Microsoft slashes Surface RT prices by $150 as it flounders against Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

But...but...it can have two windows open at once to do real multitasking! That stoopid iPad is so worthless since it can't do that. Apparently most consumers are just sheeple that can't realize the obvious superiority of Microsoft's tablet!

two windows open at once is a simple thing that Apple can add, but I'm sure it's something they want to make sure is done right.  One of the reasons why they didn't do FULL multitasking is that there are limited resources and battery life is a major factor they want to preserve.  Once they figured out how to do full multi-tasking that doesn't affect the battery, then they add it, which is in iOS 7.  Adding the two window feature is simple software and Apple may want to figure out the best way to do it.  Maybe Apple is working on a couple of ways to do it and trying to play around with it before they release it.  Apple does like to do things differently.  And how many times a day, does the average person use two apps on the screen?    I can see doing it every once in a while depending on what apps are being used, but not having it isn't that big of a deal.  You are taking one of the few advantages of the Surface and making it a deal breaker.  sorry, but it isn't that big of a deal.  Having darn near 400,000 apps to choose from is a bigger deal than having two screens open at the same time.

Now, as far as the Surface RT is concerned, there is so little software for it, it's not even funny.  The Developer community won't develop software for it other than the obvious ones.  But in certain industries, they won't support the thing.  Not enough suckers buying it.

Windows/Surface RT was a failure the second they released it.  It's going to be another failure, just like Zune.  Remember them?  Were you one of the suckers of Zune?

The Surface Pro is thicker, heavier, costs more than an iPad and it's just going after the ultrabook market, kind of, so it's not taking away business from the IPad market.  In order to use a keyboard, you have to sit at a table.  Most tablet users use them holding them in their hands, in case you haven't noticed.  If you want a keyboard, there are plenty of third party keyboard mfg that make them for the iPad and many of them will allow you to use either landscape or portrait mode, which is a failure with the Surface Pro tablets only letting you use landscape mode.

Now, if you want to ramble about a product that has CLEARLY failed in the market, go right ahead.  Remember, we can start listing the higher end professional applications that are used in a variety of different industries that are for iPad and NOT for Surface RT.

More and more airlines are outfitting pilots with iPads, same goes with hospitals, same goes with restaurants, retail stores, musicians, music production, video production, architects, interior designers, banks, law enforcement, the list just goes on and on.  Large Enterprise Accounts that buy iPads include Cisco, IBM, GE, Barklays, Korean Telecom, tons of school districts, universities, etc.  I don't know why you even bother your desperation tactics.

The only Surface I've ever seen outside an actual store was at an In And Out Burger that someone left behind at the cashier counter.  I didn't even bother to see if it was a RT or Pro, i just turned it in their lost and found and maybe the owner got their unit back.

When a company tries to sell a competing product to an Apple product and they don't sell well, that should tell you something.  When they drop the price significantly and STILL don't sell well, that should tell you that the company is dumping product for two reasons. 1.  They are taking up too much room in their warehouses and/or they are getting ready to release another updated version. But they generally want to clear the warehouses first, which is what they are doing.  Microsoft hasn't done too well in these portable devices market.  They might learn that they can't compete.  I was actually surprised they sold as few as they did, I thought there would be more Windows users buying into it, but I guess there aren't.

What's funny is that Apple wasn't trying to compete with anyone in the smartphone and tablet industry. They just came up with their idea of what a smartphone and tablet should be, they started to become successful and then everyone else wants to compete against Apple.

So in the mean time, go somewhere else and try to pitch the Zune RT, I mean the Surface RT.

• Reply 102 of 127

Quote:

But would anyone have wanted a turd-colored tablet? Or to "squirt" things at their friends?

Well, if you bought a Surface RT, instead of buying a turd-colored tablet, you bought a tablet that IS a turd.  

• Reply 103 of 127
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
    So in the mean time, go somewhere else and try to pitch the Zune RT, I mean the Surface RT.

I think you might have a problem understanding people that are attempting to be humorous, he was just being silly drblank.
  • Reply 104 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I think you might have a problem understanding people that are attempting to be humorous, he was just being silly drblank.

I think he actually thinks the Surface RT is better than an iPad and I don't think he was joking.   Let HIM explain himself.  

• Reply 105 of 127
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsysusa View Post

Attention editors: It is 'FOUNDERS' not 'FLOUNDERS.' Flounders are fish. Founder is a verb that describes a sinking ship.

Use your spare time to re-read that 8th grade grammar text.

Incorrect. I actually think flounders is perhaps more correct, if you're describing MS' entire tablet line.

"Founders" means basically to sink, with the same root as "foundation" (describing sinking down to the bottom).

"Flounders" is a slightly newer verb (only 400 years old) which has a similar meaning, but describes the struggle and "thrashing about" (like a fish, or a person drowning).

These days, the words are interchangeable; however, "founders" is more correct if you're describing the object failing or totally doomed (the Titanic foundered), whereas "flounders" is more apt if you're talking about something that's in the process of failing but may still pull through (Apple floundered for a while in the '90s).

Maybe open a dictionary before you tell people to go back to middle school.

• Reply 106 of 127
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Then there is the founder/flounder matter. I realize that as a living language,... Someone way back when simply confabulated founder with blunder, and the visual image of the fish in distress was simply too vivid to make its misuse go away. So there! ;-)

What you're describing is exactly how English (any many languages) works. If the origin of "founder" is indeed naval, then as you say someone could have applied the term to describe something else that was a blunder. And seeing a fish flop around, someone could have then used a similar word to paint another vivid image. And so on.

• Reply 107 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domicinator View Post

But I won't, because now I want to go find all the articles from last summer saying that the Surface was an iPad killer. I'm coming after you first, CNET.

FYI, places like CNET and ZDNet have their comment section filled to the rafters with "Reputation Managers" and suchlike, so good luck there.

• Reply 108 of 127

Quote:

They don't show anyone actually doing anything useful with a Surface. 

Apparently it makes you a kick-ass break-dancer...

• Reply 109 of 127

I would love to have a Microsoft Surface RT because the hardware has gotten good reviews. I just wouldn't use the OS. I would put Ubnutu on it. The only problem is that I haven't found any videos where someone has done this successfully with RT or the Pro. Apparently Microsoft has locked it down. Even with the UEFI handled on the Pro it isn't possible. If anybody knows of a video of someone successfully putting a different OS onto an RT let me know here.

• Reply 110 of 127
    I would love to have a Microsoft Surface RT because the hardware has gotten good reviews. I just wouldn't use the OS. I would put Ubnutu on it. The only problem is that I haven't found any videos where someone has done this successfully with RT or the Pro. Apparently Microsoft has locked it down. Even with the UEFI handled on the Pro it isn't possible. If anybody knows of a video of someone successfully putting a different OS onto an RT let me know here.

Surface RT, no, but the Surface Pro is easy enough.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    The Surface Pro is thicker, heavier, costs more than an iPad and it's just going after the ultrabook market, kind of, so it's not taking away business from the IPad market.  In order to use a keyboard, you have to sit at a table.  Most tablet users use them holding them in their hands, in case you haven't noticed.  If you want a keyboard, there are plenty of third party keyboard mfg that make them for the iPad and many of them will allow you to use either landscape or portrait mode, which is a failure with the Surface Pro tablets only letting you use landscape mode.
    Most tablet users that use an external keyboard use them while holding the whole thing in there hands? Seriously? How? Surley that has got to be the hardest thing to do!
  • Reply 112 of 127
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Most tablet users that use an external keyboard use them while holding the whole thing in there hands? Seriously? How? Surley that has got to be the hardest thing to do!

Really, I've never seen that. I personally only use the keyboard if I'm editing a source file or creating a doc and hardly ever bring along the external keyboard when I'm out and about.
  • Reply 113 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Really, I've never seen that. I personally only use the keyboard if I'm editing a source file or creating a doc and hardly ever bring along the external keyboard when I'm out and about.

Most people don't use an external keyboard.   How many people actually use a keyboard with an iPad? I've only seen three people use an iPad with a keyboard.  Most people don't use a keyboard with an iPad.  I tried it and felt it was something I didn't really like because I had to go back and forth between the keyboard and the screen.

The only time people will use a keyboard is if they are using a word processor and doing a lot of typing, but tablets aren't the preferred choice for that.  Desktops and laptops are because they have a bigger screen.

• Reply 114 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Most users don't use an external keyboard with tablets. I've only seen 3 or 4 people in the last couple of years publicly with an iPad and a keyboard.  Most users don't use them as word processors, which is about the only reason to need a physical keyboard.  I've yet to see someone use another brand tablet in public places. I only see people with iPads and maybe a Kindle, which retired people use to read books.

For using a word processor doing lots of typing I'll use a desktop or laptop, not a tablet.  Tablet screens are too small for doing lots of word processing.  Plus, I think most people would at least prefer to use the screen in portrait mode rather than landscape mode for word processing.

• Reply 115 of 127

Quote:

You must be stuck in Windows/Office mentality.  Most tablet users don't use them for doing lots of word processing, which is about the only reason to use a physical keyboard.  For light typing, people just use the on screen keyboard.  That's why Microsoft can't sell many Zune Tablets.  People aren't using them much for heavy word processing, the screen is too small.  I've seen retail clerks use iPads for inventory checking, cash registers and they either hold them in their hand or have them on a fixed stand and the amount of typing is minimal.

If I'm going to do lots of word processing, I would much prefer a large screen to see a full page along with the various formatting options, which means a DESKTOP computer, laptop connected to a bigger screen.  That's why I bought a 27 inch iMac.  It gives me enough screen space to have a browser and a word processor at the same time in full size so I can actually read what I'm typing.

I used a laptop with a 12 inch screen while going to college and I hated using the small screen, but that's all I had.

A 10inch tablet is just too small for that type of purpose.

Plus, the average person doesn't do much word processing.

• Reply 116 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The Surface RT getting good reviews?  Where? I haven't seen any that were that great.  All of the reviews I've seen the reviewer preferred the iPad.  Plus, there isn't much s/w on the Surface RT platform.  I think MS will probably discontinue the thing.  

Ubuntu?  Please.  There's not much in the way of apps for that platform.  

What do you plan on using a tablet for anyway?   What types of apps?

• Reply 117 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Why did you come here anyway?  DId you not realize that this is not a Windows or Ubuntu related site?

Get off your rear end and search for articles on putting Ubuntu on a Surface RT and quit wasting everyone's time.  Seriously.

Do you not know how to search for videos on YouTube?  Do you need someone else helping you?  I don't help Windows users unless you pay me for my time.  I charge Windows users $1000 an hour for my time.

• Reply 118 of 127
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You must be stuck in Windows/Office mentality.  Most tablet users don't use them for doing lots of word processing, which is about the only reason to use a physical keyboard.  For light typing, people just use the on screen keyboard.  That's why Microsoft can't sell many Zune Tablets.  People aren't using them much for heavy word processing, the screen is too small.  I've seen retail clerks use iPads for inventory checking, cash registers and they either hold them in their hand or have them on a fixed stand and the amount of typing is minimal.

If I'm going to do lots of word processing, I would much prefer a large screen to see a full page along with the various formatting options, which means a DESKTOP computer, laptop connected to a bigger screen.  That's why I bought a 27 inch iMac.  It gives me enough screen space to have a browser and a word processor at the same time in full size so I can actually read what I'm typing.

I used a laptop with a 12 inch screen while going to college and I hated using the small screen, but that's all I had.

A 10inch tablet is just too small for that type of purpose.

Plus, the average person doesn't do much word processing.

Your the one that mentioned the Surface Keyboard needing an actual Surface to use it on. Windows RT tablets have an on screen keyboard the same as iPads and there's hardly any difference typing on either of them. The windows one has a stylus mode for people that like that kind of thing but other than that there both as easy to type on.

So the fact that the touch cover needs to sit on a table is only relevant if external keyboard for a iPad don't also need a table, which looking at them unless your some kind of genius at holding the thing, I can't see how you would use one without a table.

• Reply 119 of 127

Quote:

Your the one that mentioned the Surface Keyboard needing an actual Surface to use it on. Windows RT tablets have an on screen keyboard the same as iPads and there's hardly any difference typing on either of them. The windows one has a stylus mode for people that like that kind of thing but other than that there both as easy to type on.

So the fact that the touch cover needs to sit on a table is only relevant if external keyboard for a iPad don't also need a table, which looking at them unless your some kind of genius at holding the thing, I can't see how you would use one without a table.

I use my iPad all of the time without a table.  I don't do a lot of typing on it since the apps I use don't require lots of typing.  For things where I do lots of typing, I'm on my 27in iMac.  I like having lots of real estate and I'm not one these poor schmucks that thinks that a tablet or a phone is going to completely replace the need for an actual desktop computer.

I was saying if one uses a tablet with a REAL keyboard, that you need a table.  But most iPad users don't use a keyboard, if they do, then they are sitting at a table.   YOu can't see how someone would use an iPad without a table?  Go to an Apple Store, they usually have people checking people into the Genius bar with an iPad in their hands and they don't sit at a table, they are holding them in their hands.  There are even third party cases for iPads with a built in thing to hold in one hand while you do everything else with your other hand.  I've been to retail stores where they had iPads doing either inventory searches or browsing the internet and they held them in their hands.

You obviously don't comprehend what I'm saying.  Let me talk S-L-O-W-E-R for you.

MOST IPAD USERS DO NOT USE AN EXTERNAL KEYBOARD.   If they do, they have to be at a table or desk.  But the majority of the IPAD users DO NOT use an external keyboard.

Does THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU?  Do you comprehend what I just wrote?

• Reply 120 of 127

MOST IPAD USERS DO NOT USE AN EXTERNAL KEYBOARD.   If they do, they have to be at a table or desk.  But the majority of the IPAD users DO NOT use an external keyboard.

Does THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU?  Do you comprehend what I just wrote?

I think everyone get's what you're saying but you obviously didn't comprehend what he was saying as he never mentioned how many iPad owners use a keyboard. He just mentioned that the Surface doesn't need a keyboard because it also has a virtual one and if people do you use one they'll do so on a table, like iPad users do if they use a keyboard. Nowhere in there did it mention the majority of iPad users use keyboards and how do you know how many people do and don't use keyboards. I sure see a lot of them when I go to the Apple Store, somebody better tell Logitech before they waste more money on making them.