Google's Chromecast is a Roku alternative, not a cheaper Apple TV AirPlay option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 148
    I find articles such as this to be very amusing. The article was written with a significant slant without hands on experience. It provides pundents with ammunition without first hand trials and comparisons. I will wait and see it first hand. Particularly amusing are the references to copying and innovation while holding up Apple as an example. In the words of Steve Jobs' "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal". One needs only look at iOS7 for a real world example of Jobs' legacy. The interface is clearly inspired by several other OS's.

I understand the premise though. Without the slant the article would never be featured. Sacrifice integrity for notoriety. As I said, thank you for the amusement. :)
  • Reply 42 of 148
    They interviewed a guy that develops the songza app, and he said it something that I think is the reason this dongle is amazing. He said Google just gave app developers access to the consumers living room.

Developers don't have to waste time developing for Roku or Google TV or Apple TV. They can just add lines of code to their app, and the app instantly has access to the TV.

I'm sure in the near future, most music apps will add Chromecast support, most video apps. I won't be surprised if Dropbox, Google Drive, and maybe Skydive start implementing Google Cast support.

So to everyone saying "just get A Roku". Right now Roku has more apps, but it won't in a year.
  • Reply 43 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Personally, I wouldn't have an Google/Android anything, MS/Windows product anywhere in my home, car, office, or pocket. They are just sub-par copies with a few "fartsy" differences. And, overall, the build quality of the HW and SW sucks.

P.S. I also don't have any Samsung products in my home, either. Just as a matter of principle.

I am guessiing you don't watch youtube either :)

• Reply 44 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloriousUnseen View Post

I bought a Macbook Pro, used it for three months then gave it away

Liar Liar pants on fire

• Reply 45 of 148
    They interviewed a guy that develops the songza app, and he said it something that I think is the reason this dongle is amazing. He said Google just gave app developers access to the consumers living room.

Developers don't have to waste time developing for Roku or Google TV or Apple TV. They can just add lines of code to their app, and the app instantly has access to the TV.

I'm sure in the near future, most music apps will add Chromecast support, most video apps. I won't be surprised if Dropbox, Google Drive, and maybe Skydive start implementing Google Cast support.

So to everyone saying "just get A Roku". Right now Roku has more apps, but it won't in a year.

Isn't appleTV also going to get the App Store at some point soon? I think S. Jobs said as much. Also, I play my iOS games from iPad or iPhone on my projector screen through AirPlay mirroring.
  • Reply 46 of 148

Google sure did hire a good 'Reputation Management' team to combat negative reviews this time. 

• Reply 47 of 148
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Why waste $35 on the Chromecast when you can get the Roku LT for only $15 more?

The Roku LT does much much more than Chromecast.

You don't need additional hardware to use the Roku. You don't need to have a smartphone to use the Roku. You don't need to whip out your smartphone every time you want to watch TV on the Roku.

After a while, having to find and whip out your smart phone just to watch TV will become a pain on Chromecast.

Because it's $15 more.  For the price of two Roku LT or one Apple TV, somebody could buy 3 Chromecasts for every TV in the house.  If all they do is watch Youtube and Netflix, that's a very economical solution.

I remember a time when Apple fans used to argue that leaving out some functionality to make a device simple and easy to use was a virtue.  This is exactly like that.  There's been lots of different devices that do what this does.  None have been as cheap or as easy to setup and use and as compatible with all your different devices.  That's the point.

People are overthinking this.  It's not going to replace TV yet.  It's not even really competing with Apple TV (where the topline sales feature is Airplay).  But it might do damage to the likes of Roku, where I suspect there's lots of people who pick them up just to watch Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

This is just as ridiculous as the nexus q! ..only masked by the cheap price (relative to the q, that is). But it's ok, it doesn't mean that google makes crappy products; they're "experimenters," which means they can put out poorly thought out and poorly implemented products, one after another, because they are 'learning experiences.' But after so many failed experiments, it appears that googlers are pretty slow learners.

What some consider a vice, others consider a virtue.  A great thing about Google is that they experiment and they aren't afraid to kill experiments that fail.  Better than being some staid corporation (say like MS) that's afraid to take any risks. As for whether this will succeed?  At this price point, I really can't see it failing....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Exactly.   That SDK is huge.  Basically, in due course virtually every major media app on Android and iOS will support Chromecast.  And at this price point, I could see this thing becoming quite popular.

Worst case scenario?  Bit of competition forces Apple to innovate on Apple TV and cut the price....

• Reply 48 of 148
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    But I thought google was already in every tv? /s

I'm for cutting the cord but this wouldn't help me and I don't see the wife ever using it. I'll stick with my gen one appletv and Roku 3 till new AppleTV allows Amazon Prime streaming.
  • Reply 49 of 148
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdarlington1 View Post

Isn't appleTV also going to get the App Store at some point soon? I think S. Jobs said as much. Also, I play my iOS games from iPad or iPhone on my projector screen through AirPlay mirroring.

Great if it happens.  But Chromecast will still be less work for a developer.  Little bit of work to make your Android and iOS app compatible with Chromecast.  Or work to make a standalone Apple TV app.

That said, I sure would like an Apple TV App Store.  The functionality/utility is limited for me right now.

• Reply 50 of 148
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Google cancelled Netflix deal.

WTF?

Also, if you want something to stream "web video", isn't Roku at $50 a much better deal. You get way more than this.

It can't stream video and audio on your device, only on your Chrome browser. Why do people compare it to AirPlay?
    No doubt for only $15 more Roku is a much better deal
  • Reply 51 of 148
    gwmac wrote: »
    This would certainly be an easy to way watch Hulu content on your TV without paying the monthly fee. Also the network sites like ABC, NBC, etc..that stream full episodes. I use a PS3 for Netflix and also Plex to stream content from my Mac but for streaming website content directly I simply connected my Mac directly to my TV with an HDMI cable. So for me at least this seems like a very cheap and easy way to remove a little cable clutter and not need to have my Mac running if I want to watch online content. I can see it appealing to a lot of other console owner who want that final missing piece of direct web content for just $35. With a PS3 I really don't need an Apple TV since it duplicates the functionality and I wouldn't use Airplay. I can see this selling very well but acknowledge it is a far inferior product to the Apple TV but I think it does fill an important niche for web content and I can even see people with an Apple TV also buying this to use along with the ATV. 

Hold on. You can't mirror the content you talk about above to AppleTV via AirPlay?
  • Reply 52 of 148
    31 flavas wrote: »
         Quote:

To their credit -- Chromestick would be pretty neat and advanced if you are stuck with Windows (by choice or not) as nothing like AirPlay exists for Windows / 'droid.

Then again, these are likely the same people that have dismissed the tech when it was first introduced. (likely dismiss Apple out of hand / dismissed iPod / iPhone / iPad, etc..) And now they want us to give Google an "atta boy" ? To admit someone has out done Apple?
    You can buy apps for Windows and Android which enable AirPlay.
  • Reply 53 of 148
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloriousUnseen View Post

But iPhones and iPads aren't the best in my opinion so I can't get an Apple TV. 

LOL! What's the connection between AppleTV and iPhones/iPads!? Answer: None.

You probably shouldn't have 'given away' your Mac. (Although, you don't really need that either for an AppleTV....) image

• Reply 54 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Why waste $35 on the Chromecast when you can get the Roku LT for only $15 more?

The Roku LT does much much more than Chromecast.

You don't need additional hardware to use the Roku. You don't need to have a smartphone to use the Roku. You don't need to whip out your smartphone every time you want to watch TV on the Roku.

After a while, having to find and whip out your smart phone just to watch TV will become a pain on Chromecast.

All true, and all true of AppleTV too.

• Reply 55 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

I find articles such as this to be very amusing. The article was written with a significant slant without hands on experience. It provides pundents with ammunition without first hand trials and comparisons.

Not that it takes hands on experience for Windows or 'droid pundits to dismiss anything Apple makes. I mean, reviews of the iPhone and iPad weren't written with "significant slant" ?

Oh, but we should celebrate Windows RT and not call it the turd that it is.

• Reply 56 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Hold on. You can't mirror the content you talk about above to AppleTV via AirPlay?

You can mirror any content from any (wifi-capable) iOS device or Mac via AirPlay.

(Not sure if your question was rhetorical).

• Reply 57 of 148
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    You made some pretty big assumptions that just because people don't like a product it's because they are unhappy with a different brand. That's not true, but I digress.

I do wish Apple TV would work with other devices. That's a big reason I won't get one. I've been in the Apple ecosystem. I bought a Macbook Pro, used it for three months then gave it away. I do enjoy my iPod, though. I'm not brand loyal. I choose the best product regardless of brand.

That being said, Apple TV does have my attention and it's a serious product. But iPhones and iPads aren't the best in my opinion so I can't get an Apple TV. Which is unfortunate because I was actually excited about that device.

You should really wait until you have at least 10 posts under your belt before Trolling. You have no sense of couth.
  • Reply 58 of 148

Budget to support 1 Yr  Internet TV Streaming with ChromeCast

Big 1080p HDTV = ~$1000

SmartPhone or Tablet = ~$500 

Broadband $40/mo *12 mo = ~$500

Netflix $8/mo * 12 mo  = ~100

==========================

Total ~$2100

Price wiling to Budget for streaming device.  $35.   ChromeCast percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above. ~1.67%

Compare to "Expensive" AppleTV. $99.  AppleTV percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above ~4.7%. 

I just don't get what motivates people to get so laser focused on saving money on the small stuff.  It's entertaining to see so many willing to trip over dollars, trying to pick up pennies. To invest so much money on setup and services only to go cheap on the part that actually drives the viewing experience.  Its like buying a Ferrari and then driving around for hours looking for the cheapest no-brand minimal grade fuel you can find.   

• Reply 59 of 148
    Word to Daniel Eran Dilger, Chromecast would be well-served to be compared to Roku. For this one simple reason:

Roku's sales numbers are more or less US only while Apple's numbers are global. This is because Roku can only sell to geographies where their content deals apply. In other words, they're neck and neck in the US and some commentators actually suggest Roku outsells Apple here.

That's besides the fact that Roku offers a lot more content than Apple (and a heck of a lot more content than Chroemcast).

The premise of your article is nonsensical.
  • Reply 60 of 148
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    snova wrote: »
    Budget to support 1 Yr  Internet TV Streaming with ChromeCast

Big 1080p HDTV = ~$1000
    SmartPhone or Tablet = ~$500 
    Broadband $40/mo *12 mo = ~$500
    Netflix $8/mo * 12 mo  = ~100
    ==========================
    Total ~$2100

Price wiling to Budget for streaming device.  $35.   ChromeCast percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above. ~1.67%
    Compare to "Expensive" AppleTV. $99.  AppleTV percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above ~4.7%. 

I just don't get what motivates people to get so laser focused on saving money on the small stuff.  It's entertaining to see so many willing to trip over dollars, trying to pick up pennies. To invest so much money on setup and services only to go cheap on the part that actually drives the viewing experience.  Its like buying a Ferrari and then driving around for hours looking for the cheapest no-brand minimal grade fuel you can find.   

I totally agree, I use a Mac Mini as my TV hub.:D