Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]

1568101114

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 275
    walkopwalkop Posts: 12member
    povilas wrote: »
    It's a race to the bottom already and no one will bother patching this.
    It has already been effectively patched. Yes, it remains a serious issue for people who sideload without taking any precautions, but that is an extremely small portion of users (yes, a fair amount sideload, but even less do so without taking any precautions first).

    The closest comparison to sideloading is jailbreaking. If you go outside the walled garden, you take risks. It just so happens that the walls in Google's garden are a little lower from the start; thats what a lot of people love about Android, the flexibility without having to sideload, root, whatever.
  • Reply 142 of 275
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Walkop View Post





    The closest comparison to sideloading is jailbreaking.


     


    Jailbreaking iOS is the same as rooting an Android device.


     


    Sideloading just means installing apps outside of the official sources (Google Play or Apple's App Store).

  • Reply 143 of 275
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Walkop View Post





    It has already been effectively patched. Yes, it remains a serious issue for people who sideload without taking any precautions, but that is an extremely small portion of users (yes, a fair amount sideload, but even less do so without taking any precautions first).



    The closest comparison to sideloading is jailbreaking. If you go outside the walled garden, you take risks. It just so happens that the walls in Google's garden are a little lower from the start; thats what a lot of people love about Android, the flexibility without having to sideload, root, whatever.


     


    Keep it up man :)


     


    I gave up back on page 3. 

  • Reply 144 of 275
    OMG I think I have malware on my Nexus 4! My status bar is becoming transparent and changes color when I enter some apps! Look.

    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27894/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27895/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27896/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27897/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

    Oops, never mind, nothing to see here. Just my fully customizable Paranoid Android setup.
  • Reply 145 of 275
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    A flaw this big in iOS would be endlessly and mercilessly be flogged in the tech press and lampooned on late night TV talk shows. And your lot would not defend iOS. So, quid pro quo, baby.


    iOS had some critical vulnerabilities that got a free pass in the tech press. How about the exploits that allowed JailbreakMe to be possible merely by visiting a web page in Safari? Fortunately, those exploits were only used to jailbreak at the time, but the ramifications could have been horrendous if a malicious developer decided to create a page to install malware or even brick a phone.

  • Reply 146 of 275
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


     




     


     


    Fake, just like Samsung

  • Reply 147 of 275


    I've already spoken too much about this.  But if I can think of something like this, others definitely have.  But I also don't want to give people any ideas either.


     


    Needless to say, such an endeavour would require skills above and beyond a script kiddie.

  • Reply 148 of 275
    walkopwalkop Posts: 12member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


     


    Jailbreaking iOS is the same as rooting an Android device.


     


    Sideloading just means installing apps outside of the official sources (Google Play or Apple's App Store).



    Actually, you may be more accurate here. Technically, you cannot side-load without jailbreaking on iOS; which is why I used that example. Does jailbreaking give you access to the core file system? Full system-level permissions? That's one thing on iOS I've never really been sure about.

  • Reply 149 of 275
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member


    say it with me: open wins.

  • Reply 150 of 275
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Walkop View Post


    Actually, you may be more accurate here. Technically, you cannot side-load without jailbreaking on iOS; which is why I used that example. Does jailbreaking give you access to the core file system? Full system-level permissions? That's one thing on iOS I've never really been sure about.



     


    I believe it does.  Both Android and iOS are based on Unix.  Rooting/jailbreaking gives the user root/superuser access to the OS.

  • Reply 151 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


     


    I believe it does.  Both Android and iOS are based on Unix.  Rooting/jailbreaking gives the user root/superuser access to the OS.



    Android is NOT Unix.  It's Unix-like.  iOS is based on Unix.  Go look up the term Linux.  It is like Unix, but NOT Unix.

  • Reply 152 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post


    say it with me: open wins.



    Open is NOT better.   The way Android is done, it's NOT consistent from brand/model to brand/model, the updating process is WORSE than any other platform (Open or Closed), there is far more security problems, and the level of support sucks.  There are pros and cons to every platform.   Choose which one has the least amount of hurt, which in this case is Apple.  Grow up.  Android is just a Bag Of Hurt.

  • Reply 153 of 275
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Android is NOT Unix.  It's Unix-like.  iOS is based on Unix.  Go look up the term Linux.  It is like Unix, but NOT Unix.



     


    I didn't say Android was Unix, but you are correct about Linux.  Linux is not technically Unix, it's considered "Unix-like".


     


    The crux of what I was getting at about rooting and jailbreaking giving a user superuser access still applies.

  • Reply 154 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post


    say it with me: open wins.



    I think it still does. I will always, always prefer an opened solution over a closed one but I'm also programmer and I know what I am doing. I have never had a virus, malware or hidden root kit installed on any of my devices. All that being said though, I think it's time for manufactures to close up shipped versions of Android, no more side loading of apps, it's to much responsibility for some people. If  a user wants a opened version of Android he/she can visit XDA and download one of the hundreds of ROM's available. Which by the way is what I recommend doing anyway if you own a Android device, the community will always patch their OS before the MF does. Plus you get updates more frequently, longer support for devices and a lot more features.


     


    Once Ubuntu Touch and Titzen(MeegOS) is released though I think I too will abandon Android.

  • Reply 155 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    I think it still does. I will always, always prefer an opened solution over a closed one but I'm also programmer and I know what I am doing. I have never had a virus, malware or hidden root kit installed on any of my devices. All that being said though, I think it's time for manufactures to close up shipped versions of Android, no more side loading of apps, it's to much responsibility for some people. If  a user wants a opened version of Android he/she can visit XDA and download one of the hundreds of ROM's available. Which by the way it what I recommend doing anyway if you own a Android device, the community will always patch their OS before the MF does. Plus you get updates more frequently, longer support for devices and a lot more features.


     


    Once Ubuntu Touch and Titzen(MeegOS) is released though I think I to will abandon Android.



    relic,


     


    Your line of reasoning is about the dumbest I've seen in a long time.  here's why.


     


    1.  99% of the population that uses a smartphone is NOT a programmer.


    2.  Most of the people out there don't WANT to become programmers.


    3.  You waste a LOT of time doing what you are doing just to USE your smartphone?  Doesn't sound to smart to me.  That seems rather stupid and a lot of wasted hours you could be doing something else.  Does Google pay you to root your system?  Not unless you work for Google.


    4.  You will never be satisfied with just using a product the way the MFG designed the product.  Smartphones, inherently aren't designed to do what you are doing.  What you are doing is an after thought to make updates available without waiting for the MFG to update their model product because of the flaws of the Android platform.  Even Microsoft isn't stupid to release their "Open" OS in the same manner.


    5.  So, doing what you're doing doesn't have to wait for Google to release a patch to fix a security flaw?


    6.  Apple has more third party apps than Android, so there are a LOT of apps that you CAN'T run on your Android.  If you switch to Ubuntu Touch or Titzen, there will be even LESS apps to run.


    7.  You say you are a programmer?  What platform(s) do you write code for to earn a living?  And what kind of living do you make?


    8.  Saying you are a programmer and you "know what you are doing" should not be said in the same sentence.  For a programmer to say that Android is Unix indicates that you DON'T know what you are talking about.  Even I knew Android is not Unix and I'm not a programmer.


     


    Bottom Line.  It seems as though you shouldn't be on AppleInsider since you tend to put out a lot of misleading, misguided information that serves no one other than your arrogant, narcissistic ego.


     


    By your thinking, the only people that should use Android are programmers that want to write code for Android and are willing to waste a LOT of time with these XDA ROMS just to keep up to date on what is really one of the most pathetic excuses for an Operating System platform ever to be released.


     


    Enjoy your bag of hurt and Good Luck with ALL THAT!

  • Reply 156 of 275
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


     


    For a programmer to say that Android is Unix indicates that you DON'T know what you are talking about.  Even I knew Android is not Unix and I'm not a programmer.



     


    No one in this thread stated that Android is Unix.  Relic never even used the word Unix.  You're thinking of one of my posts and you still seem to misunderstand what I was saying.  If you can't see how rooting Android to get superuser access has a basis in Unix then you may want to read up a little about the subject.  It would appear that it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

  • Reply 157 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


     


    No one in this thread stated that Android is Unix.  Relic never even used the word Unix.  You're thinking of one of my posts and you still seem to misunderstand what I was saying.  If you can't see how rooting Android to get superuser access has a basis in Unix then you may want to read up a little about the subject.  It would appear that it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about.



    You said "Both Android and iOS are based on Unix"  I don't know how you can say that no on in this thread stated that Android is Unix.


     


    I think you are just trying to justify your pathetic hobby phone which is based on the Android OS.  That's all you are REALLY saying.


     


    As Jerry Seinfeld says "Yikes, Good luck with ALL THAT."


     


  • Reply 158 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


     


    No one in this thread stated that Android is Unix.  Relic never even used the word Unix.  You're thinking of one of my posts and you still seem to misunderstand what I was saying.  If you can't see how rooting Android to get superuser access has a basis in Unix then you may want to read up a little about the subject.  It would appear that it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about.



    So what are the reasons other than what you get and how the OS updating process sucks on Android why you or anyone else NEEDS to be a "superuser".  You know that the term "superuser" doesn't mean you're better or smarter than someone else.  




    Just to clarify, a SuperUser is just a special user account used for system administration.  That's all that really means.  It is GENERALLY recommended that MOST application work be done using an ordinary account which does not have the ability to make system-wide changes.


     


    The average person should NOT try to root their Android phone.  THere are potential dangers with doing that just like there are with Jailbreaking an iPhone.


     


    Here are some of the reasons why people SHOULD NOT root their Android phone.


     


    http://pocketnow.com/2013/04/12/avoid-rooting-your-android


     


    Get another hobby other than rooting or jailbreaking your phone.  

  • Reply 159 of 275
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member


    Calm down there, buddy.  They're just phones.


     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Get another hobby other than rooting or jailbreaking your phone.  



     


    No.  image

  • Reply 160 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    relic,


     


    Your line of reasoning is about the dumbest I've seen in a long time.  here's why.


     


    1.  99% of the population that uses a smartphone is NOT a programmer.


    2.  Most of the people out there don't WANT to become programmers.


    3.  You waste a LOT of time doing what you are doing just to USE your smartphone?  Doesn't sound to smart to me.  That seems rather stupid and a lot of wasted hours you could be doing something else.  Does Google pay you to root your system?  Not unless you work for Google.


    4.  You will never be satisfied with just using a product the way the MFG designed the product.  Smartphones, inherently aren't designed to do what you are doing.  What you are doing is an after thought to make updates available without waiting for the MFG to update their model product because of the flaws of the Android platform.  Even Microsoft isn't stupid to release their "Open" OS in the same manner.


    5.  So, doing what you're doing doesn't have to wait for Google to release a patch to fix a security flaw?


    6.  Apple has more third party apps than Android, so there are a LOT of apps that you CAN'T run on your Android.  If you switch to Ubuntu Touch or Titzen, there will be even LESS apps to run.


    7.  You say you are a programmer?  What platform(s) do you write code for to earn a living?  And what kind of living do you make?


    8.  Saying you are a programmer and you "know what you are doing" should not be said in the same sentence.  For a programmer to say that Android is Unix indicates that you DON'T know what you are talking about.  Even I knew Android is not Unix and I'm not a programmer.


     


    Bottom Line.  It seems as though you shouldn't be on AppleInsider since you tend to put out a lot of misleading, misguided information that serves no one other than your arrogant, narcissistic ego.


     


    By your thinking, the only people that should use Android are programmers that want to write code for Android and are willing to waste a LOT of time with these XDA ROMS just to keep up to date on what is really one of the most pathetic excuses for an Operating System platform ever to be released.


     


    Enjoy your bag of hurt and Good Luck with ALL THAT!



     


     


    Mr. drblank, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sign In or Register to comment.