Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

A girl in my daughters workplace got one of these and the shit she's been taking because of it's size has been ferocious.

It doesn't help that she can't operate the thing either.

• Reply 62 of 104
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Cult of Mac has Cult of Android and they post a lot of Cult of Android articles on Cult of Mac.  Mac Rumors is far more Mac Centric than any of them.

Yeah, I go to Mac Rumors more than Cult of Mac, so I have probably just been on  good days.

I was aware of Cult of Android.  Seems like AppleInsider needs a Android version (looks like androidinsider.com is taken).

• Reply 63 of 104
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    C'mon. We all see this before. Big number when they want to hype something then the number for a full quarter didn't match those initial spectacular numbers. Or are you easily fooled by Samsung?

Quite so...then it's a hearty meal of schadenfreude to follow :D
  • Reply 64 of 104
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I may be a nobody, according to your definition, but at least I'm a realistic nobody.

You are a somebody just like me. But like I said you are here on a tech forum so people like you and me don't really represent the general public very well. Most people that don't frequent sites like this have no idea what AMOLED, DPI, color gamut, or anything else means. All they know is the size of the display and that that it says 1080P since they recognize that term from their TV's. That is the point I am trying to make is that non-tech folk which is 99% of the buying public don't care and don't know any better. To them the S4 looks great and far better than the S3. 

• Reply 65 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Your premise is incorrect.  (This has been gone over so many times, it should be a sticky.)

When Apple says "sold", they mean the same thing as Samsung does with "shipped".   That is, units sold directly to end users from a company store, plus all the units sold to retailers.

The only difference is that Apple counts a shipment as a sale when it leaves their warehouse, whereas Samsung counts a shipment as a sale when it arrives at the retailer.  The effect is the same.

Again, it means the same thing.  They both get the revenue when the unit is bought by the retailer.

Both report lost revenue from returns separately.  (Only Blackberry actually waits to report sales revenue until they're sure of a device not being returned.)   This info is from each company's official filings.

T<span style="line-height:1.231;">here are multiple examples of Apple's sales numbers looking great one quarter, and dropping the next one, due to retailers still having overstock.</span>

This buying cycle happens to every company.  It's <span style="line-height:1.231;">why the only way to tell how well something is really selling, is to check sales/revenues over several quarters to see how they average out.</span>

Apple also indicates what's in inventory. Somehow peeps can calculate sold by subtracting inventory from shipped.
  • Reply 66 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

So because Appleinsider decides to post an article about Samsung that somehow effects your perception of Apple? That seems quite odd considering Apple has nothing to do with Appleinsider

If I wanted to read about Samsung's deeds (good or bad), I'd read a general news site like Engadget, not one supposedly dedicated to Apple products and news.

• Reply 67 of 104
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

I don't get this blog's infatuation with Android and Samsung. Other than intentionally troll-baiting readers and getting clicks that is. Android blogs that I follow such as Droid-Life very rarely bring up Apple in their news stories and when they do it's often just a shy poking fun, or even paying a compliment. Maybe it's time to fill your pages with App store releases and game reviews or something. Please just talk more about iPhone 'stuff', you don't even have to be picky. Just stop shooting spitballs and riling up the iBots. 

• Reply 68 of 104
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    The anal-ists already know that the Samdung 4S isn't selling as well as they expected. Fortunately they are hammering Samdung's stock now for a change.
    And shipping doesn't mean selling. Especially when Samdung often times gives phones away with every one you purchase. Apple never has done that to make there actual sales numbers, not shipments go up.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

The anal-ists already know that the Samdung 4S isn't selling as well as they expected. Fortunately they are hammering Samdung's stock now for a change.

And shipping doesn't mean selling. Especially when Samdung often times gives phones away with every one you purchase. Apple never has done that to make there actual sales numbers, not shipments go up.

I rest my case. Keep working to improve the AI community with articles that attract these people.

• Reply 70 of 104
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Samsung hard at work... Spreading missinformation.....
    Low life bribers!
  • Reply 71 of 104
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    koop wrote: »
    I don't get this blog's infatuation with Android and Samsung. Other than intentionally troll-baiting readers and getting clicks that is. Android blogs that I follow such as Droid-Life very rarely bring up Apple in their news stories and when they do it's often just a shy poking fun, or even paying a compliment. Maybe it's time to fill your pages with App store releases and game reviews or something. Please just talk more about iPhone 'stuff', you don't even have to be picky. Just stop shooting spitballs and riling up the iBots. 
    If u believe Samsung and its followers, in general, are an innocent class act group of people U have been living under a rock.
    This company has is nothing more than a bribing , manipulating, lowlife entity who has zero reservation to stab friends in the back and pull any immoral trick in the bag to mislead the market and sell one more phone or etc.
    I have Zero respect for this company and the lying low life bribed bashers they buy to blog on their behalf!
    And no .. Few years back i did not perceive them as i described above.
    Their lowlife ways of going about business is what brought this to them.
    And more and more people are realizing this now !
  • Reply 72 of 104
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I may be a nobody, according to your definition, but at least I'm a realistic nobody.

You are a somebody just like me. But like I said you are here on a tech forum so people like you and me don't really represent the general public very well. Most people that don't frequent sites like this have no idea what AMOLED, DPI, color gamut, or anything else means. All they know is the size of the display and that that it says 1080P since they recognize that term from their TV's. That is the point I am trying to make is that non-tech folk which is 99% of the buying public don't care and don't know any better. To them the S4 looks great and far better than the S3. 

Hmm. Calling AI a tech forum is stretching it a bit. Sadly there's less and less interesting material on Apple tech and for quite a while just a lot of hate tirades.

• Reply 73 of 104
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The iPhone 5 is just now starting to be discounted.

When was the S4 released?

If Apple started allowing huge discounting of their flagship phone just a few months after release, people would be hammering them.

Samsung? Gets a pass.

no....you are correct...in that the S4 is being reduced beore th IP5. No disputing that point......but you can get it at reduced prices......But they only release the iPhone once a year. Samsung releases products much much sooner than that. thye can afford to reduce this model beacsue they have something else coming soon...that is good and bad......
  • Reply 74 of 104
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?
    the difference is when Samsung was forced to supply real sales figures in court it was nowhere near the shipped numbers floated.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    You could always try to bury your head in the sand. It works! If you don't find out about "something", that "something" will just magically vanish! :D
    The key is we lead busy lives and prefer to selectively give our time to things we care about. We don't care about Samsung so we don't visit their fan sites. We do care about Apple and until recently I have enjoyed visiting Apple's fan sites and rarely felt I was being intruded on by promoters from another platform.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I can ship 20 million units of rubber dogshit. TODAY.

You are bluffing. You cannot ship 20 million rubber dogshits today.
    Impressed?

:smokey:

No.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    gwmac wrote: »
    I have checked. My best friend has an S4 and I have an iPhone 5. I have spent a lot of time looking and using his phone just to check it out. I have done side by side comparisons. Both of of us play a game called Modern War and opened up that app side by side. It looked gorgeous on the S4 as it did on my iPhone 5. But because the display was just so much larger you can see nearly your whole base on the S4 but you have to scroll and zoom a lot on the iPhone to see your base. It just made the game play a far better experience on the S4. The colors really popped out at me and I could easily get used to that. It may not have been as realistic but so what? It looked great and I just don't think anyone outside of tech forums care about that. Display size trumps color accuracy for a lot of people. 
    I don't think its a lot of people. The ugly screen colors distorts what you see so pictures you are taking don't look right. I can tell a Samsung photo on facebook a mile away. They look terrible. That is why with all the market share of Android, the iPhone is still far ahead in instagram post. People won't admit they hate it because they will feel stupid for buying it, but since they can claim to be in the in crowd they keep it.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    krausebe wrote: »
    If Samsung would sell the Galaxy S4 so proper, why they give you a Galaxy S4 for no money if you buy a LED TV, at least in Germany. Looks like they need to push shipments, regardless of the money they will loose. But don't blame Samsung they did and do what they can do best copy successful ideas and products. Or with the words of a chinese guy: We found it worth to be copied.

As long as they can produce more than they can sell (regardless of how many they ARE selling), there is no harm in bundling. More phones in wild have potential to attract more new customers. Might be S4 sales are lagging in Germany/Europe compared to other premium markets, for example; I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Sony is more competitive with Samsung in Europe than in US.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    cnocbui wrote: »

That 'unbiased' reviewer is as clueless as anyone else who doesn't change the colour profile before making the comparison.  Anandtech, for instance, knows to do this.

Imagine if TV set reviewers only reviewed a TV set with it still set to vivid mode, as used to grab attention in stores.  They would be held in contempt as reviewers by discerning buyers.
    So, comparing a phone the way it with be used be the public since that is how samsung ships them and intends for them to be used is clueless. Clueless would be to assume that anyone but a tech head would be changing the profile. Most non techs can barely figure those phones out which accounts for the low internet usage. The next co-worker who asks me to help them figure out something on and Android phone the got talked into will get an ear full.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?
    These phones are not sold if they were they would be yelling it from the rooftops. Since they don't seem to ever discontinue a phone its easy to do inventory swaps and send the unsold phones to another market. This also explains the quick release of a new phone. Keep in mind the S3 was a year old when the S4 was released. The other phones they showed recently came right after news of poor sales came out. Sounds like they are covering their tracks to maintain good press