Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2014
Apple is currently on schedule to launch a revised fifth-generation iPad in September, a new rumor claims, while features of the second-generation iPad mini, such as a potential Retina display, may still be in flux.

iPad


The details were relayed by the usual supply chain sources to DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech industry publication frequently skewered for its track record. On Monday, the publication said that a new 9.7-inch iPad is planned to debut in September with a slimmer bezel, as has been rumored.

In addition, the report said the number of LED tubes to backlight the Retina display has been reduced from two to one, and battery life of the device has also been improved.

Pilot production of the device is allegedly already able to satisfy demand for the initial launch. As such, suppliers reportedly indicated they expect Apple to give shipment estimates as soon as the end of this month.

While the full-size iPad is rumored to see a refresh in September, the iPad mini may have to wait a little longer for its second-generation model to launch. Sources told DigiTimes that Apple is "still considering whether to adopt a Retina display for the device."

If Apple does opt for a high-resolution display in its 7.9-inch tablet, the release of the product could be delayed until the fourth quarter of calendar 2013, the report said. It also added that Apple is pushing component suppliers to further shrink the iPad mini bezel, and that the company is pushing for a largely bezel-less design.

Apple launched both the first iPad mini and the fourth-generation iPad at the same event last October. The updated full-size iPad was a moderate surprise, as the third-generation model with Retina display had debuted only six months prior.

The fifth-generation iPad is expected to adopt a design similar to that of the iPad mini, including more rounded edges and a thinner bezel. Leaked schematics have suggested the new iPad will also be thinner than its predecessor, while well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities has said the device will be 25 percent lighter.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 75
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member


    I personally would like to see a Retina version of the Mini, even it has to be thicker and heavier. Pundits who claim Apple made a mistake launching a thicker and heavier RP version of the iPad don't understand or appreciate engineering. Simply keep the current version of the Mini around and let consumers choose.


     


    Of course, Apple might surprise us with a RP-Mini that is neither thicker nor heavier. That would be a remarkable feat of engineering. 

  • Reply 2 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,095member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    It also added that Apple is pushing component suppliers to further shrink the iPad mini bezel, and that the company is pushing for a largely bezel-less design.


     


    Not a good idea. And I predict this specific rumour will prove to be bull s h i t.


     




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    The fifth-generation iPad is expected to adopt a design similar to that of the iPad mini, including more rounded edges and a thinner bezel.


     


    That's less rounded edges. Or 'more square'.

  • Reply 3 of 75
    I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,508member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post



    I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.


     


    I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this (and I know that Apple would never do it), but I agree and wish that Apple would add a microSD slot. Paying $100 for an extra 16GB (upgrading from the 16GB model to the 32GB model) or 32GB of storage (upgrading from the 32GB model to the 64GB model) is just ridiculous to me.


     


    I recently bought a 16GB Nook HD+ since they're dirt cheap now. I was able to pickup a 32GB Samsung Class-10 microSDHC card for $22 shipped from Amazon. I was able to load up all of my movies on that one card instead of wasting my internal storage space.

  • Reply 5 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,095member
    I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.

    Micro SD card slot? You do know you're talking about an iPad right? You won't get that. More battery life is always great, but it's great already.

    What we won't get which is needed IMO are FAR better speakers. If the iMac is any indication expect the iPad to keep getting thinner and the sound to keep getting worse each year.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,472member
    I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.

    You'll get less bezel but not more screen.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,199member
    Backlight leds reduce 2 to 1 looks a lot like IGZO
  • Reply 8 of 75
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 463member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this (and I know that Apple would never do it), but I agree and wish that Apple would add a microSD slot. Paying $100 for an extra 16GB (upgrading from the 16GB model to the 32GB model) or 32GB of storage (upgrading from the 32GB model to the 64GB model) is just ridiculous to me.

    I recently bought a 16GB Nook HD+ since they're dirt cheap now. I was able to pickup a 32GB Samsung Class-10 microSDHC card for $22 shipped from Amazon. I was able to load up all of my movies on that one card instead of wasting my internal storage space.

    No, no bashing for this. But Apple might have different reasons for not including an SD slot, such as performance, i.e. slow speed from SD-cards compared to on board memory.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    stelligent wrote: »
    I personally would like to see a Retina version of the Mini, even it has to be thicker and heavier. Pundits who claim Apple made a mistake launching a thicker and heavier RP version of the iPad don't understand or appreciate engineering. Simply keep the current version of the Mini around and let consumers choose.

    Of course, Apple might surprise us with a RP-Mini that is neither thicker nor heavier. That would be a remarkable feat of engineering. 

    As a mini user I have to disagree. While I'd love an RD, not at the cost of weight, bulk, shorter battery and/or heat. The mini is is a compromise that's all about max portability. Taking that away would not be good IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,518member


    Every model of Mac has an SDXC card slot so I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if the iPad got one.

  • Reply 11 of 75
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Micro SD card slot? You do know you're talking about an iPad right? You won't get that. More battery life is always great, but it's great already.



     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacApfelView Post





    No, no bashing for this. But Apple might have different reasons for not including an SD slot, such as performance, i.e. slow speed from SD-cards compared to on board memory.


     


    You said this.


    iPad does not have SD Card Slot means that, it has to read it via Wi-Fi or Cellular. Card reader needs less battery power  than the Wi-Fi radio. 


    And, if this is not truth, Apple would not make the accessory.  And, it is Apple's Digital Life Design that, they would eradicate such peripherals. 


  • Reply 12 of 75
    can't wait !
  • Reply 13 of 75
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    Sourcing DigiTimes for anything is like quoting Rob Enderle
  • Reply 14 of 75

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Sources told DigiTimes that Apple is "still considering whether to adopt a Retina display for the device."


     


    I have a very hard time believing this is true, that it's July and they still haven't figured out whether to adopt a retina display for the mini or not - they decide those things long before now, if they expect to put it in production and spend a month or more stockpiling the device in warehouses around the world so they can meet launch day demands.


     


    As for a fatter mini, I'd prefer they wait till they can figure out how to squeeze the retina (and various necessary additional/modified components) in the existing chassis - the best thing about the mini is its gorgeous form factor, it's what defines the product, to make it fatter would be a detraction from its main feature.

  • Reply 15 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member


    I sounds to me like they are trying ot fix it so that at least a few people buy the full-sized iPad, before the sales of the iPad mini blow it away. image

  • Reply 16 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    [QUOTE name="ascii" url="/t/158389/apple-rumored-to-launch-fifth-gen-ipad-in-sept-new-ipad-mini-to-follow#post_2358896"]
    Every model of Mac has an SDXC card slot so I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if the iPad got one.
    [/QUOTE]

    I would.  In my mind the difference is the OS.  iOS doesn't have a file system, and while it's [I]possible[/I] to have SD cards without a file system, it's awkward.  
  • Reply 17 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post



    … a full version of Office would also be great.


     


    Never happen.  Apple doesn't allow "suites" in the first place, and even Microsoft (who would have to be the people that make it), have already ruled on this.  It ain't gonna happen.  Never, ever, ever.  


     


    My advice is to give up the 1990's dream and think of different ways to work.  Move forward not back. 

  • Reply 18 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    [QUOTE name="stelligent" url="/t/158389/apple-rumored-to-launch-fifth-gen-ipad-in-sept-new-ipad-mini-to-follow#post_2358879"]
    I personally would like to see a Retina version of the Mini, even it has to be thicker and heavier. Pundits who claim Apple made a mistake launching a thicker and heavier RP version of the iPad don't understand or appreciate engineering. Simply keep the current version of the Mini around and let consumers choose.

    Of course, Apple might surprise us with a RP-Mini that is neither thicker nor heavier. That would be a remarkable feat of engineering. 
    [/QUOTE]

    I'm also thinking that I don't want a retina iPad mini if it's even a smidge heavier or thicker, but alas, the current one is so seriously underpowered, that it would be hard to keep using it another year.  The (presumed) performance increase of the new one will probably make it a hard choice.  I'd love to see them make a new one without retina as without the albatross of all that graphics hanging around it's neck it would be super fast, possibly as fast as iPad mini 3.0 or 4.0 will undoubtedly be.  
  • Reply 19 of 75
    adefowleradefowler Posts: 29member


    So if this gets released in September will it be running iOS7? Hard to imagine Apple releasing a new iPad without it.

  • Reply 20 of 75
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,472member
    I have a very hard time believing this is true, that it's July and they still haven't figured out whether to adopt a retina display for the mini or not - they decide those things long before now, if they expect to put it in production and spend a month or more stockpiling the device in warehouses around the world so they can meet launch day demands. .

    Agreed. I have read that it takes 3 years from design stage to ship stage. If that is true the screen of the next Mini was probably decided a couple of years ago.
Sign In or Register to comment.