Pressure mounts on Japan's largest carrier as it still refuses to carry Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Crowley" url="/t/158372/pressure-mounts-on-japans-largest-carrier-as-it-still-refuses-to-carry-apples-iphone#post_2357610"]I entirely agree that I don't want any bloat ware on my iPhone. So much so that not being able to delete the Apple apps that I consider bloatware (Stocks, Weather, Calendar, Compass, Voice Memos, Clock, Videos, News Stand, Games Center, Mail, Safari) bugs me.[/QUOTE]

So go buy a T9 flip phone and stop whining about things you clearly don't get.

[quote name="Crowley" url="/t/158372/pressure-mounts-on-japans-largest-carrier-as-it-still-refuses-to-carry-apples-iphone#post_2357623"]I don't claim to be in the majority.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The majority wants the iPhone just as it is.
  • Reply 42 of 123
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. That's like saying the majority of TV users use it it play games and not watch TV since console gaming is a multi billion dollar industry.

Games not other productivity apps dominate in every top app category; free, paid, and top grossing. So it's not a guess as to what the 'vast majority' of people are doing with their iPhones.
  • Reply 43 of 123
    In France, each carrier and internet access provider has exclusive apps available on the App Store which work only when you are one of their customers (either by entering your credentials to access, say, TV channels, or working only on an iphone locked to them or using their network).

I don't see what keep NTT DoCoMo to do the same and provides its customers with its own exclusive apps, through Apple's AppStore, and keep its "lifestyle" as it is now.

Unless it is a matter of stickers reading "NTT DoCoMo" to be put on the iPhone%u2026
  • Reply 44 of 123
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

In France, each carrier and internet access provider has exclusive apps available on the App Store which work only when you are one of their customers (either by entering your credentials to access, say, TV channels, or working only on an iphone locked to them or using their network).

I don't see what keep NTT DoCoMo to do the same and provides its customers with its own exclusive apps, through Apple's AppStore, and keep its "lifestyle" as it is now.

Unless it is a matter of stickers reading "NTT DoCoMo" to be put on the iPhone%u2026

They want the apps to be pre-installed and uninstallable.  Sort of like what carriers to with Android phones unless you root them to remove the bloatware carrier crap. If people had to go out of their way to install them it's likely very few would use them anymore and NTT DoCoMo gets tons of revenue by people using their i-mode service.

• Reply 45 of 123
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    crowley wrote: »
    I entirely agree that I don't want any bloat ware on my iPhone. So much so that not being able to delete the Apple apps that I consider bloatware (Stocks, Weather, Calendar, Compass, Voice Memos, Clock, Videos, News Stand, Games Center, Mail, Safari) bugs me.

I want Apple to be stubborn in keeping crap that I don't want or need off my phone. I wish they'd turn that stubbornness to be inward-facing.

If it bugs you so much, you can put it all in a folder, and move the folder to a separate page, no?
  • Reply 46 of 123
    I still expect someone to call Apple "arrogant" and say "Timmy needs to learn to play nice with carriers or else Apple's stock prices will stay in the toilet" or similar nonsense.
  • Reply 47 of 123
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    stelligent wrote: »
    No excuse? They are not allowed to negotiate more favorable terms?

How dare you ask that? Don't you know that ALL terms must favor Apple and that Apple is the only company capable of providing a good customer experience? /s
  • Reply 48 of 123
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    it's great to see a carrier suffer for their obnoxious behaviour and business practices
  • Reply 49 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

They can try, they'll just need to realize that Apple's going to continue to say no whilst they lose ever more customers to the other carriers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

How dare you ask that? Don't you know that ALL terms must favor Apple and that Apple is the only company capable of providing a good customer experience? /s

0/10. Hope Samsung's PR agency doesn't pay you that much.

• Reply 50 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

So you don't have any apps?

Non-sequitur much? How exactly did you jump to the conclusion that they have no apps based on them complaining about carriers who force uninstallable crapware on their phones? You fail to see the difference between those and apps the user chooses to install themselves?

• Reply 51 of 123
    richl wrote: »
    And you base that on...?

NTT DoCoMo is/was the carrier that everyone tried (and failed) to emulate. NTT DoCoMo's i-mode service is easily the most successful carrier-exclusive service of all time.

If you've only had experience of western carriers, it's hard to understand how different NTT DoCoMo operates.

I am aware of this. However, Apple doesn't do carrier exclusive, so there is probably going to be no deal. As long as Japanese customers have a choice, they can choose a different carrier. That's Apple's bargaining chip, and the free market forces will sort this out.
  • Reply 52 of 123
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    soloman wrote: »
    Games not other productivity apps dominate in every top app category; free, paid, and top grossing. So it's not a guess as to what the 'vast majority' of people are doing with their iPhones.

Why does it matter what people use their iPhones for? So a lot of people use it to play games, big deal. A lot of people use it to make calls and browse the Internet too, again big deal.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    soloman wrote: »

Are you for real? Web browsing doesn't show up in App Store statistics. Neither does checking email or scheduling appointments.
  • Reply 54 of 123
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    gazoobee wrote: »

I find Stocks particularly bad in that only some rich capitalist from the US really wants that ever.  The vast majority of the public doesn't have any interest in the stock market and it's only really there because every Apple employee is looking at their stock options. So offensive.  

One day, long after you've moved out of your parents' basement, you, too, may own stock. It may be part of your retirement plan, or it may be part of your compensation. Stock can be bought for pennies and you can open a trading account for free. I find your narrow, uninformed view to be offensive.
  • Reply 55 of 123
    The Japanese adherence to tradition is their major fault, too often blinding them to reality. DoCoMo's insistence upon adding their little garden to OEM phones and then affixing their external branding is pointless relative to all the value-added advantages of instead depending upon the wealth of creative third-party apps to enrich customer experience, and adopting the award-winning iPhone as-is to elevate your business. This is a classic example of corporate self-defeat.
  • Reply 56 of 123
    stelligent wrote: »

"Not allowed"? By whom? How do you go from "no excuse" to "not allowed"? Non sequitur much?
  • Reply 57 of 123
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Stand fast Apple. I look forward to the day when NTT DoCoMo is no longer the largest carrier in Japan.
  • Reply 58 of 123
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Pressure mounts on Japan's largest carrier as it still refuses to carry Apple's iPhone

I missed the Pressure Mounts part of the article. Where is the pressure, and where is it coming from? 

• Reply 59 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    <h1 class="forum-h1" id="user_yui_3_10_0_1_1373046106326_1002" style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:15px;padding-bottom:4px;font-size:26px;line-height:1em;color:rgb(58,66,73);font-family:FranklinGothicFSCdRegular;"> </h1>

I missed the Pressure Mounts part of the article. Where is the pressure, and where is it coming from? 

I think it's due to the loss of subscribers. It's inferred share holders don't like the loss of business.
  • Reply 60 of 123
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Market forces.