Google caught using misleading report to claim Nexus 7 outsold iPad in Japan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Isn't this supposed to be an Apple news site?

Half the articles these days exist to provide red meat to the faithful, rather than useful information about Apple. Who has decided that constantly dredging up fairly inconsequential criticisms of Google or Samsung is a good editorial direction, rather than actually providing stimulating material about Apple?

I love my Apple products, but I don't have to run down Google ten times a day to prove it.

I believe the purpose of this website, their particular niche, is to inform Apple enthusiasts who have a stake in AAPL.  From that perspective, the various stories regarding market manipulation by competitors makes for very relevant reading.  It's not about bashing the competition, it's about understanding the current market position and environment.

• Reply 22 of 103
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Nexus 7 has a fairly large gamer following as well. I'm not a huge fan of 7" tablets but the new one is looking pretty good to me, I will probably end up picking up one to use like you said, a reader. I looked at the iPad Mini and wasn't to impress with the screen, at least when compared to my Nook, I think the Nexus 7 is a better deal with a much better screen. I don't need the full iPad experience as you put it for a eBooks reader and casual surfing.

Why would you go from a Nook to Nexus 7? If reading is your primary purpose, what are you unhappy about with the Nook? Seem to me Nook would be a better reader.

• Reply 23 of 103
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Citing a favorable market study report done by an independent outside party is hardly unusual. Apple cites favorable studies and properly ignores unfavorable ones. For example IDC reports are both in and out depending on how it reflects on Apple. Ford, GM, Toyota and Hyundai all trot out various and sundry market research reports to prove they lead in this segment or that, even sometimes appearing to be at odds with a competitors leading claim. It's simply typical business and advertising.

No particular reason that it's newsworthy when companies use studies that shine on them whether it's Google or Apple or GM doing the crowing.
  • Reply 24 of 103

Of course. Reminds me of the articles about how Android Tablets are crushing apple. Oh really?

http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-family-web-traffic-dominates-while-all-others-dwindle-in-latest-chitika-study-23291518/

All of those sold Android tablets are just shipped and aren't being used. 

• Reply 25 of 103
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

As soon as I heard the "Nexus 7 outsells iPad in Japan" claim I knew it had to be bullshit. It just did not make any sense. Eventually, the truth comes out. 

• Reply 26 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I believe the purpose of this website, their particular niche, is to inform Apple enthusiasts who have a stake in AAPL.  From that perspective, the various stories regarding market manipulation by competitors makes for very relevant reading.  It's not about bashing the competition, it's about understanding the current market position and environment.

Oh don't kid yourself. This stuff is fan boy food. Schadenfreude!

• Reply 27 of 103
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's never a good day to be a Fandroid, but today is an especially bad day for Fandroids and Fandroid companies.:D

Fandroids and Fandroid companies constantly lie and cheat, what else is new?:smokey:
  • Reply 28 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Speak of AAPL, anyone notice it has been on a good run for a while now, even when the rest of the market is down?  At this rate they should be up to $500 by fall.

I think the media wanted some drama with AAPL.  It got really old to keep reporting crazy revenues and profits. Which they still earn btw. So after a while, they decided to report that Apple doomed and that Android is all the rage.   No doubt, the media will do a flip flop again when they want more drama.

• Reply 29 of 103
    relic wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of it either, I prefer reading about Google on forums specific to them. These are my favorite English speaking Google related forums; http://www.gforums.net/,http://chromespot.com/ and http://www.chromebookforum.com/. They don't even mention Apple on them except if it's about running a specific task on a Mac. Even the Android forums I frequent have nowhere near the amount of bashing Appleinsider does. It's getting to the point where it's comical, just plain petty.
    Android forums have plenty of material that keeps them busy, since they have a lot of manufacturers that put out new products.

Apple on the other hand has 2 or 3 products, which has been condensed into 2-3 months release cycles. So all Apple related websites would really have no content for 9 months if they didn't bash other products.

If you really think about it it's sad times to be an Apple only website. Apple products and news are increasingly less exciting as times go by. Their products are becoming pedestrian and have fallen into Microsoft's Windows style of releasing few upgrades to "please the crowd". I mean the iPhone 5 looked like the 4S, which looked just like the 4, which closely resembled the 3GS, which was exactly like the 3G. I mean, at this point anyone with Photoshop can make the iPhone 5S

Its no wonder this website posts news of competitors. like Apple, AI is still trying to remain relevant. :D
  • Reply 30 of 103
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    @ankleskater - are you being stupid because you are or you want? Reporting to public something on dubious grounds gets you fired in most public companies... Also, the comment about bad news for Android & co. - have you been living under a rock dude? How about that shit that Apple has to take from self proclaimed 'analysts' and inventing sensationalist...

The more proper journalists dissect Google/Android/Samsung's 'winning' claims the better and yes, it's going to hurt some individuals like you;)
  • Reply 31 of 103
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Borrowing from a popular phrase, reality has a pro-Apple bias.

• Reply 32 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

If you really think about it it's sad times to be an Apple only website. Apple products and news are increasingly less exciting as times go by. Their products are becoming pedestrian and have fallen into Microsoft's Windows style of releasing few upgrades to "please the crowd". I mean the iPhone 5 looked like the 4S, which looked just like the 4, which closely resembled the 3GS, which was exactly like the 3G. I mean, at this point anyone with Photoshop can make the iPhone 5S

Same can be said of Samsung, Galaxy S4 looks like S3 which looks like the S2. 

btw.. you may want to revisit Microsoft Windows styling changes.  XP UI --> Vista UI?  Windows 7 UI --> Windows 8 UI?  Change for the sake of change, does not always work out. It tends to please those which get bored easily, which I would not call "the crowd". The only time Window pleased the crowd was to undo their radical UI efforts in previous releases (Vista and Windows 8). 

• Reply 33 of 103
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Android forums have plenty of material that keeps them busy, since they have a lot of manufacturers that put out new products.

Apple on the other hand has 2 or 3 products, which has been condensed into 2-3 months release cycles. So all Apple related websites would really have no content for 9 months if they didn't bash other products.

Its no wonder this website posts news of competitors. like Apple, AI is still trying to remain relevant. :D

Then we should be focusing on what we are doing with our Macs or should be doing. There are plenty of professionals on this site that would gladly throw some advice around. How about iOS programming, tips on how to get started, some example apps maybe. A Hackintosh segment would bring in some new subscribers. There are a lot of things that as a community we could come up with, it will just takes a few admins to organize our suggestions and make them into reality. I've looked extensively threw this site and the threads that get the most hits are the ones that feed our little daemons, talking about other company's and their products(in a bad light of course). This has really got to stop, the forum is becoming a Hollywood Gossip column but with technology. Am I wrong here, do all of you like this?
  • Reply 34 of 103
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

That's the problem with all of Google's numbers regarding Android, especially those given during I/O and the Nexus event.

They are all either skewed, based in questionable statistics, such as activations or completely arbitrary given without any kind of context, such as the increase in revenue per user.

I've been saying this for a long time, but lying to your third party developers won't get Google very far...

• Reply 35 of 103

Google and Samsung - cut from the same cloth. Creeps me out! 

• Reply 36 of 103
    I've heard from a Tokyo resident that Japan's Apple stores always have a line stretching around the block, at any given time. I'm willing to bet that those seven stores account for an extremely large volume of iPad sales. That's a huge piece of the pie to ignore.
  • Reply 37 of 103
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    riss wrote: »
    @ankleskater - are you being stupid because you are or you want? Reporting to public something on dubious grounds gets you fired in most public companies.

No sir. It makes you an advertising executive. :D
  • Reply 38 of 103
    @relic

Yes please. Some little editorials about awesome apps on iOS. Or maybe an editorial on the process of app development for newcomer developers. Even talking about cool little Cydia hacks that make the iPhone more functional, if only just to shed light on how different people use the iPhone.

It just seems that all the news articles here on AI are real narrow and don't broaden the scope to different groups. It just seems like AI is a APPL mouthpiece versus an Apple news site. They're more interested in profits and making the competition look bad versus highlighting the awesome uses of Apple products.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    Wishful thinking, no it's about getting hit's to the site and making it interesting for the reader. Flogging the competition is the easiest way to do that.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Old-school Google: "Don't be evil."

Google right now: "Don't be evil.  Unless we get paid.  And lying isn't really truly evil anyway.  Is it?"