Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]

Comments

• Reply 201 of 276
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Geesh, no wonder why you hate Android phones, that is one gigantic piece of crap pre-paid phone. There is a Android 4.1 ROM floating out there for it, How To -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpeRnPnuG8, ROM -> http://www.4shared.com/file/xnZKdIFj/GASMOD.html , ODIN -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899 hey it's better then nothing. I can compile a Jelly Bean version for you but it will take a couple of days, taking the kids to Disney Land Paris over the weekend, yay for me.

I have a question.  How many different smartphones have you owned and currently own?  I've only had one which I bought 1 1/2 years ago with no problems.  I wanted to wait a little while until the market matured a little before jumping in.

• Reply 202 of 276
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Gee I got in on this one late.  For anyone done relishing in negativity toward Android, or has an Android device or a friend with one that wants info on avoiding the exploit (it's pretty simple, just don't allow unknown sources), here's the AC article:

http://www.androidcentral.com/making-sense-latest-android-security-scare

• Reply 203 of 276
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Since you're not even able to tell the difference between a Mac virus and a Windows 95 virus, why are you even commenting on this thread?

Excuse me, you need to read my posts, I created a virus on my Mac PowerPC 6100 with a 486 card that used a W95 for W95. I know the difference, please don't post before you have all of the facts straight.

• Reply 204 of 276
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What happens if you brick the phone?  Can it happen?  Yup.  Does it happen?  It may not be frequent, but it does happen.  When it does.  You now have to buy a new one because it's not supported/covered under warranty.  Right? 

So, what would be the process for someone that has never rooted a Android phone go about from start to finish on updating a Samsung Galaxy Admire that has Gingerbread on it and what would they end up with?  Explain the entire process from start to finish for some one that has never done it before that's a complete novice. 

Samsung phones are practically un-brickable.  The Odin app with the stock image can take you right back to stock if anything goes wrong.  I don't think I have ever seen any reports of a truly bricked Samsung phone on XDA.  You see people posting that they have bricked their phones.  But they haven't.  And have been able to recover them.  HTC phones on the other hand can definitely get bricked if you are not careful with S-OFF.

Relic explained how to use Odin to install a custom ROM.  And while the process itself is really simple and takes just a few minutes, the entire activity is not.  It takes hours of reading (at least I do that) to ensure that you understand what you are doing and get everything downloaded and installed on your PC before starting the rooting process (including getting the stock ROM in case something goes wrong).  But these One Click apps have been getting really really good and I guess someone could just download and install without doing the reading and it would work for most people.  But I don't like to do that.  As far as a novice is concerned, it depends on how tech savvy the person is.  If the person is tech savvy, any novice can follow the instructions on XDA and do it.  If the person is not tech savvy and is a friend or relative I do it for them.  I'd never expect my sister or wife to be able to install it.  Not going to happen.  Not because they can't do it if they set their minds to it, but because they simply don't care and don't want to.  And that's the vast majority of the people.  For them, I either recommend that they get a Nexus phone or for some, an iPhone.

A lot of people blame manufacturers and carriers for not getting their phones updated.  I blame them partially.  I reserve most of the blame for Google.  This is one area that Apple nailed.  Google could have modularized the OS with an hardware abstraction layer that can host the drivers and radio binaries of the device and ensured that manufacturers have to provide it to them for the latest OS before it is released.  If they fail to do that, Google threatens to take away their access to Google services on their upcoming phones.  Google should then provide the OS for each device on their web site that people can update from.  It's not that simple of course.  For one, manufacturers customize not just the launcher, but have deep tentacles into the OS.  Consumers would lose that if they update from Google.  That's essentially what's happening with the HTC One and Galaxy S4, that Google is selling on the Play Store.  Manufacturers need to put their apps (camera, gestures etc.) on the Play Store.  The decoupling would make it cleaner in the first place and can be updated independently - just like Google has started doing with all their apps.  I'll bet there is a significant majority of people that don't care about updating the OS.  But for those that do, Google should provide the opportunity to do so.  Microsoft has been doing this for decades for Windows on PC.  There is no reason, Google can't do the same for Android - which is based on Linux anyway.  There is one caveat though.  I read somewhere that carriers take 6 months to test the phones out with the new OS.  I don't buy it because timelines of OS updates on Nexus devices have shown that there simply wasn't enough time to have done 6 months of testing and get the new OS developed and released.  Apple is clearly still working on iOS7.  So there is no way that there is going to be 6 months of testing by carriers worldwide before it's released this fall.

• Reply 205 of 276

Quote:

I have a question.  How many different smartphones have you owned and currently own?  I've only had one which I bought 1 1/2 years ago with no problems.  I wanted to wait a little while until the market matured a little before jumping in.

Oh geesh, that is a hard question. I started early with smartphones, Ericsson r380, every Nokia Communicator ever built. Android phones, just 2, last one being a Galaxy Note and a Galaxy SII  before that. Currently I have a Nokia N9 (I have the white 64GB model still in it's box, collectors item for me), Nokia Pureview 808, Blackberry Z10 (daily driver) and I just ordered a Jolly Phone. My husband has an iPhone 5, daughter iPhone 4S(her contract is up in August so hopefully the iPhone 5S is out) and son Nokia 820, he has a lot of friends on Xbox Live and the Widows 8 platform is a great phone for that kind of thing. The HTC One is quite a nice phone, one of the best looking screens I have ever seen but it makes sense to wait. I hate to mention Windows 8 again but Nokia is coming out with a 40MP EOS version, I have the Symbian one the 808 and if photos is your thing there is no substitute.

• Reply 206 of 276
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Admit it Relic, you don't know the difference between a Mac virus and a Windows 95 virus.  Just like I think Android is Unix.  image

• Reply 207 of 276

Quote:

Geesh, no wonder why you hate Android phones, that is one gigantic piece of crap pre-paid phone. There is a Android 4.1 ROM floating out there for it, How To -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpeRnPnuG8, ROM -> http://www.4shared.com/file/xnZKdIFj/GASMOD.html , ODIN -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899 hey it's better then nothing. I can compile a Jelly Bean version for you but it will take a couple of days, taking the kids to Disney Land Paris over the weekend, yay for me.

Here's what I don't get.  Samsung has a $150 unlocked phone that's essentially a new phone that runs Gingerbread which is a 3+ year old OS and the mfg has not released a 4.2.2 update for it to get it to the latest OS.  If Apple had their iPhone 3G on the market, which doesn't support iOS 6 or the upcoming iOS 7, and it was running iOS 4 out of the box, everyone would be ripping Apple a new orifice for that, yet no one really complains that Samsung is doing it with the Admire.   The Android sheep still walk into stores and buys the Admire running a 3+ year old OS.  That to me is hypocrisy and stupidity rolled up into one.  If I was a journalist, I would be ripping Samsung, Google, etc. every time they did something that Apple and even Microsoft wouldn't do.  That's like Microsoft selling a brand new computer loaded with Vista on it and not allowing it to run Windows 8, or even Windows 7 for that matter.  Microsoft or what ever PC mfg would get ripped a new one for that.  Even HP and other still market Windows 7 PCs because their market hasn't fully adopted Windows 8 yet, so they are still pumping out Windows 7 computers since their users still want to run Windows 7.  Apple users tend to want the latest and greatest OS as soon as possible and that's why they have a faster adoption rate.  Android?  Still after several years, Gingerbread is the most widely used Android phone.  That's spells trouble.  I'm surprised the media hasn't ripped Samsung, Google, etc. a lot more than they have.  Dumb journalists.

• Reply 208 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Samsung phones are practically un-brickable.  The Odin app with the stock image can take you right back to stock if anything goes wrong.  I don't think I have ever seen any reports of a truly bricked Samsung phone on XDA.  You see people posting that they have bricked their phones.  But they haven't.  And have been able to recover them.  HTC phones on the other hand can definitely get bricked if you are not careful with S-OFF.

Relic explained how to use Odin to install a custom ROM.  And while the process itself is really simple and takes just a few minutes, the entire activity is not.  It takes hours of reading (at least I do that) to ensure that you understand what you are doing and get everything downloaded and installed on your PC before starting the rooting process (including getting the stock ROM in case something goes wrong).  But these One Click apps have been getting really really good and I guess someone could just download and install without doing the reading and it would work for most people.  But I don't like to do that.  As far as a novice is concerned, it depends on how tech savvy the person is.  If the person is tech savvy, any novice can follow the instructions on XDA and do it.  If the person is not tech savvy and is a friend or relative I do it for them.  I'd never expect my sister or wife to be able to install it.  Not going to happen.  Not because they can't do it if they set their minds to it, but because they simply don't care and don't want to.  And that's the vast majority of the people.  For them, I either recommend that they get a Nexus phone or for some, an iPhone.

A lot of people blame manufacturers and carriers for not getting their phones updated.  I blame them partially.  I reserve most of the blame for Google.  This is one area that Apple nailed.  Google could have modularized the OS with an hardware abstraction layer that can host the drivers and radio binaries of the device and ensured that manufacturers have to provide it to them for the latest OS before it is released.  If they fail to do that, Google threatens to take away their access to Google services on their upcoming phones.  Google should then provide the OS for each device on their web site that people can update from.  It's not that simple of course.  For one, manufacturers customize not just the launcher, but have deep tentacles into the OS.  Consumers would lose that if they update from Google.  That's essentially what's happening with the HTC One and Galaxy S4, that Google is selling on the Play Store.  Manufacturers need to put their apps (camera, gestures etc.) on the Play Store.  The decoupling would make it cleaner in the first place and can be updated independently - just like Google has started doing with all their apps.  I'll bet there is a significant majority of people that don't care about updating the OS.  But for those that do, Google should provide the opportunity to do so.  Microsoft has been doing this for decades for Windows on PC.  There is no reason, Google can't do the same for Android - which is based on Linux anyway.  There is one caveat though.  I read somewhere that carriers take 6 months to test the phones out with the new OS.  I don't buy it because timelines of OS updates on Nexus devices have shown that there simply wasn't enough time to have done 6 months of testing and get the new OS developed and released.  Apple is clearly still working on iOS7.  So there is no way that there is going to be 6 months of testing by carriers worldwide before it's released this fall.

Nice post, the Samsung phones really are the easiest to flash. The Samsung Galaxy S3 thread at XDA for example has the original ROM's all ready to go in case you want to role the phone back so there is no need for you to hunt around for them. They even include all of the necessary drivers if you haven't already installed them when you got the phone. The process then, if you feel comfortable that is, should take a person no more then 30 minutes, reading included. Once you feel that you know what your doing future flashing takes minutes to do. Sometimes on a Saturday I'll download 5 or 6 ROM's to test them out.

• Reply 209 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Admit it Relic, you don't know the difference between a Mac virus and a Windows 95 virus.  Just like I think Android is Unix.  image

Yeah, people just don't read the entire post or jump in at the middle thinking they have all of the answers. My English isn't the best to begin with but even I can follow a conversation.

• Reply 210 of 276

Quote:

DroidFTW, you were the one that said the BOTH Android and IOS were Unix.  But you are wrong.  Your English wasn't very good and I'm not going to read into what you say when you make a simple statement like that.  Yeah, I know Android is Unix like in a lot of respects, but you're simple comment said that it was Unix and it isn't. Simple straight forward crap out of YOUR mouth.

Quote:

Yeah, people just don't read the entire post or jump in at the middle thinking they have all of the answers. My English isn't the best to begin with but even I can follow a conversation.

If you say you ran the "virus" under Windows 95, then it's a Windows based "virus" and I don't know if I would even classify it as a virus, per se.  It just sounds like some juvenile code to do something dumb.

• Reply 211 of 276

Quote:

Here's what I don't get.  Samsung has a $150 unlocked phone that's essentially a new phone that runs Gingerbread which is a 3+ year old OS and the mfg has not released a 4.2.2 update for it to get it to the latest OS.  If Apple had their iPhone 3G on the market, which doesn't support iOS 6 or the upcoming iOS 7, and it was running iOS 4 out of the box, everyone would be ripping Apple a new orifice for that, yet no one really complains that Samsung is doing it with the Admire.   The Android sheep still walk into stores and buys the Admire running a 3+ year old OS.  That to me is hypocrisy and stupidity rolled up into one.  If I was a journalist, I would be ripping Samsung, Google, etc. every time they did something that Apple and even Microsoft wouldn't do.  That's like Microsoft selling a brand new computer loaded with Vista on it and not allowing it to run Windows 8, or even Windows 7 for that matter.  Microsoft or what ever PC mfg would get ripped a new one for that.  Even HP and other still market Windows 7 PCs because their market hasn't fully adopted Windows 8 yet, so they are still pumping out Windows 7 computers since their users still want to run Windows 7.  Apple users tend to want the latest and greatest OS as soon as possible and that's why they have a faster adoption rate.  Android?  Still after several years, Gingerbread is the most widely used Android phone.  That's spells trouble.  I'm surprised the media hasn't ripped Samsung, Google, etc. a lot more than they have.  Dumb journalists.

Yeah that sucks and their is no excuse for it, Sony does it too with their prepaid phones. I guess we can't expect Samsung to update these prepaid phones for more then what the warranty covers. It sucks, yes and it really shouldn't be this way. Apple phones are very expensive so thus you expect them to have all of the latest frills for at least a few years. Samsung does updates it phones, when you buy premium, the Samsung SII for instance has a Jellybean update.

• Reply 212 of 276

Quote:

If you say you ran the "virus" under Windows 95, then it's a Windows based "virus" and I don't know if I would even classify it as a virus, per se.  It just sounds like some juvenile code to do something dumb.

All virus's are childish, the Mac PowerPC 6100 was able to run two operating systems, hence the whole deal with the 486 card. The virus I wrote was actually pretty nasty, it would multiply the little dancing guys till the machine ran out of memory and crashed. It was. like I said a project for school, know thy enemy kind of tactics.

• Reply 213 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Gee I got in on this one late.  For anyone done relishing in negativity toward Android, or has an Android device or a friend with one that wants info on avoiding the exploit (it's pretty simple, just don't allow unknown sources), here's the AC article:

http://www.androidcentral.com/making-sense-latest-android-security-scare

Well, it's a Android Central article.  Go figure.  This article wasn't generated from AI, it was from Black Box.   Of course it's not a good idea to get apps from an unreliable source.

I talked with a T-Mobile rep before they started selling iPhones and he was always trying to push Samsung crap down my throat.  He finally admitted to me that he bought a S3 for his father and it had a ton of malware on it and all of the stuff his father downloaded was from Google Play.    Go figure that one out. This was about  6 months ago.

I trust Apple's App Store, and trust Apple for updates. XDA regardless of whatever someone says it a non-profit org that is doing something that is probably going to violate a mfg warranty.  Sorry, that to me is not a trusted source.

I'll wait for the Official Google response thank you very much.  I don't trust these hole in the wall Android sites.  They, to me, aren't a trusted source.

• Reply 214 of 276
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Wow, people still store personal info on their smartphones?  I've steered clear of that even on my iphone. 

• Reply 215 of 276
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

You're English is fine, it's the reading comprehension skills that are lacking in this case.

Quote:

DroidFTW, you were the one that said the BOTH Android and IOS were Unix.  But you are wrong.  Your English wasn't very good and I'm not going to read into what you say when you make a simple statement like that.  Yeah, I know Android is Unix like in a lot of respects, but you're simple comment said that it was Unix and it isn't. Simple straight forward crap out of YOUR mouth.

Just stop.  That's not what I said.  If you still can't understand what I was talking about even though it was explained to you twice in this thread (once by me and once by another member)  then there's not much I can do about it.  I don't expect a third explanation to get through at this point.

If it makes you feel any better I completely agree with you.  Android is not Unix.  No one is arguing with you about that.

• Reply 216 of 276

Quote:

All virus's are childish, the Mac PowerPC 6100 was able to run two operating systems, hence the whole deal with the 486 card. The virus I wrote was actually pretty nasty, it would multiply the little dancing guys till the machine ran out of memory and crashed. It was. like I said a project for school, know thy enemy kind of tactics.

Apple has had a computer that can run two operating systems since the late 70's, now you can run a lot more than just OS X, Windows (just about any recent flavor), you run Linux on a Mac.  One hardware, multiple OSs if you need to do that.  Some do.

I was running CP/M on my Apple II+  back in the 70's.  I was in High school when I started using a computer long before any of my friends, they were still using basic calculators.  My father even bought the CP/M card for it directly from Bill Gates at those user group meeting when Gates, Jobs, and Woz were snot nosed kids pushing their wares on the original users.   Apple, in ways is actually more open than PCs are.  I can run Windows LEGALLY if I want to, even though I won't.

Well, i never wrote viruses like you do.  I would just mess with Res Edit to make the pop up dialog boxes make colorful metaphors to the user and change the little bit mapped graphics to display the bird when it would come up with a standard error message.  It was a way to play jokes on unsuspecting friends with little knowledge of a computer.  It generated lots of laughs.

• Reply 217 of 276

Quote:

You're English is fine, it's the reading comprehension skills that are lacking in this case.

Just stop.  That's not what I said.  If you still can't understand what I was talking about even though it was explained to you twice in this thread (once by me and once by another member)  then there's not much I can do about it.  I don't expect a third explanation to get through at this point.

If it makes you feel any better I completely agree with you.  Android is not Unix.  No one is arguing with you about that.

That's EXACTLY what you said. Unless you went back and edited it.  I understood the rest of your BS, which didn't matter, once you F'd up and said that "BOTH Android and iOS were Unix", that's when i stopped reading any further because you opened up with BS.  Maybe you should work on your English and learn to understand where I'm coming from as well.   The fact is you made a HUGE error in the one statement, I caught you on it. I know you can't argue that Android is NOT Unix and that Linux isn't either. They are very similar in a lot of ways.  Linux to me is the cheap copy of Unix.  I'm actually surprised it's caught on as much as it has.  If I were a CIO of a major corporation, I would have a VERY difficult time buying into it for running servers.  I know a lot of companies are doing it successfully, I just would have a difficult time doing that.  When I was selling hardware to corporations, Linux hadn't caught on.  I was in the industry when companies were running either Unix (HP, IBM, Sun, SGI), Novell, and Windows for most of their servers.  Red Hat hadn't gone public yet. Right before I stopped working for a reselling, the most common were obviously WIndows, and then Sun were the most common that I ran into.  But it depends on the customer.  Free BSD was just starting to catch on.  LInux was out there, but it seemed VERY "hobbyist" at the time.  Obviously, with Red Hat, they have actually made some decent headway.  I think it takes someone to push it and support it to be viable. Red Hat had to figure out how to make money off it.  If guys like Ubuntu, etc. don't figure out how to make money with it, then it'll just be a boutique solution at best.

I have a tough time buying a product when most of my product support is through a non-profit organization that isn't the mfg who's product I'm using.  That to me is just relying on a untrustworthy source.  Call me old fashioned, but I am always a little nervous when relying on some kid's YouTube video on how to update my smartphone because the mfg won't release an official version of it.

• Reply 218 of 276

Quote:

My Comprehension skills are fine if you are able to communicate properly.  Seriously, you f'd up, admit it.  But to STILL not admit that it wasn't worded properly in the first place and to try to attack my comprehension is just being an A$$.

• Reply 219 of 276
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So this is the most devastating malware crisis the world has ever seen, eh?

Kindly tell us, Mr. McLean:  what is the number of users who have actually been affected by this exploit?

:: crickets ::

• Reply 220 of 276
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    99% android devices are vulnerable, but 75% of them either don't connect to internet or can't even download apps (talking about low end, old android os devices in third world countries). So the risk is not that big anyway...lol, not 25% of android high end devices are at risk. Right, fandroids? LOL