Google to take on Apple TV with $35 Chromecast streaming device for iOS & Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 226

Great product, but a little expensive for only being a steaming dongle plus one needs to have a google device to make it work!

Apple TV only needs a TV.

Have fun with it.

• Reply 42 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyCanada View Post

one needs to have a google device to make it work!

False. Once again people are jumping to conclusions off of a fraction of information.

• Reply 43 of 226

Such FUD:  "we will not force you to have the same operating system on all your devices.".

There are plenty of devices and software that let you use the AirPlay protocol to stream in or out videos and music.  We use AirServer to connect Windows to AppleTV. There is even AirMusic software that steams Android music to AirPlay compatible devices.

• Reply 44 of 226
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Because you get what you pay for. 

Then maybe Apple's prices aren't high enough? Would a 100% markup would make you feel even better about your purchase?

Just to be clear: I'm not saying I don't think I got my money's worth for my iPad. I'm just trying to understand the psychology of non-investors being really excited about paying substantially in excess of cost (and remember that profits come after the costs of all that great customer service, etc., etc.). 

Investors, I get. Apple fans, maybe it's something like keeping score between your team and rivals? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty basic violation of Economics 101 for customers to be excited about the products they buy producing high profits for the companies that sell them. 

• Reply 45 of 226
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Google has taken a particularly aggressive stance with regard to the device's pricing. At $35, it is just over one-third of the price of an Apple TV device. Apple's diminutive set-top box is <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/16/apple-tv-grabbed-56-of-streaming-devices-market-in-2012">by far the most popular</a> among streaming devices according to one recent measure.

Apple must take Google search on agressively - giving adverts away for free or at least just cover costs. Google has played this game before to destroy competitors. Like maps, it can build and grow and make meaningless Google's whole raison d'etre.
  • Reply 46 of 226
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    It does tie up a device to do the actual streaming though. My Apple TVs are totally stand alone for things like Netflix or browsing my Photo Stream. Unless I happen to want to stream something from my iPad or Mac to the TV, like the entire Mac desktop, oh wait the Google thingy can't do that can it?
  • Reply 47 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Such FUD:  "we will not force you to have the same operating system on all your devices.".

There are plenty of devices and software that let you use the AirPlay protocol to stream in or out videos and music.  We use AirServer to connect Windows to AppleTV. There is even AirMusic software that steams Android music to AirPlay compatible devices.

FALSE! Anyone can program this feature into their apps.

"Developer preview of the Google Cast SDK being published today with libraries for iOS, Android, and Chrome"

"Apps send video to the Chromecast through the new Google Cast SDK"

Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7171/googles-breakfast-with-sundar-pichai-event-live-blog

• Reply 48 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

False. Once again people are jumping to conclusions off of a fraction of information.

Gosh ... people need a some type of IOS / computer thingy to make the Google dongle work.

Dongle :)

Apple TV:  needs only a TV. 

• Reply 49 of 226
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    We won't force you to have the same operating system on all your devices, but we will force you to use a device unlike other beloved hobbies that can work as a standalone piece for your TV. And we will force you to stick it behind your TV panel putting it in probably the least optimal position for a good WiFi signal.

"Google %u2013 Everything you love about Apple %u2013 just lesser quality."
  • Reply 50 of 226
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

The only reason I "worry" about Google or Amazon selling products with zero or negative margin is because I know they have a plan to make money on it somehow.  For Amazon it's to build/support their monopoly power on content; for Google isn't usually so they can generate more ad revenue.  At least with Apple you don't have to guess about what's in it for them.

• Reply 51 of 226
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I bought mine. You get three months of free Netflix too.

its a netflix three months free trial, same as with any device on the planet, or even just going to netflix.com.  Its for new users only as far as I can tell.

• Reply 52 of 226
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

If you haven't already watched the press event, then check out the video below. ChromeCast info starts at 0:37:11 LINK!!!

• Reply 53 of 226
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyCanada View Post

Gosh ... people need a some type of IOS / computer thingy to make the Google dongle work.

Dongle :)

Apple TV:  needs only a TV. 

What?

Have you even looked at it?  All Chromecast needs is an HDMI port. Same as Apple TV.

• Reply 54 of 226
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Also, don't forget to plug it into a wall outlet:

(edit: found a better pic)

Yeah, because Apple TV doesn't have to plug into a wall outlet?

• Reply 55 of 226
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    malax wrote: »
    The only reason I "worry" about Google or Amazon selling products with zero or negative margin is because I know they have a plan to make money on it somehow.  For Amazon it's to build/support their monopoly power on content; for Google isn't usually so they can generate more ad revenue.  At least with Apple you don't have to guess about what's in it for them.
    D
    I feel exactly the same way. Only reason google is making this device is to exploit its users. Same reason they make the chrome browser. It has nothing to do with making a profit on the HW. The buyer is the product via exploitation.
    No thanks. You want cross platform go buy a Roko or install 3rd party airplay apps on Windows and Android clients
    . How much is your privacy worth? Hopefully more than $65 per TV. What does this work out to spread over the life of the TV? Less than a dollar a month? Yeah. Great deal. Right.
  • Reply 56 of 226
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    arlor wrote: »
    Then maybe Apple's prices aren't high enough? Would a 100% markup would make you feel even better about your purchase?

I would. Heck, make it all 500% more expensive; we'd have way less complaints, and way less annoying posts (not from you, mind you)

lakings33 wrote: »
    BreakfastSundar-723_575px.jpg

Web apps? That's sooo 2007¡
    allenbf wrote: »

No. I mean people get excited about the thing only being 2 inches, which is clearly not the case.
  • Reply 57 of 226
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

If you think this product will compete with Apple TV then you don't understand the goals of Apple TV. Seriously, businesses are buying Apple TV systems for conference streaming events, multi-display Kiosks, etc.

• Reply 58 of 226
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    allenbf wrote: »

At least the AppleTV doesn't need an additional device, costing at the very least, hundred of dollars streaming to it to be of any use! :p
  • Reply 59 of 226
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Another lousy idea from Larry and The L team ...

• Reply 60 of 226
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    This looks more like it competes with this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

I can't believe that cable costs $49. The Apple TV at least can be bought and used to run Netflix or the other apps listed here:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

and has its own remote. So someone can buy one and actually use it on its own without a computer or anything else. The following is an older link but Netflix seems to be quite popular on the Apple TV:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/26/netflix_apple_tv_streaming_more_movies_than_ipad.html

If the idea was to have independent streaming boxes everywhere in the house, I'd say the Apple TV would be a better setup. If each TV had a device nearby at all times, the Chromecast would be more cost-effective. Ethernet is also more stable a connection for constant streaming.

Apple's strategy is to make money on hardware, Google makes money from advertising and sells hardware most of the time at break-even. Apple would perhaps be better off replacing the AV adaptor with a wireless connection but it would kill some Apple TV sales and bring in more latency vs the cable.

It doesn't look like the Chromecast does wifi direct either so jammed behind a TV, it might not get a decent signal. Apple TV is rumoured to get wifi direct this year:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57502154-37/apples-airplay-tech-to-work-without-wi-fi-report-says/