Google's Chromecast is a Roku alternative, not a cheaper Apple TV AirPlay option

Comments

• Reply 61 of 148
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jetz wrote: »
    What some consider a vice, others consider a virtue.

Yeah, like my cocaine habit.
  • Reply 62 of 148
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can mirror any content from any (wifi-capable) iOS device or Mac via AirPlay.

(Not sure if your question was rhetorical).

It was rhetorical. I appreciate your response for those who were not sure of the intent of my curious looking inquiry.  

• Reply 63 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yeah, like my cocaine habit.

If I were Google, I would release product "experiments" using someone else brand name first to see if they stick. Hey, there is an idea.

• Reply 64 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

You can buy apps for Windows and Android which enable AirPlay.

So why doesn't Chromestick use it then? Or DLNA or WiDi or Miracast or anything else. Why not at least pull a Samsung and just clone it. Why hasn't Samesung done this already? Chromestick should be AirPlay (or ChomePlay or whatever) on a $35 stick with improvements because Google just makes everything better. What's with the convoluted method that Chromestick uses?

Moreover, since you can just "buy" AirPlay for Windows / droid why even buy a Chromestick in the first place. AirPlay is way better then Chromestick.

Oh, right. You'd need an Apple TV. I can see your problem. You wouldn't want to support Apple. Let alone suffer the mockery from your friends. Well, hopefully you can r00t the Chromestick and "buy" an app for it just like you can "buy" AirPlay for Windows and droid.

• Reply 65 of 148
    snova wrote: »
    If I were Google, I would release product "experiments" using someone else brand name first to see if they stick. Hey, there is an idea.

Google Marketing Thesaurus

I think cocaine is covered however; Aunt or Aunt Nora, Batman or Bazulco, Hubba, Bernice, Bernie, Bernie's flakes or Bernie's Gold Dust, Big bloke, Big C, Big flake, Big rush C, C dust, C game, Candy C, Birdie Powder, Bouncing Powder, Bolivian Marching Powder, Blow, Stash, Girl, Snow, Star, Stardust, ect.
  • Reply 66 of 148

If the apps that enable AirPlay are legit -- I'll swallow my pride there. But, my inclination is that they're less then legitimate otherwise many more devices would support it.

• Reply 67 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I enjoy the Apple producsts I have for different reasons (build quality, ease of use, support, etc.).  But I find it utterly absurd to harbour such disdain for Google, simply because they employ a different business model that actually enables mass market adoption of technologies.  If the mass market used the Apple model, it's likely that the number of people that use computers and smartphones would be half (or less) of what it is today.  At the end of the day, companies like Microsoft (during the PC wars) and Google today have done the masses a service by lowering the barriers to entry into the personal tech game.

Lots of people here will laugh about $100 Androids.  If I was poor and lived in a developing country, I wouldn't be laughing much.  I'd be far more grateful for Google making that $100 Android phone possible than some $600 iPhone that I may never be able to afford in my lifetime.  The more I read tech forums, the more I realize, how much most of the complaints are simply first-world problems.  And now that there's a billion smartphones out there, it gets interesting, because the growth market isn't the first world any more....

How about Microsoft sells you products while Google sells you to advertisers (the same point I was making on my previous post).  I hope that makes my point clearer.

If you are ok with you being used by Google and trading your personal information for free services then fine but a lot of people doesn't know about this and some might not like it too.

I don't live in any first world country, and I am not blessed with a lot of resources either. I know what Android did to the market and I believe in competition. My Girlfriend had an Android,I had no problem with that as long as she refrain using Google services as much as possible. it's Google's business model that disturbs me.

• Reply 68 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

So why doesn't Chromestick use it then? Or DLNA or WiDi or Miracast or anything else. Why not at least pull a Samsung and just clone it. Why hasn't Samesung done this already? Chromestick should be AirPlay (or ChomePlay or whatever) on a $35 stick with improvements because Google just makes everything better. What's with the convoluted method that Chromestick uses?

Moreover, since you can just "buy" AirPlay for Windows / droid why even buy a Chromestick in the first place. AirPlay is way better then Chromestick.

Oh, right. You'd need an Apple TV. I can see your problem. You wouldn't want to support Apple. Let alone suffer the mockery from your friends. Well, hopefully you can r00t the Chromestick and "buy" an app for it just like you can "buy" AirPlay for Windows and droid.

<s>Google would not do that.. they are "open" and they do not do evil.  They simply "care" about every one and think that it is an injustice to have to pay the absurdly high $100 cost of entry into TV streaming market that some of their money greedy product focused competitors are demanding out of poor consumers.   As a result, they are using their humanitarian budget to deliver to you a high end device for a more reasonable and affordable price of $35 (including shipping and handling).  Act now and they were even throw in 3 free months of Netflix (while supplies last) and a copy of their "do no evil" Chrome browser for free. Call now! </s>

• Reply 69 of 148

Quote:

Budget to support 1 Yr  Internet TV Streaming with ChromeCast

Big 1080p HDTV = ~$1000

already have it

SmartPhone or Tablet = ~$500 

already have it

Broadband $40/mo *12 mo = ~$500

already have it

Netflix $8/mo * 12 mo  = ~100

already have it

==========================

Total ~$2100

Price wiling to Budget for streaming device.  $35.   ChromeCast percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above. ~1.67%

Compare to "Expensive" AppleTV. $99.  AppleTV percentage of overall setup and 1 year operational cost above ~4.7%. 

Apple TV doesn't require a TV to display?

Apple TV doesn't need broadband connection?

Apple TV doesn't need Netflix subscription to see Netflix?

Are you for real?

I just don't get what motivates people to get so laser focused on saving money on the small stuff.  It's entertaining to see so many willing to trip over dollars, trying to pick up pennies. To invest so much money on setup and services only to go cheap on the part that actually drives the viewing experience.  Its like buying a Ferrari and then driving around for hours looking for the cheapest no-brand minimal grade fuel you can find.   

• Reply 70 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

If the apps that enable AirPlay are legit -- I'll swallow my pride there. But, my inclination is that they're less then legitimate otherwise many more devices would support it.

Want ketchup with that? 

Windows:

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

Linux:

http://www.firstain.com/index.php/2011/01/23/airplay-on-linux-as-easy-as-1-2-3/

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayerProKey

• Reply 71 of 148

Quote:

<s>Google would not do that.. they are "open" and they do not do evil.  They simply "care" about every one and think that it is an injustice to have to pay the absurdly high $100 cost of entry into TV streaming market that some of their money greedy product focused competitors are demanding out of poor consumers.   As a result, they are using their humanitarian budget to deliver to you a high end device for a more reasonable and affordable price of $35 (including shipping and handling).  Act now and they were even throw in 3 free months of Netflix (while supplies last) and a copy of their "do no evil" Chrome browser for free. Call now! </s>

<s> :D </s>

• Reply 72 of 148

You're sure AirPlay doesn't require a private key to work and they havn't just captured that and included it. You know just like how "legit" DVD / Blu-Ray backup software works?

• Reply 73 of 148
    snova wrote: »

Yeah and Apple sends people over to your house to watch over cats while your on holiday.
  • Reply 74 of 148
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Google's TV strategy in a nutshell:

1. Google TV: just like WebTV, with broadband and HDTV resolution

2. Nexus Q: just like Apple TV, but 3X the price, no content, and spherical

3. Chromecast: totally unlike 1. and 2. because they totally failed

4. Wait for Apple to roll out their real television strategy

5. Attempt to copy Apple's real television strategy without getting sued too much

• Reply 75 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

They interviewed a guy that develops the songza app, and he said it something that I think is the reason this dongle is amazing. He said Google just gave app developers access to the consumers living room.

Developers don't have to waste time developing for Roku or Google TV or Apple TV. They can just add lines of code to their app, and the app instantly has access to the TV.

I'm sure in the near future, most music apps will add Chromecast support, most video apps. I won't be surprised if Dropbox, Google Drive, and maybe Skydive start implementing Google Cast support.

So to everyone saying "just get A Roku". Right now Roku has more apps, but it won't in a year.

Now this would be interesting, If only someone would develop an App to stream files/movies from pc so that I won't have to use Chrome browser.  I hate Apple TV for not being able to stream movie files, always have to convert them for iTunes.

• Reply 76 of 148

Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post

... I hate Apple TV for not being able to stream movie files, always have to convert them for iTunes.

Haters gonna hate.

Trollers gonna troll.

Welcome to AppleInsider!

• Reply 77 of 148

Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Google sure did hire a good 'Reputation Management' team to combat negative reviews this time. 

Obvious.  Just look at how many negative comments on this thread have been posted by users with 30 or fewer posts.  Makes you wonder how much Google pays per post.  What is it, 10 cents?  Anybody?

• Reply 78 of 148
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Google's TV strategy in a nutshell:

5. Attempt to copy Apple's real television strategy without getting sued too much

You do know that the Roku was released before the Apple TV and Linux set tops have been around since the early 00's. What is Google copying that hasn't already been done a hundreds times before?
  • Reply 79 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Obvious.  Just look at how many negative comments on this thread have been posted by users with 30 or fewer posts.  Makes you wonder how much Google pays per post.  What is it, 10 cents?  Anybody?

Wait why would google be paying for negative comments on it own product? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The pro google posts would be paid for in this "negative" article...

• Reply 80 of 148
    daredevil wrote: »
    Now this would be interesting, If only someone would develop an App to stream files/movies from pc so that I won't have to use Chrome browser.  I hate Apple TV for not being able to stream movie files, always have to convert them for iTunes.

VLC.