Google to take on Apple TV with $35 Chromecast streaming device for iOS & Android

Comments

• Reply 81 of 226
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    crosslad wrote: »
    The Chromecast power brick look bigger than the whole of the Apple TV

They are probably recycled ones from the Google TV thing that didn't sell. :D
  • Reply 82 of 226
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

If you don't have AirPlay in your product, then you don't have AirPlay in your product.

• Reply 83 of 226
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

So does it need a phone, computer, or tablet to work?  If it doesn't work by itself, it's kind of stupid.

People want to turn on the TV, turn on the device, then browse.  No one wants to turn on TV, turn on google device, turn on a second device, use the second device to find video, then push it to the google device.

• Reply 84 of 226
    How do either of those sentences make sense?
    Typo, improvable
  • Reply 85 of 226
    gordio wrote: »
    So does it need a phone, computer, or tablet to work?  If it doesn't work by itself, it's kind of stupid.

People want to turn on the TV, turn on the device, then browse.  No one wants to turn on TV, turn on google device, turn on a second device, use the second device to find video, then push it to the google device.

My point exactly. 99.9 % of the time 99.9% of AppleTV users are using the ATV stand alone I would suspect. If you need to stream from a device you can, and far more powerfully than the Google thingy, your entire desk top and ANY app too.
  • Reply 86 of 226
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Copied from another article.
    "There is nothing new here. You could buy something of this kind from China for at least two past years. Just google for Android TV (and may be add one of the following words A10, A9, A8, dongle). The price for these devices varies from $32 and upto $80 depending on configuration and manufacture's cost. All in all it is a miniature computer running Android (Linux for ARM microprocessor centered toward cell phones and tablets with touch screen). These devices is comparable to USB flash drive with HDMI connector and some of them have bluetooth for keyboard/mouse/headphones and etc and some include micro sdhc slot to put a card with capacity upto 64GB (keep your music, video on the card). You can install XBMC on such device and get access to a lot of content on internet (including video from torrents -- takes a little bit time to capture information from internet and process it before user can hit "play")."
  • Reply 87 of 226

One problem of Chromecast as compared to Apple TV.  With Apple TV, your iPhone/iPad battery will not be drained.  With Chromecast it will. 

• Reply 88 of 226
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

The TV turns on automatically when you start streaming from your iDevice. Assuming your iPad/phone is already on, there's nothing to turn on.

• Reply 89 of 226
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Copied from another article.
    "There is nothing new here. You could buy something of this kind from China for at least two past years. Just google for Android TV (and may be add one of the following words A10, A9, A8, dongle). The price for these devices varies from $32 and upto $80 depending on configuration and manufacture's cost. All in all it is a miniature computer running Android (Linux for ARM microprocessor centered toward cell phones and tablets with touch screen). These devices is comparable to USB flash drive with HDMI connector and some of them have bluetooth for keyboard/mouse/headphones and etc and some include micro sdhc slot to put a card with capacity upto 64GB (keep your music, video on the card). You can install XBMC on such device and get access to a lot of content on internet (including video from torrents -- takes a little bit time to capture information from internet and process it before user can hit "play")."

I wonder if they can get infected and become a security risk?
  • Reply 90 of 226
    patpatpat wrote: »
    The TV turns on automatically when you start streaming from your iDevice. Assuming your iPad/phone is already on, there's nothing to turn on.

I think totally missed his point of the question you answered. Yes it will work as soon as you select it but you have to use a device such as an iPad, Mac or iPhone and keep that device running. The AppleTV doesn't need a device, it works all alone!
  • Reply 91 of 226
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Chromecast uses the Chrome OS. So you are forced to use Chrome OS. You can't just put Windows or iOS or another Linux into it.

It itself can't stream video from the internet. You can't use it independently of another computing device like an Android phone or iOS device. That device does the actual streaming. Chromecast simply receives the streaming from the device.

AppleTV on the other hand can act independently of other devices. It can stream from Netflix on its own - as well as Hulu, etc. And it can stream from iTunes servers - including PCs, Network Attached Storage devices, Macs and iOS devices. Just like Google argues, you are not locked in to OS X or iOS for the external device you are using to stream to AppleTV.

And in the future, AppleTV can grow up into a gaming console.
  • Reply 92 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

One problem of Chromecast as compared to Apple TV.  With Apple TV, your iPhone/iPad battery will not be drained.  With Chromecast it will. 

Did you actually watch the presentation? No streaming happens from phone to Chromecast, your phone just tells Chromecast to start playing the stream, Chromecast goes out to web and retrieves stream by itself. No extra drain on your phone. Unless you count normal usage as drain.

• Reply 93 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think totally missed his point of the question you answered. Yes it will work as soon as you select it but you have to use a device such as an iPad, Mac or iPhone and keep that device running. The AppleTV doesn't need a device, it works all alone!

Again No. The phone tells the Chromecast to play a stream from the web. No more phone/iDevice interaction is needed. You can sleep or even turn off your phone. The stream does not come from your iDevice, only the command to the Chromecast. 

• Reply 94 of 226
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Mmmm.. I don't think you got my meaning when I said 'ties up' . How about 'required' instead? Try leaving the house with the device that was streaming to the Google thingy, to go shopping or whatever, and see how the rest of the family enjoy looking at a the blank TV screen after you left! image

According to the writeups, once you tell it to stream a movie from Netflix the stream will take place without going thru your mobile device.  It will go from the router to the Chromecast.  In your example the movie should still play until the end.  After that they're SOL until a mobile device comes back to give it new instructions.  I suspect someone else in the family will have a mobile device, but I assume you're referring to a family that only has one mobile device in the household.

Quote:

How will Chromecast drain your battery?

• Reply 95 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Did you actually watch the presentation? No streaming happens from phone to Chromecast, your phone just tells Chromecast to start playing the stream, Chromecast goes out to web and retrieves stream by itself. No extra drain on your phone. Unless you count normal usage as drain.

I do not see what you said in the presentation.  The AI article said Chromecast stream and queue material from Android and iOS devices.  Do you know what is streaming?  It means what you see on the Android and iOS devices is streamed to Chromecast too.  This useage is different from Apple TV. 

• Reply 96 of 226
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

It itself can't stream video from the internet. You can't use it independently of another computing device like an Android phone or iOS device. That device does the actual streaming. Chromecast simply receives the streaming from the device.

You also seem to be mistaken.  Chromecast receives instructions from the mobile device and then receives the streaming media from your router.

• Reply 97 of 226

Quote:

Mmmm.. I don't think you got my meaning when I said 'ties up' . How about 'required' instead? Try leaving the house with the device that was streaming to the Google thingy, to go shopping or whatever, and see how the rest of the family enjoy looking at a the blank TV screen after you left! image

The same is true for Airplay. This is not a direct replacement for appleTV it is an alternative to Airplay. Though it will support many of the features appleTV does. You'll find most homes have multiple tablet/smartphone devices. In my house right now I have 5 Mac/PC devices, 4 smartphones and 2 tablets all which can connect to any Chromecast device in the house without need for an AppleTV. I'd say my house is fairly average.

• Reply 98 of 226
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

You also seem to be mistaken.  Chromecast receives instructions from the mobile device and then receives the streaming media from your router.

Seems to be a bit of an awkward hybrid - you can't use it without another device to act as controller, but you also can't use it without an independent internet connection to act as a source.  So no OOB video from the device, and no video streamed from your mobile device.

Is that right?

• Reply 99 of 226

Quote:

I do not see what you said in the presentation.  The AI article said Chromecast stream and queue material from Android and iOS devices.  Do you know what is streaming?  It means what you see on the Android and iOS devices is streamed to Chromecast too.  This useage is different from Apple TV. 

Here you go.

• Reply 100 of 226
    Nice FUD.
    Because Safari is better.

How so?