Haswell-powered iMacs could hit in late Aug., followed by new MacBook Pros in mid-Sept.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 140
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

kpluck View Post

The unfortunate part of the timing here is that they will not, in all likelihood, have the new Thunderbolt 20Gbps part. Personally, while it wouldn't be great for Apple's bottom line, I think they should hold off any new Thunderbolt equipped machines until they can be rolled out with the new chip.

But they always seem to be holding off for the next great component(s). Say that Thunderbolt 2 is almost ready to manufacture, but Bluetooth announces a new version coming in a few months. Will Apple wait for that as well? Oh, and by then, LG will have shaved 3mm off their retina displays, which will be mass produced just a few months later. Where does the eternal quest for future-proofing end?

Personally, I am not a fan of Macbooks receiving around one update a year. Tech moves faster than that. If they took a break from trying to make every point release a "product revolution," complete with making-of video, we could have newer components sooner. Surely we don't need a total ground-up redesign for every little chip update.

TEAMSWITCHER View Post

Unless Apple is willing to use "best in class" mobile graphics solution with a 256-bit memory interface, which would likely crush battery life, it's possible that ALL of the new MacBook Pros will sold without discrete graphics.

OS X has the framework to switch between integrated and discrete cards on the fly, based on criteria like power source and app usage (and can be tweaked further by 3rd party software). That leaves no reason to saddle everyone with integrated only.

Tallest Skil View Post

Are we really so lazy that saying "ten ay tee pea" is fine but "twenty-one six tea pea" is too hard?

Prolly.

But seriously, even 1080p is a misnomer, since it also refers to films shot in 2.39:1 or other aspect ratios with a lower vertical resolution.

hmm View Post

Only a couple oems ever go past the mid to upper-mid range gpus in a 15" notebook.

True, but they don't have to drive such a ridiculously high resolution.

• Reply 42 of 140
    karas11karas11 Posts: 32member

I want Mac Mini update with Haswell CPU.

• Reply 43 of 140
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You want sometimes you have to wait. Have patience.

• Reply 44 of 140
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    karas11 wrote: »
    I want Mac Mini update with Haswell CPU.

I wouldn't start to worry until the end of September. Hopefully Apple is going with hardware that will come out from Intel in that time frame. Frankly I think it will be worth the wait.
  • Reply 45 of 140
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

True, but they don't have to drive such a ridiculously high resolution.

We were talking about integrated vs discrete. Either can drive that amount of resolution for a number of tasks. It might be an issue for really taxing things, but retina lag is more likely a software issue than anything. For reference the 13" is roughly the same resolution as the 27", and no one mentioned such a problem with the thunderbolt display. Anyway they used a 650m in the current one. There's no reason they couldn't use the 7xx equivalent or whatever AMD has at the time of release.

• Reply 46 of 140
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

They are most likely coming out with a new MM in Sept sometime.Cosmetics could be different also.

• Reply 47 of 140
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    marvfox wrote: »
    They are most likely coming out with a new MM in Sept sometime. Cosmetics could be different also.

Source please?
  • Reply 48 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Source please?

He makes a lot of random comments, but they released one in September last year. If I had to guess I would say imacs will be refreshed just before the minis. The cpus with iris pro graphics all cost more than those in the current minis, so do not get your hopes up.

• Reply 49 of 140
    hmm wrote: »

He makes a lot of random comments, but they released one in September last year. If I had to guess I would say imacs will be refreshed just before the minis. The cpus with iris pro graphics all cost more than those in the current minis, so do not get your hopes up.

The problem is Apple is mental about early Mini updates relative to almost everything else. Even if the Mini was ready to go now, history would indicate that Apple will hold off on an update until after iMac and likely the laptops.
  • Reply 50 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is Apple is mental about early Mini updates relative to almost everything else. Even if the Mini was ready to go now, history would indicate that Apple will hold off on an update until after iMac and likely the laptops.

I know that. Typically it goes notebooks, imacs, minis. Last year was an exception as they couldn't play that game any longer. They still waited for the imac announcement.

• Reply 51 of 140

October to be exact. The event was about a week before Hurricane Sandy hit. The 2011 mini dropped in July and the 2010 mini sometime in June if memory serves.
  • Reply 52 of 140
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I can't imagine the Haswell iMac being particularly high on the to-do list considering the main point of Haswell is battery life.

I'd guess that they'll wait until 2014 before bothering as they can then throw in wifi ac and a few other updates at the same time, hopefully even retina.

I could be wrong though, they unnecessarily made it thinner so they could rush to unnecessarily increase power efficiency. Maybe it'll run cooler at the same speeds which wouldn't be a bad thing after the weight loss during the previous update.

I think you were getting somewhere in your second para....  ...or.... ...it could go this way, one supposes....

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This may or may not be true, it depends upon which chip Apple actually chooses. For the current machines Haswell has been a performance wash due to a focus on power savings. However the same tech that allows for cooler chips cold also lead to faster chips. Heat in CMOS devices is a function of clock rate, if Apple can up the clock rate while maintaining power levels Haswell could lead to a very nice iMac update. For the Mini that extra power budget will likely go to the GPU which would be a needed improvement.

What I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions based on current Haswell based machines.

Otherwise, yeah, TB 2.0, please (and on the retina MBP's), and at least 1080p-ish res on the 13" MBP (if it's retained as I suppose we expect).

• Reply 53 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

October to be exact. The event was about a week before Hurricane Sandy hit. The 2011 mini dropped in July and the 2010 mini sometime in June if memory serves.

The first 2011 macbook pros came out in February. They used Sandy chips. The early 2012s mbps were barely changed at all. I suspect the mini will come out around the same time as an imac update.

• Reply 54 of 140

I know that. Typically it goes notebooks, imacs, minis. Last year was an exception as they couldn't play that game any longer. They still waited for the imac announcement.

Lately it has been hard to tell what Apple will do. The fire sale prices on MBPs right now have me wondering if updates are coming earlier than I thought. It also has me concerned that the retinas aren't selling as well as some hoped for. I suspect that after the early adopter nut cases purchased their machines the rest of the buying public said no thank you to the sticker price in the retinas.

In any event as to the Mini, it really frustrates me that they can't see that platform as a stand alone solution. Most Mini customers have zero interest in the iMac so waiting for an iMac update is just non sense. So hopefully Apple is waiting for Intels chips coming in September. If the Mini debuts after these chips are released with a run of the mill Haswell that could have been had last month it will be another what the F$&@k moment.

Sometimes I'm not sure if Apple realizes that their marketing does more harm to the brand then good
  • Reply 55 of 140
    bigpics wrote: »
    I think you were getting somewhere in your second para....  ...or.... ...it could go this way, one supposes....

Otherwise, yeah, TB 2.0, please (and on the retina MBP's), and at least 1080p-ish res on the 13" MBP (if it's retained as I suppose we expect).
    TB2 in the Mini would be awesome but it might be a bridge too far for this year. If they did put TB 2 in the Mini we would have a very interesting platform to say the least.

1080P in the 13" MBP would certainly be useful to many. Having old eyes I'm not sure it would do much for me. What would make that 13" MBP far more interesting in my book would be a fast Iris implementation. That is a GPU that significantly puts some room between the AIR and the MBP. With the current MBP you get a good CPU boost over the AIR, but the GPU really doesn't justify the pro designation. For me the reason to get the "Pro" is the GPU. It is why I went for the 15" MBP, as it does impact the life of the machine.
  • Reply 56 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    marvfox wrote: »
    Cosmetics could be different also.

Why would they?
  • Reply 57 of 140
    Why would they?

That is a good question. I'm not bothered by the Minis case other than to think it is a tad small. However from a technical standpoint it could be improved thermally. Standing the boards vertically like is seen in the new WiFi boxes could provide for better more consistent cooling, possibly good enough to support a real video card. This would be sort of like a Mac Pro light.

The thing is the Mini works well as is. A minor overhaul would hurt if it gave us two TB 2 ports and some USB ports to the front.
  • Reply 58 of 140
    wizard69 wrote: »
    That is a good question. I'm not bothered by the Minis case other than to think it is a tad small. However from a technical standpoint it could be improved thermally. Standing the boards vertically like is seen in the new WiFi boxes could provide for better more consistent cooling, possibly good enough to support a real video card. This would be sort of like a Mac Pro light.

The thing is the Mini works well as is. A minor overhaul would hurt if it gave us two TB 2 ports and some USB ports to the front.

Personally I like all the ports in the back. I hope they do not get rid of the Ethernet port and use Thunderbolt to Ethernet though it may happen if it gets thinner.
  • Reply 59 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    The thing is the Mini works well as is.

Bingo. The only thing I could have seen is the new AirPort aesthetic, like you said. But they'd have to have a reason.
    …to the front.

Oh, you know that's never happening. :lol: It could do with two Thunderbolt, though. Every Mac should get at least four eventually. "Why, when a keyboard and mouse would never need that throughput?" Never mind that we won't be using either in a few years: physical size on the computer. You can fit three Thunderbolt on the logic board in the space of two USB.
  • Reply 60 of 140
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Winter View Post

marvfox View Post

They are most likely coming out with a new MM in Sept sometime. Cosmetics could be different also.

Source please?

SemiAccurate via MacRumors suggests a September release, but not an appearance alteration.

Of course, reliable sources pointed to an update during WWDC. Soon I will have a full saltshaker.