becomes evident that the quality LCD displays like those of the Apple iPhone 5 and HTC One are unsurpassed when it comes to overall image quality with their sharp, lively and realistic visuals.

However, Samsung is making big moves forward with each new major release. Its AMOLED technology has transformed from cold and pixelized to surprisingly authentic and artifact-free. The Galaxy S4's Super AMOLED screen is an improvement over its predecessor in every possible way, but this comparison showed us that there's still quite a bit of room for improvement.

• Reply 26 of 104
    blowbot wrote: »
    I was just in Singapore and lots of people have them, apparently the video experience is superior to the iPhone.

I feel sad that so many people u know have eyes problems . They can't see white .
  • Reply 27 of 104
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

Verizon is running a promotion on Galaxy S4 for $125...Launched in May, and discounted in July.  There is really pent-up demand.

Oh....and you can find the iPhone 5 for $99 depending on where you look....like BestBuy..
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/22/att-99-iphone-5-promotion/
  • Reply 28 of 104
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

Every article Appleinsider publishes about Samsung strengthens my thinking that Apple is now a follower and Samsung the leader.

So AppleInsider's decision to post articles about Samsung is evidence to you that Apple is now a follower?  Yeah, that makes sense... image

• Reply 29 of 104
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

F-A-L-S-E.  Color accuracy is the same between the S4 and iphone 5. This is an old perception of OLED screens

If Apple move to IGZO and combined with the new iOS7 white background look, Samsung wont be able to replicated the new UI look. Look at the Display Power Consumption table. The S4 OLED will drain its battery with a white background UI. The iphone 5 would still be good and IGZO screens would rock with that kind of UI. Android wont be able to copy iOS7 look and feel without destroying there smartphone battery life.

imo the bigger battery on the low cost iphone is to manage good battery life with iOS7 on a regular LED/LCD display.

Did you read the report you linked to?

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_12.html

"Somewhat Large

132 % Standard Mode

122 % Movie Mode"

The color gamut is to wide on the GS4 (this makes images looks gaudy and ugly color wise). So far, OLED have consistently had horrible color and, worse, color that shifts quickly with age.

• Reply 30 of 104
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    IGZO. Again with the IGZO.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    If Apple only SOLD 20 million iPhones it would be a huge disappointment on Wall Street and Apple would be doomed. Oh, wait... Apple is already doomed. So, even if Samsung only shipped 20 million Galaxy S4s, Apple is still getting trounced in market share. I hear Google is activating about a billion Android smartphones a day, so by the end of the year Apple will only have like 5% of the smartphone market. Profit share will still be at 70%, though. I really don't understand why Wall Street is so enamored with Android OS and Google. I mean, seriously, with Google close to $900 a share and Apple only around $420 a share, it isn't as though Google is lapping Apple in revenue and profits or dominating mobile profit share. Illogical stock market.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

If Apple move to IGZO and combined with the new iOS7 white background look, Samsung wont be able to replicated the new UI look. Look at the Display Power Consumption table. The S4 OLED will drain its battery with a white background UI. The iphone 5 would still be good and IGZO screens would rock with that kind of UI. Android wont be able to copy iOS7 look and feel without destroying there smartphone battery life.

imo the bigger battery on the low cost iphone is to manage good battery life with iOS7 on a regular LED/LCD display, which can be mass produce at a low cost.

How can "very good" and "excellent" be the same? Spin much?

• Reply 33 of 104
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

They don't report them because they get them to hold them forever. They don't report what they actually sell in any month so they can easily make arrangements with the vendors to give them away at a greatly reduced price with the purchase of another Samsung phone.  

• Reply 34 of 104
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    richl wrote: »
    Ah, the old sold vs. shipped argument. It's a valid argument when a company posts impressive shipping numbers but poor profits. 

I don't think that's the case with Samsung (unless they're cooking the books too).

Samsung misleading shipment numbers don't necesserally hide poor profits, they are used to inflate market share numbers, which seem to be more important to some analysts than profits.

Is it so hard to believe that those 20 millions S4s could be sold over a period of 3-5 months or even more? This would not be abnormal for a consumer electronic company. Can you find any evidence that they're selling as fast as they're shipping? I bet the S4 supplies are not constrained in any way.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

but, but its unit "ship", not sold right?

But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?

• Reply 36 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

that tells that you like the artificial flavors/colors.

All the colors on the Samsung screen are not true. Wake up.

Video is not all about HD and/or screen size.

How a person can like a Samsung phone?  What is happenning to the world?

You are ignorant about the colour saturation.  You can set the colour fidelity on the S4 to be as neutral as the iP5.

• Reply 37 of 104
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Apple is doomed!!!!

Why is this on AppleInsider in the first place? Last I looked this was called AppleInsider, not SamsungInsider. 

Just because you mention the iPhone in the last paragraph, doesn't make it Mac news worthy. 

You could always try to bury your head in the sand. It works! If you don't find out about "something", that "something" will just magically vanish! image

• Reply 38 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

When an unbiased reviewer compares it's still true.  http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-Comparison-Galaxy-S4-vs-iPhone-5-vs-Xperia-Z-vs-One-vs-Galaxy-S-III-vs-Lumia-920_id3286

After all is said and done, it becomes evident that the quality LCD displays like those of the Apple iPhone 5 and HTC One are unsurpassed when it comes to overall image quality with their sharp, lively and realistic visuals.

However, Samsung is making big moves forward with each new major release. Its AMOLED technology has transformed from cold and pixelized to surprisingly authentic and artifact-free. The Galaxy S4's Super AMOLED screen is an improvement over its predecessor in every possible way, but this comparison showed us that there's still quite a bit of room for improvement.

That 'unbiased' reviewer is as clueless as anyone else who doesn't change the colour profile before making the comparison.  Anandtech, for instance, knows to do this.

Imagine if TV set reviewers only reviewed a TV set with it still set to vivid mode, as used to grab attention in stores.  They would be held in contempt as reviewers by discerning buyers.

• Reply 39 of 104
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?

I don't think the question is necessarily implying that Samsung isn't selling *any* units.  If that was the case, clearly they wouldn't be able to sustain that.  But it is a fair to question of those 20 million shipped phones, how many are in the hands of actual customers and how many are going to end up being sold at a huge discount to make room for the S5 when it starts shipping?

Also clearly Samsung (and others) have chosen to use shipped rather than sold for a particular reason, most likely because they feel it makes them look better against the competition.  Apple has decided to use sold for their own reasons as well.  Personally, I question the motives of using shipped rather than sold -- until something is sold, there is no revenue.  Using shipped feels like they are propping up their numbers to make it look like they are doing better than they are.  I'm not saying they are doing horrible and that they have no sales, just that they are probably making their numbers look bigger to keep investors (and competitors) in the dark about what their market actually looks like.

• Reply 40 of 104
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Did you read the report you linked to?

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_12.html

"Somewhat Large

132 % Standard Mode

122 % Movie Mode"

The color gamut is to wide on the GS4 (this makes images looks gaudy and ugly color wise). So far, OLED have consistently had horrible color and, worse, color that shifts quickly with age.

The reality is that the display on the S4 is miles ahead of what was used on the S3. You can not dispute this point. You are also correct that there is still a gap especially when it comes to solid white background where the S4 will look slightly grayish compared to an HTC One or and iPhone. But the reality is unlike a TV where people would really notice these things especially if they are watching a 2-hr blu-ray movie , on a phone you really are less likely to notice or care. The colors may not be "true" but they are bright and you just don't hear many people complaining about the colors or the display. In fact you hear the opposite and they say the display is so much nicer and brighter than their previous phones and they love the display. For color purists this might be an unimaginable horror but the reality is the general public do not notice or care about such things. There is still a gap but it has closed to the point that most people don't care and are very satisfied. If color were truly that important then people would be buying more monitors from companies like iiyama or Apple instead of Dell and Acer. Professionals that rely on color accuracy care and buy those monitors but the public is quite content with their  $275 Acer LED monitor. The S4 has a display that is not only "good enough" it is better than anything they have owned before.