Microsoft slashes Surface RT prices by $150 as it flounders against Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    Oh, hate to be the grammar police, but one of my pet peeves is the incorrect substitution of "flounders" for "founders." It's very common and has almost taken over. Something like "butt" naked taking over for "buck" naked.

Unfortunately, dictionaries are accepting "flounder" as a substitute for "founder." I hate it too, but there you are.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chadmatic wrote: »
    It amazes me that Microsoft truly thought they could go head to head with Apple's iPad, especially when everybody else who has tried has failed miserably. Is it an ego, complete ignorance, or simply being a glutton for punishment?

So you'd just rather have it that Apple have a monopoly on tablets?
  • Reply 43 of 127
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

You mean people across the nation don't really want a tablet that inspires them to have breakdance and dubstep meetings in their conference rooms??! Shocking.

I thought it was the kickstand people couldn't do without. Or maybe it's all that drive space you get.

• Reply 44 of 127

MS forgot to have the mock funeral for the iPad so that says a lot about how they thought it was going to go.  even they didn't believe in it.

• Reply 45 of 127
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I take your point. but I don't think it is just a case of coming too late. :)

Apple has come "late" to a few markets. But unlike MS, Apple puts in the hard work (HW and SW) to bring a "game changer" to market.

MS continues to just bring crap products to market. Windows OS is a crap product and so is Office for that matter.

I wanted to say "Too little, too late", or "they reply late and poorly", but I was trying not to kick them when they're down.

• Reply 46 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I wanted to say "Too little, too late", or "they reply late and poorly", but I was trying not to kick them when they're down.

Very Zen of you! :)

• Reply 47 of 127
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

well, let's be fair. the abiity to have two windows open at a time *is* a useful feature. i'd love it. i'm an apple fan and stockholder, have a houseload of apple products, and will never buy a surface (or any microsoft product) but i could very much use the feature of having two windows open at once. to wit, safari for searching for stuff and iSSH for being connected to a machine, and not having to switch back and forth. that would be useful to me.

your attempt at sarcasm is misplaced and, to use your phrase, it is "stoopid."

There are some apps that you might want to look into. How about "Side by Side"?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/side-by-side-dropbox-support/id386528623?mt=8

• Reply 48 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

If they earned it, yeah. Microsoft tried something different. People hate it. Android tried stealing. People hate it, too.
  • Reply 49 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

It amazes me that Microsoft truly thought they could go head to head with Apple's iPad, especially when everybody else who has tried has failed miserably. Is it an ego, complete ignorance, or simply being a glutton for punishment?

Having just read Uncle Fester's memo to the MS troops (I'm a glutton for punishment), I can confidently say, it was mostly ego on Fester's part to think people want to suffer under Windows when there is an alternate. In fact he's all the more convinced the world wants windows. He doesn't get it that enterprise uses Windows because IT wants windows, and IT wants Windows because it gives the best job security (e.g. lots of busy work) for IT managers. 

With the advent of BYOD and the absence of MS Office on phones and tablets for the last five years, people have learned that they really can get by without MS Office, and in fact don't care all the much for Windows once they are unshackled from their desk. A door opened for Apple devices and the oppressed and captive Windows audience has tasted freedom from Windows and you can't stuff that back into a can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

But...but...it can have two windows open at once to do real multitasking! That stoopid iPad is so worthless since it can't do that. Apparently most consumers are just sheeple that can't realize the obvious superiority of Microsoft's tablet!

I had to laugh that the multitasking Microsoft demonstrated was watching a movie while designing a PowerPoint... hello! Has anyone here been able to watch a movie while focusing on designing a PowerPoint.? That's like teaching a classroom of 6-year-olds while taking 911 calls.

Now, had Microsoft shown how the Surface can allow you to listen to background music while designing a PowerPoint it would have meant far more sense, but then Apple's iDevices can do that already... 

How about designing a PowerPoint and taking phone calls (non-skype)...? Oops, MS Surfaces do not come with built-in phone as an option. The commercial where the scout was skyping while doing something else, would have required an open wifi connection that would reach far enough to connect out on the playing field... Not likely to happen.

• Reply 50 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Oh, hate to be the grammar police, but one of my pet peeves is the incorrect substitution of "flounders" for "founders." It's very common and has almost taken over. Something like "butt" naked taking over for "buck" naked.

Hmm.... English is not my first language, but is that really grammar you're discussing?

(If not, add posts like yours to my list of pet peeves.)

• Reply 51 of 127
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Unfortunately, dictionaries are accepting "flounder" as a substitute for "founder." I hate it too, but there you are.

That's because dictionaries do not dictate the English language. The users of the language do. This has always been the case for English.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I had to laugh that the multitasking Microsoft demonstrated was watching a movie while designing a PowerPoint... hello! Has anyone here been able to watch a movie while focusing on designing a PowerPoint.? That's like teaching a classroom of 6-year-olds while taking 911 calls.

Now, had Microsoft shown how the Surface can allow you to listen to background music while designing a PowerPoint it would have meant far more sense, but then Apple's iDevices can do that already... 

How about designing a PowerPoint and taking phone calls (non-skype)...? Oops, MS Surfaces do not come with built-in phone as an option. The commercial where the scout was skyping while doing something else, would have required an open wifi connection that would reach far enough to connect out on the playing field... Not likely to happen.

And that's my biggest problem with their commercials. They don't show anyone actually doing anything useful with a Surface. It's always really stupid things.

• Reply 52 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The very thought makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... say it again and again...

• Reply 53 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

But...it magically solves crimes for the Hawaii 5-0 team!  image

They must have found a unlocked wifi, because the surface can't phone home on its own nor does it have its own database. In fact the RT can't hardly run MS Office or a subset thereof.

• Reply 54 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "Microsoft slashes Surface RT prices by $150 as it flounders against Apple's iPad"

I think this is an insult to flounders.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

the RT was always DOA. they'll drop it another $100 to $249 for the Xmas sales. and then early next year finally to $149 to dump all the inventory.

and MS has to be crazy to bring out a RT2, whatever the size. there simply is no demand at all for this one-off product. it can't run W8 applications, and it can't run Windows Phone apps either. maybe they can make it into a 'second screen' device for the XBox next year @ $99 ... and sell a few thousand.

• Reply 56 of 127
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Depends. Did that get that monopoly buy making a better product that the vast majority of consumers want to buy over the competition or did they get that monopoly through underhanded tactics? If it's the former, sure. The latter, obviously not. Microsoft or any other company are not owed marketshare simply by existing.

• Reply 57 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Hell yes! Apple don't need competition to improve their products, they do it anyway!
  • Reply 58 of 127
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I had one of these at work for a while. The hardware was solid but I never understood the target market. Anyone who wants a Windows tablet surely wants it for compatibility with existing Windows software. The Surface RT doesn't offer that.

A big price cut isn't going to solve any of the core problems with the device.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Microsoft just made a really bad interface, there are a lot of apps on the iPad whereas there aren't that many on the Surface RT, and no one seems to be that interested in writing Surface RT apps. Chock this up to a massive failure, dump the remaining inventory and move along.

• Reply 60 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

well, let's be fair. the abiity to have two windows open at a time *is* a useful feature. i'd love it. i'm an apple fan and stockholder, have a houseload of apple products, and will never buy a surface (or any microsoft product) but i could very much use the feature of having two windows open at once. to wit, safari for searching for stuff and iSSH for being connected to a machine, and not having to switch back and forth. that would be useful to me.

your attempt at sarcasm is misplaced and, to use your phrase, it is "stoopid."

Submit your suggestions for new features to Apple Feedback directly.  The more people that submit the same request and it's something that is doable and a good idea, they'll get around to doing it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

So far with iOS 7, they adding about 75% to 80% of the ideas I've suggested, so they take into consideration what suggestions people have.  It's the whole concept behind this feedback site.  It gets the information routed to the right group of people.