Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]

1810121314

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


     


    File-manager, able to connect to a server via VPN with said filemanager, Samba, sideloading of apps, SD Card, multiuser support, able to run "all" apps in the background, free development costs, cross app functionality, keyboard replacement (writing for instance), wacom pen active digitizer, widgets, custom home screens, be able to mount the phone on any computer and see the entire drive without the use of a MP3 player, access to the shell for Python, Perl, change default browser, removable battery, complete control.


     


    I no longer have an Android phone as my work switched to BlackBerry's, the Z10 and Q10. Personal phones are a Nokia Pureview 808 and a soon to be shipped JollyOS Phone. I still have a Motorola Xoom II that I use as a hobby machine and for maintaining my servers, aforementioned file-manager and shell scripts.



    Why do you need access to Python and Perl?  On a smartphone?   REALLY?  Just because you might be able to do it doesn't mean you should.  If was programming, I would use a full fledge computer with a real keyboard, large screen, etc. and leave a smartphone to doing what it's really designed for which is making and receiving phone calls as it's Number 1 priority.  Now I can see why you need to replace your batteries.  You sound like you use it more than you do a computer.  I think you need a laptop with Skype.


     


    So, you carry around 3 or so smartphones?  Shit.  And how many different batteries do you carry around?  Maybe you really need is a Batman Utility belt to store everything.


     


    I still can't figure out why people want to make a smartphone more like a traditional desktop/laptop computer, they aren't designed to completely take over a regular computer.  Some of things on your list I agree with and will be in iOS 7 and maybe Apple will release a larger (4.5inch or larger screen iPhone in the near future).  But some of the things you are talking about make these things far too complicated for the average user and some people like the simplicity of what the iPhone is and how it's used.  I don't want to have to administer my phone like a desktop computer.  I use them differently.  


     


    Jolly OS Phone?  Never heard of it.  Oh NO.  Not another BS attempt at another wannabe smartphone.  Whatever it is, it will most likely come and go..


     


    The company you work for just switched to Blackberry?  You know they are sucking wind financially?  They probably have two ways of going. Either getting bought out or going bankrupt.  They really don't have any traction anymore.  6.8 Million smartphones sold and 100,000 tablets sold?  Those are HORRIBLE numbers.  

  • Reply 182 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


     


    Funny you mentioned that as the most downloaded applications on PirateBay are for OSX, Photoshop being one of the top, I kind of get why Adobe went to an online subscription. Well, I guess you can say that PirateBay has an established history, ;). Buying a Mac doesn't automatically make you moral, in fact OSX and Linux is a favorite with virus and malware writers, the whole you can't infect yourself with your own work shtick. My first virus was written on a Mac PowerPC 6100 with a Intel 486 card in it, nothing to devious, it popped up a cartoon of a stick figure dancing in Win 95, when you clicked on it, it multiplied by two.


     




    Never heard of Pirate Bay, maybe that's where the Hackintosh crowd goes to.

  • Reply 183 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


     


    Funny you mentioned that as the most downloaded applications on PirateBay are for OSX, Photoshop being one of the top, I kind of get why Adobe went to an online subscription. Well, I guess you can say that PirateBay has an established history, ;). Buying a Mac doesn't automatically make you moral, in fact OSX and Linux is a favorite with virus and malware writers, the whole you can't infect yourself with your own work shtick. My first virus was written on a Mac PowerPC 6100 with a Intel 486 card in it, nothing to devious, it popped up a cartoon of a stick figure dancing in Win 95, when you clicked on it, it multiplied by two.


     




     


    OS X is not a favorite for people writing viruses and malware?  BS.  Show me the list of malware and viruses on OS X.  Most of the malware is being written for Android.  Go talk to f-secure, McAfee.  The only thing they seem to be going after for OSX is related to Java and Adobe Flash, but that's also on Windows.  But Flash is ALMOST dead and Java is getting better.  But you don't HAVE to use either.
  • Reply 184 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


     


    Funny you mentioned that as the most downloaded applications on PirateBay are for OSX, Photoshop being one of the top, I kind of get why Adobe went to an online subscription. Well, I guess you can say that PirateBay has an established history, ;). Buying a Mac doesn't automatically make you moral, in fact OSX and Linux is a favorite with virus and malware writers, the whole you can't infect yourself with your own work shtick. My first virus was written on a Mac PowerPC 6100 with a Intel 486 card in it, nothing to devious, it popped up a cartoon of a stick figure dancing in Win 95, when you clicked on it, it multiplied by two.


     




    Your first virus was on a Mac 6100 with a 486 card and it popped up in Windows 95?  Then you virus wasn't Mac OS related, it was Windows 95 related.  Did you write the virus?  If so, then I can see why you have the mentality you do.  Sounds like you might be one of those scum of the earth hackers that everyone wants to just go away and not bother people anymore.

  • Reply 185 of 275
    way2iosway2ios Posts: 1member
    This is the one of the major concern in Android world.
  • Reply 186 of 275
    Here is more on another trojan detected last week by Kasperksy http://www.amongtech.com/new-android-trojan-almost-impossible-to-remove/
  • Reply 187 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    relic,


     


    Your line of reasoning is about the dumbest I've seen in a long time.  here's why.


     


    1.  99% of the population that uses a smartphone is NOT a programmer.


     


    Okay, what's your point?


     


    2.  Most of the people out there don't WANT to become programmers.


     


    Again, what's your point, I never said anything to warrant this response.


     


    3.  You waste a LOT of time doing what you are doing just to USE your smartphone?  Doesn't sound to smart to me.  That seems rather stupid and a lot of wasted hours you could be doing something else.  Does Google pay you to root your system?  Not unless you work for Google.


     


    Your assuming and being an antagonist, there is no time wasted, installing a custom ROM takes minutes and most of them have auto-updater's that rival what was originally shipped with the unit.


     


    4.  You will never be satisfied with just using a product the way the MFG designed the product.  Smartphones, inherently aren't designed to do what you are doing.  What you are doing is an after thought to make updates available without waiting for the MFG to update their model product because of the flaws of the Android platform.  Even Microsoft isn't stupid to release their "Open" OS in the same manner.


     


    No, I wont, because I have certain expectations, if the platform allows me to change it, even goes so far as providing me with the tools to do it then by all means I will. It's inherently ignorant just to except something because that's the way it was shipped. If I have the know how, then by all means I will use it. Microsoft like Apple want to control every aspect of the users experience, that's fine for those who are seeking such things but it's not stupid to release a platform that caters to people like me.


     


    5.  So, doing what you're doing doesn't have to wait for Google to release a patch to fix a security flaw?


     


    The source code is freely available, the community can plug holes much faster then a bureaucracy.


     


    6.  Apple has more third party apps than Android, so there are a LOT of apps that you CAN'T run on your Android.  If you switch to Ubuntu Touch or Titzen, there will be even LESS apps to run.


     


    So be it, Apple didn't start out with all those apps, it took people like me time to write them. Same goes for Ubuntu Touch, however in their case they already have a huge development community to start out with. Titzen is MeegOS, when Nokia discontinued their N9 it left a large whole to fill. Now there is also a company called Yola that is also producing a MeegOS phone so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it. I am also interested in new and different things, yes the iPhone is a nice phone but everyone also has one, I like being different and the phone doesn't offer me anything that I absolutly need. I don't need all of those apps especially games on my phone, I use Evernote, Browser with Flash, Skydrive, FIle-Manager YouTube, GrooveShark, Google Maps, Skype, Mail with POP3 and that's pretty much it. All of which are on my business phone, Blackberry Z10. My personal phone is a Nokia 808 which I have because of the incredible camera and soon a YolaOS phone to develop on and mostly use as a toy.


     


    7.  You say you are a programmer?  What platform(s) do you write code for to earn a living?  And what kind of living do you make?


     


    Yes, C++. C#, Java, Python, Perl, CORBA, Dalvik and I started out with FORTAN and Basic, I've worked for UBS over 18 years, I am the Director of Internal Trading Applications. Asking what kind of living someone makes is quite rude but I will tell you I was offered a job at Deutsche Bank at a starting salary of 180k Euros a year and I turned it down.


     


    8.  Saying you are a programmer and you "know what you are doing" should not be said in the same sentence.  For a programmer to say that Android is Unix indicates that you DON'T know what you are talking about.  Even I knew Android is not Unix and I'm not a programmer.


     


    Your putting words in my mouth here, I never said anything in regards to UNIX being use in Android, any idiot knows it's Linux. I think you confused me with another poster.


     


    Bottom Line.  It seems as though you shouldn't be on AppleInsider since you tend to put out a lot of misleading, misguided information that serves no one other than your arrogant, narcissistic ego.


     


    That's you opinion, as I use Android, Windows, Linux and OSX on a daily basis, my interests run broader then most. You have encountered me in two threads, one was for Windows 8 which I use and this one for Andoid, which I also use however I'm also a big fan of Apple products and I own a few. Just because I don't share your views of hating everything except Apple doesn't make me anymore less of a Apple fan. I would have never shared my views on these other systems if Appleinsider didn't post so many stories about what other companies are doing. I think it's ridiculous and quite childish to complain so much about the competition the way you do especially when you don't use it. Million's of people use Windows and Android everyday and are quite content. Yes, yes iOS is the best, blah, blah, at the end of the day it comes down what the individual can accomplish on their devices and if their happy and me, I'm quite happy.


     


    By your thinking, the only people that should use Android are programmers that want to write code for Android and are willing to waste a LOT of time with these XDA ROMS just to keep up to date on what is really one of the most pathetic excuses for an Operating System platform ever to be released.


     


    I was only stating that "I" prefer using custom ROMS and that I recommend people do the the same as they get updated more and have less problems, my opinion. Your hatred for Android is your business.


     


    Enjoy your bag of hurt and Good Luck with ALL THAT!


     


    I will thanks! image


  • Reply 188 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Your first virus was on a Mac 6100 with a 486 card and it popped up in Windows 95?  Then you virus wasn't Mac OS related, it was Windows 95 related.  Did you write the virus?  If so, then I can see why you have the mentality you do.  Sounds like you might be one of those scum of the earth hackers that everyone wants to just go away and not bother people anymore.



    If you read the WHOLE post I said people use OSX and Linux so they won't infect their own systems, in this case I used Mac OS 9.1 and a 486 card with W95 as the target machine, since they both used the same storage it was an ideal platform for such things. The virus was a project for a class I was taking at the university, you know computer science. My mentality is opened minded where as you seem to be a very closed minded individual, your way, everything else is crap.

  • Reply 189 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nielsbosch View Post



    Here is more on another trojan detected last week by Kasperksy


    If you look at that how to avoid, the number one is; 1. Disable allowing apps from unknown sources.


     


    A lot of these problems can be avoided if people would not install third party apps from those cracked app sites. That's not going to happen though so it's their own damn fault. Again, I personally have never had a Malware or a Virus on any of my devices, it's easy to accomplish.

  • Reply 190 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


     Relic,


     


    Is any aspect of what you are doing with the rooting of the phone and updating it that was supported and encouraged by the device mfg?  Simple question?

  • Reply 191 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     


    This article is an example of why I despise Android.  It's a mess.   A total mess.  There is no consistency through out the platform. You buy a product from a company that supports the hardware and software, that's how you deal with it.  When you go AROUND the normal way of doing things, it becomes UNSUPPORTED by the mfg. Right?  Well, that's how I deal with things.  I buy a product and go by the terms and conditions of the mfg warranty/support contract.  With Apple products, I don't have even the need to try to go around the updating process to get my OS updated because of Google's crappy way of updating all of these products (non-Nexus).  That's the point. You have to do what your doing to always have the latest version OS, with Apple, I don't have to do that.  That's the point.




    What happens if you brick the phone?  Can it happen?  Yup.  Does it happen?  It may not be frequent, but it does happen.  When it does.  You now have to buy a new one because it's not supported/covered under warranty.  Right? 


     


    So, what would be the process for someone that has never rooted a Android phone go about from start to finish on updating a Samsung Galaxy Admire that has Gingerbread on it and what would they end up with?  Explain the entire process from start to finish for some one that has never done it before that's a complete novice. 

  • Reply 192 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     


    So where do you get these custom ROMs and how would you replace the existing ROM with a custom ROM?  What's the step by step process?


     


    And when you finish that, ask yourself, does an Apple iPhone user have to do that? NOPE.  Why not?  Because when Apple releases an update, you get it within minutes after it's available.  Why is that?  Because Apple is the developer of both the hardware and software and it's not this Open Free For All mess where everyone takes the main OS and then does their little modifications specific to each model product they make.  That's where the mess is then created which is why it takes so damned long to get an OS update.  Yeah, with Nexus, you get it as fast as Google releases it.  Why doesn't Google just have everyone use Nexus OS? Why does Google allow these manufacturers to make non-Nexus phones and tablets? 

  • Reply 193 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    So where do you get these custom ROMs and how would you replace the existing ROM with a custom ROM?  What's the step by step process?


     


    And when you finish that, ask yourself, does an Apple iPhone user have to do that? NOPE.  Why not?  Because when Apple releases an update, you get it within minutes after it's available.  Why is that?  Because Apple is the developer of both the hardware and software and it's not this Open Free For All mess where everyone takes the main OS and then does their little modifications specific to each model product they make.  That's where the mess is then created which is why it takes so damned long to get an OS update.  Yeah, with Nexus, you get it as fast as Google releases it.  Why doesn't Google just have everyone use Nexus OS? Why does Google allow these manufacturers to make non-Nexus phones and tablets? 



    XDA is the best depository for ROMS, a Samsung phone for instance needs a program called Odin, also found on XDA or directly from Samsung. Simply find the ROM your looking for in the Forum, download it, open Odin, select the ROM under the button called PDA, then click Start, wait, the phone will reboot and your done. Takes about 4 minutes. Believe me if Apple provided a flashing tool I would be one of the first people to start doing it. I actually compile my own ROM from source as I like to strip out the none essentials to free up as much space and ram. 


     


    It takes the manufactures time to release not Google, they release the source code in a stable, beta, dev, capacity and it's nightly. If Google forced everyone to use their version it wouldn't be opened then would it. This does cause problems, yes, that's why I suggest to people to use custom ROM's from XDA, your phone will always be up to date and the the shelf life of your device would be at least 5 years. You can still get ROM's for the HTC G1, the original Android phone and it's Jelly Bean.


     


    Company's are getting the hint though, Asus, HTC and Samsung are starting to release updates in a faster manner. The Samsung S2 for instance has already had about 6 updates and Jelly Bean is available.

  • Reply 194 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Treblinka View Post


    This article is an example of why I despise Android.  It's a mess.   A total mess.  There is no consistency through out the platform. You buy a product from a company that supports the hardware and software, that's how you deal with it.  When you go AROUND the normal way of doing things, it becomes UNSUPPORTED by the mfg. Right?  Well, that's how I deal with things.  I buy a product and go by the terms and conditions of the mfg warranty/support contract.  With Apple products, I don't have even the need to try to go around the updating process to get my OS updated because of Googly's crappy way of updating all of these products (non-Nexus).  That's the point. You have to do what your doing to always have the latest version OS, with Apple, I don't have to do that.  That's the point.




    What happens if you brick the phone?  Can it happen?  Yup.  Does it happen?  It may not be frequent, but it does happen.  When it does.  You now have to buy a new one because it's not supported/covered under warranty.  Right? 


     


    So, what would be the process for someone that has never rooted a Android phone go about from start to finish on updating a Samsung Galaxy Admire that has Gingerbread on it and what would they end up with?  Explain the entire process from start to finish for some one that has never done it before that's a complete novice. 



    So then just stick with Apple, why are you complaining about something you don't use. Your just going on and on about it, don't worry your pretty little head it's not your problem. You will never convince me and I nor you, I know the advantages and disadvantages of this platform inside and out but I still choose to use it, why, because the pros must out way the cons. I make this platform sit up, play dead and jump threw a hoop. It's the same reason why people mess about with their cars, tuning them, playing with the timings and why they don't just buy a Honda and be done with it.

  • Reply 195 of 275
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


     


    So, what would be the process for someone that has never rooted a Android phone go about from start to finish on updating a Samsung Galaxy Admire that has Gingerbread on it and what would they end up with?  Explain the entire process from start to finish for some one that has never done it before that's a complete novice. 



    Geesh, no wonder why you hate Android phones, that is one gigantic piece of crap pre-paid phone. There is a Android 4.1 ROM floating out there for it, How To -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpeRnPnuG8, ROM -> http://www.4shared.com/file/xnZKdIFj/GASMOD.html , ODIN -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899 hey it's better then nothing. I can compile a Jelly Bean version for you but it will take a couple of days, taking the kids to Disney Land Paris over the weekend, yay for me.

  • Reply 196 of 275
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    relic wrote: »
    Funny you mentioned that as the most downloaded applications on PirateBay are for OSX, Photoshop being one of the top, I kind of get why Adobe went to an online subscription. Well, I guess you can say that PirateBay has an established history, ;). Buying a Mac doesn't automatically make you moral, in fact OSX and Linux is a favorite with virus and malware writers, the whole you can't infect yourself with your own work shtick. My first virus was written on a Mac PowerPC 6100 with a Intel 486 card in it, nothing to devious, it popped up a cartoon of a stick figure dancing in Win 95, when you clicked on it, it multiplied by two.

    Since you're not even able to tell the difference between a Mac virus and a Windows 95 virus, why are you even commenting on this thread?
  • Reply 197 of 275
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by koop View Post


     


    I'll never understand the need for widgets. They're so boring and it really isn't that hard to dig into an app you need like weather to get better information quickly. Back when I had an android phone I always trashed them ASAP. Not my thing, Which is why I didn't complain when Apple skipped them for iOS7. 



     


    I don't go widget heavy either.  But I love it for the ones that I use.  On my main screen I have the weather-clock widget.  Makes it very easy to read with a quick glance instead of grabbing my glasses and looking at the notification bar.  On the same screen I have anther widgets that shows the times in 2 countries where the rest of my team is.  I have widgets on various screens with the daily agenda, Google Music control, Favorite contacts, a direct dial for my wife, photos (that change) of my family.  I have lately discovered Google Keep.  Which is really handy.  There are widgets for the Lock screen.  Other folks have widgets that they find useful.  The advantage of widgets is getting updated information at a glance.  Google Now is especially useful and I have that on my tablet. 


     


    Once you get used to it, it's hard to get back to digging out an app and navigating to the screen that you want.  eg. If I click on the time of the weather-clock widget, it opens up the timer.  A swipe left or right will give me a world clock, a stopwatch and the alarm.  If I click on the weather part of the clock, I get the forecast for the rest of the week. If I click on the location of the widget, I get a screen that allows me to change it.  Clicking on the temperature, gives me the ability to change the settings.  All of this is completely customizable so the widget itself can be changed to display whatever you want.  And you can open any app you want on different locations in the widget.


     


    I wrote an expense app to keep track of my expenses when I travel.  With a link on my screen, I was able to add expenses to a specific account with a quick tap without having to open the app and navigate to the category.  When I was done with my travel, I just deleted the link and cleared up the real estate.

  • Reply 198 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    So then just stick with Apple, why are you complaining about something you don't use. Your just going on and on about it, don't worry your pretty little head it's not your problem. You will never convince me and I nor you, I know the advantages and disadvantages of this platform inside and out but I still choose to use it, why, because the pros must out way the cons. I make this platform sit up, play dead and jump threw a hoop. It's the same reason why people mess about with their cars, tuning them, playing with the timings and why they don't just buy a Honda and be done with it.



    Most people don't play around tuning their cars.  Only a very small portion of the population that owns cars does that.


     


    Yeah, I'm the type of user that would go out, buy a Mercedes Benz, and bring it in to a qualified service center (not just the dealership) and get things done by the owner's manual. If I hear or feel something strange, I bring it in.  I don't want to "save a little money" by trying to do things I could probably learn how to do myself, because it's not my thing. I had a neighbor try to convince me that I could save money by doing the brakes myself, etc.  But guess what?  That idiot, as many cars as he's done over his life with all the actual training he's had over the years, would still screw up time to time and the amount of time he spent on dicking around with what he felt was simple didn't seem so simple anymore.  It didn't seem worth it.  Cars these days are designed where they have special testing/diagnostic equipment and maybe some special tools to prevent Joe Blow from doing what you are talking about.  It's not like the olden days when you bought a Muscle car and modified the crap out of it in your garage.  Yeah, there are plenty of tweaks the car freaks will do, but again, most people don't do that.  They would rather use the car and let the trained professionals handle fixing it.  Yeah, I will break out my tools on an older mac and replace stuff, I've done it, and i might do it again, but only after the thing is so far out of warranty that even Apple doesn't support it anymore, but I'm getting past that now.


     


    A long time ago, I would probably be more inclined to do what you are doing when I was young and new to the industry.  I used to download Beta versions of Mac OS, play around with Res Edit and tweak the OS and other weird stuff, but after a while, I got older, got less interested in it.  To me, you are just in a place where I used to be, but got out of that mentality as I've grown up.   


     


    I'm a lot older than you and have been involved with the computer industry as either a consumer, a reseller, a technician fixing, testing, upgrading hardware/software on PCs, Apple IIs, Macs, C/PM since the late 70's.  I've seen first hand or through customer's eyes, a lot of horror stories and I've learned over time I'll stick with what works best.  Apple has proven that to me, and Microsoft hasn't.  I'll stick to just doing what I can do without violating a warranty, first and foremost.  I'll buy the AppleCare support contract because i have that piece of mind.  Some computer fanatics will put their own PCs together and think they are Mr/Ms Know it all. I have friends along the way that have done that and think they are saving money and every time i would run into them, they seem to be always trying to fix their DIY PC they saved money on while I just pull out my Mac laptop and just use the thing how it was intended.   


     


    Yeah, I've had modifications done to a car, and have had problems with them as well.  One modification, which I thought was going to be cool ended up costing an additional $3,500 and a lot of hassle.    Some I wouldn't hesitate doing but some I would.  It all comes from experience.  Again, I know that doing what you are doing with a rooting an OS can brick a phone.  I know it's not going to happen all of the time, but all it would have to do is happen once and that would teach me not to do that.   Again, what you are doing is not covered under warranty, is it?


     


    BTW, I dislike Japanese cars, I like Mercedes. I feel more comfortable in them and safer in them.  For some reason, Japanese cars don't have seats that I feel comfortable sitting in.  

  • Reply 199 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    XDA is the best depository for ROMS, a Samsung phone for instance needs a program called Odin, also found on XDA or directly from Samsung. Simply find the ROM your looking for in the Forum, download it, open Odin, select the ROM under the button called PDA, then click Start, wait, the phone will reboot and your done. Takes about 4 minutes. Believe me if Apple provided a flashing tool I would be one of the first people to start doing it. I actually compile my own ROM from source as I like to strip out the none essentials to free up as much space and ram. 


     


    It takes the manufactures time to release not Google, they release the source code in a stable, beta, dev, capacity and it's nightly. If Google forced everyone to use their version it wouldn't be opened then would it. This does cause problems, yes, that's why I suggest to people to use custom ROM's from XDA, your phone will always be up to date and the the shelf life of your device would be at least 5 years. You can still get ROM's for the HTC G1, the original Android phone and it's Jelly Bean.


     


    Company's are getting the hint though, Asus, HTC and Samsung are starting to release updates in a faster manner. The Samsung S2 for instance has already had about 6 updates and Jelly Bean is available.



    Now, how would an average novice know anything about this whole XDA process?  What happens if there is a problem and it screws up your phone?  Murphy's always will come into effect at some point in time.  You've obviously have spent countless hours, days, weeks, etc. researching this, but to someone that has NO experience whatsoever (Average Joe Blow) wouldn't have a clue what to do and they would have to recreate the wheel so to speak in learning what you've already learned.


     


    Again, is what you are doing sanctioned and supported by the mfg?  I seem to remember Microsoft asking XDA to remove Microsoft OEM ROMs from their site.  So from it sounds like, even Microsoft doesn't like that crap going on.

  • Reply 200 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Geesh, no wonder why you hate Android phones, that is one gigantic piece of crap pre-paid phone. There is a Android 4.1 ROM floating out there for it, How To -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpeRnPnuG8, ROM -> http://www.4shared.com/file/xnZKdIFj/GASMOD.html , ODIN -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899 hey it's better then nothing. I can compile a Jelly Bean version for you but it will take a couple of days, taking the kids to Disney Land Paris over the weekend, yay for me.



    The Galaxy Amire is just one example that I think is a piece of crap.  the other aspect that I just simply cannot get around the fact that when I walk into a store that carries pretty much every major brand phone, that only one or two Android based phones actually have 4.2.2 (which is the latest release) on the freaking product when you walk out of the store.  THAT right there tells me to STAY away from that entire platform.  That is a RED FLAG SCREAMING DANGER, DANGER, KEEP AWAY.


     


    The other aspect is talking with friends, regardless of their knowledge of technology, will tell me what they like and dislike about their various phones.  The consensus is that most of them that have Android based phones hate them.  Most of them don't have time or even any form of desire to do what you are doing with XDA. Whether you think it's easy or not.  They just don't have that desire to do that.  Most of the people that I know that have Android phones are looking forward to buying an iPhone, some of them have already and they don't complain, at all.  I hear NO complaints other than they might be in a bad cell area, but that's more of geography to their carrier's towers or they are in a very busy area where calls can get dropped because there is too much traffic during peak times.  But I've not heard a peep out of anyone I know personally with any complaints other than one person that didn't speak English and he couldn't understand someone trying to explain how things work.  I'm not suggesting that Apple hasn't had customers that have had problems, that does happen, but I can assure you, the percentage of complaints are far fewer overall.


     


    See you aren't the norm with Android, most Android users aren't going to do what you are doing, if they did, then XDA would have hundreds of millions of registered users rather than just 5 Million.  That suggests that there are only less than 1% of the Android users will root their system.  I'm wondering how many bricks have been created doing this rooting process.  You think it's the Bee's knees, but some people aren't impressed by it.  Personally, Google should just design and release their product where anyone can walk into a freaking store and buy anything on the shelf and they all have the latest version OS.  Yeah, that will never happen as long as Google has their mentality.


     


    Google Nexus 4? That thing has a crappy camera and so do the Samsungs.  Ooops.

Sign In or Register to comment.