LA public schools to deploy 31K Apple iPads this year, supply all 640K students in 2014

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnikdo View Post

Is it lost on anyone that Apple is not really discounting the prices. They are milking our schools. That is absolutely shameful! They should sell them just above or at cost! Especially since it creates iPad users and benefits their future sales. I like Apple products but dislike their business practices. They are NOT a good citizen. And that is something we should require of all our companies, public and private. Has anyone noted that the cost of ebook textbooks is as high as the printed version. Companies and investors are parasitizing our schools and children while we sit back and watch. Let's just wait and see how much advertising is presented to schoolchildren on these devices.

If we don't demand low pricing for products our schools then we pay that cost through taxes. Those tax dollars are better spent on salaries that attract good teachers. Teachers are some of the most important members of our society and we should recognize that. They are more important than CEOs! (No, I am not a teacher nor do I work in education. And I own two ipads)

The Google Nexus 7/10 are great tables at a much lower cost (as I said, I own an iPad but know value when I see it. If I didn't already have a lot of apps on the iPad, I would switch). I will not be surprised to see there are not some kickbacks happening to those in the LA school system that chose the most expensive solution on the market.

Their business practices are far more sound than Google's..  How long did it take Google to get a Find my Phone app?  It's been on Apple's products for several YEARS.  Apple TVs have been used in the educational system since they first came out.  The Educational system has been taking advantage of iTunes U for a LONG time.  Apple spends a lot of money for that FREE service that doesn't generate any ad revenue.  It costs Apple money to pay Akamai for content delivery, which comes out of Apple's back pocket.  iBooks Authoring software is free, so Apple spent and spends development time in that FREE product that doesn't generate advertising revenue.  Apple's has been a VERY good fit for the Educational system.  Or how about the development of the Management software for the Enterprise customers?  Nexus doesn't have that either.  Oops.

• Reply 82 of 89

Quote:

Is it lost on anyone that Apple is not really discounting the prices. They are milking our schools. That is absolutely shameful! They should sell them just above or at cost! Especially since it creates iPad users and benefits their future sales. I like Apple products but dislike their business practices. They are NOT a good citizen. And that is something we should require of all our companies, public and private. Has anyone noted that the cost of ebook textbooks is as high as the printed version. Companies and investors are parasitizing our schools and children while we sit back and watch. Let's just wait and see how much advertising is presented to schoolchildren on these devices.

If we don't demand low pricing for products our schools then we pay that cost through taxes. Those tax dollars are better spent on salaries that attract good teachers. Teachers are some of the most important members of our society and we should recognize that. They are more important than CEOs! (No, I am not a teacher nor do I work in education. And I own two ipads)

The Google Nexus 7/10 are great tables at a much lower cost (as I said, I own an iPad but know value when I see it. If I didn't already have a lot of apps on the iPad, I would switch). I will not be surprised to see there are not some kickbacks happening to those in the LA school system that chose the most expensive solution on the market.

Kickbacks?  NOPE.  Apple doesn't do kickbacks.  Where do you get off with making such a slanderous accusation like that? Because you think that because companies like Samsung pay spiff money to reseller sales reps?  Apple is very by the book when it comes to doing business.  I've done business with them and other companies selling to various corporate and government markets and Apple is VERY much by the book, which I can't say that about other large companies.

They don't normally give free product to get people to buy their product, they have a loaner pool from which to provide evaluation units like most companies do, but they don't just hand out free product.  That's why they keep such good margins.  

STOP MAKING FALSE ACCUSATIONS ABOUT APPLE.  They aren't some sleazy company trying to buy market share.

• Reply 83 of 89

Quote:

From historical perspective Apple spends the least amount of money towards lobbying.  Every time I've seen any comparisons between all of the major software/hardware companies, Apple is the lowest.  Samsung is actually amongst the highest, and Google was pretty high on the list.  Google's trying to get their driverless cars to be driven on public roads which is a bunch of lawsuits, just WAITING to happen.  

• Reply 84 of 89

Quote:

FYI, Apple does have Educational pricing and they offer faculty and students the ability to purchase select Apple products at a discount.  But it depends on which product they are offering and what discount they offer.  But if you are a registered student of faculty, you can go to their on-line Educational discount store or ask any Apple Store rep what the discount might be on their products.  So, there are discounts on certain products to people in the educational system.

When software costs were higher for various higher end apps Apple sold, they at one point were giving HUGE discounts, but they've been lowering the costs for s/w titles to everyone instead, I don't know what they do with regards to s/w titles other than lowering the prices, but they have large volume purchase discounts programs. But since you aren't buying large amounts of products, you don't get exposed to their discount structure.

• Reply 85 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="vnikdo" url="/t/158727/la-public-schools-to-deploy-31k-apple-ipads-this-year-supply-all-640k-students-in-2014/40#post_2375968"]Is it lost on anyone that Apple is not really discounting the prices. [/QUOTE]

Except they are.

[QUOTE]They should sell them just above or at cost![/QUOTE]

How about you run a multi-billion dollar business with 100 billion in cash before gracing us with your genius business practices.

[QUOTE]They are NOT a good citizen.[/QUOTE]

They're a company, so that makes sense.

[QUOTE]Has anyone noted that the cost of ebook textbooks is as high as the printed version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for magically making this Apple's fault. If you want to keep pretending that, you're going to need to prove it.

[QUOTE]Let's just wait and see how much advertising is presented to schoolchildren on these devices.[/QUOTE]

Well, zero on Apple devices.

[QUOTE]Those tax dollars are better spent on salaries that attract good teachers.[/QUOTE]

Meritocracy, not bureaucracy. That's more important first.

[QUOTE]The Google Nexus 7/10 are great tables at a much lower cost[/QUOTE]

Neither of those statements are true, factoring in cost of ownership.
  • Reply 86 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except they are.

How about you run a multi-billion dollar business with 100 billion in cash before gracing us with your genius business practices.

They're a company, so that makes sense.

Thanks for magically making this Apple's fault. If you want to keep pretending that, you're going to need to prove it.

Well, zero on Apple devices.

Meritocracy, not bureaucracy. That's more important first.

Neither of those statements are true, factoring in cost of ownership.

I wish people would grow up and not buy Google Android crap.  It's probably, IMO, the worse offender of violating sound business practices with regards to IT products and all they are doing is screwing up the IT industry.  It's bad enough Dell and others clone mfg that don't care about making quality products and not having to resort to "buying the business" discounting tactics, which is sleazy.  The Computer industry is already screwed up and so is the smartphone and tablet industry by these low priced, low quality companies that prey on people's ignorance that only look at price and specs and ignore everything else regarding computer platforms.  Unfortunately, Linux is another platform that's trying to sneak up and offer a marginal solution for the masses.

• Reply 87 of 89
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

It's not milking insofar that nobody is twisting the directors' arms, holding them at gunpoint and forcing them to buy those ipads. Nor is the ipad something that every school must have. I like to believe the school did their tests and studies, weighed the pros agains the cons, and finally concluded that the ipad represented better value for money despite its higher price tag. 

Ultimately, it's a fairly straightforward thing. I sell this product X and Price Y. You like it, and are willing to pay so much for it, you buy it. You don't like it, or can't pay for it, then choose something else. 

Else, by this logic, every company dealing with schools are parasites (even those supplying office supplies and toiletries) if they charge them market rates. Come on, they are all companies making a living here!

• Reply 88 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

My little school district in Iowa is buying iPads for the middle school (and Mac laptops -- can't remember which) for the high school. Neighboring districts have done so, too. I know of a few districts in Michigan that have done the same. 

I could, frankly, be more enthusiastic than I am about the purchase here. For $600 per student (there's an educational discount, but then about $150 of apps per tablet), I can think of better uses for the money. Especially when half the kids already have one; they should at least check which families can provide one already.

The thing that MAY be part of the reason why the Schools provide the laptops for all children as to not segregate the kids, plus there is management s/w that these schools are MOST likely going to be using and they might have some security reasons for doing what they are doing.  If I were you, I would sit down with the person in charge of IT and ask them what their reasons are instead of conjecture. If I were a parent and I was sending the kids to school, I would simply ask the school what they are planning on doing as to make a decision to buy my child a product or use the school's and figure out what makes the best sense.  I would certainly not allow my children to log into various web sites that I feel are inappropriate for children to engage in on-line discussions until they were old enough to take responsibility for themselves.  I run into a TON of kids that are on various on-line forums, YouTube, etc. that simply shouldn't be there.  If you have concerns, take it up with the school personally.  I think it's great that schools are providing these tools, I would have loved it if I were a kid.  I know some college students that are taking classes at a local State run college and they are paying upwards of $900 for just books for only 4 courses and they can sometimes rent them for about $500. I think that's ridiculous.  I think the school should definitely do the iBook route and distribute them for free or a minimal amount of money.  FWIW, the kids respond to iPads, they seem to gravitate towards them and anything that gets these kids to study is what it's all about.  But schools have to decide which platform to use and how to manage it, and Apple's been among the first to get involved with the education market. I remember back in the mid 80's after the Apple ll+ had been discontinued that there were schools STILL willing to pay $900 for a basic full Apple II+ system, USED, without software and this is back in the 80's when $900 is more like several thousand dollars in today's money. So for a school to spend $750 per kid is not that much, especially when these things can last a few years.  If you think about it, if they keep each unit for 3 years, that's how much per year? $200 roughly?  That's NOTHING.  They are easy and cheaper to manage  than desktops/laptops.

• Reply 89 of 89

Quote:

Here is a link to a recent history of the top US companies and how much each has spent in lobbying.  Google is the highest....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/02/these-tech-companies-are-spending-millions-on-high-priced-lobbyists/

Apple is and has generally been the lowest in terms of spending money on lobbyist.