Microsoft slashes Surface RT prices by $150 as it flounders against Apple's iPad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I think everyone get's what you're saying but you obviously didn't comprehend what he was saying as he never mentioned how many iPad owners use a keyboard. He just mentioned that the Surface doesn't need a keyboard because it also has a virtual one and if people do you use one they'll do so on a table, like iPad users do if they use a keyboard. Nowhere in there did it mention the majority of iPad users use keyboards and how do you know how many people do and don't use keyboards. I sure see a lot of them when I go to the Apple Store, somebody better tell Logitech before they waste more money on making them.

Relic, let others speak for themselves.  This is the second times you've done this.  Do you do this at work?

YOU REALLY need to grow up.  How many iPad users are there?  Quick guess?  tens of millions?  hundreds of millions?

Let's just say there are probably around 100 Million iPads sold, I know there are more sold, but this is good enough number for this purpose.

How much is 1% of let's say 100 million iPads?  That's 1 Million.  Well, is 1% of a BIG NUMBER STILL A BIG NUMBER?  Yeah.  So if 1% of the iPad users buy keyboards, that's STILL a lot of keyboards.  You multiply that by $10 or $20 net profit per keyboard and you have a nice little income for one product.  Is that the majority of the iPad users?  NO.  Did I say no one buys them?  NO. I said MOST iPad users don't use one.  Well, MOST iPad users is anything more than 50%.  Now, why is it that you opened your mouth in the first place?  Seriously Relic, you need to THINK about things.

No, he was meaning that people use the ipad with a keyboard standing up that he's never seen that.  Well, I never said they do in the first place.  But people use iPads (without that physical keyboard) standing up all of the time.  

• Reply 122 of 127
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

This thread was more fun when we were debating "flounders" vs. "founders".

• Reply 123 of 127
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    drblank wrote: »
    Relic, let others speak for themselves.  This is the second times you've done this.  Do you do this at work?

YOU REALLY need to grow up.  How many iPad users are there?  Quick guess?  tens of millions?  hundreds of millions?

Let's just say there are probably around 100 Million iPads sold, I know there are more sold, but this is good enough number for this purpose.

How much is 1% of let's say 100 million iPads?  That's 1 Million.  Well, is 1% of a BIG NUMBER STILL A BIG NUMBER?  Yeah.  So if 1% of the iPad users buy keyboards, that's STILL a lot of keyboards.  You multiply that by $10 or $20 net profit per keyboard and you have a nice little income for one product.  Is that the majority of the iPad users?  NO.  Did I say no one buys them?  NO. I said MOST iPad users don't use one.  Well, MOST iPad users is anything more than 50%.  Now, why is it that you opened your mouth in the first place?  Seriously Relic, you need to THINK about things.

No, he was meaning that people use the ipad with a keyboard standing up that he's never seen that.  Well, I never said they do in the first place.  But people use iPads (without that physical keyboard) standing up all of the time.  
    No relic is right. You mentioned that the touch cover for surface can only be used on a table and unless you were meaning the ipads external keyboard doesnt need a table as well, then so what? On both devices there an optional extra and both devices have on screen keyboard.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
     But people use iPads (without that physical keyboard) standing up all of the time.  

Then just say that, why did you have to reply so many times with same thing, "Most users don't use an external keyboard with tablets.", "MOST IPAD USERS DO NOT USE AN EXTERNAL KEYBOARD. ", "Most tablet users don't use them for doing lots of word processing," (what ever the hell that meant), "Most people don't use an external keyboard". All that because Tim was surprised to hear you say, "Most tablet users use them holding them in their hands, in case you haven't noticed." Then you went off with statistics and started in on things nobody was even talking about. I might need to grow up but you definitely need a hug you big'o teddy bear.:D
  • Reply 125 of 127
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The Surface isn't doing Facetime, it was running Skype. It's an important distinction because the Surface (RT or Pro) does not come with a built-in phone option. It can only do Skype over an open wifi. So, assuming there is a wifi running nearby, and its signal could reach the playing field, and the scout had password access, then he could do what the commercial suggested... if the wifi wasn't carrying other traffic and cause the skype video to breakup.

True, but that was not the point I was making. I know Facetime is only Apple. The point was needing both at the same time. 

• Reply 126 of 127
    semankasemanka Posts: 40member
    When I first saw the SRT I was like wow Microsoft must have something in it, but I was wrong to realize now it was slashed down to $350. Now my new thought is wow apparently this stuff is mediocre, inferior. Further I would thought the next thing Microsoft will be offering should be inferior, too. They had made a very high tech products for sure, but too bad it did not sell. Wasting so much efforts of unnecessary and not so elegant marketing and it all failed miserably. I have Iphone, iPad and MacBook, all of these work and function separately, but when I am in one of these device, anything I have done in the other device can be obtained at that moment as the result of the wonderful iCloud feature. This doesn't necessarily makes me an Apple fan or android hater, no. The essence is I want the money I spent worth it. Does Microsoft sell products that worth the money consumer spends? The answer should be returned to Microsoft itself.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by semanka View Post

When I first saw the SRT I was like wow Microsoft must have something in it, but I was wrong to realize now it was slashed down to $350. Now my new thought is wow apparently this stuff is mediocre, inferior. Further I would thought the next thing Microsoft will be offering should be inferior, too. They had made a very high tech products for sure, but too bad it did not sell. Wasting so much efforts of unnecessary and not so elegant marketing and it all failed miserably. I have Iphone, iPad and MacBook, all of these work and function separately, but when I am in one of these device, anything I have done in the other device can be obtained at that moment as the result of the wonderful iCloud feature. This doesn't necessarily makes me an Apple fan or android hater, no. The essence is I want the money I spent worth it. Does Microsoft sell products that worth the money consumer spends? The answer should be returned to Microsoft itself.

I've only seen one of these in person outside of a retail store.  Someone left it behind at the counter at an In N Out Burger.  I was tempted to just take it, but I just turned it in since the owner MAY want it back. I don't think they were leaving it behind for the next customer purposely.    I couldn't believe it at first, I thought it was one of those pads they have at counter tops at the cashier, but as I got closer I realized what it was. I played around with one at Best Buy just to see what the big deal was. Sure, there might be a feature here and there, but using the apps?  I hate cluttered apps with tiny little buttons you can barely see.  I found a few of the glitches people have been talking about and it just was a disappointment.  All of the marketing was around a kickstand and  keyboard cover.  REALLY? I have one of those Pong Research cases on my iPad so I can orient it with the cover's origami kickstand that does both landscape and portrait and table top mode for using with my fingers..  Keyboard? Never really liked using a tablet with a keyboard. I tried but didn't dig it.

Microsoft seems to only do well with keyboards, mice and that's the extent of their hardware expertise. 

I can't wait for iOS 7 and then iOS 8.