Google to take on Apple TV with $35 Chromecast streaming device for iOS & Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 226
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    This device looks better than AppleTV for the simple reason that it works with both iOS and Android devices, whereas AppleTV only works on iOS devices. It seems that it would be nice if friends were able to stream stuff to your TV regardless of whether they coincidentally happened to have the same brand of device as you.

I wonder if it can stream from Mac/Windows computers?

Yes, through the Chrome browser
  • Reply 22 of 226
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Dont know how "great" it is, because I havent used it.  And its more limited than AppleTV, it only does Youtube/Chrome/Netflix/Certain Play Apps.  But as someone who owns Apple everything (including 4 AppleTVs).. I'm willing to give this a try.  Especially at $35 bucks.  You figure the 3 months of Netflix access make it $11 anyways.  

Now I just need to purchase an Android device to stream to it.  Guess I could give the new Nexus7 a try at $230.  Dont worry, I'm quite sure neither of these devices will make me stop using my Apple products.  But its always nice to take a peek at the grass on the other side.  And more competition makes the consumer a winner.  

If I was Apple, I wouldnt even try and compete purely on price with Google's Chromecast.  I'd simply open up Airplay and allow native audio/video streaming on ALOT more devices.  Like TV's, monitors, car navigation, displays, etc.  Considering Airplay is already built into all iOS devices & Macs.. there's already an install base in the millions.  We just need more options to use Airplay on.. than our $99 AppleTV.  Well video atleast.  Airplay audio support is already built into speakers & A/V receivers.

• Reply 23 of 226
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    I was actually thinking before whether Apple does, or if it does not, why it doesn't, stream directly from AppleTV when you put something on your phone on AirPlay, and you're phone streams it from the Internet anyway. Wouldn't it eliminate some lag and inefficiency? Does AppleTV do this partially at least?
  • Reply 24 of 226
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I have to admit I don't entirely understand why many Apple customers make a virtue of the company having high profits. I mean: I like my iPad, but I would like it even better if I hadn't paid a considerable portion of its price directly into Apple's enormous pile of cash. 

Maybe all the people who feel this way are investors, which is a different and more obvious story. But why ordinary customers?

Because you get what you pay for. 

Also, the sum of the parts plus the customer service is actually often amazing value due to Apple's supply chain control. So good infact that competitors find it hard to compete, selling inferior products for equal or higher price.

• Reply 25 of 226
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    There goes Apple's big strategy with TV.

Or more realistic... the entire TV thing was a slight of hand to keep the competition focused on TV while Apple designs something radically different. Like robots or cars.
    Siri's getting a body boys... stay tuned.
  • Reply 26 of 226
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillio View Post

I was actually thinking before whether Apple does, or if it does not, why it doesn't, stream directly from AppleTV when you put something on your phone on AirPlay, and you're phone streams it from the Internet anyway. Wouldn't it eliminate some lag and inefficiency? Does AppleTV do this partially at least?

Not it doesnt. Airplay is a nice little mess of wifi all over the place. This is why it chokes with complex games.  Imo its much to better to run the apps on the Apple TV itself.

But airplay fine to stream video, photos and mirror a mac for example.

• Reply 27 of 226
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

This is a great bit of hardware. Anyone that actually bothered to do their research into what this is and what it can do will more than likely agree.

How is it great exactly? You can buy Blu-Ray players that can do DVDs, Blu-Ray, Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus, DLNA streaming and even do Facebook and Twitter for around 70 bucks. This junk is just a crippled Youtube/Netflix and music player with no other capabilities.

• Reply 28 of 226
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Dont know how "great" it is, because I havent used it.  And its more limited than AppleTV, it only does Youtube/Chrome/Netflix/Certain Play Apps. 

It's also more limited than even cheap (as in around 60-70 dollars) Blu-Ray players that have more features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Funny thing is I dont think they are all investors, they just like getting rip off :p  That being said I dont like tech race to bottoms on no margins, imo companies should be allowed a decent profit for R&D and rewards for there work.

Like getting ripped off? How is the AppleTV a ripoff at $100? It has tons of more features than this junky box has.

• Reply 29 of 226
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dillio wrote: »

It does if you don't use AirPlay: meaning if you use the AppleTV build-in apps (iTunes, YouTube etc)
  • Reply 30 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Now I just need to purchase an Android device to stream to it.  

No, it can stream from an iOS device. At one point during their press event they even used an iPhone to demonstrate that ability. 

• Reply 31 of 226

Bought it as soon as it was available on the "Play Store" great little hardware that works with all your current computing devices. Mirrors your chrome browser. It competes with AirPlay but not Apple TV, as AirPlay lets you stream content from your device, Chromecast streams content that's already on the public web.

Sold out in maybe 1-2 hours?

• Reply 32 of 226
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    This actually looks very interesting - well done Google!

• Reply 33 of 226
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mikejones wrote: »
    This junk is just a crippled Youtube/Netflix and music player with no other capabilities.

Also, don't forget to plug it into a wall outlet:

(edit: found a better pic)
  • Reply 34 of 226
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Now I just need to purchase an Android device to stream to it.  Guess I could give the new Nexus7 a try at $230.  Dont worry, I'm quite sure neither of these devices will make me stop using my Apple products.  But its always nice to take a peek at the grass on the other side.  And more competition makes the consumer a winner.  

If you have all Apple products including a Mac why not just use the free Chrome browser on OS X to stream to Chromecast? No need to buy an Android device. 

• Reply 35 of 226
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Does this access the Google Play store as well? Or is this just a local streaming receiver that plugs into your TV?
  • Reply 36 of 226
    I have a ps3 and a 360 but I still bought a Chromecast. I have Google play music all Access subscription and this is gonna be great to stream it through the surround system.

I also have some shows on the cloud that I can only access with my computer or my phone, and now I'll be able to stream it to the TV
  • Reply 37 of 226
    Wasn't there a company that makes a Wifi to HDMI dongle called iPush that costs around $30? It was compatible with AirPlay, Miracast as well as DLNA.
  • Reply 38 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

How is it great exactly? You can buy Blu-Ray players that can do DVDs, Blu-Ray, Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus, DLNA streaming and even do Facebook and Twitter for around 70 bucks. This junk is just a crippled Youtube/Netflix and music player with no other capabilities.

Go watch the video of the press conference and you will understand what I'm getting on about.

• Reply 39 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rain wrote: »
    There goes Apple's big strategy with TV.

Nice FUD.
    gwmac wrote: »
    If you have all Apple products including a Mac why not just use the free Chrome browser on OS X? 

Because Safari is better.
  • Reply 40 of 226
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Profits fuel innovation in Cupertino.  They enable Apple to take huge risks and come up with great, revolutionary products as opposed to cheap derivatives of others' work.  Whenever Tim Cook comes on a stage to show us the next big thing, it will be born out of that considerable portion of profit from your iPad.

Well, sure, but they've accumulated $140-some billion of profits that they have NOT used for innovation, so...