Pressure mounts on Japan's largest carrier as it still refuses to carry Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

... You can't browse the web without a browser, and you can't email without an email client.  Pretty simple. ...

It is pretty simple, and that's why you can't delete them.

• Reply 102 of 123
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Whatever man, I haven't got the energy to argue with stubborn fools who change their argument at every turn.

It's not an unreasonable request.  It's clearly not a priority request either.  Doesn't stop me wanting.

• Reply 103 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley wrote: »
    If the user wants to spend a few hours configuring their phone how they want it, with the apps they prefer, then allow them to.

That's not what Apple is about. End of discussion.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It is pretty simple, and that's why you can't delete them.

You wouldn't actually be stuck if you deleted all web browsers, because you still have an app store full of browsers, and no one is suggesting that the user be able to delete the app store. There are good arguments for why apple should make it hard for the average user to delete safari. But there's no reason to panic if you find yourself without a browser.

• Reply 105 of 123
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member

Sure they are. Do people look for and download dozens if not hundreds of apps instantaneously? No, it's usually a process that takes hours.
  • Reply 106 of 123

"not what Apple is about"

I must have imagined that time when I installed a third party app then.

I must have imagined that time when I changed my default browser on my Mac.

I must have imagined that time when I did just about anything ever.

Don't say such ridiculous things.

• Reply 107 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    soloman wrote: »
    I can understand no carrier logos but what's the difference between a company that pre installs proprietary software on the iPhones it gives to it's employees and what NTT wants to do? It's just on a grander scale. Google Play does allow carrier specific apps but I'm guessing that the app store does not.

App Store does allow third party carrier software. The difference is I don't think the majority of NTT users uses it. NTT just wants to piggy back on the iPhone's success.
    crowley wrote: »
    Not at all.  I'm not saying get rid of Safari, Mail and the others.  I'm just saying allow the user to delete them if they want.  And furthermore, give the user a services framework so that they can effectively replace them with other apps fulfilling similar functional purposes from the app store.

What if a novice accidentally deletes them? Do you tell them "tough sh1t?" They probably want to check email and surf the web. They don't care about the App Store so they wouldn't know where to search.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    soloman wrote: »
    Sure they are. Do people look for and download dozens if not hundreds of apps instantaneously? No, it's usually a process that takes hours.

Read my posts before replying to them in the future.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    I missed the reason Apple "should" allow deletion of their apps? Seems to me they absolutely "should" keep control of their ecosystem. Allow third party browsers but keep the default goto as Safari. Allow map apps but keep the goto imaps. Why would Apple want to do it any differently?
  • Reply 110 of 123

They probably don't, which is why they haven't.  Doesn't stop some people wanting them to though.  You are free to delete bundled apps and change default apps on the Mac.  That's what I'd like on the iPhone.

Though this has all been a bit extrapolated from the original premise that some of the stock apps are little more than bloatware which few people use - I'm thinking mainly of Stocks, Weather, Compass and Voice Memos.  It would be nice if Apple allowed deletion of these.

Safari, Mail and Maps are a bit more complicated and political, clearly.

• Reply 111 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

I can understand no carrier logos but what's the difference between a company that pre installs proprietary software on the iPhones it gives to it's employees and what NTT wants to do? It's just on a grander scale. Google Play does allow carrier specific apps but I'm guessing that the app store does not.

It's not just a grander scale, even though that's what your argument hinges on. In addition to a difference of degree, it's also a difference of kind. The apps that companies install for employee use are not part of the general smartphone experience, but are specific to the companies business.

And, yes, carrier specific apps exist today in the App Store; they aren't forbidding them from offering apps, just from taking over the entire user experience on the phone.

• Reply 112 of 123

Quote:

They probably don't, which is why they haven't.  Doesn't stop some people wanting them to though.  You are free to delete bundled apps and change default apps on the Mac.  That's what I'd like on the iPhone.

Though this has all been a bit extrapolated from the original premise that some of the stock apps are little more than bloatware which few people use - I'm thinking mainly of Stocks, Weather, Compass and Voice Memos.  It would be nice if Apple allowed deletion of these.

It's all part of the same argument: The stock apps as a whole guarantee a distinct user experience out of the box, and belong in the firmware. Apple has other apps that are not part of that experience that can be downloaded and installed from the App Store, and deleted. But, as pointed out, you haven't made an argument as to why your personal desires would be a good thing for Apple or the majority of users.

• Reply 113 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Which is exactly why certain apps ought to be baked into the firmware.

• Reply 114 of 123
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

If a stock app can't be deleted, then maybe just stick in a folder entitled junk i don't use and then put the folder on the last page, so you have your first pages of icons/folders with just the more important apps.  I'm constantly rearranging my icons to suit the shifts in what apps i use.  It doesn't take long to do it.

• Reply 115 of 123

I'd argue that the Stocks app in particular probably isn't even ever opened by a significant portion of the user base - my family and friends have no interest in such things and no use for it.  What advantage does its perpetuity hold for them?  Being able to delete it offers a cleaner experience for them.

The same is broadly true to slightly varying degrees of Weather, Compass and Voice Memos.

Safari, Mail and Maps are more of a niche case.

I'd be of the opinion that Find My iPhone offers much more utility to the average user and should be part of the firmware.  But some people might not want that either, so they should have the option of deleting it.  This is just about options; I have no idea why you're so against it.

• Reply 116 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If a stock app can't be deleted, then maybe just stick in a folder entitled junk i don't use and then put the folder on the last page, so you have your first pages of icons/folders with just the more important apps.  I'm constantly rearranging my icons to suit the shifts in what apps i use.  It doesn't take long to do it.

And yet you're "constantly" doing it?  Must be irritating as hell.  I know, because it's what I do do, and it annoys me.  Surely you can see the appeal in deleting them off the phone completely?  Why wouldn't you want that?

I'm finding this counter-argument completely bizarre.

• Reply 117 of 123

Quote:

I'd argue that ...

... The same is broadly true ...

There's a chasm between, "I'd argue that," and, "The same is broadly true." The former is idle speculation based on unsubstantiated opinion, the latter an assertion of fact. You haven't even strung a line across that chasm, let alone bridged it.

• Reply 118 of 123

Quote:

And yet you're "constantly" doing it?  Must be irritating as hell.  I know, because it's what I do do, and it annoys me.  Surely you can see the appeal in deleting them off the phone completely?  Why wouldn't you want that?

I'm finding this counter-argument completely bizarre.

That's because you chose to misinterpret "constantly" as referring to putting the apps he infrequently or never accesses rather than the other apps on the phone that he does. The rest of your post is based on that willful misinterpretation, so nothing more than a disingenuous attempt to score cheap points.

I'm beginning to see a trend with your "arguments".

• Reply 119 of 123

Quote:

There's a chasm between, "I'd argue that," and, "The same is broadly true." The former is idle speculation based on unsubstantiated opinion, the latter an assertion of fact. You haven't even strung a line across that chasm, let alone bridged it.

I'd argue that the same is broadly true.

Can you actually argue the point instead of pedantry?

• Reply 120 of 123

Quote:

That's because you chose to misinterpret "constantly" as referring to putting the apps he infrequently or never accesses rather than the other apps on the phone that he does. The rest of your post is based on that willful misinterpretation, so nothing more than a disingenuous attempt to score cheap points.

I'm beginning to see a trend with your "arguments".

I actually misread his post.  Apologies for that.

But beyond the misunderstanding of the first two sentences, I'd stand by the rest of the post.

What trend?  Enlighten me.