Google's Chromecast is a Roku alternative, not a cheaper Apple TV AirPlay option

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    This review focuses more on Google's past failure than what this Chromecast device ACTUALLY does.

For Netflix and youtube, it's great. Video plays perfectly, as good as on my desktop.

• Reply 142 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, this POS chromestick stutters and has choppy playback and out of sync audio?image

I guess that it will appeal to Fandroids and other cheapskates who do not have very high standards. image

Actually, I've been using it all this weekend.  It plays Netflix very well - as good as on my desktop.  Why are the people on here so personally invested in the failure of Apple's competitors?  Doesn't make sense at all.

• Reply 143 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You can't say "Google's approach for streaming Netflix is superior" when Apple's approach is actually for you to use the AppleTV to stream Netflix directly. Apple doesn't even require that you own any iPhone, iPad, or Mac to use AppleTV. That's a simpler approach.

That's true.  But then in the case of purely streaming Netflix, the $35 Chromecast and the $99 ATV is doing the same thing.  Streaming netflix natively.  However, the tablet/laptop interface for netflix navigation is much better than the remote control method.  If you want to use your tablet/phone to navigate netflix, you can't send that selection to the ATV to stream natively - you end up streaming from the tablet and mirroring.  

The thing is a lot of people here are saying that the $99 ATV ALSO does awesome display mirroring, which the Chromecast doesn't.  They're ignoring the fact that the mirroring only works if you have a 2-year or newer iPad/Macbook. 

• Reply 144 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Also, if you want something to stream "web video", isn't Roku at $50 a much better deal. You get way more than this.

It can't stream video and audio on your device, only on your Chrome browser. Why do people compare it to AirPlay?

Airplay only works if you have a 2011 or newer iDevice that's capable of GPU level h264 encoding.  If all you need is Netflix (that covers a lot of consumers), ATV's mirroring function adds no value to you.  Especially if you don't have a newer iDevice.  ATV users who don't use the mirroring are paying $64 too much.

• Reply 145 of 148
    scott rscott r Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericread View Post

Airplay only works if you have a 2011 or newer iDevice that's capable of GPU level h264 encoding.  If all you need is Netflix (that covers a lot of consumers), ATV's mirroring function adds no value to you.  Especially if you don't have a newer iDevice.  ATV users who don't use the mirroring are paying $64 too much.

AirPlay *Mirroring* requires a newer device (though I'd argue that "newer" might not even be that accurate anymore - I suspect many Apple TV owners have some iOS device or Mac made within the last 2 years).  But I'm pretty sure that any app that has built-in support for AirPlay (not Mirroring) doesn't even require that new of a device.

• Reply 146 of 148
    ericread wrote: »
    The thing is a lot of people here are saying that the $99 ATV ALSO does awesome display mirroring, which the Chromecast doesn't.  They're ignoring the fact that the mirroring only works if you have a 2-year or newer iPad/Macbook. 

Personally the more I read the more I learn and Chromecast is becoming an interest if only Google would sell it profiting from the sale and not benefitting from the sale to earn through ads. It is not for me but it is a promising product, though people should accept that there is a reason for the price difference when comparing it to an Apple TV. You're in an Apple fan page, they are not ignoring, people here just have no problem owning apple devices.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Hulu is the latest media provider announcing they'll come on board with the Chromecast, joining Redbox, Vimeo, Pandora, Discovery and apparently HBO in giving it the thumbs up.
    http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/hulu-plans-to-hook-subscription-service-into-google-chromecast-1200570400/
  • Reply 148 of 148
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericread View Post

Nonsense. The ATV is also a set top box, and doesn't require a phone, whereas Chromecast does. I don't always want to use my phone to control the TV. Especially if the wife and I are watching something.

In fact, other than the original novelty or streaming photo slideshows, I rarely use AirPlay or Mirroring at all. Almost everything I do is through the ATV interface directly.